What are two discontinued beers that you'd buy if they were re-Introduced?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by LesDewitt4beer, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Siriusfisherman

Siriusfisherman Savant (945) Aug 23, 2011 Vermont
    Society Trader

Firestone Walker Wookey Jack
    Stone Levitation Ale

Mikexw, hopley, beertrip and 7 others like this.
  2. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Champion (824) Dec 12, 2014 Chile

3. BJC

BJC Initiate (192) Nov 9, 2002 New Jersey

Ballantine IPA (1970's)
    Long Trail Hibernator

4. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Poo-Bah (1,848) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society

I have only been into craft for six years now (was primarily a bourbon/whiskey drinker), so don’t have the same long term perspective of missing beers as others decades in the game.

Goose Island killed off distribution of Honker’s Ale, after killing the OG Chicago version when they moved production to Baldwinsville. It’s the primary reason I return to their Clybourn taproom (though 1-2 times per year, vs. 1-2 per month at the OG taproom), but if I lived elsewhere, that would be my selection.

For me, the two completely dead beers I’d buy if they returned are OG Goose Island Bourbon County Coffee (straight, no chaser) and OG Goose Island Bourbon County Barleywine. GI can keep all the other non barrel only variants, even Proprietor.

Thankfully, Revolution Deep Woods offerings are real, and they’re spectacular, so that’s where my dollars have shifted each Fall!

5. Chipotle

Chipotle Aspirant (204) Apr 23, 2017 New York

Really Old Brown Dog
    Really Old Brown Dog Julio's Bourbon Barrel Aged

Come on Smuttynose, so what if I'm the only person that would buy them.

6. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,514) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Wow. There's beer I never thought I come across in a BA thread. Pretty sure I had it, brewed by Pittsburgh B.C. during the era when they were releasing a ton of brands in part, it seemed, going after the beer can collector market. Robin Hood Ale was one of the brands they picked up in the mid-70s with the demise of the August Wagner Brewing Co., of Columbus OH (it's also where they got the "Augustiner" brand that they would later re-revive as a sort of "Yuengling Amber Lager" fighter in, I guess, the 1990s?).
    [​IMG]
    At some point, PBC changed the labeling to make it a "Cream Ale" (with a cooler Robin Hood image, too) - lots of PA and other brewers were bringing out cream ales in that "Great Cream Ale Scare" era, chasing the crumbs of the Genesee Cream Ale market. To me it tasted like most every other bland AAL-ish "cream ale" of that era. I can think of dozens of other long-gone US ales I'd rather try... but, you know...:wink:

7. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (2,072) Jul 2, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Narragansett I Am Providence
    - a Double Red IPA it was so good I wrote a letter to them about it and it was only a one off.

Also Sixpoint did a Red Ale for a hot dog spot outside some park in Brooklyn and I don’t remember what it was or the hot dog place but I think it was called Bark’s and the nuance of chocolate puddings skin behind that beer cemented in my memory forever. I know I’ll never see it again but any red beer that has Munich in it I’m all over

8. goingbrokeonbeer

goingbrokeonbeer Poo-Bah (1,794) Dec 4, 2013 South Carolina
    Society Trader

9. Dweedlebug

Dweedlebug Disciple (347) Feb 28, 2012 Pennsylvania

McAndrews Scotch Ale
    Weyerbacher Slam Dunkel and Sour Black

10. J-legend-K

J-legend-K Initiate (96) Feb 6, 2021 Colorado
    Trader

Same answer as the Beers You Miss thread:

Cutthroat Porter
    [​IMG]

Mountain Standard
    [​IMG]

11. Urk1127

Society Trader

To add to my response as well the red ale in question it was Barks Hot Dogs in Brooklyn who has closed their doors a long time ago but i swear I remember a red beer associated with them at one point and I know I’m not crazy. I tried lookin it up but no dice

Beer_Economicus and ChicagoJ like this.
  12. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,489) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

That first one they relased in 2013 (I think it was)? That beer was phenomenal, aged in Barrels that held BCBS, that was a top 5 beer for me

13. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,489) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Smuttynose Maibock
    Narragansett Bock

hopley, Providence, smutty33 and 3 others like this.
  14. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (744) Mar 28, 2009 California

SN Tumbler. There is a shortage of brown ales and this is my favorite.

OG Alpine Nelson, what an amazing beer that was.

15. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (8,679) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

I wish I could have done a side-by-side with the 70s/80s Robin Hood Cream Ale with the recent batch I tried. @Pinz412 generously sent me a few cans late last year. I thought it was very tasty and probably not the same beer PBC brewed back in the day. The latest iteration was a collaboration of Dancing Gnome and PBC.

@Pinz412 relayed to me that they may actually consider brewing it again in the near future. I would love that!

And, yeah. It's kind of a nostalgia thing for me, but sometimes it's beers like this that I just crave...

Beer_Economicus and Bitterbill like this.
  16. TheEpeeist

TheEpeeist Zealot (576) Nov 5, 2008 Maryland
    Trader

Midnight Sun M ...

but seriously, i'll add another Victory; Old Horizontal.

keeping it local, McKenzie Dark Saison. technically my first beer rating back in 2006 but rated the wrong beer so it ended up being #2 after Nugget Nectar. i had been skulking around on beer rating sites for a while and after tasting the Dark Saison i felt i had to memorialize my experience. might be the one if i could only drink a single beer for the rest of my life.

17. richOutsidePhilly

richOutsidePhilly Initiate (36) Jan 27, 2021 Pennsylvania

Green Flash Green Bullet. Had it on tap in the Atlanta area mucho times.

STONE Mocha IPA. Not really a fan of coffee beers but that was the best beer of the year, whatever year it was.

RyanK252, Cashbail, adrock314 and 3 others like this.
  18. Jwale73

Jwale73 Poo-Bah (5,167) Aug 15, 2007 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

GI King Henry
    Ithaca Brute

19. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (6,033) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Ok, I'll be going nostalgia first, as these are what come to mind, knowing my palate probably isn't the same as when I last had them:

The original Southern Tier imperial pale lager Farmer's Tan (I believe they totally re-branded it at some point)

Dogfish Head Hellhound On My Ale or Sah'tea - both hold memories of sipping snifters on tap at the local DFH brewpubs with friends, even though they are both at least pseudo-one offs. Fresh Double Jack would probably be my replacement.

GF mentioned Magic Hat Blind Faith, though she thinks she's had more recent versions that weren't as appealing to her. Also a local, Orange Whip from defunct Mad Fox Brewing.

#59 cjgiant, Mar 11, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  20. macandrewsRIP

macandrewsRIP Initiate (40) Oct 28, 2007 Massachusetts

MacAndrews Scotch Ale (peace be upon you, you earlier posters)
    Youngs Special London

DrOfGolf, KentT, scootercrabb and 2 others like this.
  21. adrock314

adrock314 Savant (951) Apr 14, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Wow so many beers I’d forgotten about have been mentioned and now I’m missing them all :cold_sweat:

honorable mention to Brooklyn Monster that has been mentioned several times. I could probably name quite a few that I really miss but I’ll play by the rules:

Stoudts Fat Dog
    Southern Tier Oat

guinness77, SP23, cjgiant and 2 others like this.
  22. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,078) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

I will add Odell Red to that list of great beers that they no longer brew.
    Sierra Nevada flioside and ruthless rye are two more I would love to see again.

23. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (2,026) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

OG Alpine Nelson (as @JayORear flagged first) and yeah... FW Wookie Jack (yes, I know they revived it in CA recently, but only for CA, so it is still "dead" to me).
    Cheers! (Odell Mountain Standard, a close 3rd, honorable mention?)

24. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Aspirant (229) Jan 8, 2015 California

I'll join you in mourning are recently departed. And to balance it out I'll add a big sticky OG in Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine.

DrOfGolf, KentT, jakecattleco and 5 others like this.
  25. Urk1127

Society Trader

Two very old pictures. 5-6 years old. Two beers I’d love to buy again

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Demented is no longer around as a brewery.

26. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (472) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

That's another one I forgot about - that and their original Heart of Darkness Stout. |Those and |Ravelle were the best by far they made. They've brought at least BF and HoD back here and there, but it's not the same (or they were better then in my mind)

Bitterbill, keithmurray and cjgiant like this.
  27. el_bobbo

el_bobbo Disciple (378) Dec 22, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I hate to even type this, but Pete's Wicked Ale Strawberry Blonde. It was a crush-able lightly fruited ale that i learned about shortly after "finding" craft beer in my early 20s. The aromas, the body, everything fit the bill.

As a second brew, and on the other end of the spectrum is the Rogue XS Imperial Stout. When i first learned about these brews, they were still being released in ceramic bottles and i bought a few. that big, thick, motor oil pour had such a huge bitter chocolate finish.

28. Providence

Providence Champion (814) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

First two that come to mind are Sam Adams Noble Pils and Sierra Nevada Flipside.

29. REVZEB

REVZEB Poo-Bah (11,578) Mar 28, 2013 Illinois
    Society

One I had and loved- 4beans
    One that slipped through my fingers and wish I could have another shot at- King Henry

30. infuturity

infuturity Initiate (102) Apr 26, 2015 Massachusetts

If I had to pick two...

1) Noble Pils
    2) Sixpoint Apollo

Bitterbill likes this.
  31. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Devotee (427) Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

Believe so

Bitterbill likes this.
  32. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Devotee (427) Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

I doff my flat cap to Bert Grant, who rightfully comes up when us old timers (if I may presume?) get this question. It was not first thought.

With that taken, I’ll say Thomas Hardy’s since no one else has yet. And for my second, the Duvel Tripel Hop with Mosaic, sadly it lost out to the citra formula now widely available (fine). On the upside, I remember the taste-off being something of a roll of the dice.

BTW Pride remains ubiquitous in London. I miss it.

33. Boulez

Boulez Initiate (7) Nov 11, 2014 California

JBogan likes this.
  34. Boulez

Boulez Initiate (7) Nov 11, 2014 California

Sorry, I meant Stone Pale Ale, not IPA.

AlmostDeadly777 likes this.
  35. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,224) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

You know, the Miller with the red label was pretty darned good. It had way too short of a lifetime, whatever that was.

KentT, Foyle and scootercrabb like this.
  36. Bitterbill

Society

I remember, from my beer can collecting days, having a beer that appears to be the same name as Koehler Brewing Company.

I had a book, I believe it was one from Michael Jackson, that listed breweries and their addresses.

I was big into collecting and I received a lot of cans and believe it or not, some were FULL cans. One of which was the one that I mentioned above, well..it was from the same named brewery.

I remember being shocked at how malty it was with no "apparent" adjuncts.

I checked the current brewery's website and I don't reckon that the beer I had was a Pilsner. Just a regular Lager.

Cue @jesskidden . I think the one I am talking aboot was also from Pennsylvania.

37. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,514) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yeah, Koehler Lager Beer was brewed by the Erie Brewing Co., of that PA city. Closed in the late-70s and C. Schmidt's & Sons bought the brands and continued making the Koehler brand, not sure how long (Schmidt's was buying brands like crazy in that decade as breweries closed - Rheingold & Knickerbocker, Duke/Duquesne, Reading, POC, ...).

I'd be pretty surprised if it wasn't an adjunct lager.

38. Bitterbill

Society

It probably was but I will just say, that at the time, its malty presence may have obscured the usual adjunct graininess.

Thanks for replying.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  39. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (504) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

One of my fondest memories is wandering around at a music festival during the 90s in 100 degree August heat and stumbling upon a dude selling Strawberry Blonde out of a cooler. My buddy and I bought 4 of them and in that moment they might have been the best tasting beers I'd had up until that point in my life.

I didn't enjoy them nearly as much when I got back to society and bought them again, but we'll always have that one magical day together......

ETA: and this reminds me, Pyramid's Apricot Ale used to really hit the spot back in the day as well. I have no idea whether they still make it anymore or whether Pyramid is still even a brewery.

40. bret27

bret27 Poo-Bah (1,997) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Society Trader

I remember both of those brews fondly in my 20’s as well.

meefmoff, Bitterbill and el_bobbo like this.