What beer are you drinking now? #1413

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JISurfer, Sep 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Disciple (317) Sep 24, 2010 Nebraska
    Trader

...yum!

VABA likes this.
  2. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (2,421) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Bottled June 2010! The coffee is gone and it's a bit off. Experiment successful! Six years is too much for Breakfast stout!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Meyvn (1,086) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

4. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,217) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Ok, I am old enough to know I think I pissed off the GF tonight.
    I am also experienced enough to know it's my fault :flushed:
    I also think I know what I might have done :astonished:
    I am also also smart enough to know that what I thought in that previous sentence is probably wrong :slight_frown:

So..........
    [​IMG]

5. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Poo-Bah (3,935) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon
    Society Trader

Interesting. Sorry to brake the continuum:

[​IMG]

6. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (24,346) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Society Trader

Good evening BA, happy Friday! Hope everyone has a good start to the holiday weekend. Got my data reports published that are due next week today, so I have nothing to worry about for the whole weekend. I can expect numerous emails from higher management regarding that information though haha. Will be plenty of meetings to sort out the issues very soon.

Daily reviews:

Great pale lager! Fantastic head retention and dense lacing. Aromas and flavors of big grapefruit, tangerine, lemon/orange peel, citrus rind, light pepper, and piney hops; with light-moderate cracker/bready pils malt; and floral/grassy hop earthiness. A bit of peach/pineapple fruitiness is also in the aromas only. Light-moderate pine/citrus peel bitterness; smooth/crisp/dry finish; with light hop stickiness and grainy malt in the mouthfeel. Very refreshing! Nice robust hop flavors with a lighter malt backbone. Nice clean lagering, zero yeasty notes. As far as my "guess", other than the modest tropical notes in the aromas; the overall character is definitely very similar to Columbus or possibly Chinook hops. Very delicious stuff! 4.03
    [​IMG]

New brewery to me. Marz from IL, contracted cans at Against the Grain. This was outstanding! Aromas and flavors of big pineapple, peach, apricot, passion fruit, mango, melon, papaya, berry, grapefruit, tangerine, lemon/orange peel, pepper, and piney hops; with some toasted bread, light nutty/caramel malt; and herbal/floral/grassy hop/tea earthiness. Moderate pine/herbal/spicy/citrus peel bitterness on the finish. Medium bodied; crisp/sticky/resinous finish with a fair amount of grainy wheat in the mouthfeel. Moderate increasing resin dryness; with slight hop/tea astringency. Claimed to be a Pale wheat ale with Rooibos tea, this more of a straight up IPA. Super bright and juicy mosaic hop complexity; with a solid malt backbone. Highly drinkable. 4.2
    [​IMG]

New Flying Monkey DIPA I found today. This was really nice. Fantastic head retention and dense lacing. Aromas and flavors of big apricot, pineapple, peach, grapefruit, tangerine, passion fruit, mango, papaya, lemon/orange peel, citrus rind, pepper, and piney hops; with moderate caramel, toasted biscuit, and light nutty malt sweetness; with herbal/floral/grassy hop earthiness. Moderate pine/herbal/spicy/citrus rind bitterness on the finish. Medium-full bodied; with a very resinous/sticky hop finish with bready creaminess, and slightly slick/syrupy character in the mouthfeel. Light-moderate increasing resinous dryness. Warming but smooth sipping. This was pretty much American Barleywine area on flavors; but was really juicy and aggressively bitter on hops with great complexity. Amarillo, Galaxy, FF hops. 3.93
    [​IMG]

Cheers

VABA, Ninjakillzu, mickyge and 29 others like this.
  7. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,432) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

8. DEdesings57

DEdesings57 Defender (611) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

A celebration of malt and apparently some carbonation.
    Cheers!
    [​IMG]

9. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,767) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Couch potato time.
    [​IMG]
    After a few Spaten Oktoberfests, this is an excellent contrast. I can pick up the hibiscus particularly well, and it has lime up the wazoo. Yet balanced and drinkable all the same.

BTW, folks, Spaten freaking kills it this year!

10. Franziskaner

Franziskaner Poo-Bah (4,341) May 27, 2005 Missouri
    Society

A great acquisition from a coworker in Philadelphia. I think I like Resin slightly better.

[​IMG]

Pretty sure I'm not the first to reference this:

11. BSiegs

BSiegs Defender (601) Apr 17, 2015 Illinois

My wife worked on this while I drank that Special Sauce. I've created a monster! :grimacing:

[​IMG]

A small pour left for me. Really nice. Chocolate, roast, and glad she saved me some! Probably will buy another bottle for a full review.

I'll be back and getting caught up on posts in a bit! Cheers all!

12. dee4maine

dee4maine Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2015 Maine

Welcome aboard!! And what a beer to pop your WBAYDN cherry! Just remember, you can only keep on going/posting up... so good luck with that... :wink:

mmorris15, dcotom and TongoRad like this.
  13. Ninjakillzu

Ninjakillzu Disciple (360) Oct 5, 2015 Washington

14. ivorycannon

ivorycannon Zealot (544) Feb 21, 2013 Indiana

[​IMG]
    Feeling strange at this moment. Maybe even some De javu kicking in. Seems I have been here before. Maybe I have been here the whole time and did not know it:grinning:

15. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (2,421) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Such an amazing beer. This is from 2012. Cheers!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Zaphog

Zaphog Poo-Bah (2,683) Sep 23, 2011 Michigan
    Society Trader

Toppling Goliath King Sue
    [​IMG]
    Great DIPA, but I give the edge to The Juice is Loose.

17. dee4maine

I read some of your prior reviews (including One-T)and gotta tell you...
    Really well done and documented reviews. The effort you put in shows.. Cheers.

VABA and fmccormi like this.
  18. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,526) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I was happier not knowing this existed and that I have no hope in hell of getting my hands on any.
    "Thar she blows!"

VABA and Lingenbrau like this.
  19. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,432) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

20. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,420) Jan 6, 2014 New York

[​IMG]
    I'm on this trend of drinking old IPAs tonight, but this is one I drank this shit out of and never posted, well, maybe once, but I never gave this the love it deserved. And, damn, it has held up well.

21. charrel

charrel Devotee (407) Jul 10, 2005 Texas
    Trader

[​IMG]

New 500ml format with bottle date of 8/29....Finally!

22. guinness77

Hey! Where the fuck you been? Good to see you.

ivorycannon likes this.
  23. tigg924

tigg924 Poo-Bah (5,831) Apr 30, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society

Made the long drive to get Tree House's King Julius tonight. Not regretting a second of it now. This beer may have the best mouthfeel of any beer I have had. Happy long weekend all.

24. Franziskaner

Society

I did s great dessert beer on occasion. Holy crap there's strawberry, chocolate, vanilla, and bourbon! I don't know how they did this, but they nailed it!
    [​IMG]

25. fmccormi

fmccormi Meyvn (1,408) Oct 24, 2010 California

Thanks, man! I really enjoyed One-T. Holy crap it hits my buttons. That and Lil' Brett—Allagash really pinned me with that one.

dee4maine likes this.
  26. ivorycannon

ivorycannon Zealot (544) Feb 21, 2013 Indiana

oh I have been around:wink:

hoptheology and guinness77 like this.
  27. Scrapss

Scrapss Savant (991) Nov 15, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Gotta love this weather!

Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest and Oscar Leaf Sumatra
    [​IMG]

Cheers!

28. joe1510

joe1510 Poo-Bah (3,647) Aug 21, 2006 Illinois

29. Franziskaner

Society

This is happening:
    [​IMG]

30. fmccormi

fmccormi Meyvn (1,408) Oct 24, 2010 California

Now that I've got some extra time in the evenings, I'm working on typing up some of my recent tasting notes that I hadn't yet had the time to submit to the database. Obviously I go out of my way to drink, taste, and write notes for beers I think I'm going to like, but sometimes one or another sticks out. Grimm Telekinesis is one of them: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/32893/156483/?ba=fmccormi#review

This is from a couple of weeks ago:

So much drool. Goddamn, I loved drinking that beer. Can anyone tell me how to brew something like that, so I can just make my own constant supply? Lord almighty.

Saude, galera!

31. joe1510

joe1510 Poo-Bah (3,647) Aug 21, 2006 Illinois

I've been drinking without posting. Sitting on my lazy, tired ass. I did just go pick up a sixer of Fist City though so I'm drinking one of those now. Flipping between Ivan Drago Rocky and Die Hard. No better than that.

Marklaker, aoampm, tigg924 and 7 others like this.
  32. guinness77

You have one of my favorite avys, and I haven't seen yours in awhile. :angry:

TongoRad and ivorycannon like this.
  33. dee4maine

Awesome. I loved Little Brett and had plenty of it past few months. Did you try Hugh Malone?
    I have some of that waiting to be tried. I am headed to the store to pick up some One T (after reading your review!)

VABA and TongoRad like this.
  34. guinness77

New York, Florida, Maine?

Make up your mind mother fucker, :wink:

TongoRad likes this.
  35. hoptheology

hoptheology Poo-Bah (5,030) May 12, 2014 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Good evening BA'ers, it is downright chilly tonight, clocking in at about 57 degrees. I decided to bust out the pumpkin beers and came up with this one :

[​IMG]

Did a review, nice copper color with ruby highlights, has a good aromatic profile with nutmeg and allspice; has a nice gourd, crust, and spice flavor to it; and though it didn't wow me completely It's not a bad alternative, I'd recommend you try it once.

36. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Poo-Bah (3,935) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon
    Society Trader

Always a little disappointed with this one, but still manage to buy into it. Good, but...

[​IMG]

37. jaydoc

jaydoc Poo-Bah (4,231) Nov 12, 2008 Kansas
    Society Trader

38. hoptheology

hoptheology Poo-Bah (5,030) May 12, 2014 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I love aging posts. Thanks for sharing your expiriment!

I think Breakfast Stout is at its peak about right at the 1 year mark, maybe a month before. Just my opinion, others like it fresh or aged at different intervals, but I think I'll try some 2 and 3 year old ones down the road a bit too. Got about 20 chilling downstairs :slight_smile: Outdated 4 packs for $5.99. Outdated my hind end! AGED! AGED I tell you!! :wink:

mschrei and BSiegs like this.
  39. guinness77

This band at its best.

40. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,767) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Marklaker, VABA and Smakawhat like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.