What beer are you drinking now? #1680

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SawDog505, May 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (2,254) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Beer Trader

Mrs. Z woke up and wanted baked apples, cottage cheese and lime sherbet. What's a boy to do!? I put 4 honey crisps (and a pear) in a baking dish with plenty of butter, brown sugar, and a 1/4 cup of orange juice. Covered with foil, and popped in 350 oven and scampered off to the grocery store, where I picked up, inter alia, a fresh sixer canned 5/19/17:

That's some tasty juice!
    Happy wife, happy life BAs - Cheers!

2. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Meyvn (1,285) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

This is literally one of my favorite beers of ALL time. This is just insane. Cheers all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JamFuel, Lingenbrau, dcotom and 29 others like this.
  3. beerloserLI

beerloserLI Defender (660) Apr 2, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

It's the start of summer and I'm not at the beach. Hell, I'm barely wearing shorts. You don't think the spring on the north east has been uncharacteristically wet and cool? Player please.

VABA, Prager62, Marklaker and 4 others like this.
  4. leroybrown10

leroybrown10 Meyvn (1,141) Jan 26, 2008 Missouri
    Beer Trader

5. Zaphog

Zaphog Poo-Bah (2,142) Sep 23, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Old Nation Boss Tweed
    [​IMG]

6. Txex06

Txex06 Initiate (155) Dec 28, 2016 Texas

[​IMG]
    Some Two Hearted to go with sushi, Malaysian fried rice, and some cloudy sake.

JamFuel, Lingenbrau, dcotom and 22 others like this.
  7. Fracwilt

Fracwilt Initiate (153) Nov 23, 2016 South Carolina

8. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Poo-Bah (2,240) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon
    Beer Trader

And six days off starts now. Cheers!

[​IMG]

utopiajane, JamFuel, dcotom and 32 others like this.
  9. malfunxion

malfunxion Savant (958) Dec 14, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]
    Holy hell I haven't had this beer since 2015 , and I've missed it so much , the coffee in this banger is the real deal , thank you pizza port!

JamFuel, Lingenbrau, dcotom and 23 others like this.
  10. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (3,335) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Something from off the beaten path...
    [​IMG]
    Lough Gill Brewing's 11% abv Imperial Oatmeal Coffee Cream Stout...
    [​IMG]
    Part of their Rebel Stout Series... From the label, "There's more than one stout in Ireland, and we can prove it. Our Rebel Stouts are the dark Irish beer your mother didn't tell you about. Creating dark, mysterious and unique brews is our passion. Craft brewed in our independent brewery in Sligo."

The pour was a translucent dark brown, but netted an appropriately black-bodied brew in the glass, with a slim finger of dark tan foam on top. Some lace lingered behind, but got pulled back into the beer pretty quickly. Aromas suggested molasses and coffee, with some roasted black chocolate in the background. Sweet on the sip, bringing impressions of coffee sweetened with molasses and chocolate and lightened by cream. Feel was relatively light, soft and smooth, though I'm partial to a heavier build in any stout, particularly those coming in at imperial strength. Not much on the bitterness or char front - stayed sweet to the end with plenty of coffee and chocolate syrup through to the finish.

Packaged in a 14.9 oz. can with no dating, but I'm thinking the beer was a January 2017 or earlier release based on the brewery's Facebook page.

Gearing up for a re-watch of Prometheus...

Anticipating seeing Alien: Covenant next weekend...

Where are all the aliens?

They forgot #11, we are the aliens... :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

Stay vigilant, BA...

#290 Greywulfken, May 28, 2017
    Last edited: May 28, 2017
  11. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (7,789) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

Urban Chestnut/Ommegang Belgian Style Lager with spices

12. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Zealot (540) Nov 4, 2015 New York

13. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (9,701) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Supporter Beer Trader

Good evening BA, hope everyone had a good Saturday so far. As promised yesterday, I went out to Rochester Hills and found some new beer. About 1 case of singles and a case of bottles or so. Not too shabby, but also insanely expensive. It'll keep me busy for another couple weeks. Glad I was able to restock my bomber line in the door of my fridge. Got a lot of sours as usual: the Mikkeller Spontaneous and Almanac stuff I didn't grab yet, and there are still a few more I can get when I go back.

Today's new reviews:

A dry hopped lager from Well's & Young's. This was delicious! Insane head retention and lasting lacing on the glass, nice clarity. Aromas and flavors of lemon, peach, pineapple, passion fruit, melon, pear, grapefruit, orange zest, herbal, floral, grassy, and light peppery hops; with moderate cracker/white bready malt balance. Light-moderate herbal/grassy/spicy bitterness on the finish. Medium bodied; balanced bready/grainy malts and sticky hops in the mouthfeel. Moderately crisp and increasing bitter dryness. Very refreshing. Perfectly clean lagering, no yeasty notes. This is brewed with Styrian Goldings, then lagered on Galaxy and Ella hops. Really nice profile. Superb pale lager with plenty of flavor for 4.7%. 3.93
    [​IMG]

This was really nice. Aromas and flavors of lightly tart lemon, lime, green apple, pear, white grape, berry, sea salt, wheat, cracker, and light pepper/lacto funk. Light-moderate lactic tartness and light peppery spice on the finish. Light-medium bodied; balanced grainy malt, lactic acid, and salinity in the mouthfeel. Moderately crisp/drying finish. Very flavorful and refreshing, never puckering. A lot more balanced than the other Anderson Valley Gose I've had, in regards to lactic acidity. Well worth picking up again, but so are the rest of them. My least favorite of the lot rating-wise, but that doesn't really mean much. 3.9
    [​IMG]

Great fruit beer! Aromas and flavors of big juicy apricots, peach, pineapple, pear, and herbal/peppery hops; with balanced wheat, cracker, toasted biscuit malts. Some yeasty earthiness. Light-moderate herbal/spicy hop bitterness and slight fruit tartness on the finish. Medium bodied; balanced bready/grainy wheat and sticky hops in the mouthfeel. Moderately crisp, increasing bitter dryness. Super refreshing. The balance between fruit and wheat beer flavors are perfect. Very authentic and not artificial on fruits. A tad bitter for the style, but I have zero complaints. Really impressive! 4
    [​IMG]

Batch #2, listed as 4%. Awesome wild ale! Aromas and flavors of big lightly tart lemon, lime, peach, pineapple, melon, green apple, pear, white grape, white wine, pepper, oak, hay, straw, herbal, grass, and tea; with some wheat/crackery malts; and lighter notes of leathery/musty funk and white vinegar. Light lactic tartness and yeast/oak spiciness on the finish. Light-medium bodied; balanced grainy wheat, lactic acid, and light oak tannins in the mouthfeel. Moderately crisp/drying finish, never puckering. Very drinkable and refreshing. Classic JK funk profile with added Kombucha Tea flavors. Jester King is the literal Texas equivalent of Jolly Pumpkin for me. Rarely been disappointed, always consistent and delicious. 4.1
    [​IMG]

Cheers

14. russpowell

Beer Trader

I fell asleep twice watching Promethius in the theater. This Aliens reboot looks more promising

Greywulfken likes this.
  15. tlema1

tlema1 Meyvn (1,330) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Another long Saturday at the store, having a few Jai Alai's on draft...Happy Memorial Day weekend

16. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (2,282) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Beer Trader

17. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (1,671) Apr 6, 2010 Texas
    Supporter Beer Trader

It's a juicy day in Texas (which is another way of saying it's hot and humid), so how about a juicy beer?

[​IMG]

This is the Transient iteration. It's very good, but not as good as I thought it would be.

18. mschrei

mschrei Meyvn (1,403) Jul 4, 2014 Illinois
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Mikerphone Cat's in the Cradle - double dry hopped IPA with Simcoe.
    [​IMG]

19. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Meyvn (1,002) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

Grillin and Chillin with some chicken thighs marinated in ginger, chilies and lime and stout. [​IMG]

20. beerloserLI

beerloserLI Defender (660) Apr 2, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

My last bcbs while we're at it here ba. I'm enjoying it as always but it's pretty crazy how the lag high west can still match up with them all. Especially given it's price value,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (3,335) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

That seems to the consensus knock on the film - slow-paced, too "talky" - but I had no such experience - I loved it... The word on Covenant is that it is far more action-packed, but is also something of a mash-up of stuff from previous entrants in the series, i.e., it breaks no new ground. Whatevs... :rolling_eyes: lol :stuck_out_tongue: - I'm a big fan of the series - I've loved all the films... :sunglasses:
    [​IMG]
    Cheers... :wink:

22. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Meyvn (1,002) Aug 16, 2009 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

the new recipe is really damn good, unfiltered as a beer should be

[​IMG]

23. Mongrel

Mongrel Crusader (769) Feb 14, 2013 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Date nite with the Mrs. Cheers BA!

24. LongTaco15

LongTaco15 Aspirant (208) Feb 4, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

25. guinness77

guinness77 Crusader (791) Jan 6, 2014 New York

[​IMG]
    Sand City/Barrage DIPA collab....really an exceptional beer.

26. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (2,777) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Splitting a 2015 Blushing Monk (see? can't get away from Founders :stuck_out_tongue:). The age has not improved it exactly, and the raspberries have faded a touch, but it's still very tasty.

[​IMG]

27. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (1,671) Apr 6, 2010 Texas
    Supporter Beer Trader

#2, this is world-class, IMHO. I literally begged Little O to drink this when he visited this week, but he wouldn't bite. I have beer-spoiled that young man.

[​IMG]

28. DoctorZombies

Beer Trader

Jai Alai #2 with Diego a/k/a "Mr. D" on the balcony:

The sun is setting and the westerly blows warm...nice...

29. mickyge

mickyge Devotee (484) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts

cherish these days, good luck to Mr's Z and you, Cheers

mikeinportc, VABA and DoctorZombies like this.
  30. aoampm

aoampm Champion (812) Apr 26, 2014 Hawaii
    Beer Trader

Happy Saturday beer brew! Started my day off struggling through an hour long run and then went into the store with a hankering for some Swamis ( @Lingenbrau ) but couldn't find any freshies. Luckily stumbled upon some Modern Times that was canned a couple weeks ago. Tasting nice for sure!
    [​IMG]

31. KZooJK

KZooJK Disciple (308) Feb 13, 2016 Michigan
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Gregg joins the reunion tour
    RIP
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

32. DoctorZombies

Beer Trader

Thanks!

VABA likes this.
  33. russpowell

Beer Trader

Must re-watch it & blow through the slow parts to see if I just missed something. Maybe it was just too hyped/built up before I saw it?

Greywulfken and VABA like this.
  34. mschrei

mschrei Meyvn (1,403) Jul 4, 2014 Illinois
    Subscriber Beer Trader

One I brought to share. As a note, the Mikerphone from before was brought by the future brother in law.
    [​IMG]

35. Lingenbrau

Beer Trader

Keeping it on the lighter side for now. Palate fatigue me thinks. Cheers!

[​IMG]

36. Lingenbrau

Beer Trader

A damn fine substitution. One of the best Citra IPA's in my opinion. Cheers!

DoctorZombies and aoampm like this.
  37. RedhawkPoke

RedhawkPoke Aspirant (266) Jan 30, 2017 Oklahoma
    Beer Trader

38. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (9,701) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Supporter Beer Trader

Even photobucket has problems, I can't even count the number of times I see this image every damn week:

[​IMG]

I've been using Flickr for over 5 years, and all of my pics are still visible on the forums for years. I pay for Pro, but it's totally worth the unlimited storage. I have almost 6000 photos at this point of just adult beverages.

tolar111, MacMalt, Roguer and 5 others like this.
  39. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Zealot (540) Nov 4, 2015 New York

Saw that a few weeks ago, while looking up some info. (& wishing I could go. :flushed::grinning:)

FBarber and VABA like this.
  40. malfunxion

malfunxion Savant (958) Dec 14, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]
    Holy Rustin Metal this is the mother of all mosaic bombz , they short me a few ounces in these cans every time but this time I'm not even mad it's just so freaking juicy and Poppin I can't get enough!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.