What awesome beer deals have you found?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DoghouseReilly3946, Oct 26, 2018.

1. DoghouseReilly3946

DoghouseReilly3946 Initiate (157) Aug 17, 2018 Kentucky

Last weekend I went by a local grocery store that typically carries decent craft beers that are reasonably fresh and while scanning their selection, I came across Bell's Expedition Stout bottled in early September for $8.29 a six pack. So what are some of the awesome deals you have found?

2. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Disciple (306) Mar 29, 2010 Indiana
    Trader

Haven't been in awhile but last November I filled up a case of craft for like $20 because the owner of the store was selling six packs for the price he would have gotten for returning old stuff to the distributor. Was all stuff like Oktoberfest near Christmas but still

3. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,268) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Trader

$4.50, before happy hour prices, for Grand Teton Black Cauldron on draught at 1 bar in Casper. Full 16 ounce pours.

4. HopsAreDaMan

HopsAreDaMan Defender (624) Jul 28, 2015 Missouri
    Premium

Buy one get one on Yeti Oatmeal Stout bombers for $10 at one of the local beer and liqueur stores. I think it was because the new batch had come in. It's a great beer and a bargain at $5 a bomber.

5. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,506) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

Similarly to OP I once found Bells Expedition Stout for $7.99 a six pack in a grocery store - bought a whole case (I think I still have a couple bottles of that left). Also I once got a full 16 oz pint glass of World Wide Stout for $7. It was supposed to be like an 8 ounce snifter at that price, but the bartender didn't know what he was doing and filled a whole pint glass up.

6. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Meyvn (1,132) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Trader

One place recently had a few cases of Ayinger Celebrator on sale for 0.80€ a bottle because they were just about to go over the best by date. I'm still kicking myself for not buying one, but then again, it would have been quite difficult to get that home by bicycle...

7. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (386) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I got a 4 pack of 120 minute IPA for 37.50 at the grocery store one time. Usually they're 11-12 dollar singles at liquor stores. I drank a couple over the last year and traded the other two to a friend.

PapaGoose03 and Bitterbill like this.
  8. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,172) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Trader

Haven't gotten it yet, but I see that Toppling Goliath will be selling KBBS for only $100 per 12oz bottle, limit one. That limit irks me, what if I wanted more? :wink:

9. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,959) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

My favorite and most notable beer store purchase was from the local grocery store in my small college town. They had about 10 Expedition stouts and Java Stouts on the mix-six shelf, which at that store, carried a nominal $9.99 fee for 6 random bottles. I loaded up two 6-pack holders with Java Stout and Expedition Stout and went on my way.

On draft, one of the closest bars to my new house charges $3 for all taps from 4-7pm, regardless of day. Needless to say, I've spent many Fridays and weekends there, considering they both have a weekend happy hour, and a solid happy hour overall. Makes for both a wonderful cheap date spot and a quality savory draft-sipping option. Plus they have sports games on, which I don't get in my cable-free house.

10. Cnote_crafty_1

Cnote_crafty_1 Aspirant (238) Apr 8, 2015 Pennsylvania

Ahhhh, just picked up a sixer of Stone Idolatrous IPA for $6.99 and that was a steal, but it is dated May of this year, so not sure if the hop character will suffer just a tad. The owner convinced me that it was fine according to him and I was like, O.k., I will take your word on that. Heh, he, we shall see. I should have a back up of something else just in case it sucks,

11. Benish

Benish Savant (986) Mar 13, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

Last summer, I came across Prairie Bomb! sitting in the $10 mix a six selection. I bought all of them. I highly doubt anyone else in that city would care to buy one.

12. T-RO

T-RO Disciple (399) Nov 9, 2012 New Hampshire
    Premium

Is this replacing the long running similar thread by @Sweatshirt ? Which I just tried to find but couldn't.

Amendm likes this.
  13. RobNewton

RobNewton Zealot (577) Dec 30, 2014 New York
    Premium Trader

Oh man, random ass grocery store in NYC, this was about 4 years ago. I found 375s of 2011 or so Cantillon Gueuze for 3.99 a pop. I think at one point Cantillon in NYC was more common, and when it blew up this particular spot was missed.

14. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,314) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

I still think the $9.99 sixer of Unibrowe mixed pack is best value to quality beer ratio I've found locally.

RobNewton likes this.
  15. Highbrow

Highbrow Devotee (430) Jan 7, 2011 California
    Trader

i think the $1.97 St Bernardus Xmas ale .750s at Costco was the best i've ever bumped into & probably won't be topped.

pretty sure i shared this before, cause i distinctly remember a couple of the comments: "WTF is with the CapNCrunch & shit right behind it". :wink: $21 out the door. because we'd been what i'd consider friends for 20 years, i had to ask the store owner if he was sure he hadn't made a mistake. he laughed. so did i when i walked out.

[​IMG]

16. BenHoppy

BenHoppy Zealot (521) Nov 15, 2017 Michigan

Chimmay variety pack with blue, red, and white for $15

admobeer34 and brutalfarce like this.
  17. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,038) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Premium Trader

I recently found some two-year-old TenFIDY four-packs in a discount cart for $4 each. I bought them out. I also found an Avery Amicitia marked down to $3.99.

18. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,348) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Premium

It's in the New England Forum - beer store finds, I believe is the thread title.

RobNewton and FBarber like this.
  19. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Disciple (321) Apr 24, 2015 Vermont
    Premium

Store by me discounts 6packs/4packs if one of the beers is missing. Just purchased 3 bottles of Founder's Dankwood for $5.99.

Gobearswalter34 likes this.
  20. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (133) Feb 13, 2018 New York

The other night I picked up:

Kostrizer 16.9 oz 4-packs for 4.29
    Colbritzer Pils 16.9 oz 4-packs 3.29
    Samuel Smith Taddy Porter 11.2 oz 4-packs for 8.99
    Sixpoint Alpenflo 12 oz 12-pack for 14.99
    Old Speckled Hen Nitro 4-pack for 7.99

I love Total Wine

21. Livyatan1996

Livyatan1996 Disciple (355) Sep 29, 2017 Missouri

worked at a grocery store for a minute, one coworker really didn't give a damn about his job and would stick whatever big name beer was around into the mix a six. got KBS, Hopslam and some other pricier beers all for that sweet 9.99 a sixer price.
    also the store i usually haunt is giving away free Paulaner hefe's to rewards members. always love a free beer

22. Shanex

Shanex Moderator (1,251) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Premium Trader

A 750ml bottle of Saison DuPont in northern France last summer in a supermarket for 2,50€. Not sure if there was a genuine mistake on the price tag but it was what I paid for it. Awesome deal.

admobeer34 and HopsAreDaMan like this.
  23. BruChef

BruChef Initiate (192) Nov 8, 2009 New York

-$12 pitchers of Ithaca Brute at a bar (dickeys) in my hometown. Been closed and re-opened since

-$6 pitchers of any beer at a tavern (Romigs) of any craft at any time (not an amazing selection but great for the price). They once did a southern tier pumking night where you could get a flight of rum ba’d, Coffee, reg, warlock (the year it was 10%) and harvest ale in 8oz glasses for $10. Dangerous.

-Wegmans was once clearing out “old” stock. Got 22oz bottles of GI Pierre Jacques (2010 & 2012), Matilda 2012 x2 and a 2013 Sophie plus a 750 of lindemans pomme and a six of fresh Red Hook Audible ale for about $33.

keithmurray likes this.
  24. HopsAreDaMan

HopsAreDaMan Defender (624) Jul 28, 2015 Missouri
    Premium

Thank you for that. I needed a good laugh. I'm picturing some wealthy gentleman (or wealthy lady) being annoyed at this limit. The nerve! Life is definitely not fair!!

bbtkd likes this.
  25. bbtkd

Premium Trader

Ummm...kidding/not kidding. If I got there and they offered me a second, I might. A third, probably not....except.....:flushed: Just thinking, hate to drive 8 hours round-trip and only get one.

HopsAreDaMan likes this.
  26. bbtkd

Premium Trader

Today I got two 32oz growlers of Founders 2017 CBS for $16/ea. Beats the hell out of bomber pricing and it's pre-aged!

27. jbertsch

jbertsch Meyvn (1,124) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts

A 4 pack of wyerbacher imperial pumpkin for $3.30. My favorite pumpkin ale. Easy sale.

28. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Defender (631) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia
    Premium Trader

About a month ago a small local liquor store had a lot of single beers marked down to .99 cent each to move some product out that wasn’t selling. I ended up with 4 Backwoods Bastards and 2 Smores Dragon’s Milk for $6 is tax. Call that a win any day.

29. M-14

M-14 Initiate (118) Feb 5, 2014 California

Humboldt Brewing Black Xantus for $3.97/bottle at Grocery Outlet. Should have bought a case!

30. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (445) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Most deals are situations where I give the store owner the opportunity to correct, but they don't. Its obviously the single price slapped on a bigger amount.

1. 6x Uncle Jacobs for 17$ (easily the best in my lifetime)

more recent:
    2. 4x Lickinghole Creek Carrot Cake - 4.50 total
    3. 4x Center of Universe Duderino While Russian Stout - 4.50 total

31. Amendm

Amendm Disciple (390) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Premium

4 pack of pints of Bell's Best Brown Ale canned on 09/12/18 for
    $9.49. Awesome to me, Brown Ales are in season, Bell's reputation (Two Hearted is common around here), A new one for me, and I tried one last night and it was awesome.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  32. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Aspirant (221) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

I was in Macadoodle's in Springfield, MO a couple of years ago and they had Southern Tier Mokah & Oat Imp. Oatmeal Stout on clearance for $2.50/bottle, so I bought a couple of bottles of each. I was looking at the bottle while I was drinking the first Mokah and only then did I realize that it was from 2012. The Oat Imp. Stout also turned out to be from 2012 too. If I would've looked at the bottles closer while I was at the shop, I would've bought the other 8 bottles (5 Oat & 3 Mokah) that were on the clearance rack.

admobeer34 and Amendm like this.
  33. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,657) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

It's been a few years but I as at Total Wine as Celebration was just hitting the floor, I pulled a case off the dolly and it rang it as $21, so I went back and bought another case. It's a great beer and for under a buck a beer it's the deal of the century. I assume they caught the mistake and properly priced it.

34. The-Adjunct-Hippie

The-Adjunct-Hippie Poo-Bah (3,467) May 12, 2014 Nebraska
    Trader

Clearance is my middle name. I love buying beer on sale or closeout, as long as they're not outdated IPAs. Two years ago I bought a ton of New Belgium for $1.99 a six pack - Snapshot, Tripel, and Abbey. (They had Ranger but it was 3 months out of date, hell no!) Roughly 8 six packs each. Had some Abbey last night in fact :

[​IMG]

Still tasting good!

I also scored about 10 cans of 19 oz Kasteel Rouge for $1.49 each when I was in Chicago.

Once, a grocery store in Iowa had some Chimay Blue and Red for $1.99 each. I bought about 10 bottles total.

Again, some things are worth passing up, but other stuff is worth sniping out and filling your cart with.

Edit : Just remembered the recent score last week of Weyerbacher 22 for $4 a 4 pack. I bought 3 of them. :slight_smile:

#34 The-Adjunct-Hippie, Oct 27, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  35. The-Adjunct-Hippie

The-Adjunct-Hippie Poo-Bah (3,467) May 12, 2014 Nebraska
    Trader

:open_mouth: in Wisconsin (in 2016) they were selling for $36/4 pack everywhere. Still not far off though

36. dvmin98

dvmin98 Site Editor (2,753) Nov 1, 2010 North Carolina
    Premium Trader

Rochefort 10 in the 'make your own 6 pack' section. $2 a bottle or $10.99 for the 6 pack. I bought all of them.

dukeandduke, admobeer34, Mdez and 6 others like this.
  37. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (678) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

$7.99/8.99 here .....shocked there is a deal here.

Paid $4.99 per bottle for Allagash Curieux. Should have been $14.99. This was 6 years ago at a food store.

Same store...Firestone walker anniversary $10 a bottle back when it was large format.

Recently

Mix a six of 4 expedition stout and 2 founders breakfast stout.

Ale smith IPA for under $30 a case
    Maduro for $26 a case

Last week

OB 15 can mix pack for $12.99, includes Pilsner, ipa, dales, pinner, g’night about 4 weeks old

Enjoy

dukeandduke and bret717 like this.
  38. SMH_NWI

SMH_NWI Disciple (380) Jan 8, 2015 Texas
    Trader

$12 Goose IPA pint at the Toyota Center for the Rockets game last night

bluejacket74, beerluvr and ManBearPat like this.
  39. JackRWatkins

JackRWatkins Defender (644) Nov 3, 2014 Alabama

4$ 750's of dupont due to overstock in Atlanta

keithmurray and jamesroses like this.
  40. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,265) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Damn I never get good deals where I live. Best deal Ive gotten was I got charged 1.99 for a bottle of Rochefort 10

dukeandduke, Mdez and jamesroses like this.