What are your go to Beer stores where you live?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by scottybar, Jun 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Poo-Bah (1,797) Nov 4, 2015 New York
    Society

Northeast of Binghamton, so Sam the Beer Man. It's about a mile from work, has the greatest selection,& freshest, usually the best price, & they are customers where I work.
    Price Chopper & Weis aren't bad,and getting better (if I can't get to Sam's in time), just have to pay attention to dates. The convenience store down the road from me has had some occasional good deals on Southern Tier & Sierra Nevada ($8.99 for 2XPRESSO, in Feb & March, for ex.) , but now seems to devoting more & more shelf space to ABI stuff while getting only old beer of anything else. :stuck_out_tongue: Wegman's when visiting Mom in Johnson City. (Usually just look, but sometimes........)

CrimeDog and FriedSlug like this.
  2. LostHighway

LostHighway Disciple (393) Jan 29, 2007 Minnesota

Portland (ME) has several very good stores including Bier Cellar but that is more than an hour drive each way for me. In the midcoast I primarily divide my buying between Rockland Foodservice and Rising Tide in Damariscotta (the latter slightly more because it is closer). Neither store is great but as you go north (excluding Bangor) and east in Maine the situation only gets worse. Compared to say Ohio or Wisconsin Maine seems to have fewer available labels but the situation continues to improve and we do have some very good local breweries.

3. Samlover55

Samlover55 Champion (814) Oct 8, 2015 New York
    Trader

Im glad other BA's finally made it there been going for months

CrimeDog likes this.
  4. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (468) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Redstone north of Boston-- Kamal rules!!

Ganglani likes this.
  5. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (2,319) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Society

Total Wine for cases, Belgians and Germans. Ninety9 Bottles for new releases and local beer.

6. manfromanotherplace

manfromanotherplace Initiate (0) May 19, 2015 New York

Connolly Beverage in West Hempstead, NY....great store, even greater people working there.

CrimeDog likes this.
  7. deleted_user_1007501

deleted_user_1007501 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2015

Warehouse Beverage, Wine Spot, and (any of the three) Whole Foods.
    If anything good comes into town, at least two out of the three will have it.

West side of CLE has some great shops, but I'm not from around those parts.

8. MRN

MRN Initiate (162) Jul 20, 2007 Virginia

Northern Virginia -- Norm's Beer and Wine in Vienna for the friendly staff, good selection, tastings, and social media updates and Whole Foods Fair Lakes for the staff, selection, and ability to have lunch, sample beers, and shop for food.

9. gnartothecore

gnartothecore Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2015 Florida

In unincorporated Miami Dade county...I'd say 75% of beer shopping is done at Total Wine. There's a location about 15 minutes from my house and the prices and selection are better than the ABC, which is closer. I've just learned to only shop from their "Seasonal/Special Release" section.

When I can afford to spend a little more, I go to Mendez Fuel for crowlers and Sunset Corners

10. monkeybeerbelly

monkeybeerbelly Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012 New York

they changed the name recently?
    I hit that store whenever im in the area.
    so will be by on Sunday for a fathers day growler fill and hopefully dome good finds.
    But true, always nice people there. i miss pat though he was the man

11. Svingjo

Svingjo Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2012 Canada (BC)

There are actually quite a few good beer stores in the Greater Vancouver Regional District where I live. My go to is Firefly in Maple Ridge followed by B's Craft Beer Lounge in Langley, Brewery Creek in Vancouver and UL Liquor in South Surrey. Sure there are a bunch more that I stop by but can't remember their names.

12. XpL0d3r

XpL0d3r Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2016 New York

AJ's Beer Warehouse, and occasionally Beers of the World, Rochester NY area

Wegmans if I'm lazy or in a hurry.

13. CBrodbeck

CBrodbeck Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2014 Florida

Fort Lauderdale has a few good spots.... ABC Liquors and Total Wine for the big box stuff, Craft Beer Cartel and Riverside Market for the smaller released stuff.

14. manfromanotherplace

manfromanotherplace Initiate (0) May 19, 2015 New York

Yeah a new manager, John, became part owner and they changed the name,but i think most of the old guys are still there. Definitely a good spot, hope you find something good!

15. tim28

tim28 Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2008 Missouri
    Deactivated

Lukas Wine and Spirits.

16. Jaycase

Jaycase Poo-Bah (1,835) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Society Trader

Binny's. If you can't find it at Binny's, it's probably not worth drinking.

laketang likes this.
  17. kgoyette

kgoyette Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2011 Massachusetts

No contest. Redstone (either the Andover or Stoneham locations). Kamal is amazing, and has really opened up two amazing stores...

Ganglani likes this.
  18. Dragginballs76

Dragginballs76 Poo-Bah (2,573) Nov 13, 2015 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Bottle and Tap in Hartsville, SC
    Micky Finns in Florence, SC

VABA likes this.
  19. Mehinaman

Mehinaman Zealot (522) May 16, 2015 Washington
    Trader

Special Brews in Lynwood
    Brigids in Edmonds
    Bottleworks in Seattle
    Beer Junction in West Seattle
    Chucks hop Shop in Greenwood or Central District

20. dexterk1

dexterk1 Meyvn (1,284) May 29, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

Any Binny's
    Bottles and Cans
    Bitter Pops

beerbelly_mike likes this.
  21. ebin6

ebin6 Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2009 California

Oceanview and Numberone in Hermosa Beach, Stearns in Long Beach, and El Cerrito every once in a while after work in Corona.

mactrail likes this.
  22. brandonmcneely

brandonmcneely Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2016 Arizona

BevMo is usually my go to for craft beers.

23. SailIntoTheStout

SailIntoTheStout Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2015 Michigan

My favorite place is this store called Pour here in Metro Detroit. They have this really great policy where EVERYTHING is a single. You're allowed to break up any six pack to make your own. On top of that they have an amazing selection.

mikeinportc and Gemini6 like this.
  24. Casey3236

Casey3236 Defender (655) Sep 14, 2012 Pennsylvania

Wegmans for every day shopping, beer store Malvern for hard to find stuff. They are a little pricey, but they have stuff nobody else has, so it's worth a little more

XpL0d3r likes this.
  25. Bulabeers

Bulabeers Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2009 California

Davis Beer Shoppe in Yolo County California and Red Wine and Brew, Save On, or Warehouse Beverage when I'm in NE Ohio

26. DownyIsHungry

DownyIsHungry Savant (921) Feb 6, 2015 Minnesota
    Society

Mount Royal Bottle Shop. It is by far the best bottle shop in my town. Also, it's a block away from my house, so it's super convenient.

27. NickyDee21

NickyDee21 Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2011 Pennsylvania

beer store used to be the go-to but prices have become outrageous over the past 2-3 years not to mention, good releases are usually sold out before ever hitting the shelves due to their social media hype machine. iron abbey is hit or miss on prices. super limited stuff usually gets quite a mark-up, but anything that even has a chance of sitting on a shelf for a little bit usually is priced fair.

28. NickyDee21

place is ridiculous! usually stop by on my way back to pa for holidays

larryi86 likes this.
  29. NickyDee21

Total Wine... was that formerly Corridor Wine and Spirits?

30. Wxmaggot

Wxmaggot Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2016 North Carolina

Total Wine or City Beverage for me. Both have good selections, especially around here.

31. patto1ro

patto1ro Zealot (598) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands

32. Statonxyb

Statonxyb Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2015 Kentucky

Just in town for me, in Watertown, NY is Bottlecaps - An awesome beer store owned by a great beer lover and his team. A great selection, awesome rotating tap list, and plenty of tastings/promotions.

To boot, also have Grimm fairly regularly. I've gotten ahold of After Image, Tesseract, Forcefield, Vacay, Dreamweapon, and Future Perfect just in the past few months - Even have Vacay and Dreamweapon on tap. A true gem.

33. AWA

AWA Defender (632) Jul 22, 2014 California
    Society

The Whole Foods by me used to rock. Then they got rid of their beer and wine supervisor. Now they blow. My Bev Mo blows, my Costco blows. There's a convenience store called AJS that's ok, but they're starting to really go after the sour business, which isn't my thing. I really have to drive 45 minutes to San Jose unless I'm getting something local. Puts a tear in my beer.

34. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (5,040) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Yeah it is, makes it very hard to shop anywhere else!

VABA likes this.
  35. connecticutpoet

connecticutpoet Poo-Bah (2,200) Jun 10, 2004 Connecticut
    Society

There are several good ones in my town and just across the state line that offer many good ones, and don't necessarily have a lot of duplication. Just found one that had five different Sixpoint beers. But if I am going to go looking for some hard to find beers, we've got Table & Vine in West Springfield MA, Total Wine and More and Manchester Wines and Liquors in Manchester CT, and if I want to go a little farther Yankee Spirits in Sturbridge MA. I used to commute 65 miles each way and worked right by Julio's Liquors in Westborough MA, but fortunately found a place only 4 miles away. But I no longer drive by Yankee Spirits daily.

And it's only 40 minutes to Tree House.

36. h4ger

h4ger Zealot (508) Feb 5, 2011 Connecticut
    Trader

GlenRo in Monroe Ct. is the best locally, Larry is a good guy and will take his time with you. The 26,000 sq ft Total wine in Milford is a must visit when in town, huge selection, and good price points.

37. beerbelly_mike

beerbelly_mike Initiate (0) May 19, 2016 Illinois

Exactly this!!!!! I choose Bitter Pops first because they have a tasting room and the best staff in Chicago.

38. HopliteMpls612

HopliteMpls612 Disciple (305) Aug 31, 2015 Minnesota

South Lyndale Liquors and France 44. If they don't have it you don't need it in the Twin Cities. Both are about 10 minutes from me. :slight_smile:

39. Mitchmoore12

Mitchmoore12 Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2016 Texas

1) Maltitude (bottle shop/growler station)
    2) big local liquor store, carries tons of local craft brew with pretty cheap bombers.
    3) Fresh Market grocery, has a pick your own sixer with lots of local variety and other craft beer.
    4) Military class 6. I'm currently in the army and the on base liquor stores have a surprisingly extensive amount of selection from breweries within 150 miles plus thing like Sierra Nevada and Ballast point.

40. TrevorJ

TrevorJ Initiate (32) Jun 19, 2016 Virginia

The Bucket Trader (read the history) in Old Towne, Petersburg, Virginia.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.