What beer are you drinking now? #1019

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by lordofthewiens, Aug 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Poo-Bah (1,888) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland
    Society

Drinking this!

[​IMG]

@WesMantooth you need to be on my level homie. Four Roses is not bad Bourbon...but Booker's is what Bourbon is made of! So good I'm drinking it Neat and not with an Ice cube.

2. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,056) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

I just about grabbed one of these, but decided to do my maple syrup Founders experiment. Outstanding beer.

Monkeyknife likes this.
  3. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (24,425) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Society Trader

I had a tulip of my sparkling cherry draft mead and a bottle of white IPA for starters. Even though the White IPA wasn't as brightly hoppy as I wanted with Belma and Hallertau Blanc hops, it is pleasantly tropical/citrusy and balanced with the yeast and spices; with a nice hop bitter finish. The mead keg is going to go down fast at this rate. I love it so much; and even though I feel like it needs more fruit next time, the balance is perfect between the honey and tart cherry sweetness. I am keeping a draft mead keg tapped in house from now on. I'll pick a different fruit next time, probably raspberries. Also, it only took 1 week in the cold keg to completely clear with only a hint of pectin haze. I didn't use pectinase because I wasn't worried about clarity, unless I were to enter it into a competition or something.

Reviews:

A revisit review for this. I first did it over 4 years ago, and today I found out it's axed off the portfolio for the Breck IPA(not on the website), but the best by date is last month. Randomly grabbed a single last weekend. Overall a good standard IPA, same opinion as 4 years ago. Aromas and flavors of grapefruit, tangerine, lemon zest, orange peel, citrus rind, and pine hops; with moderate malt sweetness of caramel and toasted biscuits with herbal/floral/grassy hop earthiness. Good amount of spicy pine/citrus rind bitterness; with a smooth and moderately creamy/sticky/resinous mouthfeel. Nice citrus/piney/earthy hoppiness from a good mix of US/UK hops, with a nice supporting dark/bready malt profile that isn't overdone. Nicely enjoyable. RIP this beer.
    [​IMG]

I absolutely love Le Merle; and this is really nice for a table saison. Shares a lot of similarities(same yeast and all). Aromas and flavors of bright lemon zest, grapefruit, peach, pear, apple, pepper, wheat, cracker, herbal, floral, grass, and yeast earthiness. Nice sized spicy/earthy yeast finish with slight tartness; with a crisp and smooth finish with light hop stickiness in the mouthfeel. Not too dry or watery feeling at all; good flavor robustness for 4%. Nice all around complexity between yeast, hops, and a crisp pils/wheat malt base. No complaints at all.
    [​IMG]

This was nice, not sure about all the hate ratings. Aromas and flavors of milk chocolate, cocoa, coffee, caramel, toffee, toast, brown bread, light nuttiness, and light herbal hops. Light-moderate herbal/coffee bitterness on the finish; with well balanced coffee and malt flavors. Good bitter/sweet roasted flavor balance, no cloying. Very smooth with a good moderately creamy mouthfeel. Nicely enjoyable overall; this was still really tasty, robust, and well balanced. More of a porter due to the lack of pronounced roasted barley character; and more pronounced chocolate/caramel/bready malt character; but you can all yell at me about breweries labeling their own styles later. :rolling_eyes:
    [​IMG]

Fantastic IPA. Aromas and flavors of big bright pineapple, peach, passion fruit, mango, melon, berries, grapefruit, tangerine, lemon zest, orange peel, and light-moderate pine; with light honey and lightly toasted bready malts with floral/grassy hops earthiness. Balanced pine/grassy bitter finish; with a very smooth and fairly creamy/sticky mouthfeel. Very drinkable with fantastic all around hop compelexity with supporting pale malt presence. I love simcoe and mosaic like damn.
    [​IMG]

Cheers!

4. WesMantooth

Society Trader

I thought last year's recipe was really good, but not great. This is insanely good. Ayinger territory good. I will be relieving my grocery store of their stock.

5. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (2,280) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Nightcap. Cheers all.

6. butters_mcgee

butters_mcgee Zealot (516) Feb 26, 2014 New York

It took him a few minutes to settle into that spot. Got lucky on the first shot with this one. :slight_smile::slight_smile:

MUTINY and 5EKF like this.
  7. ChristopherProvost

ChristopherProvost Initiate (111) Dec 24, 2013 New Hampshire

I may or may not have snagged a leftover Anderson Valley Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout from one of my employer's seminar series beverage offerings. :grinning:

8. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Meyvn (1,031) May 9, 2014 South Carolina

That looks really good!

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  9. Kramerbarthomer

Kramerbarthomer Champion (842) Mar 22, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

10. pagriley

pagriley Meyvn (1,027) Oct 27, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Moving on to finish the evening with a touch of coffee
    [​IMG]

It is a pretty big thwack of coffee actually!

11. WesMantooth

Society Trader

Lightweight. My last bottle was 130.6 proof :grinning:. That is actually my favorite (with Eagle Rare close behind thanks to @Highbrow) but it is gone. I have passed on it the last 3 or 4 trips in lieu of some Knob Creek, 12 year Elijah, and 10 year Bulleit. I usually drink it neat or with a splash of water, and amazingly it is smoother than tons of 80-90 proof bourbons. Cheers!

TBonez477 and Shroud0fdoom like this.
  12. Shroud0fdoom

Society

It is. Tasting notes are first intense because it's high proof. But subtle notes of juicy fruit, tobacco and Caramel with slaps of Toasted Oak makes this one to Grab.

WCKDVBZ likes this.
  13. Shroud0fdoom

Society

Eagle Rare is my next "Tick" lol! Knob Creek is simple though.

TBonez477 and WesMantooth like this.
  14. Scrapss

Scrapss Savant (997) Nov 15, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

I am what most consider accomplished...but Vai is a whole 'nother level. Skolnick is definitely accomplished as well. I am journeyman compared to them and learn daily from their chops!

cjgiant and Shroud0fdoom like this.
  15. Shroud0fdoom

Society

We gotta hook up and make some music with @jzeilinger

jzeilinger and Scrapss like this.
  16. WesMantooth

Society Trader

I had never tried it until the brow sent me some. Make sure you grab one. If you find a bourbon in the $30-40 range that you like more, I will send it to you.

TBonez477 and Shroud0fdoom like this.
  17. 5EKF

5EKF Savant (994) Dec 8, 2014 Illinois

Lots going on in this picture........

Having 4 mini spicy chicken sandwiches and chicken soup that I made the other night (the 3rd and possibly my best iteration) and having an Ithaca CascaZilla (Thank You @butters_mcgee!!!) in a brand new Duvel glass I have acquired. The LNBA's will get a special treat in my next beer post. Joe knows what I'm referring to.....

[​IMG]

18. cjohns73

cjohns73 Zealot (596) Dec 19, 2010 Delaware

[​IMG]
    Second Skype tasting with my boy in San Diego. He grabbed a pair of the variants and shipped them out to me. This is great. Prob better than Extra Anejo, though that was also fantastic in a different way.

19. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Crusader (789) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Trader

Hola amigos, I'm left home alone again tonight with the boy safely tucked into bed... beer time! Had this one put away for just such a special occasion, first time with anything from Ballast Point thx @whyteboy003
    [​IMG]
    only cliticization or thought is would love a bourbon barrel version

cheers LNBA's!

20. Shroud0fdoom

Society

Already EC12 has set the Standard in the 30-40 range. I'm still testing the waters though.

21. butters_mcgee

butters_mcgee Zealot (516) Feb 26, 2014 New York

:slight_smile:
    Lookin' good. Cascazilla is one of my fav Ithaca beers.
    I'll have to catch your follow up post in the morning.
    Coincidentally Tracy is watching BrideZilla on netflix now. :confused::confused::rolling_eyes::rolling_eyes:

MUTINY and 5EKF like this.
  22. sgudino

sgudino Initiate (47) Apr 15, 2015 California
    Trader

Shop was out of bombers, but had to have me an Enjoy By

[​IMG]

23. Shroud0fdoom

Society

Another Pour

[​IMG]

This is great Bourbon. God bless my tolerance too!

I wish I wasn't drinking this on an empty stomach though....:grimacing:

24. WesMantooth

Society Trader

I can but EC 12 for $26, so I buy a lot of them. The Eagle is much better though.

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  25. JayWhitson

Trader

wife got a bottle of Stranahan's in Colorado... I can vouch for it's quality

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  26. 5EKF

5EKF Savant (994) Dec 8, 2014 Illinois

I really like the caramel and bread flavors this one brings with some hop presence. Very good choice!

butters_mcgee likes this.
  27. Shroud0fdoom

Society

Fuck envy you! I got my EC12 for 37! I am going to get the Eagle this Friday.

WesMantooth likes this.
  28. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,557) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Party is winding down. On the back porch for a smoke and a GF Sculpin:

[​IMG]

29. Rootscipio

Rootscipio Savant (995) Jun 13, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Founders: Double Trouble
    [​IMG]

Nice malty back bone, just the way I like it.

30. chrisjws

chrisjws Champion (873) Dec 3, 2014 California
    Trader

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Started with Pseudo Sue (not pictured). The L'Dercola was weird. Naughty 90 was great. GB&U was pretty tasty.

Good night.

31. Betolito

Betolito Aspirant (253) May 20, 2012 Nevada

So many Bombs! A very top favorite of mine...For me, a refreshing can or two of Hop Crisis. Never had it before, pretty good. Cheers!
    [​IMG]

32. WesMantooth

Society Trader

One more drink to toast @Shroud0fdoom Cheers brother!
    [​IMG]
    WBAYDN?

33. highdesertdrinker

highdesertdrinker Zealot (514) Nov 5, 2012 Arizona
    Trader

We're getting there, guys and gals, cheers![​IMG]

34. WesMantooth

Society Trader

Ouch! That's Makers 46 territory.

Scrapss and Shroud0fdoom like this.
  35. Shroud0fdoom

Society

Murderland has highly priced Alcoholic beverages man...I've come to accept this.

WesMantooth likes this.
  36. Shroud0fdoom

Society

This is my favorite 12 year Product to date. It's so complex in its simple package. Why most don't jump on it is mind boggling!

WesMantooth likes this.
  37. WesMantooth

Society Trader

Just do what I do, and take your credit card to the Party Source in KY where all that shit is cheap, fill up a shopping cart, and regret it later.

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  38. Shroud0fdoom

Society

Every time I'm in Dayton/Bellvue/Newport that's what I do!

WesMantooth likes this.
  39. JayWhitson

Trader

ok you guys sold me... switching to whisky now
    [​IMG]
    release #39

definitely my all around favorite beer and presently down to 4 bottles so might have to pay a visit to craftbeerkings.com in my drunken stupor tonight for a few more seeing as the state of Montana is out presently :wink:

cheers LNBA's and here's one more old soul hip hop song for those that listen

40. Betolito

Betolito Aspirant (253) May 20, 2012 Nevada

Holy Smokes! Cannot wait...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.