What Are You Brewing This Weekend 3/29 - 3/31

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by OddNotion, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OddNotion

OddNotion Devotee (478) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I just prepared my ingredients to brew tomorrow after work since I have a travel heavy weekend. I will be brewing an English Mild (or at least my interpretation of one).

4lbs Maris Otter
    8oz Carastan
    8oz English Extra Dark Crystal
    8oz Fawcett Pale Chocolate
    8oz Golden Naked Oats

.7oz UK Fuggle @ 60
    .3oz Kent Goldings @ 60
    .7oz Kent Goldings @ 5
    .3oz UK Fuggle @ 5

Yeast: ECY18 English Mild

OG: 1.037
    FG: 1.012
    ABV: 3.4%

Mash @ 152 for 60 mins
    90 Minute Boil

What is on your brew schedule for this weekend?

Cheers!

2. koopa

koopa Poo-Bah (1,825) Apr 20, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Galaxy Pale Ale

1.051 OG
    1.010 FG
    5.4% abv
    40 ibu's
    6 srm

82.5% 2 row
    5% C40
    5% C10
    5% Munich II
    2.5% Acidulated Malt

40 ibu's of Galaxy @ 25 min
    dry hop 10 gallons with 5.5oz of Galaxy

Lagger and NiceFly like this.
  3. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Zealot (522) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

Hefeweizen... the classic recipe, 60% wheat, 40% pils, about 10 IBU. Yeast cultured from Schneider Weisse.

kneary13 and NiceFly like this.
  4. NiceFly

NiceFly Aspirant (275) Dec 22, 2011 Tajikistan

You rebel :wink:. J/K

I will be kegging and keg hopping a Pale Ale born of 2-Row and equal helpings of Simcoe and Chinook fermented out with 1968.

barfdiggs likes this.
  5. b-one

b-one Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2013 California

I'm going to intentionally try to muddle the Porter/Stout line (there is a line?) as I try to learn my way up to a decent IS.
    5.25 g. target

9 - 2 row
    2 munich light
    1.5 roasted
    .5 choco
    .5 black patent
    ---
    .5 magnum (60)
    1 Chinook (30)
    .5 Perle (10)

1.067 OG, 1.016 FG, 6.61, ABV IBU 66.02

I may lower the Munich. Yeah, you all have probably been there and done that, but I am just starting to stray from the web recipes and find my own way.

NiceFly likes this.
  6. geneseohawk

geneseohawk Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2008 Illinois

I brewed BM centennial blonde- never tried or had before- hope it is as good as hyped. Hit my og perfect..

NiceFly likes this.
  7. inchrisin

inchrisin Defender (654) Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

If I have time I'll keg and bottle a 60ish shilling ale on Sunday. I had a boil over and I'm not sure if I lost more wort or hops. It should still be worth the scrubbing of the outside of the kettle. :flushed:

NiceFly likes this.
  8. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2011 California

Nothing! Whoo-hoo! A break from bottling and brewing, I'll be drinking beer instead!

NiceFly likes this.
  9. JUNCK

JUNCK Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2011 Washington

Rye Pale

2-Row
    Rye
    Munich
    Victory
    Honey
    ---
    Magnum (60m)
    Fuggle (30m)
    Goldings (20m)
    Goldings (10m)
    Cascade (1m)
    Dry hopped with Amarillo
    ---
    Wyeast 1272
    --
    1.059 OG, 1.015 FG, 5.8%, ABV IBU 40

NiceFly likes this.
  10. Naugled

Naugled Crusader (729) Sep 25, 2007 New York
    Subscriber

I plan to brew the Flying Dog Raging Bitch kit this weekend that I picked up from the brewery. Here's a link to the online instructions.... http://flyingdogales.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/StoveTopper_RagingBitch1.pdf

Here are the quantities...

Malt Bill: A bag containing 18 lbs of crushed malt was included.
    Pale Malt ~94%​
    C60 ~6%​
    The split was not give in the kit, it was just one giant bag of malt. I calculated the malt split using the color target, so mileage may vary.

Hop Bill: 4 bags of hops were included contain Warrior, CTZ and Amarillo.
    90 min addition: Warrior - they provide 30 grams at 20.2% alpha, and you are instructed to adjust this to hit 60 IBUs. I plan to use 25 grams​
    15 min addition: Blend of CTZ and Amarillo 13 grams. (The blend is my guess based on the size of the pellets. The warrior pellets in the warrior bag were the smaller type, and there were none of that size in this bag. I'm also assuming they are 50/50). I think I will get an additional 9 IBUs from this addition.​
    FO addition: Blend of CTZ and Amarillo 36 grams.​
    DH addition: Amarillo 70 grams.​

Water: Instructed to mimic the Burton on Trent water profile, a bag of gypsum is provided.

Yeast: Two vials of Diablo yeast are provided from the brewery. I think this is the key to this clone, for both the flavor characteristics and the attenuation.

The target OG is 1.072, but they don't provide an FG. Based on 8.3% ABV the FG will need to be 1.009. Which is pretty dry. I plan to measure the FG tonight from a bottle of RB. I just got an FG hydrometer so it should be fairly accurate in that range.

The mash temp is vague as well, they say 150F to 154F, I plan to target he lower end to make it more fermentable.

I think everything else is covered in the instructions.

NiceFly likes this.
  11. wscaffe

wscaffe Initiate (113) May 6, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

I plan on finishing up a berliner weisse and that is probably about it.

NiceFly and kneary13 like this.
  12. kneary13

kneary13 Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2010 Massachusetts

i'll be dry hopping my hoppy pac-northwest style red with 1oz of Chinook, 2 oz Cascade and 1oz Centennial.

NiceFly likes this.
  13. GatorBeer

GatorBeer Initiate (137) Feb 2, 2010 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Going to brew the wort for a Berliner Weisse then sour it using a handful of grain. Should be ready to ferment in about a week! Also going to probably bottle a Kolsch I brewed last week.

NiceFly likes this.
  14. jlpred55

jlpred55 Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2006 Iowa

Kegging Mosaic Pale Ale and brewing Momma's Blonde Ale (have to keep the wife happy)

100% Rahr Pale Ale Malt
    1.0 oz Hallertau Mittelfruh 60 min
    .5 oz HM- 15 min
    .5 oz HM- FO
    No sparge mash @ 152
    US-05 slurry.

NiceFly likes this.
  15. MrOH

MrOH Defender (612) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

Nothing but a little consumption. GF's entire family is in town for the holiday.

NiceFly likes this.
  16. joebad

joebad Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2010 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Brewing a funky saison with Hibiscus, Orange peel, and Mosaic hops. Giving a sour mash a shot for the first time, with a third of the grain bill resting at ~105 degrees for ~36 hours before brewing. Then, we're going to add some Brett B Trois. Very excited about this one.

NiceFly likes this.
  17. pointyskull

pointyskull Disciple (309) Mar 17, 2010 Illinois
    Subscriber

Poor planning leaves me with nothing brewing, but I will likely be bottling my Clockwork Orange cream ale on Saturday....

NiceFly likes this.
  18. JebediahScooter

JebediahScooter Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2010 Vermont

Kegging/keg-hopping 10 gallons of pale ale with Amarillo, Nelson, and Galaxy. One keg gets a white oak spiral aging for a week at low temps per Wayne Wambles's tips on White Oak Jai Alai.

I'm not sure if I'll have time, but I kind of wanted to brew a Zombie Dust clone this weekend and call it Zombie Jesus.

NiceFly likes this.
  19. wscaffe

wscaffe Initiate (113) May 6, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

You'll have to dry hop Zombie Jesus for 3 days and 3 nights.

BeerNFixed and JebediahScooter like this.
  20. Tebuken

Tebuken Disciple (323) Jun 6, 2009 Argentina

I´ll be brewing a Smoked Brown Ale on saturday 30 ,going to use smoked malt for the very first time.

21. DubbelMan

DubbelMan Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2009 New York

Mosaic,Simco,Cascade pale ale. Golden promise/C40/White wheat bill. US05. First time using Mosaic. Hope it will be good!

Cheers!

NiceFly likes this.
  22. pweis909

pweis909 Meyvn (1,453) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Supporter Subscriber

Not to my way of thinking.

23. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,005) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Industry Beer Trader

30 gallons of Rauchbier:

50# W'mann Rauchmalz (or what they're now labeling as Beechwood smoked malt; I assume since they now sell the oak-smoked as well)
    7# W'mann CaraMunich II
    6# W'mann Pilsner
    6# W'mann Light Munich

10 oz. Tettnanger @ 60 min
    2 oz. Tettnanger @ 10 min

Wyeast 2633 @ 50F

OG 1.055, FG 1.015, 29 IBU, SRM 15, 5.4% ABV

24. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Initiate (0) May 21, 2010 Texas

I make 'em drink blonde ale. It's a lot easier to brew than light lager. :rolling_eyes:

I am brewing a pale ale with NW ale yeast. Simple grain bill, not sure on the hops yet. I'll decide that on brew day (sunday).

25. OddNotion

Beer Trader

You must really love rauchbier! I personally cant have more than a glass at a time, probably an acquired taste that I still have to work on.

26. BeerNFixed

BeerNFixed Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

I'm starting on the fall beers this weekend. I have an imperial stout at batt this weekend and a belgian dark strong that will be aged on burbon soaked oak on deck for the first of the week.

NiceFly likes this.
  27. CASK1

CASK1 Disciple (334) Jan 7, 2010 Florida

No brewing this weekend. My Dortmunder keg unexpectedly kicked last night, so it looks like I get to keg a Maibock this weekend!

NiceFly likes this.
  28. Tebuken

Tebuken Disciple (323) Jun 6, 2009 Argentina

I think it is possible that you could get some conversion issues with that grain bill.Have you checked its diastatic power?.Remember Rauchmalz and CaraMunich II have 0% diastatic power.Maybe you will need to mash a very long time to full convert all starches in sugars. I think you are going to get less than 20 Lintner for that grist and you need at least about 30 Lintner.I don´t know, maybe some more experienced brewers could give it a bit more of clarity to this matter.

29. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2012 Chad

Brewed my first go at a high gravity stout - looking for something chewy. I somehow hit my OG @ 1.110.
    I may add some cold brewed coffee depending on how it tastes after a few weeks.

Batch #19
    14 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) 62.8 %
    2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40 9.0 %
    1 lbs 1.6 oz Chocolate Malt 4.9 %
    1 lbs 1.6 oz Oats, Flaked 4.9 %
    1 lbs 1.6 oz Roasted Barley 4.9 %
    2.00 oz Columbus @ 60 min
    1.00 oz Goldings @ 20 min
    3 lbs Light DME @ 15 min

NiceFly likes this.
  30. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Disciple (372) May 2, 2006 Utah

Working on the first stage of getting a kegging setup underway. First goal is to get gas side set up and leak checked. I'm sure I'll post some questions as I get into it. I have a dark Cz. lager that is first going into a keg. Maybe this weekend with any luck.

NiceFly likes this.
  31. sjverla

sjverla Devotee (490) Dec 1, 2008 Massachusetts

My first brewday ever! Using the Northern Brewer English Mild kit.

.125 Lb English Chocolate Malt
    .25 lb Crisp Amber Malt
    .25 lb Crisp Brown Malt

3.15 lb Marris Otter LME
    1 lb Amber DME

It's called for 1 oz of US Fuggles at 60, but I went with .75 oz US Fuggles at 60 and .25 oz UK Bramling Cross at 35.

32. herrburgess

Industry Beer Trader

Just finished the brew day. Hit all the numbers, luckily. If anyone has any further insight on these concerns and/or how I managed to hit the numbers, please chime in. All I did was use my usual process and tastybrew.com recipe calculator, so I can offer no more than that, unfortunately. Cheers!

33. messyhair42

messyhair42 Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2010 Colorado

Sunday I'm bottling a Brown, a CC and a Wheat. and possibly helping a friend bottle his first batch

NiceFly likes this.
  34. herrburgess

Industry Beer Trader

Make the effort to drink 3 Schlenkerla Maerzen in a single sitting and report back. Guaranteed taste acquisition. :wink:

35. ventura78

ventura78 Aspirant (267) Nov 22, 2003 Massachusetts

I did my brewing related work on Thursday . Bottled up a RIP and a Triple. Still have 2 more triples to go. Maybe after the Easter meal :)

NiceFly likes this.
  36. NiceFly

NiceFly Aspirant (275) Dec 22, 2011 Tajikistan

Very sorry to hear your beer died. Pouring a pint of Pale Ale in its memory.

37. SABERG

SABERG Meyvn (1,315) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

A simple Saison.
    2 row, wheat, touch of sphelt
    french saison yeast

Cheers

38. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2011 California

I tried one a couple months back, then immediately tried another, and another... Always thought smoke beers were foul, this beer changed my mind, although I will say that the Bruery's Bourbon Barrel Aged Smoking Wood was also very good.

herrburgess likes this.
  39. OddNotion

Beer Trader

Ive been looking for that actually but havent seen them around, Ill have to keep looking. I had a homebrewed rauchbier (not sure who the brewer was) today and it was good, still hard to have more than one. Maybe Ill brew a half batch and see if I can acquire the taste if I cant find the Schlenkerla.

40. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Zealot (522) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

Rauchmalz has approximately the same DP as its non-smoked counterpart (i.e. Vienna-Munich). It should be very capable of converting itself and a small amount of caramalt. Classic German rauchbiers are made with 100% smoked malt. There should be no problems with this recipe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.