Great Britain What are we drinking this weekend?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by CwrwAmByth, Aug 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruds

Ruds Sep 15, 2008 United Kingdom (England)

More Kernel action ... new one for me first up 'India Brown Ale' @ 5.6%.

2. Ruds

I don't want to hear of their beauty now they aren't taking a ride under the chunnel :cool:

3. Ruds

I had a pint of ESB at the spoons in twickers last season. First time I'd had it maybe 7 or 8 years.
    I thought it was great stuff. You probably need to have it on cask tbh!

EmperorBevis likes this.
  4. EmperorBevis

EmperorBevis Sep 25, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

That is where all the medals and awards it has won plastered over the bottle have come from then,
    Really needs to be bottle conditioned then, will give it another chance if I see it's pump clip.

5. Hanglow

Hanglow Feb 18, 2012 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Homebrew only for me tonight - couple of APAs, onto a coopers wheat and will finish with an Enkel

6. Domingo

Domingo Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I'll be rockin' some canned Upslope Pumpkin and some of my last GD Rumbles of the season.

7. Ruds

I had a half pint of Rumble from the source when I was in Denver in June.

Tasty GD beers ............... drool

Zimbo likes this.
  8. EmperorBevis

After much reticence I am going to open this here J W lees governor. What does all malt mean? Please dont say it isnt hopped.

9. Ruds

Celebrity beer - puts me off tbh!

10. Ruds

Struise - Cuvee Delphine was beer 2 of the evening.
    Decent but I expected a little more!

Onto Mikkellers - Belgian Tripel.

Not sure why but not expecting too much from this ... hoping to be wrong!

11. pitweasel

pitweasel Jun 11, 2007 New York

Currently on tour and somewhere in California, but most of the cast & crew are from the UK. I've been suggesting new beer for them since the tour started (as many have never been here), so I think this is the weekend I finally step back and ask them to order their UK favorites. Not sure what that'll end up being, but looking forward to it!

12. Ruds

I've never ordered a UK beer in the US. Don't quite see the point if you live in the UK !!!

13. jazzyjeff13

jazzyjeff13 Nov 6, 2010 United Kingdom (England)

I've had a Westmorland ale (Sainsbury's) and am now on a Brooklyn Summer ale. I detect Nelson Sauvin....

I've had this - I'm sorry to say it's rather crap.

14. EmperorBevis

It is dull as dishwater. Though halfway thru cinnamon accidentally dropped in it and improved immensely as it added some flavour lol.

jazzyjeff13 and Ruds like this.
  15. Ruds

So you always carry 'cinnamon' on your person when drinking beer!?!

16. jazzyjeff13

Cinnamon - Manchester's answer to dry-hopping.

Right, I'm now imbibing a Coniston Bluebird....

EmperorBevis likes this.
  17. EmperorBevis

Damn good choice with the salute to boat crashing :S
    I had before thought of adding elderflower cordial to the shit lagers that get dumped on me because I like beer as the bottle green bottle stuff does have a bit of a hop taste.

Wonder if there are any cinnamon beers?

18. EmperorBevis

Actually enjoying a Twats double century which is probably the best of my wonky beer selection.

19. jazzyjeff13

I'm pretty sure there are some Xmas brews that go heavy on the cinnamon.

I've cracked a Great Divide Rumble - oaked IPA! Heavy stuff....

Zimbo likes this.
  20. pitweasel

pitweasel Jun 11, 2007 New York

I can. You've been thousands of miles from your family and home for months at a time...a familiar beer would probably sound pretty good to me in that situation. Different story for the more common 7-10 day vacation though, I suppose.

21. Zimbo

Zimbo Aug 7, 2010 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Had a couple of Southville Hops last night. OK but not exactly a heart or head stealer.

22. Ruds

I see what you mean and yes I was comparing to a 2 week vacation.

That said, I doubt I'd come across any of the beers that I would miss from the UK over in the US, think Kernel, Windsor & Eton, Magic Rock, Marble, Buxton to name a few !

23. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Beer Trader

Marble is popping up in a few US based online stores but damn, the prices..

24. EmperorBevis

It's not particularly cheap over here, but I do live near the brewery if that will help in any way :)

25. Zimbo

Zimbo Aug 7, 2010 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Punk with a take away curry.

Bitterbill and Ruds like this.
  26. ReluctantScoop

ReluctantScoop Apr 29, 2012 United Kingdom (England)

Green Jack Orange Wheat. Dark Star Summer Meltdown. Green Jack Ripper. More Green Jack Ripper. More Green Jack Ripper. Thornbridge Chiron.

Now back home. Punk. And I won't be drinking those eight bottles of Tesco American Double IPA That Isn't Really Hardcore At Five Quid For Four Bottles tonight. Not me. No siiree.

27. EmperorBevis

Will try to talk the missus into some St. Peter's Ruby Red Ale.

28. jazzyjeff13

So far:
    Hawkshead Lakeland lager
    Oakham JHB
    Wold Top Scarborough Fair IPA (Sainsbury's beer hunt)

More to follow.....

29. jak3676

jak3676 Sep 1, 2010 Virginia

Well, just came back from http://www.dasbestoktoberfest.com/washington-dc/show-info

Couple of decent beers, the whole 4oz at a time, vs 1L just seemed so wrong. (At least for someplace proclaiming that they're the best Okboverfest... *sigh*) And as much as I'd love to say that I found a new local favorite, I'm afraid Becks Oktoberfest was better than most. Still, it was a good time, glad a I wore my lederhosen. The wife looked particularly good in her dirndle too.

But for the moment, I'va back home and settling into a few Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfests

30. ReluctantScoop

Another bottle of red wine. Like you do.

31. jazzyjeff13

Not gonna lie - Scarborough Fair IPA was rather shit. Pity, as I like Wold Top.

I've just cracked a bomber of SN Southern Hemisphere Harvest - this is more like it! Hops! Deliciousness!

32. jazzyjeff13

Alrighty.....SN Southern Hemisphere Harvest was superb. American IPAs FTW!

Rounding off the evening with a Lion Stout - mmmmmh......

Bitterbill likes this.
  33. Ruds

Looks a decent line up of beers, although the best pair are in the top right corner of the poster ;)

I've never been to Oktoberfest and of all the beer things one can do in a lifetime this simply doesn't sit highly for me.

6 brewers with a couple of beers each of similar style with a load of pissed up students/tourists.

Fly me over to DC anyday!

34. Bitterbill

Beer Trader

I had some Thai green curry with shrimp yesterday and a pint of Odell IPA. Not a good match but I hadn't had the Odell on draught for ages.

35. Bitterbill

Beer Trader

I love those NZ hops!

jazzyjeff13 likes this.
  36. ReluctantScoop

Tesco American Double IPA. It's not quite what it was, maybe just chemically castrated rather than the full rings-and-pliers. But it's 4 bottles for 5 pounds. It's Sunday. It gets the job done.

37. marquis

marquis Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

I
    I've had this and was distinctly underwhelmed-had beer of half the strength that blow it away.
    The Governor I tried last year in Marco PW's pub in Norfolk. Whatever they call it it's distinctly a light mild and a bland one at that. But I managed a couple of pints of Elgood's Black Dog with my Sunday roast at the Duck in Stanhoe. Nothing touches a good mild for accompanying food.( It's the only beer which matches curry to perfection.)

38. Ruds

Winding down the weekend as the sun sets (not that I can see it through the pissy rain clouds!) with a Kernel Pale Ale Columbus. They can do no wrong !

39. ReluctantScoop

Well, you're entitled to your opinion. You're obviously wrong, but that's the way the crumble cookies ;-)

BTW - Marquis of Granby is a damn fine pub. I shall be there on Saturday with a dozen massively-unhinged idiots wearing Hawaiian shirts and corpse face paint. Feel free to drop by. If there's a mild on, I'll buy you a pint.

40. Ruds

It's a craft beer didn't you know, and brewed by those Scottish upstarts - how could he admit he liked it even if he did ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe