What are the best North Carolina beers/breweries to check out?

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by LafInfluenced, May 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LafInfluenced

LafInfluenced Initiate (145) Feb 26, 2013 California

I will be visiting my brother the next few days in North Carolina and I need to know what regional beers I should be drinking and what breweries/brewpups I should check out. I will be staying in the Greensboro/High Point area, but will be spending some time around Charlotte as well as the Raleigh/Durham area, so any suggestions around those areas would be ideal. I'm from California so I really enjoy my big, hoppy beers, but I'm open to any and all suggestions! Thanks!

2. charlottemoeron

charlottemoeron Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2013 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Probably a lot of other threads on this topic, so I will just give a few pcs of info on the areas I know.

In Charlotte check out NoDa Brewing and Birdsong ( they share a parking lot). There are several others and they are all good, but you will probably find what you are looking for at these 2. There are some great bottle shops as well in Charlotte ( Salud, Good Bottle, Vintner wine market, and Grapevine). Grapevine is in SC so you will find some stuff there not available in NC (most notably, Westbrook and Coast - both HIGHLY recommended).

In the Winston/Greensboro, the obvious choice is Foothills. Their Jade IPA is phenomenal!!

There are many many other worthy options out there, but these are my faves.

3. mtmonroe9

mtmonroe9 Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2013 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Steel String in Carrboro, Mystery in Hillsbourgh, Fullsteam in Durham. Natty Greene's is in downtown Greensboro, so you may like their IPAs. As far as bottleshops, check out Bestway in Greensboro for The Wall of Beer!

peetoteeto likes this.
  4. enjoi

enjoi Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2013 North Carolina

Your brother will know !

5. peetoteeto

peetoteeto Initiate (152) Sep 30, 2002 North Carolina
    Industry

We at Fullsteam aren't known for West Coast-style beers, though we do have a nice IPA. Come say hello and explore our Southern-inspired offerings! Cheers, Sean

BeerZack, MightySteede and mtmonroe9 like this.
  6. Daktah

Daktah Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2011 Illinois

Drive to Foothills in Winston-Salem, drink Jade and Sexual Chocolate, leave happy.

Beeranator and nikikikiii like this.
  7. nc41

nc41 Meyvn (1,387) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Foothills, easy enough. The Jade when right is phenomenal, sometimes it's less so, kinda inconsistent.

Beeranator likes this.
  8. MightySteede

MightySteede Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2013 North Carolina

Raleigh Area:
    Breweries: Trophy Brewing, Raleigh Brewing, Big Boss Brewery, Lonerider Brewery
    Food: Busy Bee Cafe, Raleigh Times, Tyler's Taproom
    Shops: Tasty Beverage, Bottle Revolution, Ridgewood Wine and Beer, Bottle Mixx

DaveONan, KhakCane and nikikikiii like this.
  9. KevinGordon

KevinGordon Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2012 North Carolina

God I hate driving to Raleigh....scratch that. Hate driving home from Raleigh.
    Durham/Chapel Hill has a great scene too.

10. nc41

Beer Trader

Raleigh traffic sucks

11. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (5,923) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Come live in the greater NYC area, then you will no longer think Raleigh traffic is bad... :slight_smile:

johnsonni and OldhouseRecs like this.
  12. nc41

Beer Trader

I grew up outside Philly, and worked in Boston, NYC is terrible, DC is the worst. Raleigh blows, Charlotte is bad.

13. charlottemoeron

charlottemoeron Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2013 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Correction: South Charlotte (pineville through ballantyne) is bad. Most other places is average at worst.

chefkevlar likes this.
  14. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Meyvn (1,417) Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

ill second that. Plus Cackalacky PA is mighty good too.

OP - Im going with Steel String in Carrboro, Fullsteam in Durham, and Natty Greene's in Greensboro. Stop at Foothills on your way to Charlotte, then never leave NoDa and Olde Mecklenburg. Different places, but both of their beer is incredible.

15. KevinGordon

I want to move back to Charlotte, despite the traffic being borderline Atlanta levels. The western half of NC has the best beer in the state. There isnt much on the east side that is truly impressive. Maybe Mother Earth brewing because that Silent Night is killer. And if Lonerider gets their act together they can do great things. And I cant wait to see how Steel String comes along. They're really good right now, and havent even been open for 2 months?

16. 5thOhio

5thOhio Devotee (499) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

17. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2002 Pennsylvania

Do not forget Olde Mecklenburg Brewery in Charlotte. Outstanding stuff there.

OldeMeckbrew and KevinGordon like this.
  18. CBlack85

CBlack85 Defender (692) Jul 12, 2009 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

there have been many threads on the Charlotte beer scene, and where to visit while in town. Here is the condensed list:
    Restaurant/Beer Bar:
    Mac's Speed Shop: good lunch/dinner spot; good food (BBQ), good beer menu.
    Duckworths: good spot to stop for a beer; decent/ok food, great beer menu.
    Liberty: good lunch/dinner; very good food, good beer menu.
    Taco Mac: typical sports bar type food, large beer menu

Breweries:
    NoDa Brewing: Good/great beer (Mostly American Styles)
    Birdsong Brewing: Good beer (Mostly American styles)
    Olde Mecklenburg Brewing: Great beer (Traditional German Styles)
    Triple C Brewing: Good beer (Mostly American styles)
    Heist Brewing: (Brewpub) decent food (a bit overpriced), moderate/decent beer

Bottle Shops:

Brawleys: best bottle shop in town, no trip to Charlotte would be complete without a stop at Brawleys
    Total Wine: typical of most Total Wine locations, decent selection / fair prices
    Grapevine: actually in Fort Mill, SC, but is a good place to stop if in the area, and will have some things that the NC bottle shops wont.

Misc:
    Common Market: kind of a strange little place, that usually has a few good beers on tap, and has a good bottle selection for purchase.

Hopefully, I haven't left anyone out, but that is a good starting point for potential stops while in Charlotte

johnsonni, herrburgess and Handle like this.
  19. RedneckBeerz

RedneckBeerz Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2011 Massachusetts

Just my opinion mind you, but I'd avoid Natty Greene's in Greensboro (great food but average brews). IF IT WAS ME, I'd go to Liberty Steakhouse & Brewery in High Point (Todd does some great stuff brew wise and the food is great) and Foothills in Winston Salem (great brews and have never sampled much food there). For bottle shops I'd recommend Bestway in Greensboro, The Brewers Kettle in High Point (great bottle shop that serve some great draft brews), Potent Potables in Jamestown (great shop with taps), and City Beverage in Winston Salem (again another great bottle shop with taps). I don't get out alot at night since I work 3rd shift, but The Pour House bar probably has the most taps that I know of in Greensboro and there are great people and brews at Jake's Billiards also in Greensboro. Just my 2 cents worth. Prost

mtmonroe9 likes this.
  20. JimKal

JimKal Devotee (469) Jul 31, 2011 North Carolina

A number of people have mentioned Bestway as the best bottle shop in the Greensboro area and I would have to agree. If it is available in NC they will have or or will tell you when they are getting it. If you visit you might want to stop at Sticks and Stones, a nearby bar and restaurant. Eclectic pizza and sandwich offerings with a lot of the NC brews on tap.

mtmonroe9 likes this.
  21. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (1,228) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia
    Subscriber Beer Trader

It's not super near ya, but Nantahala Brewery in Bryson City has a fantastic IPA, Noonday. Their RIS that they barrel age is pretty great too.

Might be able to find the IPA in growlers, the bottle of RIS is a miss unless you buy it at the brewery.

craftabrew407 likes this.
  22. dbrauneis

Subscriber Beer Trader

That Silent Night really was wonderful when I had it a couple of months ago - wish I had found bottles instead of tap so I could have grabbed a few more.

23. KevinGordon

Oh nice, its great on tap. Where did you have it? Not New Jersey? Bottles are 18.99, and usually pretty available in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area in the wintertime. I snagged the 2nd to last bottle at Sams like 2 months ago. Get you hands on an Olde Hickory Event Horizon too, just an amazing beer.

24. mtmonroe9

mtmonroe9 Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2013 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Bestway in Greensboro still has 6-8 on the shelves if you want to make the trip

25. dbrauneis

Subscriber Beer Trader

I have family in the Triad (as well as being a former North Carolinian - I lived in the Triangle area for about 15 years ending in 2011) so I had it on-tap at City Beverage when I was shopping sometime around the holidays. I also was able to pick up an Event Horizon and Sexual Chocolate (2012 and 2013) on some of my visits to the area.

I agree that both are excellent beers.

Looking forward to trying to grab a Lindley Park this year.

26. dbrauneis

Subscriber Beer Trader

Bestway is an amazing shop - love stopping by there when I'm in NC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.