What beer are you drinking now? #1363

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jaydoc, Jul 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,319) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

#2, I've had this for a couple of months via a trade - and discovered yesterday I missed the "BB date" by a day, so I had to rectify that. This is really good, IMHO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Onemoresolo

Onemoresolo Aspirant (282) Jul 21, 2014 Connecticut

[​IMG]

Just got back home to CT from a lovely two-day trip with my fiancée to Maine. I cracked open a 7/12-dated Lunch as soon as I got home, but Thank You ain't no slouch. Everyone on here seems to be giving the beer mediocre ratings, but damn is it tasty. Super cantaloupe-y with a light crackery malt presence. Well done!

3. ions

ions Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2014 Maryland

4. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Poo-Bah (3,935) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon
    Society Trader

Booooooooo! That's BS man. I hope you stick it to "the Man" more than to your liver with your act of defiance! :stuck_out_tongue:. Cheers!

5. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (2,483) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Society Trader

My brother is in town from Canada, which means it's a great time to share beer! Loving this!

[​IMG]

6. StraightNoChaser

StraightNoChaser Poo-Bah (2,300) Oct 21, 2007 Georgia
    Society Trader

A favorite...120. Just love this bad ass work of art. Cheers all.
    [​IMG]

7. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (1,883) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Its been awhile and I've missed you- but you're still my honey baby... uh, oops. I'm really NOT into hags:wink:[​IMG]

8. The_Kriek_Freak

The_Kriek_Freak Poo-Bah (2,208) Aug 18, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

9. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (2,803) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Weyerbacher 21st Anniversary. Bourbon chocolate cake stout, Yum!

[​IMG]

10. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (3,214) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Uh oh. After this, I've got one lager in the fridge. May be cracking open some cellared quads if a beer run doesn't happen soon.

11. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Meyvn (1,107) Nov 4, 2015 New York

The power of positive thinking! Way to go! ; )

vabeerguy, cjgiant and twizzard like this.
  12. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (3,214) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Had that one in Ottawa the other week. Was definitely my favorite of the trip.

vabeerguy and dcotom like this.
  13. mikeinportc

Same company as YT Wine?
    Rhode Island is the test market? Is the beer weird somehow? ; )

vabeerguy, dcotom and oldn00b like this.
  14. DEdesings57

DEdesings57 Defender (635) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

My First Treehouse Beer!!!
    Cheers BAs!
    [​IMG]

15. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (1,983) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Paying it forward with a buddy of mine. Thanks @jzeilinger

16. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,487) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Departed Soles Brewing Company - The Nuggy Monster (Jersey City, NJ)

Saison brewed with oats, rye and a MONSTER hand of Nugget hops. (Per the can)

Oats create a smooth feel. Flavors of rye and lemony citrus open up as the beer warms.

[​IMG]

17. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (459) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

First canned batch of Mettle is tasting just incredible -- as juicy as it looks in this absurdly modified photo..:grinning:
    [​IMG]

18. MilaMila

MilaMila Aspirant (209) Dec 11, 2015 Massachusetts

Drinking The Crusher! Alchemist Brewery!

aoampm, vabeerguy, Marklaker and 5 others like this.
  19. mschrei

mschrei Poo-Bah (2,597) Jul 4, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

Bottle share at @oach's, starting with my last of this while he's finding his copy of Beerfest.
    [​IMG]

20. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,841) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Ha! Like @thebeers , I am surprised at how few beers I have in the fridge right now. I put off buying any this week because I'm making a massive beer run tomorrow en route to a 3-day weekend, but still wound up thinking "that's it?" when I just got this one out-
    [​IMG]

At least they are all fresh and tasty. And by tomorrow there surely will be none left...

21. DirtyDawg10

DirtyDawg10 Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2016 Connecticut

My favorite Monkish offering of the four that I have tried. These guys are legit!
    [​IMG]

22. mikeinportc

One of my favorites. A great fit for the end of an almost-hot day. :slight_smile: ( & I was working where stone made it drippingly hot. :~0,,, )
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    End result : the amazing little microbes create a delicious dry grapefruit rind flavor, that lingers on the tongue for 1/2hr , or more. :slight_smile:
    Throwin' back to the early 80's :

#222 mikeinportc, Jul 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  23. LeRose

LeRose Poo-Bah (1,533) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

Brewery fresh Rising Tide Pisces. I believe this is the same beer as their old gose, but with a spiffy new label... Lots to read for Thirsty Thursday, doubt I will get thru it all.

Watching Ghost Busters I & II as the wind is whipping through the cove here...I ain't afraid of no gose. No...not kidding ya cant make that up. Pretty much basic basic cable here, so Sox onthe iPad.

24. joe1510

joe1510 Poo-Bah (3,647) Aug 21, 2006 Illinois

Caught the end of Ghostbusters and just finished up one of my favorite, easy, quick dinners. Sticky & black rice, Chinese sausage, kimchi, and a poached egg. Washing it down with another delicious Bell's Quinannan Falls.

[​IMG]

I heard this on the radio earlier. It's been a long time.

25. oldn00b

oldn00b Champion (890) Feb 23, 2015 Virginia
    Trader

Hey BA! Hell yeah Troegs nailed this one - mosaic, azacca and simcoe DIPA. Works for me. Cheers!

[​IMG]

26. cjohns73

cjohns73 Defender (600) Dec 19, 2010 Delaware

[​IMG]

These are good. Nice job from Troegs.

27. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,001) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Daddy Warbucks DIPA - a grand slam of massive bitterness atop sticky resin-coated fruits and caramel-like malts.
    Big beer, 9.8% abv - this is the imperial version of Barrier's Money IPA (which I might dig maybe a wee bit more?)
    [​IMG]
    (Money pic from last weekend :wink:)

Got me listening to Warrant's DRFSR... :flushed:

Which invariably led to more shameful hairband music... :stuck_out_tongue:

The pint-finishing pour...
    [​IMG]
    Cheers...

#227 Greywulfken, Jul 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  28. kevanb

kevanb Poo-Bah (2,496) Apr 4, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Monster beer, tasty one too! Cheers BA

29. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (2,803) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Beer #5. Singlecut 2x TNT ipa. Apparently I'm getting drunk tonight. (At the POPE in South Philly.)

[​IMG]

30. mothman

mothman Poo-Bah (8,838) Jun 21, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

31. MattyG85

MattyG85 Poo-Bah (3,446) Aug 31, 2010 Minnesota
    Society

Tonight's lineup:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

32. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (1,983) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

I brought the Heady. He brought the ZD.
    Good night so far.

33. TargaFlorio

TargaFlorio Crusader (751) Jul 3, 2012 Indiana

34. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,653) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Another new beer (for me):

[​IMG]

I think I just had desert before dinner!

35. FriedSlug

FriedSlug Poo-Bah (2,556) Feb 20, 2012 North Carolina
    Society

Never had this one. It is damn tasty as I would expect. I like a good porter in the Summer.

[​IMG]

36. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,319) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Last one, sticking with the coffee theme, I'm enjoying the bat shiznit out of this. Have a tremendous Thursday, BA's.

[​IMG]

37. oldn00b

oldn00b Champion (890) Feb 23, 2015 Virginia
    Trader

Dude, that sucks. Honest question, feel like the "cat pee" is still pretty strong on that one or maybe mellowed a bit? Cheers to a night and day of great beers at least.

you and me both man - this one just hits a sweet spot for me. Cheers!

38. kinggimp

kinggimp Aspirant (225) Feb 18, 2015 Wisconsin

39. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,316) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Ok - in a couple seconds I'll be able to catch up on today's shenanigans, but for now, it's time for a Thursday Throwdown!! I figured I'd celebrate the beginning of my next year on BA comparing a beer a BA friend (who shall remain vavtarless) gave me against a beer I truly enjoy... in a style I truly enjoy. Tonight is Throwdown Watermelon Gose :astonished:!
    [​IMG]

Anderson Valley Briney Melon Gose vs Terrapin Watermelon Gose:

Appearance:
    Even though I poured the Terrapin first for that photo, The AV beer did billow up a bit more head than the Terrapin. By the time I got them in to sit down, the Briney Melon Gose still had a little head going (which actually surprised me, maybe the Hardywood Pils glass is nucleated or less clean :flushed:?). The Watermelon Gose looks a tad flat. Terrapin's is a tad clearer. No lacing in either.

Smell:
    I don't expect a whole lot in the nose from Gose's so it was interesting taking notes of differences here. The Terrapin smelled a bit more of the added ingredient (watermelon for those joining us late), while the Anderson Valley was more sea-watery and tart. There was a light brininess to the Watermelon Gose, while the Briney Melon Gose actually seemed more tart and actually salty.

Feel:
    More biting tartness from the Briney Melon Gose, while the Terrapin offering was softer. The Terrapin did seem a tad flatter, although the AV wasn't too carbonated; I think the tartness took the place of the carbonation for exciting the taste buds, though.

Taste:
    Only a mild surprise here, given the previous categories. The AV Briney Melon Gose is much more tart, even sour. The watermelon is an impression against a Gose that is similar to the rest of their line. Saltiness pairs with the sour in the latter part of the beer. The Terrapin Watermelon Gose actually reminds me of some Berliner Weiss I have had (though not as tart). Surprisingly, the watermelon is much more prevalent here to the point of actually being a decent representation of the name of the beer.

Overall:
    Tough one. I do like the sour bite and general qualities of the AV beer. But I was impressed by how the additional ingredient came out of the Terrapin beer. Can the lack of other excitement raise the newcomer above the fridge staple of the moment??

Ugh! I can't choose!!

I think the AV wins on being more of what I want in any Gose. I think the Terrapin is a tasty brew, meeting its advertising well. If I went best 3 of 5 by category (it's going to the cards, folks!!): AV gets appearance and probably taste. The feel judge went Terrapin, and the nose judge had the same in a squeaker. The disputed champion tonight, though, is the AV Briney Melon Gose.

Sorry, @MUTINY - your gift put up a valiant fight. I definitely would grab a few more for summer enjoyment. These beers are a tad more different than I expected, and both appealed to me in different ways.

Man! Isn't it a good time to be into beer when you are splitting hairs like this!!

Thanks for indulging and reading, if you took the time, BA :grinning::grinning::grinning:!

40. LloydDobler

LloydDobler Champion (846) Jul 25, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

The cat pee was strong with this one at first. Definitely mellowed as I worked through it, but there was a shitload of sediment in the bottom of my glass!

oldn00b and vabeerguy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.