What are some of your must haves at EBF 2016?

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by jwc6866, Jan 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwc6866

jwc6866 Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2015 Massachusetts

My first one EBF. I live 20 minutes from Tree House so pretty much see them regularly. Any suggestions for me?

Jason likes this.
  2. scstephs22

scstephs22 Initiate (0) May 20, 2014 Massachusetts

used to live in asheville nc and my favorite brewery WICKED WEED is coming so that will be my first stop

3. mstrcrwly

mstrcrwly Aspirant (216) Dec 21, 2013 New York
    Trader

Wicked Weed Freak of Nature is superb

rhester14 and jwc6866 like this.
  4. mstrcrwly

mstrcrwly Aspirant (216) Dec 21, 2013 New York
    Trader

Also Finback BQE and Oscillation..Barrier Atypical..HOLY SHIT! GRIMM MAPLE BOURBON DOUBLE NEGATIVE..Other Half IPA,s..Surly Abrasive..

rhester14 and jwc6866 like this.
  5. PeteKuncis

PeteKuncis Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2014 Massachusetts

Alternate between long and short lines. Some of my most pleasant surprises from EBF2015 were the ones with no lines.

6. besch64

besch64 Initiate (79) Mar 16, 2013 New York

Missed out on Funky Buddha's Last Buffalo in the Park last year, definitely will not be missing their imperial stout variant this year: "Nikolai Vorlauf Imperial Russian Stout aged in Cabernet and Bourbon barrels and blended, with cocoa nibs and cherries added."

jwc6866 likes this.
  7. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Poo-Bah (3,470) Sep 11, 2002 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I hear I should try the gin-barrel-aged beers from Strangeways, Short's, Revolution, & Cambridge Brewing Co.

Johnct and jwc6866 like this.
  8. barroomhero1977

barroomhero1977 Initiate (165) Nov 2, 2010 Rhode Island

Basically anything from Hardywood.... they are awesome.

jlordi12, jwc6866 and Jason like this.
  9. TheOneTC

TheOneTC Initiate (182) Aug 23, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Maple.
    Bourbon.
    Double.
    Negative.............

Mikexw and jwc6866 like this.
  10. mpmcguire11

mpmcguire11 Aspirant (254) Sep 6, 2014 Rhode Island

Finally going to get to Trillium...Perhaps tomorrow even.

SveNss0N and jwc6866 like this.
  11. MenardMa

MenardMa Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2011 Connecticut

Agreed. This is the way to go. Plenty of awesome beers available at the places that don't have a line across the room.

WasupBeerQueen likes this.
  12. Johnct

Johnct Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2014 New York

I live 20 min from Tree House but I must say they will be my first stop. I've heard Truth was one of their first stouts to go through their barrel-aging program and everyone who tried it raved about it being one of the best stouts ever made. I'm not sure where Give Me Truth differs from the original, but my expectations have never been higher for a beer.

Other than that, I'm excited for any of the gin or tequila barrel-aged beers, and I'm pumped to see what the NERAX booth is offering.

Super pumped for my first EBF, but I was wondering if anyone can tell me an estimate of how many beers I should expect to be able to try.

13. RichD

RichD Champion (812) Mar 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

I don't have a ticket, but I would sprint right to the Grimm line and have that Maple Bourbon Barrel Double Negative. Also, Tree House of course, but you'll be waiting 20 minutes to try beers from them.

Also Wicked Weed's selected looks great. If I was going I'd make a stop at Surly to enjoy all of the stuff that doesn't get sent to New England.

WasupBeerQueen and Johnct like this.
  14. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2009 Connecticut

Rare Barrel

15. Todd

Todd Founder (6,698) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

That's really up to the individual, but remember to eat, drink water and practice moderation to ensure and safe and enjoyable fest.

16. jbaker67

jbaker67 Meyvn (1,290) Jul 1, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Completely agree. Last year we did Tree House (very long line) and got to try Good Morning. From there we walked to the Lost Abbey's Table (no line) and were able to try V015. Two of the three beers of the night for me and completely different line situations.

I would also suggest checking out NERAX. They are always a must stop for me.

SirHefeweizen, Lupin and rhester14 like this.
  17. Coorsy

Coorsy Defender (684) Jul 11, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Must trys for me this year would have to be Grimm, Treehouse, Wicked Weed, and Treehouse.

I mean everything is a must try but seeing as its simply not possible to drink them all these will be among my first few stops!

18. blisscent

blisscent Devotee (462) Aug 16, 2015 Rhode Island

I think there are about 100 of them, but OEC, Rare Barrell, Wicked Weed, Almanac, Upland, Allagash are some of the better ones for an extreme sour experience.

19. warrendietrich2001

warrendietrich2001 Crusader (717) Feb 13, 2013 Nevada
    Trader

Going Friday and Saturday and I can honestly say I don't care how long the line is for Jjulisss by Tree House I have to try it. This beer justifies my entire 4 day trip to Boston. Once I hit up Tree House will be making a beeline to Sixpoint as this is the brewery I am most excited to be trying.

20. Kanger

Kanger Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2013 New York

21. jebiker852

jebiker852 Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2015 Massachusetts

Straight to treehouse, then other half, rare barrel, hardywood, surly, nerax then laps

22. bovineblitzkrieg

bovineblitzkrieg Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2008 New York

North for sure. All of them but esp God Complex.

Mwags1 and Adirondack47 like this.
  23. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Defender (602) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

Best surprise from last year was Two Roads' Gueuze. So keep an open mind and ask others at the fest what they've enjoyed.

pinhead, Ericness, zid and 2 others like this.
  24. TonyVT

TonyVT Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2012 Vermont

I'm going to hit up any brewer that doesn't have a line and then on to the next without a line and so on. That's been the plan the last few years we have been going.

rhester14 likes this.
  25. Ilovelampandbeer

Ilovelampandbeer Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2013 New York

I'll suck it up and wait at TH first and move on from there...missed Good Morning last year because I waited and it's my top remaining Unhad whale so I need to suck it up...I have a feeling that it won't be my favorite from the booth, though...Rare barrel, surly are a couple other priorities but I have to say that anyone who doesn't know about Grimm should have them in mind...maple double negative and lumen sound absolutely tits

Robtobfest and WasupBeerQueen like this.
  26. scstephs22

scstephs22 Initiate (0) May 20, 2014 Massachusetts

I am going to EBF and love beer but am trying to like IPA"S but hasn;t quite happened yet!! Are there any recommendations of good IPA's that will be at the fest anyone recommends I try!! don;t like IPA's that are too bitter!! thanks

27. warrendietrich2001

warrendietrich2001 Crusader (717) Feb 13, 2013 Nevada
    Trader

If I recall 6 Point had a beer called 5 Beans. I originally had this in my top 4 beers to try. Now I see it is not on the list is there any chance it still may make it or are the beers that are on the list locked in at this point. Just trying to figure out the must haves over the two sessions I am attending.

rhester14 likes this.
  28. GreesyFizeek

GreesyFizeek Poo-Bah (10,751) Mar 6, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

Definitely get Lumen from Grimm!

29. rhester14

rhester14 Initiate (0) Oct 12, 2014 North Carolina

Agree strongly with this.

30. RobertColianni

RobertColianni Zealot (588) Nov 4, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

OEC, Proclimation, and The Rare Barrel stole the show last year.

jimmypa, JrGtr and blisscent like this.
  31. Giantspace

Giantspace Meyvn (1,030) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Not attending and dont do fests anymore but I always enjoyed the short lines. I found great beers that had no hype and also some really great beers from at the time unknowns. Never been to EBF so it could be different. Seems there are no "unknowns" there.

As Todd said.......eat and drink water well before the fest and during. Its not a race.

Enjoy

32. Patches826

Patches826 Meyvn (1,482) Aug 28, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society

Man, I could spend an entire session on Kane, Rare Barrel, Barreled Souls, and Wicked Weed alone.
    Something tells me the Wicked Weed line is gonna be like Funky Buddha's was last year. Here's hoping I'm wrong.

33. Sheppard

Sheppard Poo-Bah (2,281) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Me too and I think that BA is prepared for that by putting them in the same spot that FB was in last year.

34. aabuhanna

aabuhanna Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2014 Connecticut

Luckily you don't have to wait for Good Morning this year! It's not going to be there anymore.

35. Ilovelampandbeer

Ilovelampandbeer Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2013 New York

Yea I can't think of a more worthy replacement than vanilla bean triple shot lol

36. BltByKrmn

BltByKrmn Defender (669) Jan 16, 2013 New York

The entire Grimm lineup is incredible.

Kanger likes this.
  37. K_Awesome_Mo

K_Awesome_Mo Disciple (331) Nov 22, 2013 New Hampshire
    Society

Wait, no more Good Morning? It's still on the EBF list. Tell me more! A lack of Good Morning might change up my strategy.

38. K_Awesome_Mo

K_Awesome_Mo Disciple (331) Nov 22, 2013 New Hampshire
    Society

I may have answered my own question by checking their site: http://treehousebrew.com/ebf

This lineup is pretty freaking exciting, too! Really looking forward to Tree House

39. blisscent

blisscent Devotee (462) Aug 16, 2015 Rhode Island

The New lineup for Tree House:
    Give Me Truth
    Doppelganger
    Triple Shot
    Vanilla Bean Triple Shot
    King Julius

40. Dil_thebeerdrinking_do

Dil_thebeerdrinking_do Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2014 Georgia

Must try from WW is Framboos Morte! I was lucky enough to have it at the funkatorium for ba1. Will probably be the best sour there.

ChrisMyhre and blisscent like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.