What beer are you drinking in Australia now?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Todd, May 26, 2020.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,145) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Despite Australia being #4 for traffic within the last 30 days, I noticed that no one has posted in this forum for months. Thought I'd check in and see what everyone is drinking these days.

Hope you're all healthy and doing well.

Cheers! :beers:

Shanex likes this.
  2. motomike

motomike Initiate (72) Apr 8, 2010 Australia

As winter is approaching its time to move off the lighter styles and into the dark ales and stout.
    I have been drinking 4 Pines Nitro Stout, Panhead Hartail Harry Oat Stout, White Rabbit Dark Ale, and for something a bit lighter Little Creatures IPA and Leffe Blond.

3. nboville

nboville Initiate (26) Nov 20, 2017 Australia

Capital Brewing released and incredible IIPA that was just too limited a release and was gone too quickly. Modus Operandi has a really nice Espresso Martini Dark Lager out as well. Otherwise been sticking to my regulars from Capital and Modus, Sonic Prayer, Former Tenant and Rock Hopper.

4. Den

Den Initiate (66) Feb 8, 2011 Australia

I've been drinking a lot of the darker ales and stouts from local craft breweries.
    Devil's Elbow, Dubbo (Black Horn dark ale, Nosey Bob red ale)
    Badlands Brewery, Orange (Darkness London porter, Draughty Kilt Scottish Ale, Brewbacca kolsch)
    Mudgee Brewing Company, Mudgee (Mudgee Mud imperial stout, Mudgee Porter)

And I've been drinking a lot of my old favourite, Sheaf Stout.

5. rockitbob

rockitbob Initiate (66) Jul 31, 2010 Australia

Clausthaller Original. I no longer consume alcohol (been a couple of years now) but I am addicted to malt hop beverages. Not many on the shelves here so Clausthaller it is.

6. WhiteLomu

WhiteLomu Initiate (65) Apr 23, 2013 Australia

Coopers Sparking. Little Creatures Pale Ale. Modus Operandi Sonic Prayer and Former Tenant. Wildflower Amber. Various homebrewed hefes, saisons, porter.

7. dejabeus

dejabeus Initiate (83) Apr 5, 2010 Australia

Here in the "wild west" I have discovered a group of Kiwis who are producing many fine brews out of Bassendean, Perth. 'Freestyle Brewery' have cans in 500ml size. - check 'em out on Facebook. They open to the public on Saturdays 10.00 am until 4.00 pm. There are free tastings usually, but this has not been possible due to Covid19 regulations at the present time

8. SheldonWere

SheldonWere Initiate (31) Apr 15, 2017 Australia

Hi Todd, Unfortunately the full range of Founders hasn't reached our shores!! For local independent brews I love a Crankshaft IPA (by Bentspoke) and a staple Stone & Wood Pacific Ale fan. Big and hoppy. My own brews feature galaxy, simcoe, chinook and citra.

9. David-az

David-az Initiate (37) Apr 28, 2016 Australia

Temple Brewing Company Nitro Espresso Stoutini hits the spot on a cold night.

10. danieelol

danieelol Savant (961) Jun 15, 2010 Australia

Tonight

Bruery Offshoot Unwind Pils - solid but not enough noble hops

Akasha Shape of Hops to Come - good, get lots of mandarin (pick of the night)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - have not had in a while, quite good, blueberry and bitter coffee

Black Hops South Coast IPA - candied pawpaw and feijoa

Black Hops - North Coast IPA - big caramel

11. Hassles

Hassles Initiate (39) Jul 27, 2018 Australia

Of late I have been exploring the releases by Deed's Brewing and am finding myself mostly impressed. They have a lot of different styles and I would rate most as good and more than drinkworthy. Now winter has arrived I am also revisiting the big Belgian's :-)))

I did recently explore a few big brews from Akasha (Red Ale / Black IPA / Triple) but found I would not drink these again. They were OK just not up to my strandards

12. Hassles

I drank four beers from Watts River Brewing last night and not an ounce of drinking pleasure to be had. There is a wine industry term Flabby. Flabby means little mouthfeel, not much on the nose and no lingering flavours. This term summed up those four admirably. 60 seconds after the pour all signs of carbonation were gone, NO head retention, subtle malt flavour dominated even the pale and IP ales. NO lingering flavours whatsoever. What a wasted effort that was.

danieelol likes this.
  13. Johnny_B

Johnny_B Initiate (16) Jun 24, 2020 Australia
    Trader

My go to Breweries are, Mr Banks, Range and Mountain Culture. They release weekly beers and get a good variety.

Any coffee stouts go down a treat. At the moment

danieelol likes this.
  14. Hassles

Mr Banks you say - I sit here with a Mr Banks Extra Pale Ale poured from can into glass and less than 60 seconds later - all signs of carbonation gone and head receding. Some lace left on glass walls admittedly but carbonation now non existent. packing date March 2020. I have a couple of other Banks beers now chilled but hold little hope of finding any drinking pleasure based on this experience.

15. eric5bellies

eric5bellies Poo-Bah (1,839) Jun 9, 2006 Australia
    Society Trader

Hi Todd
    Yes we are still alive and well here my friend. As you probably know its winter here so we are deep into stout season ! I must admit the Australian forum is a little quiet these days, however ther are still plenty of reviewers. I have been pretty active over the last few weeks on here and have been posting quite a few beer pics. I'll be posting a review of Daiton Violent Crumble stout a little later so be sure to check that out, Apparently its a ripper stout !

Cheers

16. danieelol

Lately I've just been smashing the Mountain Culture beers. I felt their medium ABV Oat Cream beers in particular Lightspeed and Tomorrow Noon are very much world class. "692" (the name of the beer) was also a cracking west coast style DIPA. But hard to go wrong with their beers anyway.

Also had the Rye Barrel Aged Viva La Beaver from Belching Beaver which was absolutely world class, potentially one of the best BA beers I've ever had.

Also been smashing some Baladins. Terre 2012 was a tasty red wine-esque treat which was only outdone by the 2015 Xyauyu Gold which is an absolute stunner: waffles, maple syrup and spun sugar for days. I swear I should still have some bottles of Xyauyu Fume around somewhere which should be getting some decent age on them now also, if I can find them.

17. Gasc0igne

Gasc0igne Disciple (365) Oct 6, 2013 Australia
    Trader

Been a long while since I checked in on BA! I've really pulled back on my consumption of beer over recent months, but the other night I gave the immensely overpriced SPON (Cab Franc/Zinfandel) from Jester King a go - a super solid American Wild Ale (even though it was listed as a Fruit Lambic and apparently went through similar processes).

Gorgeous cherry/strawberry red colour, some loose bubbles that hung around for a bit. Not much to the nose - light prickly tart grape and hints of cherry. It was quite a bit thinner than I'd anticipated (though not watery), very subdued sourness with little funk or complexity, maybe a little like a standard dry red just without the lingering tannins. Nicely balanced and definitely drinkable and thirst quenching.

Maybe for <$20 I'd reccy it.

danieelol likes this.
  18. danieelol

tonight I had two mountain culture IPAs, a big shed barleywine, a one drop oat cream IPA and chimay blue. All were awesome. I'd rate em all 4.25/5 (which I did) which is a pretty generous rating for me. Cbf with tasting notes cause no-one reads this forum anyway.

hawthorne00 likes this.
  19. AzfromOz

AzfromOz Initiate (16) Aug 22, 2020 Australia
    Trader

You're right about no-one reading this. But surely there are Aussies that regularly visit BA. If you're not posting here, where are you posting?