What Are the Best Coffee Beers?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Flip4beers, Nov 10, 2021.

1. Flip4beers

Flip4beers Initiate (199) Feb 18, 2014 California
    Trader

I am always looking for the best coffee beer as much as anybody would look for the best barrel aged beer. I can say so far I've had two coffee beers that stood out the most is 2017 BCBS coffee and BA Alesmith Vietnamese speedway stout. What other recommendations or your best coffee beers would you consider the best in your list, cheers!

2. Fordcoyote15

Fordcoyote15 Meyvn (1,045) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Honestly, fresh Founders breakfast stout is probably as perfect as there ever will be. Yeah you can go over the top and do extreme, expresso, barrel aged cat poop aged coffee but at the end of the day there's something more to be said for simple and pure. Its a SNPA or a Weihenstephaner beer. Its just so well done it doesn't need the frills. The more I try new beers and have had extreme versions of whatever style, I can appreciate the perfection of the more simple ones.

sefus12, RyanK252, cuttysark and 35 others like this.
  3. Resistance88

Resistance88 Initiate (146) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

Speedway Stout
    Lagunitas Willetized
    Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout ( RIP)

4. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,673) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

A few of my favorites (think Coffee KDS is the only one with annual availability), in addition to others already mentioned.

Fieldwork Bean Machine
    Fremont BA Dark Star Coffee
    Firestone Parabajava
    Founders Underground Mountain
    Founders KBS Espresso
    Oskar Blues BA Ten Fidy Java

5. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Defender (616) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Boulevard Magic Drip is very tasty

6. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (3,180) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

So many good ones around these days, love it! Some recent favorites-

KBS espresso
    Supermassive Cafe Deth
    Magic Drip

7. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,378) Feb 22, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Are you only looking for barrel-aged coffee beers? If not, seek out Parish Reve Coffee Stout at any cost. @Roguer

8. Flip4beers

Trader

This post is for people who love coffee beer in general, BA or not. I have quite the list to try so thanks for all the input.

I don't think I've had the luck of trying Parrish Reve Coffee beer, but hopefully I can find a beer trader who can help me out.

#8 Flip4beers, Nov 10, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
  9. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,543) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Side Project's Coffee Shop Vibes
    Tree House's Double and Triple Shots
    Perennial's Sump
    Founder's Sumatra Mountain Brown
    City Barrel's Treat Yo Self
    Fremont's BA Dark Star: Coffee
    2nd Shift's Liquid Spiritual Delight: Blueprint Coffee
    Mikkeller's Beer Geek Breakfast
    Peche Mortel

I love coffee in my beer. Bunch of other great ones mentioned, but those are some more. Boulevard's Magic Drip is probably the best BA coffee stout deal right now.

I'll have to do some thinking on others.

10. mmmbeerNY

mmmbeerNY Devotee (463) Mar 5, 2014 New York

Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout was a good one, didn't know it was RIP status

Just bought a sixer of Flying Dog Kujo Cold Brew Porter, recommend that for beer that is distributed

Anyone in Hudson Valley, Obercreek's Cold Brew is like drinking coffee if you like that sort of beer

11. joerooster2

joerooster2 Initiate (29) Aug 18, 2020 District of Columbia

I really liked Oskar Blues Hotbox, I'm not a stout drinker unless they are low ABV (5-6%).

12. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (339) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Another shout out to Magic Drip, it was probably the best stout I've had this year. Mast Landing Strong feelings was a straight up coffee imperial stout and really tasty. I'm always down for some Founders Breakfast Stout and KBS Espresso is my favorite of the KBS family.

13. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,905) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Tweek RIP
    Sump

Not a lot to add I guess. OG tweek, before it got barrel treatment, was my favorite coffee beer ever. The barrels detracted from it, but it was still a great beer at that.

14. seakayak

seakayak Devotee (429) May 20, 2007 Massachusetts

If you like espresso, I'd recommend Péché Mortel from Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!

[​IMG]

KentT, sefus12, socon67 and 16 others like this.
  15. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Meyvn (1,421) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois

Coffee is my favorite adjunct, so I seek these beers and really enjoy solid efforts.

I’m limiting my suggestions to beer that is either regularly available, or produced regularly each year on a seasonal (*) basis.

In alphabetical order as these are all great:
    • AleSmith Speedway Stout (& variants)
    • Banger Brewing Morning Joe
    • Beachwood Mocha Machine *
    • Casa Humilde Cafecito *
    • Deschutes Obsidian Stout
    • Mikerphone It Smells Like Bean Spirit
    • Perennial Coffee Abraxas *
    • Perennial Sump *
    • Revolution Cafe Deth *
    • Revolution Supermassive Cafe Deth *
    • Spiteful G. F. Y. Stout *
    I definitely would like to try Peche Mortel of the ones suggested which I haven’t had.

16. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Aspirant (225) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania

Honestly anything is better than Stone's Coffee IPA's, Founders Breakfast is always my go to.

17. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Meyvn (1,248) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey

Terrapin Wake n Bake is pretty tasty.
    I’ll forego repeating all the other great ones mentioned or local options the OP has no chance of getting without trading.

18. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,253) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

When I want a coffee beer I look for Founders Breakfast Stout. Bell's Arabicadabra is a good one, and at the beginning of the year I was happy to see it on the brewing schedule for this fall, but it was removed shortly afterwards. So now I have to wait to see if it will appear again for next year.

19. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Meyvn (1,409) Oct 17, 2012 Texas
    Trader

Founders Breakfast Stout is the winner for me. And reasonably available. This is almost always in my fridge and probably in the top 5 beers I've bought my frequently.

As far as barrel aged beers, BCBS Coffee was always a treat. Big Bad Baptist and KBS are excellent as well.

20. CBlack85

CBlack85 Crusader (785) Jul 12, 2009 South Carolina
    Trader

The Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout was terrific, and reasonably priced

I also will agree with Founders Breakfast Stout and Terrapin Wake-n-Bake being great coffee beers as well

21. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,731) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

The original non-BA version of Avery Tweak (they used to call it Meph Addict) has never been topped IMO.

For stuff that's available on most shelves, I'm a fan of Epic's Big Bad Baptist. The normal one. When Epic opened in Denver and started using different roasters, that beer took off. No offense to SLC, but the coffee notes in those older ones just weren't great.

22. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (6,390) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

Sadly I no longer have Parish distro. Outer Light does a really damn good coffee porter, though - probably the most coffee-forward beer I'd ever had when it was first released.

My vote for best coffee beer is probably Peche Mortel. As @Domingo said, Tweak is fantastic, as well.

23. Hinda65

Hinda65 Aspirant (298) May 7, 2017 Utah
    Trader

Prairie Coffee Noir was my favorite..Not sure if they still brew it. I always had to buy it off MBC and I haven't seen it on there for a while.

None taken...We know everything is better in Colorado...Except maybe the Skiing

24. Providence

Providence Crusader (758) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

25. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (1,837) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

budget: OB Hotbox
    upscale: Perennial's (og) Sump - that was the closest to espresso beer as I've had.
    A lot of the other suggestions above reflect or depend on where you land on the beer to coffee taste spectrum. But I like a strong coffee taste.
    cheers!

26. Blogjackets

Blogjackets Savant (954) Nov 22, 2017 Ohio
    Society Trader

Agreed that FBS is fabulous. I’m another Arabicadabra fan and also noted its absence. Hopefully, it’s just a COVID casualty. They have had it on tap at the Eccentric Cafe in a barrel aged version - would love to try that one. I wonder if @LarryBell can comment…

Years ago I came across a Rogue beer named Fresh Roast that was amazing, but I have never seen it again. Perhaps local only now?

27. Resistance88

Trader

Now that i remembers Stone Dayman Coffee IPA i think is the best I ever had.
    Are we including Adjuct Coffee beer? Cuz Founders Breakfast has chocolate and other shit in it

Coffee only base beers should be a category them additionally adjuncted coffee beer in another or else well end up at pastry stout coffee beer

28. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Initiate (185) Jan 8, 2015 California

I just saw a tweet from FW about their anniversary ale which prompted me to ask myself, where is Velvet Merkin these days? I know it doesn't get a lot of respect because "it's too thin", but for me, especially now that I am drinking more lower ABV beers it did so many things right.

#28 deanzaZZR, Nov 10, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
  29. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (7,675) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

A couple of other coffee beers...

Jack Abbey's Coffee Bourbon-Barrel Aged Framinghammer

Eviltwin Brewing Aún Más Café Jesús

...I haven't had either one, but did notice them in a beer store today...

30. Flip4beers

Trader

I totally agree, I filter any app that would help me find any

31. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Defender (616) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Sump pricing is ridiculous at TW... I've had it on draft before and its tasty... but not 18-19 bucks a TWO pack tasty

32. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,543) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

It's semantics, but Sump was ~$15 per 750mL (~25oz) bottle here when that was the format. The cost per ounce change from that format to the 2x16oz is negligible (60 cents/oz vs. 59 cents/oz).

I enjoy Sump quite a bit, but tend to stick to just a 16oz can a year (~$8 locally, typically, and I'm on the wrong side of MO for Perennial). Definitely not the same value as Magic Drip or Breakfast Stout though, if you're looking for a weekly heavy stout with coffee.

33. readyski

readyski Aspirant (291) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

You really need look no further than 2 stalwarts, FBS and Speedway. I think both? are widely distributed, reasonably priced and delicious (and meet your 'spec')

34. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Initiate (185) Jan 8, 2015 California

I'll also toss in Port's Boardwalk Brown. I haven't seen it in quite a while. Time to track it down methinks.

35. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (461) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

The Genealogy series from HF have all been incredible. Not that easy to get obviously. For easier to get New England beers - Trill's PM Dawn and Night and Day series have several solid variants ranging from straight coffee stouts to pastry. Same w/TH Single/Double and Triple Shots-- those tend to be sweet but are quite amazing if you are into that stuff.

36. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (461) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Stone RIS espresso was incredible - miss that beer.

Providence, Singlefinpin, DIM and 6 others like this.
  37. Resistance88

Trader

Forgot about that. That was amazing as well.
    Also, Dayman Cofee IPA was incredible

38. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Aspirant (225) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania

Agreed, I wrote a review of the Stone Mocha IPA after drinking one of them. Big mistake! After about half way through the second beer it felt like I was trying to reel in Moby Dick to finish it, just painful.

39. BillAfromSoCal

BillAfromSoCal Devotee (400) Aug 24, 2020 California

I fully agree. I bought a single at Trader Joes and the wife and I liked it enough to go buy more. Very tasty for a reasonable price.

40. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,905) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Those son of Baptist brews with different roasters were awesome as well. Crooked stave had that coffee Baltic porter that was off the charts good too, and Santa fe Java stout is another fantastic example. Man, I knew I was blanking on some great beers.

@ChicagoJ Coffee is NOT an adjunct.