What beer are you drinking now? #1701

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SawDog505, Jun 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (6,771) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] Always one of my favorite starters. All you other Dads have a wonderful Fathers Day Weekend. Heading to Maine for much needed beach therapy. Cheers all!

2. The_Kriek_Freak

The_Kriek_Freak Poo-Bah (2,482) Aug 18, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Stone Mocha IPA. This is such a complex and fun beer. Gotta love it even if you're not into coffee.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. skleice

skleice Disciple (301) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Morning "coffee" with a delicious Neil's donut. If you're ever in CT, go getcha some!

[​IMG]

4. Highbrow

Highbrow Devotee (460) Jan 7, 2011 California
    Trader

good morning, BA. cheers to dads! enjoying a High West Ified before the heat kicks in.

[​IMG]

was off the last couple of days & planned to post yesterday A.M. but logged in & the site seemed to be in a hostage situation. :slight_smile: glad to see it straightened out now. Thursday we made it out to the local team's victory parade to congratulate the Champs who passed by surprisingly close. managed to get a few good shots in:

[​IMG]

and of course to keep it beer related -- this dude came smashing down Broadway with the back door up. not sure if he was delivering to some portions of the events or what but he was the only non police vehicle on the streets, inside the parade perimeter.

[​IMG]

5. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (25,465) May 5, 2010 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Good morning BA, have a great Saturday! Looking to be a stormy day today. I plan on relaxing for most of it, and also doing a bit of cleaning around the apartment. New beer hunting isn't necessary this time, but probably will be next weekend. My 5500th review is coming up next week.

Revisiting this review after 5 years. 2016 vintage. Fantastic! Awesome head retention and thick lacing on the glass. Flavors of big caramel, brown sugar, toffee, molasses, vanilla, bourbon, toasted oak, coconut, brown bread, raisin, plum, fig, cherry, and date; with lighter notes of chocolate, leather, tobacco, smoke, and herbal hops. Light herbal bitterness and bourbon/oak spiciness against sweetness on the finish. Creamy/silky medium-full body mouthfeel. Lightly sticky, chalky, and oak tannins. Lightly increasing dryness. Very smooth, minimal warming ABV, no barrel booze. Amazing barrel balance and integration. Funny how much opinions change over time. My score dropped a significant amount, but so did KBS a couple months ago. Both will be always be favorites for me. Not sure if an older vintage would have made a difference. 4.33
    [​IMG]

Incredible! Flavors of big tangerine, grapefruit, pineapple, peach, apricot, papaya, mango, lemon zest, orange peel, light pepper, and pine hops; with moderate toasted bread, light caramel malt balance; and herbal, floral, grassy hop earthiness. Moderate pine/citrus peel/grassy/spicy bitterness on the finish. Medium bodied; balanced bready/grainy malt and sticky hops in the mouthfeel. Light resins and increasing bitter dryness, zero hop astringency. Extremely drinkable. Bright, dank, and juicy hops; nice malt backing with minimal residual sweetness. This is nearly identical to my revisit review of the regular last fall(same score). This is a bit more fruity/tropical; and much less resinous, rindy, bitter, and drying. More balanced, but still super hoppy. Can't say I prefer one over the other as long as it's fresh.
    [​IMG]

This is absolutely insane! Flavors of huge raisin, plum, prune, fig, date, cherry, caramel, toffee, brown sugar, brown bread, coconut, butterscotch, molasses, vanilla, bourbon, and toasted oak; with light chocolate, leather, and tobacco. Light herbal bitterness and bourbon/oak spiciness on the finish. Full bodied creamy, silky, slick mouthfeel. Minimal dryness. No cloying sweetness. Super smooth sipper; zero barrel booze. One of the best English barleywines I've ever had. The barrel integration is flat out perfect. Need to grab these more often when I see them down in Ohio, as with any of their BBA beers.
    [​IMG]

2017 is absolutely amazing. Flavors of huge milk/dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, coconut, vanilla, bourbon, toffee, toasted oak, tobacco, and charred grain; with some light raisin, cherry, plum, fig, date fruit notes. Light-moderate roast/char bitterness and bourbon/oak spice on the finish. Full bodied creamy/silky/slick mouthfeel; with some balancing sticky/chalky roast and tannic barrel notes. Increasingly drying finish from bourbon/oak tannins. Mildly warming 14.5%, no barrel booze. Pretty much a perfect balance between bourbon and imperial stout flavors. This is less barrel heavy than I recall previous batches. Much richer and malty; while still retaining a ton of barrel character without going overboard. Will seek out more through my usual sources.
    [​IMG]

Cheers

6. GrumpyGas

GrumpyGas Poo-Bah (2,437) Apr 7, 2009 Illinois
    Society Trader

I thought I'd join the cult.
    [​IMG]
    I hadn't yet been introduced to the baby, but when I saw a 4-pack at the Jewels for $5 I couldn't just leave him there.

7. JouerAvecLeFeu

JouerAvecLeFeu Champion (800) Apr 17, 2015 Washington
    Trader

[​IMG]

The Ale Apothecary • 2014 El Cuatro - wild ale aged in brandy and whiskey barrels

8. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

[​IMG]
    I have 3 new beers this weekend, two singles and a sixer I'll save for NBS?
    This is a local amber ale, 35 miles down the road.

9. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (6,082) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Blaze of glory??

I think I'll join you:
    [​IMG]

Little storm last night, but nothing like what @The-Adjunct-Hippie went through. The GF was sharing photos from friends, lots of tree cleanup to do.

Back to beer, I have learned there are two beers I don't have to buy next release, this Sumatra Brown and DFH Olde School BW. I don't hate this beer, by any means, but I can easily live without it. OSBW, I am actually on the not enjoying side.

Don't go too crazy and save at least one or two for tomorrow :wink:

10. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (5,716) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Rise and shine! A busy Saturday awaits starting with a rare (for me) breakfast beer.

11. Str8fromtheGrnMtns

Str8fromtheGrnMtns Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2014 Vermont

shaping up to be a great day, starting with some pilsner from von Trapp.
    [​IMG]

cheers all!

12. RonaldTheriot

RonaldTheriot Poo-Bah (4,092) Aug 11, 2008 Louisiana
    Society

That's a good beer!

Chipotle, vabeerguy and skleice like this.
  13. RonaldTheriot

RonaldTheriot Poo-Bah (4,092) Aug 11, 2008 Louisiana
    Society

[​IMG]
    5.4% vs. 5.4%! Germany vs. America!

mickyge, Samldc, larryi86 and 49 others like this.
  14. cjgiant

Society

lol - strong analogy, though I must say I was a bit surprised we didn't reach page 8,263 on WBAYDN yesterday given the activity I was witnessing.

:grinning:

Let us know who wins :rolling_eyes:

15. Bluecrow

Bluecrow Poo-Bah (2,068) Jul 16, 2012 New York
    Society

-This is good, but I would really like to be enjoying this on the SRB patio in Jackson!
    [​IMG]

16. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (2,081) Jul 2, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Maybe my favorite hefe ever. Dimpled mug thrift find is pretty sweet. [​IMG]
    Jammer every single year now since it's release. Still a favorite.

Cheers.

17. cbcrunch

cbcrunch Poo-Bah (2,345) Jan 21, 2012 Wyoming
    Society

We're heading to Jackson next month.
    Melvin and Snake River are both favorite breweries.
    Cheers.

VABA, MFMB, Bitterbill and 1 other person like this.
  18. skleice

Yeah man, trying to get my last hoorah in. Had a lobster roll last night, donuts for breakfast, and many beers throughout. Might need a big bacon egg & cheese on a bagel tomorrow!

Btip1969, EMH73, TheIPAHunter and 9 others like this.
  19. TomDRaleigh

TomDRaleigh Initiate (104) Feb 8, 2016 North Carolina

Beer

Starting the morning off with a little coffee, in the way of Marshal Zhukov Penultimate Push Bourbon Barrel Aged!

20. Beer-Panda

Beer-Panda Defender (655) Mar 27, 2016 Netherlands

Mort Subite Gueuze Lambic.
    Cheers!

[​IMG]

larryi86, foundersasap, VABA and 41 others like this.
  21. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (7,253) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

Good morning, BAs! Finally getting to my first of the weekend.

[​IMG]

Cheers!

22. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (7,253) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

I just revisited Backwoods Bastard myself after quite a break. I know it wouldn't do that beer justice after a day of crushing hops, so I usually find myself passing. This one was a 2014 vintage, and I was very pleasantly surprised how well it held up - and how much bourbon was still very much present!

Shroud0fdoom, Reef, thebeers and 5 others like this.
  23. zacky_U

zacky_U Initiate (0) May 22, 2013 Michigan

24. Bluecrow

Society

This SN-Boneyard DIPA is just right after a vigorous early AM workout-and run.
    [​IMG]

25. Bluecrow

Society

I'm sure you will enjoy the trip. Your Melvin posts have put it on my "need to visit" list. I hope to move somewhere west of Denver in a few years. Such trips will be easier then.

VABA and cbcrunch like this.
  26. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (6,228) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

27. cbcrunch

cbcrunch Poo-Bah (2,345) Jan 21, 2012 Wyoming
    Society

Good Morning!
    and Happy Father's Day!

[​IMG]

28. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Meyvn (1,213) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Hey Saturday BA's

Another 90+ degree hot and sunny day.....going to go Hobie Catting and swimming off the boat after lunch....perfect day for it!

Nice new GLBC brew....still scratching my head why they put up the 3 new canned brews only in 12 packs? Pretty strange...prefer a sixer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cheers all - stay hydrated out there!

29. TheHopsman

TheHopsman Defender (664) Apr 7, 2015 Nebraska
    Trader

[​IMG]
    Can't put my glass down, sooooo good!

30. cjgiant

Society

Coffee out of the way, now juice (he said for the 4th or 5th time on this thread of threads):
    [​IMG]

Really tart after the last beer - once I settle into it, I love the smell and while it could be the knowledge of the wine grape, I get it in the taste as well. There's a few bottles left in some shops around here, might need to grab another.

31. dee4maine

dee4maine Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2015 Maine

Happy Father's Day weekend friends!
    I am getting in some juice in me.
    At 5/3/17 canning date, this is still very very good. I'd say that the pillowy mouthfeel is slightly reduced. Just so slightly.
    Respect for Nate Lanier and the other TH crew!
    Cheers!
    [​IMG]

32. Eddiehop

Eddiehop Defender (649) Jun 28, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Bike ride and grocery shopping done. Now it's time to chill out!

[​IMG]

33. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Poo-Bah (1,674) Jul 27, 2013 Texas
    Society Trader

My first spin with #006. Pretty tasty

[​IMG]

34. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,297) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

[​IMG]

Top of the morning to you all!
    I am sipping on this beauty, canned June 6th. It sure gets the old juices flowing.
    Shoot, it's starting to rain again. Weird Spring we're having. :slight_frown:
    Prost!

35. Beernut9230

Beernut9230 Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2016 New York
    Deactivated

Goodmorning BA and thank god its saturday man
    [​IMG]

My life has changed Every since grimm started double dry hopping cheers

36. Str8fromtheGrnMtns

Str8fromtheGrnMtns Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2014 Vermont

lagers go down so easy, especially when it's warm out. next is some summerfest!
    [​IMG]

cheers!

37. skleice

38. mpmcguire11

mpmcguire11 Aspirant (254) Sep 6, 2014 Rhode Island

39. wally_world

wally_world Initiate (177) Nov 27, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Rain in the forecast here in Chicagoland. My wife and I are heading to a new brewery opening today and she suggested a beer to get things rolling!

[​IMG]

Great DIPA with Citra, Mosaic, and Nelson Sauvin hops. Little less juicy than other offerings, but really crisp.

Cheers, BAs!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.