What beer are you drinking now? #1863

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by superspak, Nov 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,115) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

I thought these beers were dead. :slight_smile:

vabeerguy likes this.
  2. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (21,923) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Society Trader

NBS X-Post!

Had a nice family visit weekend as usual, and a little too much crappy food lol. Glad to be back on my normal routine again. Made a massive haul in Ohio of all new beers, so I will be set for well past 6100 with what I got. 2 Cases of 12 ounce singles, and 1 case of Bomber/750ml. Lots of sours in the large format, was not cheap in the slightest lol. Got back home around 2 and got unpacked and took my bottle returns back, they were piled up from this weekends cellar clearance enjoyment. Also finished up the laundry to get me through the week. I missed last week, but it didn't get too overloaded.

New Beers:

This was okay. Fantastic head retention and lasting thick soapy lacing down the glass. Crystal clarity. Aromas and flavors of cracker, white bread dough, biscuit, and mild herbal/grassy hops. Some pear/apple yeast fruits in the aromas, but not too overwhelming. Minimal herbal/grassy hop bitterness on the finish. Fairly crisp/clean finishing. Medium carbonation and light body; bready/grainy malt and light hop stickiness in the mouthfeel. Lightly increasing bitter dryness. Refreshing/flavorful for 5%, never watery feeling. Fairly clean on lager flavors; mildly fruity/yeasty. This grew on me through the glass. An enjoyable Euro pale lager. Fairly clean pils malt flavors, with just enough hop balance. A bit too fruity/yeasty aromas, but not awful. 3.34
    [​IMG]

Excellent session IPA! Great head retention and lasting lacing on the glass. A bit cloudy. Aromas and flavors of big tangerine, grapefruit, lemon, lime, peach, pear, pineapple, papaya, melon, berry, citrus zest, pepper, and pine hops; with moderate cracker, biscuit, white bready malts; and herbal, floral, grassy hop earthiness. Light-moderate pine, citrus peel, grassy, spicy bitterness on the finish. Medium carbonation/body. Balanced bready/grainy malts and sticky hops in the mouthfeel. Slight resins/rinds, increasing bitter dryness, zero hop astringency. Extremely flavorful/refreshing for 4.9%. I loved this. Got a pretty unique hop profile with the Loral/Equinox, along with Columbus/Simcoe; but it strikes a great balance between citrus/fruity/earthy notes. Outstanding body/mouthfeel for the ABV, never watery. Would definitely buy again. Nicely juicy, vibrant, and light dank hops profile; great balancing bready malt backbone. One of the better session IPAs I have had. Really well made. 4.05
    [​IMG]

BA Imperial Coffee Milkshake. This was awesome as expected. Aromas and flavors of big milk chocolate, cocoa, nutty dark roast coffee, caramel, vanilla, cream, toffee, and toasted dark bread; with lighter notes of coconut, bourbon, oak, dark fruit, smoke, and herbal hops. Very mild herbal/roast bitterness on the finish. Light-medium carbonation and medium-plus body; nice creamy, silky, bready malt mouthfeel. Minimal chalky roast, oak tannins, or dryness. No cloying sweetness. A touch thinner than expected, but not bad. Very easy drinking, minimal warming 8.5%. Not as much barrel as I hoped for, but solid. Basically like a richer Woodward Bold coffee Milkshake. Same coffee company, different blend of coffee. Loved it equally as much as that one. Great fruity/nutty coffee complexity and base beer balance. 4.1
    [​IMG]

Excellent DIPA! Fantastic lasting head retention and thick soapy lacing on the glass. Fairly crystal clear. Aromas and flavors of big peach, pineapple, apricot, passionfruit, papaya, mango, melon, tangerine, grapefruit, lemon zest, orange peel, and light pepper/pine hops; with moderate honey, biscuit, light caramel malts; and herbal, floral, grassy hop earthiness. Light-moderate pine, citrus peel, grassy, spicy bitterness on the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full body; very creamy/bready/grainy malt mouthfeel, with a fair amount of sticky hops. Lightly increasing bitter dryness. Very slight resins, no hop astringency. This is definitely on the malty side of DIPAs as with Maharajah, but its not overly sweet/heavy feeling for 9.7%. Mildly increasing ABV warmth. Dangerously easy drinking. Super juicy fruity/tropical hop complexity, balanced malt backbone. Unique hop character with Idaho 7, Simcoe, Vic Secret, and Columbus. Not that strong on the Columbus or Simcoe character overall. 4.03
    [​IMG]

Cheers!

VABA, Chipotle, aoampm and 21 others like this.
  3. vabeerguy

vabeerguy Poo-Bah (2,723) Sep 21, 2015 Virginia
    Society Trader

Been harrassing @denver10 about stouts. He gave me some really good recommendations. This stout (Hornswoggler), brewed by Veil, kind of reminds me of the some of the stouts he recommended that I have had in the not too distant past. Dude, if you ever get to Richmond, VA let me know. We got a hell of a good beer scene.
    [​IMG]

Prager62, Chipotle, aoampm and 18 others like this.
  4. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,143) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Just picked this up earlier today. Can't wait to try it. Haven't had a Clown Shoes stout in way too long.

Great fucking song. Saw them open for Metallica back in May (along with Volbeat). My friend who is not a metal fan came to the show and told me I was rocking out harder during the opening act. Really need to see them headline.

vabeerguy and russpowell like this.
  5. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Champion (888) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia
    Society Trader

One more and its a good one.

[​IMG]

VABA, Prager62, Chipotle and 20 others like this.
  6. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,143) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Phenomal brew. I was blown away by the amount of tropical and citrus fruit hop notes in this beer, followed by a classic biscuity malt lager finish. Really top notch stuff.

7. goingbrokeonbeer

goingbrokeonbeer Poo-Bah (1,583) Dec 4, 2013 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Another and probably the last, maybe.:rolling_eyes:
    [​IMG]
    CORNELL! So great! RIP Chris!

Chipotle, aoampm, Psilo and 20 others like this.
  8. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,115) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Eeek... more than I usually do on a Sunday, but EFF IT. Didn't have to grade today, and that part of the gig starts tomorrow for several days straight (don't ask). So, a new one today for me is this delightfully balanced sweet-sticky-dank-peach Pipeworks Grungeist Imperial IPA. Damn. So good my wife even liked it! [She's not a giant IPA fan]. Wish I'd bought more than the two bombers I have. Slipping the second one far back in the fridge so I don't hit that 2nd one tonight. Cheers!
    [​IMG]
    (a deep cut by Montrose!)

Prager62, Chipotle, aoampm and 20 others like this.
  9. Ocalafox

Ocalafox Savant (959) May 17, 2016 Florida
    Society

Chow time, my last Crusher from the October trip. Next time Crusher shares shopping cart time with Focal and Heady, 4-4-4 if that's what's available. Cheers, and here's to a drama-free Monday!
    [​IMG]

10. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (9,783) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Saw a really good show they did on Palladia or VH1 Classic a few years back. Now all they play is garbage on those channels for the most part...

11. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,763) Dec 1, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Sticky fingers, an excellent IIPA from Burgeon brewing:

[​IMG]

Chipotle, aoampm, Psilo and 15 others like this.
  12. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (2,519) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

Trillium's newest DDH IPA for now, DDH Farnsworth Street featuring Vic Secret hops. Really liking this one now 2 weeks out. Great hoppy juice per usual. Cheers!

[​IMG]

Prager62, Chipotle, aoampm and 19 others like this.
  13. vabeerguy

Society Trader

You have hair?

scream likes this.
  14. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,190) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society

Great plain old average beer here, truly overlooked Imo. Cheers

Prager62, Chipotle, aoampm and 21 others like this.
  15. SLewis

SLewis Aspirant (255) Jun 17, 2014 North Carolina

First time I've picked up the Sam Adams Winter pack, after a few years skipping it due to lackluster selection.

The Oatmeal Stout is pretty solid, looking forward to the Old Fezziwig later.
    [​IMG]

16. vabeerguy

Society Trader

I miss Trillium. Used to get some from @TheIPAHunter when he was among the living. A great brewery with some very good beers.

17. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Aspirant (294) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

18. alexanderplatz

alexanderplatz Aspirant (257) Jul 5, 2015 Kentucky

New to me, I like it a lot. Reviewed in the NBS thread. Short version = Thumbs up.

19. vabeerguy

Society Trader

I guess they qualify as zombie beers. Black IPAs are not my favorite beer style. Love stouts. Love IPAs. But somehow the mix is not quite what my feeble brain wants.

mickyge likes this.
  20. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,324) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Night cap a dram or so of Bushmills.

[​IMG]

Chipotle, aoampm, EMH73 and 12 others like this.
  21. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,877) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

22. MjBrewhouse

MjBrewhouse Defender (601) Mar 25, 2014 Idaho
    Society Trader

Getting started with this beauty
    [​IMG]

Prager62, Chipotle, scream and 23 others like this.
  23. nc41

Society Trader

Btw these giant ice balls are really the shit, they cool but don't dilute much.

scream and russpowell like this.
  24. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (1,761) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Cross-posting my first Lost Abbey from NBS #666. Incredible beer.

Chipotle, aoampm, Psilo and 16 others like this.
  25. Ocalafox

Ocalafox Savant (959) May 17, 2016 Florida
    Society

Just a bit but I try not to post pics of myself...
    [​IMG]

larryi86 and russpowell like this.
  26. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (9,783) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Lost Forty Snake Party DIPA. I will check in on this Sunday night game a little. I only need 7 more TDs from Big Ben to make my FF game respectable this week. Otherwise, time to cheer myself up with some Walking Dead...

Chipotle, aoampm, jkblr and 8 others like this.
  27. Fracwilt

Fracwilt Initiate (92) Nov 23, 2016 South Carolina

28. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,317) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

Wearing TH shirt as i type this. EVIL NEVER DIES

T-RO and Greywulfken like this.
  29. Zaphog

Zaphog Poo-Bah (2,631) Sep 23, 2011 Michigan
    Society Trader

Short's Cup A Joe
    [​IMG]

30. vabeerguy

Society Trader

Bought a six pack and have been happy. For some reason, I thought last year was better. Probably the same brew and just my dying taste buds accounting for the difference.
    [​IMG]

31. mickyge

mickyge Meyvn (1,021) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

good things happen when my wife drinks wine:stuck_out_tongue:

VABA, jkblr, nc41 and 2 others like this.
  32. MjBrewhouse

MjBrewhouse Defender (601) Mar 25, 2014 Idaho
    Society Trader

Moving on to this
    [​IMG]
    Pretty tasty beer right here
    This song right here is something to behold

33. vabeerguy

Society Trader

Concur but wait another 30 years then get back to me.

34. RobDB

RobDB Devotee (445) Aug 31, 2009 New Jersey

First time with this one. Super juicy. Nice hazy pale ale.

[​IMG]

tolar111, Chipotle, aoampm and 14 others like this.
  35. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (3,797) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Night cap Sexy Machismo aged in Apple Brandy barrels and on cinnamon bark, thanks @Dragginballs76, cheers!
    [​IMG]

VABA, Prager62, tolar111 and 15 others like this.
  36. vabeerguy

Society Trader

Love the song. Were you even born then not that it makes a difference.

Change of subject. How is weight training going in your humble abode?

russpowell and jvgoor3786 like this.
  37. mickyge

mickyge Meyvn (1,021) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I hope to be around and active 30 years from now, that will make me 90ish, Cheers

VABA and vabeerguy like this.
  38. nc41

Society Trader

Saw him in concert back in the day 1980 or so. Valley Forge was the business back then, saw him, Rickles, Rodney, Johnny Cash, great place.

jvgoor3786 likes this.
  39. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (1,761) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

I took last week off as I was on vacation. Anxious to get back at it tomorrow.

That sounds incredible. My dog's name is Johnny Cash. I'd love to see Willie Nelson too.

vabeerguy and nc41 like this.
  40. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Poo-Bah (2,583) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

Just wrapped up decorating the house for Christmas. Been a long week of getting uaed to the new position, and even longer getting used to working overnights.
    My favorite brew to go with putting lights on the tree? Juicy Tree IPA with spruce, juniper berries, and cranberries.

[​IMG]

Prager62, tolar111, Chipotle and 13 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.