What Beer are you drinking now? #1491

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by dszok, Nov 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dszok

dszok Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2015 Pennsylvania

Starting it off this morning with a Mexican biscotti cake break! More kids bday parties on the agenda for today and most likely no beer. Who throws a kids bday party without beer?

[​IMG]

MacMalt, cjgiant, Purp1eOne and 56 others like this.
  2. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (6,771) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] This always helps clear the cob webs on a Saturday morning. Cheers all .

3. Highbrow

Highbrow Devotee (460) Jan 7, 2011 California
    Trader

good morning!

[​IMG]

MacMalt, kjlcm, Antthehopman and 67 others like this.
  4. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (25,465) May 5, 2010 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Good morning BA, have a great Saturday! We have a bit of some crazy weather up here this weekend. Went from a high of 70 yesterday and T-Storms; to a high of 40 today and 34 tomorrow. Chance of rain to snow mix as well. I am not looking forward to winter lol.

Way more hazy than last year due to being unfiltered, just as mind blowing. Flavors of huge grapefruit, peach, pineapple, passion fruit, papaya, tangerine, mango, melon, berry, lemon zest, orange peel, citrus rind, and pine hops; with some light honey, wheat, bready malts; and herbal/floral/grassy hop earthiness. Moderate pine/rind/grassy bitterness on the finish. Medium bodied; balanced grainy malt and sticky/resins in the mouthfeel. Crisp/dry finish and never astringent on hop resins. I got 1 left, but one of my stores got more cases this week, so I am going to grab more for sure! Insanely bright and dank across the board. This is the best standard IPA I’ve ever had last year, and it still holds that status this year. Mosaic and Equinox hops are my favorite of all time right now.
    [​IMG]

Delicious! Flavors of grapefruit, orange zest, pine, caramel, raisin, toffee, vanilla, bourbon, and toasted oak. Moderate pine/citrus rind bitterness and bourbon/oak spice on the finish. Medium-plus bodied; nicely creamy and sticky/resinous balance in the mouthfeel; a touch slick and silky from the barrel. Increasingly drying finish from resins, but never astringent or overly aggressive like the base beer. Really drinkable. Will grab again for sure. Was a bit underwhelmed when I reviewed this initially, but I really love it now. Lots of barrel character going on.
    [​IMG]

2015 is tasting insane! Flavors of huge milk/dark chocolate, nutty coffee, cocoa, caramel, vanilla, toffee, brown sugar, molasses, bourbon, and toasted oak; with some light raisin/fig dark fruits. Bittersweet balanced roast with light bourbon/oak spice on the finish. Very full bodied with an amazing creamy/silky and rich mouthfeel. Mildly warming ABV. Wow! This is pretty much perfectly balanced now, about 21 months from bottling. Still lots of nutty coffee flavor, with nice bourbon presence without being boozy at all. I have always thought fresh was the best, but this definitely makes me think twice about that opinion. This is definitely one of the more memorable times I’ve revisited this one with significant age. I will have to revisit another 2016 soon, I remember it being one of the best batches I’ve had in recent years.
    [​IMG]

Breaking out an Aug 2013 bottle, been sitting in my closet since I bought it fresh. This is just as incredible as when I reviewed a 3 year old bottle 3 years ago! Flavors of huge tart/sour blackberry, raspberry, cranberry, lemon, green apple, red grape, pepper, toasted oak, vanilla, almond, and light red wine vinegar; with some spicy/bready rye malt; and hay, straw, leather, and musty Brett funkiness. Very sour finishing; acidic, tannic, puckering, and dry. Some solid grainy malt balance, in an otherwise highly acidic mouthfeel. This is still very drinkable despite the high acidic sourness; never astringent. Amazing levels of Bretty funk in combination with Lacto and fruit sourness. I need to revisit the other sour sisters again soon, been a couple years. They are so much easier to get now for obvious reasons :rolling_eyes:.
    [​IMG]

Cheers

5. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Meyvn (1,213) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Morning BA's and happy Saturday

Crazy weather indeed.....it was 74 and sunny Friday,busy productive day, last sail on my catamaran, raked tons of leaves and did a nice hike and other odds and ends....

The temperature has dropped 20 degrees since I first woke up, and high winds rain and snow on the way.....bleah! Mother Nature giving us all a bit of a "bitch slap" this weekend!

Digging this new collab....tasty Scotch Ae

[​IMG]

Always a sad day when all sailboats are out of the water and tucked away for winter.....got some great sails in on this sweet little boat; best $100 I ever spent!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,747) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society Trader

Good morning!
    It's supposed to be a good day today. I am going to finish the fall yard work before the crappy weather hits tomorrow.
    Starting with a tofu scramble with some coffee (stout).
    [​IMG]

7. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (7,253) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

Good morning, BAs! I've already had tons of coffee, having been up since before 5, so now it's time for some breakfast and a brew.

[​IMG]
    Stone Xocoveza

Cheers!

MacMalt, cjgiant, Purp1eOne and 57 others like this.
  8. 911CROFT

911CROFT Devotee (438) May 18, 2015 England
    Trader

Spending the day with my brother at Magic Rock Tap House. Gonna be a good one Cheers!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (4,189) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Is it too early to call #20? Happy Saturday, BAs.

MacMalt, cjgiant, Purp1eOne and 49 others like this.
  10. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (4,420) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Good short visit here in Charleston with some of Mrs. Z's family. Long drive today to the "other" Charleston to spend holiday with my mom and siblings. Better get the coffee going:

[​IMG]

VABA, MacMalt, cjgiant and 50 others like this.
  11. cbcrunch

cbcrunch Poo-Bah (2,345) Jan 21, 2012 Wyoming
    Society

Morning BAs.
    It's a cold, snowy, wild game processing day in Wyoming.

[​IMG]

Have a great weekend.

MacMalt, cjgiant, Purp1eOne and 40 others like this.
  12. JouerAvecLeFeu

JouerAvecLeFeu Champion (800) Apr 17, 2015 Washington
    Trader

13. beerloserLI

beerloserLI Meyvn (1,305) Apr 2, 2011 New York
    Society Trader

Happy Saturday ba. The inner clock is in full work mode and I'm up and at early. It's no fbs but still pretty tasty for the dialed down 5% abv,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. drunkenmess

drunkenmess Savant (967) Mar 27, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Morning Folks.

Typical beer for a morning post, right?

[​IMG]

I actually havent had one of these for breakfast in a while. Maybe... I dont remember:flushed::rolling_eyes:.

Who cares :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers Kids!
    Have a great weekend

15. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,999) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Announcement time!

For those who weren't around last year, or were unable to participate for whatever reason, now's your chance because we're doin' it again!!! Saturday, November 26th, will be the Second Annual WBAYDN Beer Turkey Day. Your bellies should be rested and ready by then, because you're gonna need them in tip top shape.That's right, get your bad beers ready, whether they be stale, infected, or just plain poorly conceived, and tell us all about it. Let us wallow in each others' misery, while simultaneously being thankful for just how great we all have it the rest of the time. But that's also no reason not to break out just a few overwrought descriptions (if you know what I mean)...So be prepared to bring your worst beer and your best purple prose. There will be no set time; just start posting as soon as you can muster the nerve.

But wait: there's more! At 9pm EST we'll be starting a simulviewing of a particularly Bad Movie, courtesy of the good folks at Mystery Science Theater 3000, and sharing our thoughts and insights throughout. It'll be 2 hours of good cheesy fun. We're voting today to determine the episode, and most of them are available on line for viewing.

All votes from now until midnight eastern time tonight will be counted. I'll start it off with suggesting Teenage Caveman, in honor of recently deceased Robert Vaughn.

So save those bad boys lurking in the dark and dingy corners of your abode, and break them out with the rest of us. See yaz then...

MacMalt, cjgiant, FriedSlug and 36 others like this.
  16. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (6,771) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

Seriously love that beer! Cheers man. The store I go to only got a case and I got 12 of them. Until I get more I need to be sparing with them.:slight_frown:

17. RonaldTheriot

RonaldTheriot Poo-Bah (4,092) Aug 11, 2008 Louisiana
    Society

I tried this beer, once, and I really liked it!

18. RonaldTheriot

RonaldTheriot Poo-Bah (4,092) Aug 11, 2008 Louisiana
    Society

[​IMG]

4.5% alcohol. 22 IBU. Introduced in 2016. Brewed in Quebec.

19. The_Kriek_Freak

The_Kriek_Freak Poo-Bah (2,482) Aug 18, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Lately, I have been ticking off new beer styles like nobody's business (and it's not even intentional!). Even though I've lived in Europe for about 25 years, this is my very first Euro Dark Lager and somewhat ironically it's from... Colorado (or NC in fact).

[​IMG]

20. zacky_U

zacky_U Initiate (0) May 22, 2013 Michigan

[​IMG]
    Instead of my fiance being mad that I'm drinking a beer at 10am, she asked for a small glass. And it counts as a coffee beverage!

21. 911CROFT

Trader

Still at Magic Rock....

[​IMG]

22. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (6,228) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

[​IMG]

Cheers!

I hope everyone enjoys this wonderful weather!

23. beermanben

beermanben Disciple (343) Jan 23, 2015 Wisconsin
    Trader

Morning BA. Gonna be a brisk one in Wisconsin today.
    [​IMG]

24. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (2,915) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Good morning, BAs! Starting a little earlier than usual today, but I couldn't wait a moment longer to crack one of these open.
    [​IMG]
    Oh. My. Gawd. :grimacing:

I waited in a 2+ hour line for this. It was worth it. If there is a heaven, this would be one of the taps up there.

25. Marklaker

Marklaker Zealot (577) Jun 5, 2014 Florida

They'd likely feature it in that "other place", too....but with a much longer wait.

cjgiant, mschrei, beerjerk666 and 4 others like this.
  26. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (2,915) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

And it would be aged 6 months, so basically a snow globe. Gotta earn your way into heaven if you want the fresh stuff.

cjgiant, beerjerk666, VABA and 2 others like this.
  27. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,747) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society Trader

Yard work done, now it's nothing but beer and football.
    Enjoying this

[​IMG]

28. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon

Happy Saturday BA's! Believe it or not, I'm at a loss for words, therefore, remember to bust out those Funky and Festive Glasses for Holiday Glass of the Week Awards which starts tomorrow! I'm still trying to put together a motivated Staff that's up for the challenge, but looking forward to it all the same :wink:. Alright, it's time for the Glass of the Day Awards!

GotD:
    This was a no brainer right out of the gate. @Highbrow whose classiness is second to none. This is an amazing Bruery glass. Part teku, part snulip :stuck_out_tongue:, all gorgeous! Cheers and congrats!
    2nd: This weizen glass has more going on with it than a quick glance can tell BA's. Check out that taper into a hexagonal base :grimacing:! @laketang , she's a beauty! That pie don't look too shabby either.
    3rd: @El_Brujo_de_A2 hasn't even been here a week and he's already making his presence known with this big ol' ceramic mug from the world of wizardry.

Honorable mentions goes out to @cjgiant for an awesome and proper post jog Allagash session, and to @impending for another amazing photo shoot with this clean champagne flute.
    Special shout out to @joe1510 for making everything right again in the BA world with your avatar back to normal :sunglasses:.
    Cheers everyone and I will see you all soon!

GotD.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HM 1: https://www.beeradvocate.com/commun...-drinking-now-1490.465762/page-2#post-5115968

HM 2: https://www.beeradvocate.com/commun...-drinking-now-1490.465762/page-2#post-5115731

29. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (4,189) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Maybe everyone's out raking?

30. Beer-Panda

Beer-Panda Defender (655) Mar 27, 2016 Netherlands

31. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Poo-Bah (2,965) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Side by side tasting. BA is tasting amazing this year. So smooth.
    [​IMG]

32. beerjerk666

beerjerk666 Poo-Bah (3,310) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

G' mornin' BA's! Been up since 6 a.m. myself.

Grocery shopping is done for Thanksgiving! 23 lbs. turkey is thawing in the fridge and I had to make room and reorganize the beer, plus I couldn't resist the SN Celebration this time!

Sooooo, making some lunch and drinking my first of many Celebrations for the season!
    [​IMG]
    Gotta use the SN glasses I won last year from posting my pic on their website! #properglassware

Cheers!

33. GoBearsWalter34

GoBearsWalter34 Poo-Bah (1,952) Aug 1, 2014 Illinois
    Society

Avery Hogs Breath Barleywine.

34. 911CROFT

Trader

Magic Rock: Punchline

Masses of chipotle coming through in this.

[​IMG]

35. Marklaker

Marklaker Zealot (577) Jun 5, 2014 Florida

Hmmmm.....maybe that's why I'm relegated to malt bombs. :astonished::flushed:

VABA and CanConPhilly like this.
  36. Jraiona

Jraiona Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2016 Kentucky

37. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (6,228) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

38. MFMB

MFMB Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2015 Idaho

[​IMG]

Good morning BAs,

Getting a start on enjoying one of the final college football Saturday's of the year. Last weekend with the wife out so I plan on binging on football today and tomorrow! She prefers I don't waste my whole weekend watching. Imagine that!
    Starting with these 2 IPAs from ReBerg Brewing in Shanghai China. So I poured these two thinking they were different beers and upon first taste I can tell you that the green one has a bit more citrus going on. It turns out they are the same beer from a special edition indie rock six pack that features this IPA with six different labels. No biggie I just get to two fist these now! It is actually a pretty decent rendition of a American IPA, like I said the green one is extra fresh with a huge citrus orange nose/taste.

Cheers BAs happy Saturday

#38 MFMB, Nov 19, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  39. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (3,215) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Grilled cheese sandwich, with 2016 Celebration.
    Cheers all

40. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon

Proof that it pays to be proper :wink:

Shanex, VABA and beerjerk666 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.