What beer are you drinking now? #1891

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by superspak, Dec 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Electros

Electros Poo-Bah (2,521) Feb 20, 2007 Canada (ON)
    Moderator Society Trader

Christmas in Canada, Founders CBS!!!

2. bobv

bobv Poo-Bah (4,283) Feb 3, 2009 Vermont
    Society Trader

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10607/309274/

[​IMG]

4.21/5 rDev +0.7%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Moderate to vigorous pour yields a 1 and a 1/2 inch tan head over a very dark brown body with some lacing. Nose of roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, and an ever-present whiskey aroma. Taste follows nose very nicely with the bourbon not quite as apparent on the palate as the nose. Nice feel and overall, a very nice BBA Porter. Cheers to the other boys of Brooklyn for a job well done!

3. JackRWatkins

JackRWatkins Crusader (733) Nov 3, 2014 Georgia
    Trader

Comparative Bomb review!

4. Strike00

Strike00 Aspirant (254) Dec 24, 2014 Iowa

Merry Christmas everybody.
    [​IMG]

5. JackRWatkins

Trader

God is good, that's at least part of the reason why St. Bernardus Christmas Ale exists, I'm so glad/proud to see that St. Bernardus is not forgotten, such great shit, such classic beer, Cheers! Prost! and A Votre Sante!

mikeinportc and Strike00 like this.
  6. beergorrilla

beergorrilla Meyvn (1,436) Feb 21, 2012 Michigan
    Trader

7. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (25,406) May 5, 2010 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Different flavored Molotov Cocktails as a series. This is the Grapefruit version as stated on the bottom, batch #001. Assuming other fruits will follow. Fantastic! Aromas and flavors of huge ruby red grapefruit, tangerine, peach, pineapple, apricot, mango, melon, lemon zest, orange peel, citrus rind, pepper, and pine hops; with moderate honey, toasted bread, light caramel malts; and herbal, floral, grassy earthiness. Touch of booze in the aromas, but not overwhelming. Moderate pine, citrus rind, grassy, spicy bitterness on the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full body. Balanced creamy/bready malts and sticky/resinous/rindy hops/fruit in the mouthfeel. Touch of slickness. Moderate increasing bitter resin/rind dryness, minimal hop astringency. Mildly warming 12%, no booze. Aggressive, yet smooth sipping. This is really similar to the base beer, but you get more of a juicy ruby red grapefruit vibe going on. I'd be hard pressed to recognize the difference blindly. Love it as much as the base beer. Looking forward to the next batch. Hope it will be something that is not a hop quality of the base beer, and is actually unique. Just finished off the 4 pack.
    [​IMG]

World class as usual. This is my top favorite RIS of all time. Glad they came back to Mi this year. Insane head retention and lacing on the glass. Flavors of big dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, molasses, caramel, toffee, toasted biscuit, dark rye bread, nuttiness, smoke, and charcoal; with herbal, peppery, piney earthy hop balance. Moderate roast/char and piney/spicy bitterness on the finish. Full bodied creamy/silky mouthfeel; fair amount of sticky/resinous hops and chalky roasted notes. Increasing bitter hop/char dryness; no acrid/astringent flavors. Minimal warming ABV. This is absolutely sublime after a couple years, but I am still amazed with this 9 month old bottle(and even fresher). Absolutely flawless style example. Glad to have this year round now(again). Glad the variants have started popping up recently. Need to try them again, been many years. Got a BBA to review soon as well. Really look forward to that one.
    [​IMG]

Continuing the yearly tradition. My favorite Christmas beer of all time! My BIL grabbed me a bottle tonight when he came over, but ironically I also grabbed one this afternoon. Fresh BB 2020 batch. Aromas and flavors of big raisin, plum, cherry, fig, pear, apple, orange peel, coriander, peppercorn, clove, brown sugar, caramel, toasted brown bread, and light chocolate/nutty maltiness; with some herbal/grassy hops and yeasty earthiness. Light-moderate peppery yeast spiciness and herbal/grassy hop/spice bitterness finish. Medium-plus bodied and very well carbonated. Very smooth and fairly crisp finishing. Some grainy malt creaminess in the mouthfeel. Touch of slick candi sugar sweetness and spice stickiness. Great drying carbonated finish, never overly sweet. Balance between yeast, coriander/orange peel spice, and malt/candi sugars is pretty much perfect. Serious mind blowing beer; it's always been better than Bernardus Christmas for me, though I still love that one too. I think the brighter yeast/spice complexity over the malts is what makes me love it more. I like Quads with more yeast character than dark malt sweetness.
    [​IMG]

Cheers

I can't stop listening to this album. Only the finest in Prog Black Metal.

8. hoptheology

hoptheology Poo-Bah (5,931) May 12, 2014 South Dakota
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

My personal shot at a Winter Warmer ale. "Late Start" follows no specific recipe, but encapsulates all that I love about winter beers. Special Belgian malts, CaraMunich, and Belgian Pils malts at give a rich, sappy golden plum flavor, a caramel sweetness, and a crisp, pie crust-like finish, respectively. The hops used are Pilgrim and Goldings, both Mild English hops imparting a firm pepper spiciness and very mild pear notes. Added adjuncts include cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar. It's figgy pudding in a glass. [​IMG] All at a comfortably warming 9.2% alcohol by volume. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

9. muchloveforhops3

muchloveforhops3 Poo-Bah (2,083) Apr 5, 2009 Montana
    Society

Moving on to some Kringle..

Cheers BAs!

10. JackRWatkins

Trader

Okay, you win

11. Zaphog

Zaphog Poo-Bah (2,910) Sep 23, 2011 Michigan
    Society Trader

2017 Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Barleywine
    [​IMG]

12. 5EKF

5EKF Meyvn (1,021) Dec 8, 2014 Illinois

Hello Beer Advocates!! It is X-mas Eve and due to a request by @jvgoor3786, I am opening a beer! Dinner was a simple supreme pizza and I am FINALLY opening this bottle of 2015 Griffin Claw Flying Buffalo Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout, courtesy of @beergorilla. Thanks brother; this is very smooth and flavorful and I can see it getting even better as it warms.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

13. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (2,319) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Society

2015 Anchor Christmas Ale.
    [​IMG]

Cheers, all.

14. beergorrilla

Trader

15. Foyle

Foyle Meyvn (1,086) Sep 29, 2007 North Carolina

Clearing out my frig of beer with a Foster's Lager...

[​IMG]

16. beergorrilla

Trader

Holy shit you still have this, merry christmas brother

jvgoor3786 and 5EKF like this.
  17. TNCraftBeer

TNCraftBeer Initiate (168) Oct 7, 2014 Tennessee
    Trader

Hah! Merry Christmas!

18. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (2,888) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Beer #5. Fieldwork’s Hazy Train.
    [​IMG]

beerloserLI, VABA, tolar111 and 18 others like this.
  19. 5EKF

Hehe yeah I didn't open it for a long time because I wanted to have it for a special occasion which never really came up and with me drinking a lot less these days, I had no idea when I would get to it, even though I always knew it was around. Really good stuff! Merry Christmas to you too!

beergorrilla likes this.
  20. IndyDad

IndyDad Zealot (511) Jan 21, 2013 New York
    Trader

Happy merry Christmas Eve, people.
    This beer is delicious.

21. TreyIsWilson

TreyIsWilson Poo-Bah (3,457) May 8, 2013 Michigan
    Society Trader

22. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (2,311) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Good to see you at the virtual bar and great decision on a Michigan beer! Time to enjoy a couple days away from the gym before hitting it hard on Tuesday.

Merry Christmas, Keith. :innocent:

guinness77, Zaphog and 5EKF like this.
  23. AltonGriese

AltonGriese Initiate (62) Aug 14, 2010 Florida
    Trader

[​IMG]

Had an excellent Deutz Brut with the dinner of mussels cooked in a Belgian tripple, shallots, garlic, thyme, and parsley. The Champagne had been in the cellar (bottom of the coat closet) for about five years.

Now enjoying this little desert beer. Get quite a bit of alcohol and sweet, sweet chocolate and nut. Ends really dry though.

Happy holidays all.

24. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (2,593) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Cellared a six and this is one of two left. If you like big bold Barleywines, this beer is simply perfect. Sweet with caramel and toffee notes. 2 years old a really nice Holiday sipper.[​IMG]

25. Lukass

Lukass Meyvn (1,410) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio
    Society

Merry Christmas Eve! No photo from me unfortunately but I'm drinking a high west barrel aged victory at sea. Victory at sea is one of my 'top 3' and the barrel aging takes it to a whole new level!

26. ivorycannon

ivorycannon Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2013 Indiana

Evening BA's.SNOW! My family did our Christmas today, was not a fun drive. Starting off with some Revolution: Anti Hero with a 2016 BCBS chilling in the fridge.

27. 5EKF

I couldn't say no when you said to crack open a beer. And this is quite good. Funny enough, I finally hit a wall and even though I was tempted to work legs this morning, I'm glad I'll be taking today and tomorrow off but I'll be back at it for delts on Tuesday! Cheers and Merry Christmas to you too!

Thomas_Wikman likes this.
  28. 5EKF

Oh snap! Look who it is! Merry Christmas!

29. Thomas_Wikman

Thomas_Wikman Poo-Bah (1,815) Jan 8, 2016 Texas
    Society

I am having Jule Maelk a Milk Stout from To Øl, Denmark, ABV 15.00%. Jule Maelk translated from Danish is Christmas Milk, but "Yule" is really a winter solstice celebration of Odin. Anyway, it is sweet, creamy, thick, roasted malts, milk chocolate, it's boozy but in a good way.

30. beergorrilla

Trader

31. scream

scream Meyvn (1,363) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

Nice pups !!!

Crunk means to me that one has passed the point of coping

mikeinportc and GreenBayBA like this.
  32. paulish

paulish Poo-Bah (2,479) Feb 2, 2014 New York
    Society Trader

33. beerjerk666

beerjerk666 Poo-Bah (3,257) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

G' evening BA's!! Picked up the wife and kids at the airport, had dinner at Cheddar's and now we're all home again.
    Time for a Christmas tradition I never miss out on.
    [​IMG]
    A tasty beer and It's A Wonderful Life.
    Merry Christmas everyone!

Cheers!

T-RO, TargaFlorio, Prager62 and 19 others like this.
  34. scream

the politically correct police are coming for you -hide

laketang likes this.
  35. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Disciple (332) Sep 24, 2010 Nebraska
    Trader

[​IMG]
    ...happy holidays BAs! xoxo!!

VABA, T-RO, Prager62 and 17 others like this.
  36. guinness77

guinness77 Poo-Bah (2,101) Jan 6, 2014 New York
    Society

[​IMG]
    It's funny. When you buy certain beers, you never know when you're gonna drink them. It's Christmas Eve and I've drank some pretty good ones, CBS, I'm looking at you, but it's time for this. And, funny enough, I'm drinking it alone in the dark because I'm (finally) putting the kids to sleep.

2014 Bourbon County Barleywine, in case the pic is too dark. Anyway, barrel very subtle. Raspberry jam all the way. Smooth as fuck. Slick, not too heavy feel.

37. scream

The folks that are paying you for posing for beer pictures-do they have any openings ?

mikeinportc and GreenBayBA like this.
  38. ivorycannon

ivorycannon Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2013 Indiana

Back at ya. Merry Christmas my friend.

5EKF likes this.
  39. MFMB

MFMB Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2015 Idaho

[​IMG]

Kids in bed, cookies and milk left out but I know what the big guy really wants. Bottle share tonight!

Cheers BAs Hope you are all doing well :slight_smile:

40. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

[​IMG]
    The last of my 2017 KBS, getting kids settled down for night before Santa arrives :-)
    Cheers and Merry Christmas to everyone .........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.