What beer are you drinking now? #1608

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Shanex, Mar 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (9,416) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Trader

Will have to check out when not loopy/drowsy...

muchloveforhops3 likes this.
  2. spaceman24

spaceman24 Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2008 Texas

Sturgill is a good place to start. His newest album is his least country, by most sources, so check out his older stuff if you haven't. He used to front a band called Sunday Valley that also had some good tunes, but you'll probably only be able to find them on YouTube. I believe most of them dudes quit and he changed the name afterward.

James McMurtry has put out a lot of good stuff, and he's an old, ugly guy, so that oughta fit. BJ Barham of American Aquarium (who I love but are more rock/Americana) put out a solo album last year that I liked. Jason Isbell's Southeastern had some songs that fit that vibe, though he's another one that is more Americana, usually. John Moreland is the truth, but again, maybe slightly more Americana than anything.

Whiskey Myers is one to check out if you don't mind some southern rock mixed with your country.

Stoney LaRue, Cody Jinks, Chris Knight, Whitey Morgan and the 78s, Charlie Robison, Ryan Bingham are all putting out good stuff.

If you haven't gotten into the Texas/Red Dirt scene, it's a lot of what I'd consider the evolution of country from the 80s and 90s would have been if all that Nashville bro crap hadn't taken over. Randy Rogers Band, Wade Bowen, Reckless Kelly, Micky and the Motorcars, Turnpike Troubadours, William Clark Green, Jason Boland and the Stragglers, and Uncle Lucius are some bands that I like from down here.

If any of that strikes your fancy, 95.9 The Ranch has a live stream and they play all this kind of stuff, plus they sprinkle in the classics from down here (Billy Joe Shaver, Robert Earl Keen, etc.) and elsewhere (Cash, Haggard, etc.) every now and again.

Oh, and I'm having a Hamm's. 24 pack is $15.50 with tax at the local WalMart, and that's the cheapest beer I've seen in these parts. Had a Bell's Kalamazoo Stout and SNPA earlier.

#402 spaceman24, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    SammyJaxxxx and joe1510 like this.
  3. spaceman24

Heard good things but haven't looked into him yet, myself.

4. spaceman24

I dig them, too.

muchloveforhops3 and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  5. MjBrewhouse

MjBrewhouse Defender (602) Mar 25, 2014 Idaho
    Society Trader

Next[​IMG] This one needs a little time in the cellar.
    Steely Dan Aja helped get me through High School.

6. miwestcoaster

miwestcoaster Meyvn (1,052) Jan 19, 2013 Michigan

russpowell likes this.
  7. joe1510

joe1510 Poo-Bah (3,647) Aug 21, 2006 Illinois

Could you message me that? Thanks for the info and work. I appreciate that.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  8. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,326) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Society Trader

James McMurtry is incredible. I never really considered him country. More of a singer songwriter type.

Ryan Bingham has really been killing it with his last couple albums.

How did neither of us mention Steve Earle?

Sturgil's last album is all over the place. I don't mean that as a negative at all. The first track, Welcome To Earth, reminds me of Sinatra.

joe1510 likes this.
  9. spaceman24

Happy to. I never used to listen to country much until I moved down south. Slowly got into it, but I think the good stuff beats the hell out anything out of Nashville, and even the bad stuff is about as good as the best of what they're putting out.

Stapleton is kind of an oddity, as I knew of him a few years back when he was fronting a bluegrass outfit called The Steeldrivers. He left to lay low, I think family/etc., and wrote a lot of songs for the industry. When he put his new solo album out, I first heard of it on The Ranch down here, and then not long after he blew up. Nothing to do with them, just funny to hear him on there and then all of a sudden everyone knows him. Sturgill was kinda the same way.

SammyJaxxxx and joe1510 like this.
  10. joe1510

joe1510 Poo-Bah (3,647) Aug 21, 2006 Illinois

Steve Earle is great. I wouldn't think of him as country.

russpowell and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  11. MjBrewhouse

Society Trader

This one on the other hand is good to go. Rich, thick and delicious. Not sure if its because of the value but I think this my very favorite Russian Imperial Stout, still have a few in the cellar.. thank god, after all its still mid March.
    [​IMG]
    First time I have ever posted 3 songs off the same album but this is no ordinary album.

12. spaceman24

Yeah, I really hesitate to call McMurtry country, too. I first heard him on The Ranch, also, so I guess he is considered close enough for those guys. He came through here a few weeks ago and I would have loved to see him, but we just had a kid a few months ago and I couldn't swing it. Hopefully I'll get the chance again.

I'll be honest, Steve Earle begins and ends at Copperhead Road for me. He's another that I probably need to take some time to listen to. I've heard there's a little more depth to him than what all the hillbillies dancing to it growing up in the Midwest would have had me believe.

I was late to the game on Sturgill. Heard him on the radio a bit and bought all three of his albums a couple weeks ago. Have given the first two several spins but haven't gotten to A Sailor's Guide to Earth Yet, but what you're saying falls in line with what I've read.

13. mschrei

mschrei Poo-Bah (2,224) Jul 4, 2014 Illinois
    Society

I have to throw one more beer and one more song out here tonight. Cheers, friends! See you on Irish day. I'm gonna play me so many fuckin Pogues songs....
    [​IMG]

14. SammyJaxxxx

Society Trader

Also Lydia Loveless

And going back 25 years
    Lone Justice

Crawfish61, russpowell and joe1510 like this.
  15. spaceman24

GrumpyGas and joe1510 like this.
  16. SammyJaxxxx

Society Trader

Steve Earle check out I Feel Allright. I think it is his best album. Copperhead Road being 2nd. He can be very hit and miss for me. Sometimes his politics get in the way.

With Sturgil I heard about Turtles when it first came out. Loved it. I thought The idea of a country guy covering 80's synth pop was interesting. The first album is a little too country for me. The new is great.

17. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (1,779) Sep 15, 2014 New York

18. SammyJaxxxx

Society Trader

We are an hour and a half into St Patrick's day here on the East coast. So let's get the Pogues going

19. Maestro0708

Maestro0708 Aspirant (267) Feb 27, 2015 Kentucky

[​IMG]

Finishing off the night!

Cheers!

20. muchloveforhops3

muchloveforhops3 Savant (929) Apr 5, 2009 Oregon
    Society

Well-played, @SammyJaxxxx !

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  21. spaceman24

I tend to lean a little more left as I get older, but yeah, Earle seems a little out there. But I'm usually okay with letting the music speak for itself, so I'll give him a shot. Appreciate the recommendation!

You mean "The Promise?" I thought "Turtles All the Way Down" was his own composition. But either way, yeah, he's an interesting cat. He covered Nirvana on the most recent album, and I think that not necessarily tying yourself down to any particular genre, or at least what's been historically considered as such, is a good thing. Cody Jinks put out a cover of "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd recently, and that's pretty cool, too.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  22. spaceman24

23. SammyJaxxxx

Society Trader

Yeah The Promise. I'm pretty sure he wrote everything else on the album.

24. aoampm

aoampm Champion (861) Apr 26, 2014 Hawaii
    Trader

[​IMG]
    Norah is hot

Susan is not

VABA, Crawfish61, benzodrums and 9 others like this.
  25. spaceman24

I believe so. He's talented, either way.

26. MjBrewhouse

Society Trader

Going to finish with this.
    [​IMG]
    On a Steely Dan roll tonight, why not stop. This one is for @bowzer4birdie, hope you like it.

27. The-Adjunct-Hippie

The-Adjunct-Hippie Poo-Bah (4,271) May 12, 2014 South Dakota
    Trader

Hotboxin'

[​IMG]

And boxin' (Rocky IV on AMC)

28. Dutchcraftbeergeek

Dutchcraftbeergeek Champion (823) Nov 21, 2015 Netherlands

29. bowzer4birdie

bowzer4birdie Poo-Bah (1,579) Aug 16, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Nice, man!!