What beer are you drinking now? #1060

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by djrn2, Sep 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ipaupaweallpa

Ipaupaweallpa Initiate (176) Dec 26, 2014 Alabama

Just got off of work, midnight, started the grill making some burgers and hot dogs on this nice cool Alabama evening it's gotta be 65 out side. No bugs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MicTar, MUTINY, JayWhitson and 15 others like this.
  2. 5EKF

5EKF Savant (953) Dec 8, 2014 Illinois

I am a Linkin Park fan but STP can't ever be the same without Scott but from watching interviews, it seemed like the other members of the band wanted to keep playing and loved the old material enough to seek out a singer to tour with. If they play a show here, I'd probably go to hear the old songs again, which I never saw live.

MUTINY and Kuaff like this.
  3. 5EKF

5EKF Savant (953) Dec 8, 2014 Illinois

Grrrrrreat choice!!! Love the Foreign Extra

4. The-Adjunct-Hippie

The-Adjunct-Hippie Poo-Bah (4,029) May 12, 2014 South Dakota
    Trader

De-priming .45 ACP and working up some loads. Old Rasputin is joining me here.

[​IMG]

5. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (9,202) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Trader

Cool!
    Me too!

6. Ipaupaweallpa

Nice! I haven't reloaded in like 3 years! Still got all my primers and bullets and powder stocked up though. What you gonna load with? Unique? Always wanted to try power pistol for 45... If you load 44 mag with Hodgdon h110 and regular large primers you can make white fireballs Haha!

7. The-Adjunct-Hippie

Trader

Awesome dude! I have about a dozen different pistol powders, I stocked up on whatever I could during the shortage, but only about 1 lb of each. So I've tried several combinations. I just used the last of my Unique on a pail of 9mm rounds. Right now what I like best out of my Smith and Wesson M&P 45 is 5.2 grains of IMR 700-X under a 185 grain bullet.

About the gun : it's a police trade in with night sights, and those police trade-ins always have the most accuracy because they're tuned and adjusted in the department's armories, every LE trade in I've got has shot straight as an arrow.

Shooting cans is like perfectly kicking a tee'd football. SPINNNNNN!!! lol

MUTINY likes this.
  8. Ipaupaweallpa

That's awesome dude I never tried imr but I used the Crap out of 2400 for 44 mag. Always unique for 45 but reloaded more for the 44 for cost reasons. I remember when I first started shooting In 2008 u could still buy Remington umc 45s 100 round hollow points for $30. Those days are long gone. I need to reload more. Still got all my stuff just gotta get it out. Where does time go.

The-Adjunct-Hippie likes this.
  9. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,324) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Orpheus Transmigration of souls
    [​IMG]

Jane Says

Yeah that's Duff playing guitar

10. The-Adjunct-Hippie

Trader

Right? Prices got crazy after Sandy Hook. That's a whole 'nother subject though.

My favorite powder overall for pistol is actually NOT a pistol powder (neither is 700-X)...it's a shotgun powder, Alliant Clay Dot. Clean burning, accurate, meters well, and easy to identify from other powders so you don't ever get them mixed up (which is catastrophic in certain cases, limbs missing and whatnot :grimacing:)....I had one minor detonation in a .380 Bodyguard about a year and a half ago. It blew the takedown pin in half, and destroyed the spring in the magazine. My hand stung but luckily all of the debris flew outward. If I was a righty, I'd have had to go in for stitches. Still don't know what caused it, but sometimes just that extra dusting of powder or an accidental double charge can change your life. I pay close attention now. I have a beer on the table but I never reload if I've had too many. :astonished:

11. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (13,543) Mar 18, 2010 California
    Society

Tuesday selections:

Joseph James 7th Anniversary
    Stone 19th Anniversary Thunderstruck With Finger Limes
    Boomtown B Side
    Bayreuther Landbier
    Goose Island Autumn Ale
    Ballast Point Pumpkin Down

MUTINY, LeperJim, VABA and 6 others like this.
  12. sittinggc

sittinggc Aspirant (237) Mar 2, 2015 California
    Trader

When you don't want to drink your last Last Snow but still need a coconut fix...lol. Cheers!
    [​IMG]

13. MattyG85

MattyG85 Poo-Bah (3,116) Aug 31, 2010 Minnesota

Late work night so starting now. Going with these:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. beermeplz

beermeplz Aspirant (277) Feb 13, 2015 California

not quite on the level of the top tier belgian tripels imo, but a pretty good one nonetheless...glad i tried again. cheers BAs!

[​IMG]

15. Ipaupaweallpa

Wow that is crazy! I double charged 6 44 rounds one time, got a new rcbs digital scale, and pulled the bullets to double check against the analog scale just to enjoy my new scale for the hell of it, and realized what I did. I don't know how bad that could of been man. So lucky I didn't shoot them. I almost did that day too..

How do you gauge what to load with another calibers powder?

russpowell likes this.
  16. Kuaff

Kuaff Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2013 Alaska

I was playing a videogame recently and in some dialogue came across a new term for beer that made me giggle: "fermented froth of the devil."

My initial devil-froth selection this night:

[​IMG]

I don't know what's with all this 1995 stuff, but I now have to post probably my favorite song from probably my favorite album from that year.

#456 Kuaff, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  17. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,324) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Society Trader

FBS
    [​IMG]
    Paired this with a homemade brownie

18. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (9,202) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Trader

Finishing on a Uinta Baba Schwartzbier. LNBA 4 LYFE!!!

19. The-Adjunct-Hippie

Trader

This was absolutely fantastic.

[​IMG]

Review :

4.35/5 rDev +2.6%
    look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Serving style : poured into a chalice.

Appearance : Dark, pitch black body. Pours the color of used motor oil. The head is gigantic, and then simply recedes into the body, but leaves a creamy cap on top, perfectly colored with almond accents and ridiculously beautiful lace. This is the best appearance of any porter I've ever seen. Five.

Smell : Roasted chocolate malts, mocha, coffee bean, vanilla bean, some light black licorice, and some slight wet earth. This is turning out solid so far.

Taste : It's light enough that it takes a second or two to develop the flavor into words. Dark malts invade the tongue like a welcome plague. Cocoa and coffee bean follow shortly after, leaving a coffee-like dry bitterness on the finish. This is a seriously awesome porter. I could take a bit more chocolate, otherwise it's perfect.

Feel : Dense, creamy, warm...this is the magnum opus of porter drinkability. The carbonation is mild to moderate and provides a base for the creamy swath to rest upon. It waves goodbye politely with a drying bitterness with bean and coffee ground.

Overall : This porter rivals Deschutes' Black Butte and Central Waters' Mudpuppy as my favorite. Definitely in the top three. Mudpuppy has the chocolate but not the coffee, Deschutes has the roasted malt with cocoa accents that balances perfectly. The Founders Porter is more on the dry bitter coffee side, but it does it well. I'd be hard pressed to pass this up again when I see it.

20. Savan

Savan Aspirant (299) Jul 2, 2014 Minnesota

21. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,828) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Definitely my favorite Oktoberfest ... so malty and tasty.

Cheers, LNBAs!

22. The-Adjunct-Hippie

Trader

Sometimes theres load data for shotgun powders as they commonly double up as handgun powder. A good example is Hodgdon Longshot. On the front it says "great for 12 gauge, 9mm, 40, and 45." Now, I personally hate Longshot, but it can be used for pistol if needed.

Other times (and this is not recommended) you can find users' load data online. Clay Dot is the same as Hodgon's Clays powder, just basically a chemical copy of it, so I use Clays data and it works great. Alliant doesn't provide Clay Dot data, but Hodgdon provides Clays data, so that's how I knew it was safe to use.

Never, ever, ever use rifle powder in a handgun or vice versa though. Unless the caliber is also fired from a handgun (examples would be 45 Long Colt, 44 Magnum, 357 Magnum, 38 Special and even then a mild powder like Trail Boss is about as far as you can go). I know of a guy who forgot to change his powder out, loaded a 30-06 round with 42 grains of Titegroup (a very fast burning pistol powder) and blew his rifle up, ended up with a split hand, had to sow pieces of his fingers back on, and he took 6 months to recover from his injuries where he could fully use his hand again.

Reloading can be serious stuff. It's a helluva lot of fun, but safety first...just like shooting guns or shooting fireworks.

Fun fact : In one of America's wars (I think it was either WW2 or Vietnam, sorry for my ignorance on this hazy factoid), soldiers loaded up marked 'dummy' rifles with very dangerous, explosive rounds made with the wrong powder (like full to the brim with pistol powder), and so our soldiers knew not to fire them, but when the enemy found and grabbed the weapons, they fired them, killing many of their men. That's a smart tactic, but *shudder* just brutal.

MUTINY, utopiajane and Premo88 like this.
  23. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,024) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

s

I'm not about to go head to head with a feline trying to get her claws on some chicken livers!

5EKF likes this.
  24. beermeplz

beermeplz Aspirant (277) Feb 13, 2015 California

not too bad - very drinkable, but will i pick up another sixer? probably not. this is another one of those hoppy lagers that is trying to do too much and ends up a bit muddled and middling all around. good but doesn't quite scratch the lager-itch. all good though, cheers LNBA!

[​IMG]

25. Savan

I WANT THAT GLASS! friggen schweet!

26. Savan

Time for a night cap...

[​IMG]

Gute Nacht, Bierliebhaber

27. boilermakerbrew

boilermakerbrew Meyvn (1,267) Aug 13, 2010 Indiana

Forgot to post on here, but I finally got around to opening a 2015 Eric's Ale. It was good, but I'm not sure it is cellar worthy like many say from the last batches.

MUTINY, JayWhitson and VABA like this.
  28. MarshMan71

MarshMan71 Initiate (0) Jul 17, 2012 Illinois

Totally agree with ya there, Momma & I are huge Parrot Heads, we have both tried to read Buffett's Books emphasis on Tried they are just terrible. As Long as he keeps Singing and Pedaling Frozen Concoctions Were Good. Fins Up !

goingbrokeonbeer likes this.
  29. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (1,510) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

I agree with your description. Every time I have that beer that's what I think ....great brew for the money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.