Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

What beer are you drinking now? #1851

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Shanex, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (9,234) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Supporter Beer Trader

Great Kolsch-style again this year. One of my favorite American made examples. Flavors of cracker, biscuit, and light honey malts; with herbal, straw, grassy, light peppery noble hops; and restrained lemon, pear, apple yeast fruitiness. Light-moderate herbal/grassy/spicy bitterness. Medium carbonation/body; bready/grainy malt and lightly sticky hop mouthfeel. Smooth/crisp/drying finish. Still refreshing for being much higher than the classic style ABV @6.7%. Will grab again, just got a single.
    [​IMG]

This is awesome. Flavors of big juicy/lightly tart blueberries, milk/dark chocolate, cocoa, caramel, toffee, vanilla, coffee, and dark bread; with lighter notes of bourbon, toasted oak, and smoke. Light roasted bitterness and fruit tartness on the finish. Slight bourbon/oak spiciness. Great bittersweet balanced finish. Medium-plus bodied creamy/silky mouthfeel; light chalky roast, fruit acidity, and oak tannins. Touch of bitter roast/tart fruit dryness. Insanely smooth. Great balance of fruit and stout; barrel isn't huge, but you get nice pleasing amounts of barrel complexities, without any booze. I grabbed well over 3 packs worth as singles/full packs this year. Same with the BBA Toonilla. Traded out a few.
    [​IMG]

Insane as always, 2016 batch. Flavors of huge nutty medium roasted coffee, milk/dark chocolate, cocoa, caramel, toasted oats, dark bread, molasses, and light smoke/char; with some mild herbal/piney hops. Incredible bittersweet balanced finish between roast/hop notes. Medium-full body; amazingly creamy/silky and slightly sticky/chalky balanced mouthfeel. Slightly increasing bitter/roasted dryness. Mellowed out amazingly after 14 months. I prefer this aged so the hop presence is dialed back. Balance between malt, coffee, and bitter hops is perfect. Much silkier on mouthfeel. Down to my last pack from last year(I think). I love this just as much as Sumatra Mountain Brown. Equally impressive on the level of coffee and malt complexity. Still well stocked on those. Will grab this year's FBS batch to check out soon enough.
    [​IMG]

Awesome coffee DIPA. Looks paler in color than last year. Flavors of grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, lemon zest, orange peel, and pine hops; with balanced medium roast coffee, cocoa, and vanilla; caramel, toasted bread malt; and floral/grassy hop earthiness. Moderate pine/citrus peel and light roasted coffee bitterness on the finish. Medium-plus bodied; balanced sticky/resins and creaminess in the mouthfeel; touch of chalkiness from cocoa/coffee. Increasing resin/rind dryness, no hop astringency. Very drinkable, minimal warming ABV. Pretty much perfectly balanced between cocoa/coffee and citrus/pine hop flavors; not overly sweet/malty. Got one more left in my 3rd 6 pack of the year to finish off. Will move onto Xocoveza more often soon. I got 2 packs so far, but will need at least 1 more of those.
    [​IMG]

Cheers

#241 superspak, Nov 15, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  2. RedhawkPoke

RedhawkPoke Aspirant (232) Jan 30, 2017 Oklahoma
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]

Watching KU basketball

3. wes008

wes008 Initiate (125) Mar 1, 2017 Ohio
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]
    First time tasting a Bell's Expedition Stout. Great beverage for how easy it is to get! Lots of chocolate malt and roasted nut flavors with a thick body and a solid ABV.

Great beer, great tune

4. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Meyvn (1,073) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Supporter Beer Trader

[​IMG]

My first 2017 of the year!

5. Zaphog

Zaphog Poo-Bah (2,106) Sep 23, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]
    Can't get enough of this stuff this year!

6. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (3,549) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

^Ccccccombo breaker!

wes008 and LeperJim like this.
  7. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Poo-Bah (2,116) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Makes sense. I've been planning my Triple A baseball championship 36 year reunion since 1994. You never can be too prepared. 2030 is right around the corner after all.

russpowell likes this.
  8. MattyG85

MattyG85 Poo-Bah (3,099) Aug 31, 2010 Minnesota
    Subscriber

9. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Poo-Bah (2,116) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Only three!? What the hell man, hot date?

MattyG85, jvgoor3786 and aoampm like this.
  10. PorterPro125

PorterPro125 Champion (873) Jan 19, 2013 New Brunswick (Canada)
    Subscriber

Any Star Trek fans out there? Here is Garrison Brewing Co's (Halifax, Nova Scotia) Borg Ale!
    [​IMG]
    Here is a beer that was brewed in association with the Federation of Beer, which was created to "unite both Star Trek and Craft Beer fans". I'm not typically one who seeks out Black Ale's, but I thought this one looked interesting, so I grabbed it to give it a try. Now, it definitely isn't the most riveting beer i've ever tasted, but it is pretty good. I haven't had many Black Ale's but this brew was a nice combination of caramel and roasted malt flavours. Not much in the way of hop presence but it was fairly well balanced. Cheers!

jkblr, bret717, Rootscipio and 11 others like this.
  11. LongTaco15

LongTaco15 Aspirant (203) Feb 4, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Have to agree with @superspak the 16 baby is drinking real good right now.

12. bobv

bobv Poo-Bah (1,517) Feb 3, 2009 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Damn tasty!

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30654/306643/

[​IMG]

4.23/5 rDev -1.4%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Moderate pour yields a one inch white head over medium to deep golden body with some lacing. Head is down to a ring in a few minutes. Nose of tropical fruit, orange, lime, candied orange, and candied lime. Taste mirrors nose with a nice tropical citrus pith bitterness that is not too obtrusive and rather pleasant. Nice feel and overall one of my faves from Trillium. Cheers to Mike H. for the hook up!

LeperJim, wes008, EMH73 and 15 others like this.
  13. vabeerguy

vabeerguy Meyvn (1,361) Sep 21, 2015 Virginia
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

My wife is making me drinking wine. Lots of wine. Peace brothers..

14. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (1,673) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

This is pretty incredible. Triple the amount of oats, lactose, fruit (passionfruit purée), and dry hops in this 10.7% abv Triple IPA. Thanks @CharacterZero. Cheers!

[​IMG]

15. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (5,128) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Tasty brew.

Raspberry Provincial | Funkwerks

Cheers!
    [​IMG]

16. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (7,686) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

Urban Chestnut Xayer Wheat Ale, watching the Long Road Home next. There was okay twist on this AHC, but scant pay-off for all the suffering up to this point.

17. aoampm

aoampm Champion (812) Apr 26, 2014 Hawaii
    Beer Trader

18. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (4,518) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber

2012 DFH Olde School. Long day at work, enjoying this one.
    [​IMG]

19. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Zealot (512) Dec 12, 2014 California

New Belgium - Dayblazer

[​IMG]

Cheers

20. bret717

bret717 Zealot (556) Dec 8, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Finally back in PA after driving 9 hours from VT and digging into the first from my haul-

[​IMG]

VABA, LeperJim, Lingenbrau and 22 others like this.
  21. nc41

nc41 Meyvn (1,480) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Eclipse Evan Williams Barrel 2012. Heavy bourbon, smooth as hell, sane Abv. Love their beers , hate the price.
    [​IMG]

22. nc41

nc41 Meyvn (1,480) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Gotta make that run, so worth it.

bret717 likes this.
  23. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (7,686) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

Heading to the hot tub with a Deschutes Hop Trip. LNBA 4lyfe!

24. scream

scream Devotee (422) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

Too many rush whatever special day it is, get their shit out into the stores 2-3 months ahead of time etc. However, at least he did not say Happy Holidays trying to be politically correct !

russpowell, HoppingMadMonk and EMH73 like this.
  25. scream

scream Devotee (422) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

A wee bit of Arabicadara before hitting the sack-cheers !

26. bret717

bret717 Zealot (556) Dec 8, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Fiddlehead Second Fiddle up next-

[​IMG]

27. ivorycannon

ivorycannon Devotee (489) Feb 21, 2013 Indiana

18th Street: Rise of the Angels.

28. Rootscipio

Rootscipio Defender (601) Jun 13, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

La Cumbre: Elevated
    [​IMG]

My last Elevated :slight_frown: until somebody goes to New Mexico.

[​IMG]

29. Premo88

Premo88 Meyvn (1,438) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Subscriber

Ha! I reminded myself. I've been listening to their instrumental albums as background music for months but needed to dive back into the real thing.

Man, I could use a beer. "Monday" on the late shift suuuuuuuuuuuuucks........

ivorycannon likes this.
  30. muchloveforhops3

muchloveforhops3 Zealot (567) Apr 5, 2009 Oregon

Gettin into some Magnanimous tonight..

Cheers BAs!

31. ivorycannon

ivorycannon Devotee (489) Feb 21, 2013 Indiana

My Monday night starts Thursday. Midnight's kinda blow!
    Cheers!

jkblr and Premo88 like this.
  32. bobv

bobv Poo-Bah (1,517) Feb 3, 2009 Vermont
    Beer Trader

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/46703/312152/

[​IMG]

4.21/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Moderate to vigorous pour yields a 3/4 inch tan head over a dark brown body with some lacing. Nose of dark chocolate, oak, and some coffee. Taste of chocolate, coffee, caramel, vanilla, oak, and whiskey. Nice feel and overall, a fine offering from the boys of Hyde Park. Cheers!

Lingenbrau, LeperJim, EMH73 and 6 others like this.
  33. mschrei

mschrei Meyvn (1,361) Jul 4, 2014 Illinois
    Subscriber Beer Trader

34. SoleBriety

SoleBriety Devotee (468) Oct 10, 2013 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

After year, still delicious! Cheers BA!

[​IMG]

35. Rootscipio

Rootscipio Defender (601) Jun 13, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

36. mschrei

Subscriber Beer Trader

Keeping it fresh hop.
    [​IMG]

Lingenbrau, aoampm, LeperJim and 10 others like this.
  37. mschrei

Subscriber Beer Trader

Doing a fresh hop tour tonight, this is stop number three (and most likely the last) for the night. Definitely different than the others. Not sure if because it was bottled 9/20 that it may have fallen off a bit. Still very enjoyable, and I'll probably buy two four packs of it next year too. I'll do another fresh hop tour tomorrow night. Need something to come down from the 2 to 11 shift.
    [​IMG]

Lingenbrau, aoampm, LeperJim and 9 others like this.
  38. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (2,199) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Beer Trader

They are both great! If you can get over to the brewpub on Hwy 17 in Avondale neighborhood, you can sit and enjoy a glass or two. Cheers!

Reef likes this.
  39. mschrei

Subscriber Beer Trader

I'll probably regret this one in the morning, but I'll remind myself that at least regret is an emotion one feels when alive.
    [​IMG]
    Talking to a friend about this song tonight

40. bowzer4birdie

bowzer4birdie Meyvn (1,351) Aug 16, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Thanks man! hope to be on the Wed thread, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.