What are some of the harshest beers you've had?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Derranged, Mar 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atone315

atone315 Initiate (0) Oct 8, 2008 Wisconsin

Mikkeller Black Hole, all variations....and then Mikkeller Black. wOw.

2. gatornation

gatornation Grand High Pooh-Bah (9,502) Apr 18, 2007 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Flat earth northwest passage

3. MrGreengenes2

MrGreengenes2 Initiate (0) Aug 9, 2008 Indiana

Duchesse comes to mind. Just so much balsamic vinegar. I love sours but could not get into those sweet and acidic flavors.

4. bubseymour

bubseymour Grand Pooh-Bah (4,656) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Agree. I had to drainpour this one. Also the DFH Old School Barleywine and Mad Elf were just too harsh. Several of the Flying Dogs are harsh to my recollection (Snake Bite/Tire Bite etc...)

5. Sneers

Sneers Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2009 Pennsylvania

Not that it was the fault of the brewer, but I had a SN Bigfoot served too cold, such that it was so harshly bitter it was almost undrinkable.

I remember Brooklyn Black Ops being really hot as well.

6. teorn88

teorn88 Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2010 England

I disliked Pumking quite alot. Tasted exactly like Thai food to me. And I don't like (liquid) Thai food.

7. Absolut

Absolut Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2011 California

Mephistopheles' Stout
    ouch.

8. acevenom

acevenom Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2011 Louisiana

I'd like to try one with a little more age on it. It would probably help mellow the harshness quite a bit. This was a bit harsh to me at first, but I tolerated it a little more once I worked my way through the four pack. It's still easily the weakest of their Imperial Series.

9. bigflatsbeerman

bigflatsbeerman Zealot (631) Nov 2, 2005 New York

Brooklyn Local 1, I bought it in Delaware on vacation. I hated it. It had a strong alcohol tatse and I don't think I could finish the 750 ml bootle.

10. bigflatsbeerman

bigflatsbeerman Zealot (631) Nov 2, 2005 New York

I thought of a second one which may be the worst I've had. This taught me that even a good brewery can brew something your tastebuds reject. It SN Ruthless Rye IPA. I don't think I could even smell one of those beers without getting sick. It's a good beer I know, just not for me.

11. beergod1

beergod1 Savant (1,123) May 2, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

LOVE me some Hoppin Frog...but the Hop Damn triple was toooo much. It's good in "Small" amounts, and never have it as one of your first beers of the night at a beer festival. It will blow out your Tongue. I think it's worse than Devil Dancer....IMHO.

12. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (1,191) Jan 13, 2006 New Mexico

Deschutes Abyss was the harshest beer I ever tasted anywhere, anytime. People said that year's beer was infected, but this bottle had no hint of infection. Instead it had metallic overtones with subtle hints of excessive molasses and other equally unpleasant flavors.

13. industrialswill

industrialswill Zealot (743) Feb 5, 2010 Washington

Old school malt liquor was pretty harsh. Some of the newer stuff isn't so bad.
    Over cooked, high gravity beer with a shitload of hops and fermented with too high of a temperature is a fine recipe for nasty, harsh beer that only a true pirate of the high seas could enjoy.

14. hoplover888

hoplover888 Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2010 Illinois

bourbon barrel aged Santas Little Helper and Avery Beast were pretty painful for me.

15. lokieman

lokieman Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2011 Oklahoma
    Deactivated

Lenny's Bittersweet RIPA was very harsh for what I was expecting. A 10% IIPA is not uncommon but this one was much harsher than others previous. I struggled to finish the bottle...alcohol not hidden well at all

16. pschul4

pschul4 Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2011 Illinois

Ninja Vs Unicorn destroyed my mouth in ways I cannot explain. Harshest by far IMO

17. fartmaster

fartmaster Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2011 California

drakes denogginizer hit my taste buds hard and i fell asleep, in the middle of the day, like 10 minutes after drinking it

18. LaneMeyer

LaneMeyer Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2011 California

I bought a handful of Sucabas. I drank two and they were great. The third one I drank had a rubbing alcohol taste to it. Probably just something strange going on with my palate that day, but it was definitely unpleasant.

19. jegross2

jegross2 Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2010 Illinois

Lenny's RIPA. UGH. You can have mine for free.

20. rawfish

rawfish Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2010 California

North Coast Brother Thelonious, metal trash can aged solvent soaked raisin banana bread. The horror.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.