What beer are you drinking now? #1462

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by barflybastard, Oct 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mooseisloose

mooseisloose Meyvn (1,376) Nov 16, 2005 Florida

Won't ever drink it unless I can get it during Happy Hour

2. skleice

skleice Disciple (301) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

3. zacky_U

zacky_U Initiate (0) May 22, 2013 Michigan

[​IMG]
    Was able to find some 2016!

4. Prager62

Prager62 Poo-Bah (2,383) May 7, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Back home in the cave after stuffing my face for a flashback beer. I thought about this one carefully and stopped in one of my local stores to procure the goods!

Going with something me and the crew used to drink by the case back in the day at a charming dive bar in the Hyde Park neighborhood of Chicago called 'Jimmy's' Woodlawn Tap. They served this 'exotic' beer from 'far away' PA in pony bottles for something like 75 cents. A good friend worked at the nearby Museum of Science and Industry and we spent many a long drunken lunch there eating the best greasy cheese burgers and engaging in great conversation with the University of Chicago scholars, garbage men, and local folks. It was and still is an every man's bar!

The owner Jimmy Wilson was a gregarious fellow and refused to serve Anhueser Busch products at his establishment. The legend has it that the company sent Harry Caray there as a salesman and he promptly threw him out. It kind of makes me chuckle now that the beer he once proudly served is now produced by the company he despised. I haven't been there in years and while Jimmy has long since passed, I'm sure it was grandfathered somewhere in the sale of the bar to keep AB products out. I'll have to make a stop to investigate the next time I'm in the city.

About the beer? I have to say today's version of Rolling Rock is better than what I was expecting. It does seem different going off memory in that it's sweeter. It is crisp and clean with no off flavors and quite the steal at under five bucks a six pack. I laughed about using the remaining five to cook with, but they're serviceable enough to drink. The legend of the '33' on the bottle is just as interesting as the bar I used to drink it in.

[​IMG]

I was quite enthralled with the back story in my youthful beer days. There was something about glass lined tanks that just sounded so damn cool!

It's been a wonderful flashback trip with the beer and the memories! Many thanks to @cjgiant for hosting and of course our great resident artist @LeperJim for coloring our world. Cheers to Jimmy Wilson and '33' for being a part of my life.

5. SweetChicken

SweetChicken Champion (834) Nov 5, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Kill that Mastermind and Focal!!! I am so stinkin jealous!!!

VABA and NickMpls like this.
  6. bobv

bobv Poo-Bah (4,349) Feb 3, 2009 Vermont
    Society Trader

IP trade today at the store.

[​IMG]

4.35/5 rDev -2.5%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

7. Zaphog

Zaphog Poo-Bah (2,971) Sep 23, 2011 Michigan
    Society Trader

Founders Harvest Ale
    [​IMG]

8. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,931) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico
    Society

[​IMG]

Probably drinking a little faster than I want. Went through that last pour of Casey way too quickly.

Now onto some Marble Pilsner. I know New Mexico's reputation (deservedly) is for its hoppy brews but this one is probably my favorite beer produced in this state.

9. 19etz55

19etz55 Disciple (329) Aug 12, 2007 New Jersey
    Trader

Boddington's Pub Ale
    PBR
    Chillwave

Wknd time!

Lingenbrau, zid, utopiajane and 12 others like this.
  10. txmilligan

txmilligan Initiate (0) May 31, 2016 Texas

Enjoying the unwind from a long week in the trenches, finishing off the back half of the Weekend Warrior sixer, got the NHL channel dialed in for the Preds-Dead Things game, and zoning out to Lost Bees by The Life and Times. The most impressive collection of songs I've heard in a long time, and I can't quit the whole album. I'm probably going to break my iPhone.
    [​IMG]

11. joe1510

joe1510 Initiate (0) Aug 21, 2006 Illinois

You're all in the holiday spirit. Slipmat #1?

[​IMG]

Or slipmat #2?

[​IMG]

12. gatheredwaters

gatheredwaters Initiate (0) May 1, 2014 Vermont

Thanks man, I enjoy the shit out of it. High quality wares for sure. You can obtain one here.

threeviews and NickMpls like this.
  13. tigg924

tigg924 Poo-Bah (7,162) Apr 30, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society

Drinking a growler of Trillium Dialed In with Pinot Gris juice...Amazing IPA..Love the white wine notes. Trillium is becoming my new go to localish brewery.

14. Eddiehop

Eddiehop Defender (649) Jun 28, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Getting after some Haze I snagged 2wks ago (7th?). Still fantastic.

Bring on the weekend!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#414 Eddiehop, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  15. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (4,196) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Finally trying this Northwest classic thanks to @kemoarps. Appreciate it, brother.

16. Franziskaner

Franziskaner Poo-Bah (5,385) May 27, 2005 Missouri
    Society Trader

I love the bitter, lightly smokey malt and the touch of licorice in the back of the palate. Way underrated!
    [​IMG]

17. KBS

KBS Disciple (325) Apr 25, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

2013 Perrin Malted Milk Ball. It's good, but definitely past its prime. hasn't been brewed in a long time and definitely remember it better as fresh. Not bad, just faded a bit.
    [​IMG]

18. joe1510

I read through the comments on here and every single time when I get to one of your posts out the corner of my eye I see Mr Baseball.

[​IMG]

Then I look closer and think, "Oh, it's Wade again". It gets me every single time.

19. MattyG85

MattyG85 Poo-Bah (3,529) Aug 31, 2010 Minnesota
    Society

Surly Well of Despair Milk Stout brewed for the show tonight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. brewskis

brewskis Poo-Bah (1,714) Jun 8, 2012 Indiana
    Society

Half Acre Navaja DIPA. Just a dank, juicy, clean, and smooth DIPA like all of their high abv hoppy offerings are. So well done!

[​IMG]

My favorite live version of this song. They were no question on the drug they're singing about..unfortunately it led to their demise not soon after that 1978 show:

#420 brewskis, Oct 22, 2016
  21. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (12,443) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Revolver Brewing Mullet Cutter DIPA next...

22. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,162) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

#flashbackhornsupfriday
    My selection for Flashback Friday is one of the beers that turned me away from crafts/micros for a long time. The year was 2002ish, and I just completed my Bachelors in Binge Drinking in a most efficient 6 1/2 years. I was burned out on Bud Light/Miller Lite/Coors Light, so after spending some time with the "King", I started experimenting (not that kind, I was married in 1998).

Naturally Great Lakes was widely available and had been around since 1988, so I figured they had to make good stuff. I had Edmund Fitzgerald (which is now one of my fridge staples) and thought it tastes like someone dumped an ashtray into my crappy city water at a restaurant. Then I tried a Burning River, which I would have described as tasting like such at the time. Then, only because I already bought all 3, I tried this one. While I never have become a fan of Burning River or the Commadore, I realized I have not had this one in a long time. I might be working my way back to my initial impression (yes, I do impressions) with it at this point. It is very malty, syrupy, and sweet. Still think it really tastes more like an imperial/DIPA, and at 7.7% it has to be. Reminds me of what a Chillwave would taste like at 6 months old.

Hope you enjoyed the trip down memory lane more than I did the beer.

[​IMG]

\m/

23. Junkforadam

Junkforadam Initiate (146) Jan 12, 2015 Oklahoma
    Trader

Bottled one year ago today, my 3rd of 6 BCBS regular I scored last year. Deliscious brew, no funky infection, just bourbon barrel stout goodness!
    Flashback today last year!

[​IMG]

#423 Junkforadam, Oct 22, 2016
  24. SweetChicken

SweetChicken Champion (834) Nov 5, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Killer beer on tap. At Steel & Rye in Milton this week. Looking for more.

VABA and russpowell like this.
  25. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (2,319) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Society

Confit de canard. F'in auto correct.
    It keeps indefinitely if you keep using it for confit. It is also nice to poach potatoes.
    Nice record mats, by the way.

VABA, tasterschoice62 and joe1510 like this.
  26. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Meyvn (1,486) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

27. joe1510

I prefer Dr Canard, that was my stage name in a life past.

28. Zaphog

Zaphog Poo-Bah (2,971) Sep 23, 2011 Michigan
    Society Trader

Odd Side Hazel's Nuts
    [​IMG]

29. BSiegs

BSiegs Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2015 Illinois

Was able to finally track this one down, excited to try it!

[​IMG]

Have a bet on the Oregon-Cal game, so going to enjoy some brews and watch some football. That's a Friday night I can get behind! :slight_smile:

Still letting this warm up, so I'll share my thoughts in a bit. Cheers all!

30. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (6,086) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

To quote @Lingenbrau: :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:!!!
    Revisiting a place from your past would be taking the Throwback theme to the next level!!!

For my attempt to take a tiny step up in level, I offer, for my sixth beer of the night (though only 4th throwback beer): Boulevard's Sixth Glass (sadly I reused the Ommegang glass for the two saisons, or it would also be the sixth glass):
    [​IMG]

The more interesting "backstory" on this one is actually very recent. The boring stuff, I rated this in January, 2015 and added a review in May of the same year (my review mentions I did not change my ratings from January that led to a 4.09 rating).

So recently, my good friend @pretzyl04 told me his wife (who I recently learned likes old ales) was at a Virginia brewery and was enjoying their quad. So I start thinking of the quads he can get for her. This beer immediately comes to mind (Ommegang's Three Philosophers being another). He has gotten both in the past weeks (and brought some to last weekend's party).

So when perusing the beers for today, this one jumped out as I have not had it in a while (though more recently than 5/2015, I think - unless that was Dark Truth I bought :rolling_eyes:). Anyhow, a 4+ beer I don't buy more regularly? Duh!

In my review I say let this beer come to temp. Check! while I wrote up the back story. I also say this is a finishing/end-of-night beer. We'll see on that.

Ok, this is definitely one where something has changed - be it my palate or the recipe or both. I am guessing my palate. I do not find this as sweet as my review indicates. There is a nice bitterness that counters the sweeter malts (that grow a tad more aggressive with warmth). I adjusted a few ratings (look up, feel down), but ended at 4.08, so little change overall. Need to grab this more often than I do, but probably not going to be a staple.

Speaking of which, did I at one point hear rumblings for a new MST3K simulview? Maybe with a theme?? (**cough** @TongoRad **cough**)

#430 cjgiant, Oct 22, 2016
  31. mickyge

mickyge Poo-Bah (2,073) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society

Making some onion sour dough bread tonight with my 2 year old sour starter I sacrificed a 1/2 of a Dead Guy Ale

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL]

#431 mickyge, Oct 22, 2016
  32. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (5,044) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Could be - sign me up!

WesMantooth, TongoRad and cjgiant like this.
  33. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (4,423) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

So I've had a long travel day during which I reminisced about flashbacks, especially the one with my roommate, spring semester '77, where we...what's that? Beer Flashbacks, you say? Oh,right...

I may have had one of these since I joined the site 1 1/2 years ago, but I don't even recognize the label:

[​IMG]

And I haven't reviewed or rated it...first IPA I've had in 6 weeks...

I remember working my way up the bitterness scale years ago, and ultimately drinking 90 Minute regularly as it had the higher ABV I seek, and as advertised, didn't "crush" my tongue with their aggressive hopping. Bitter but balanced...I liked it...

Tonight's thoughts: A very well balanced double IPA. Lovely to look at with dense meringue like white foam and lacing to die for...

Fresh hops and pine cone nose w/scent of lemon grass and pear...

Hoppy pine flavor up front, good bitterness but not too much. No flavor hint of 9%, under creamy caramel maltiness...

Med. lite mouthfeel w/resinous tongue coating...

Dry, crisp hoppy bitter finish; very well balanced with the slick caramel malt foundation...

This will probably score (for me) around 4.25, and in between drinking new beers, I shoul keep this beer close by, like an old friend...now about that night in '77 ... Cheers!

34. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (5,044) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Wow man! Burning like the Cuyahoga!

MattyG85, WesMantooth and TongoRad like this.
  35. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (4,247) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Moderator Society Trader

8 year old J.W. Less. Holy crap is this good! It's the oldest one I have tried. Such a nice smooth smoky caramel flavor. Damn!

[​IMG]

JamFuel, beerloserLI, zid and 15 others like this.
  36. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,460) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

37. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (2,653) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

We should have a beer dinner with you two as the Chefs. Hell I'll even chip in to fly you in.

TongoRad and joe1510 like this.
  38. joe1510

'77 You say? Roommate you say?

39. beerjerk666

beerjerk666 Poo-Bah (3,313) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

40. joe1510

We should charge for it and then everyone else could fly us in instead of yourself. Also, pay for a few hours at the local gentlemen's club, because I'm nothing if not a gentleman.

TongoRad likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.