What beer are you drinking now? #1894

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by superspak, Dec 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (25,484) May 5, 2010 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Good morning BA, hope everyone has a nice hump day. Supposed to be a really cold day over here with wind chills and such, hope everyone else is staying warm.

Had some trouble falling asleep last night, so I was up until 3 AM; finished up about 95% of the super sized christmas crossword puzzle that my grandpa brought over this weekend. It had all 2017 historical events for the most part, so it was really easy to fill out if you didn't have your head under a rock for the last year.
    [​IMG]

Always fantastic! Grabbed a 6 pack yesterday. Big flavors of grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, lemon zest, orange peel, citrus rind, and pine hops; with moderate caramel, brown sugar, toffee, toasted brown bread, and light nutty malt sweetness; with herbal/floral/grassy hop and yeasty earthiness. Light-moderate pine, citrus rind, grassy, spicy bitterness on the finish. Balanced hop stickiness and bready malt creaminess in the mouthfeel; touch of slickness and resins. Increasingly drying finish; never astringent on hops, or cloying on sweetness. I realize this beer is basically Gnarlywine with brown sugar added; but when fresh this is like a blend of Arrogant Bastard-like strong ale and American barleywine. Always love it. Amazingly well balanced.
    [​IMG]

Insane NE DIPA! Aromas and flavors of huge tangerine, orange juice, peach, apricot, pineapple, passion fruit, papaya, mango, melon, grapefruit, guava, lemon, citrus zest, berry, and light pepper/pine hops; with moderate wheat, white bread dough, light honeyed malt balance; and herbal, floral, grassy hop earthiness. Very minimal pine, herbal, grassy, spicy bitterness on the finish. Medium-full bodied bready/grainy creaminess in the mouthfeel. Slight hop stickiness, with a touch of increasing lingering bitter dryness. Zero hop astringency. Dangerously drinkable for 9.3%, minimal warming ABV. One of the absolute best in the style I've had, smoothness is unmatched. Pure citrus/tropical fruit juice hop flavors, with a touch of dankness. Never overly sweet or heavy feeling on malts for the body/ABV; perfectly balanced. Less than 1 month old dating. Glad these are in distro now, blows M-43 out of the water, but I will still be buying both :wink:
    [​IMG]

Amazing batch this year, as usual. Flavors of huge cinnamon, mint, nutmeg, ginger, clove, vanilla, coffee, cream, and chili pepper spice; with balanced milk/dark chocolate, cocoa, fudge, caramel, brown sugar, and toasted dark bread malt sweetness. Mild herbal spice and roasted bitterness, touch of char. Bittersweet balanced finish; with a fantastic creamy, silky, velvety, and rich full body mouthfeel. Some light sticky/chalky notes and dryness from the spices and roast malts. Dangerously smooth 13%, mild lingering warmth of alcohol and pepper heat. Super rich and decadent. Perfect balance of spices and stout flavors. One of my favorite spiced stouts along with regular Bomb! Will be grabbing many more as I do every year. One of my stores still has 2016 on the shelf too. Would be a nice mini vertical to check out, already bought another one of those. Feels thicker/richer this year with the 2% ABV increase to me.
    [​IMG]

My last 2013. Tasting insane after 4 years! Enormous flavors of milk/dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, caramel, vanilla, molasses, toffee, bourbon, toasted oak, raisin, plum, fig, cherry, date, leather, tobacco, licorice, and light coconut. Some bourbon/oak tannin spiciness balances the residual sweetness absolutely perfectly on the finish. Amazing balance between malt, dark fruit, and bourbon barrel flavors. Full bodied creamy, silky, velvety, rich mouthfeel. Minimal warming 14.9%, zero barrel booze. Personally cellared by me the whole time. Really sublime experience. Glad I seeked these out again this year. 2013 was the last time I actually bought the regular at all, but they were so easy to find this time around vs last couple years. First 2017 I had was completely on par with my memory of the older ones I had tried and reviewed. Glad I grabbed a half case.
    [​IMG]

Cheers

2. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (3,111) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

On the third day of Christmas...

[​IMG]

3. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (4,790) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

I'm not that familiar with or fond of the style, but I thought it wasn't half bad. Lots of herbal and spice character.

4. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,777) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society Trader

A brisk 5 degrees here this morning.

[​IMG]

5. JouerAvecLeFeu

JouerAvecLeFeu Champion (801) Apr 17, 2015 Washington
    Trader

6. 911CROFT

911CROFT Devotee (438) May 18, 2015 England
    Trader

In York for the day with my brother, about an hours journey each for us to meet in the middle.

Starting with, Northern Monk Patrons Project IPA, Citra, Amarillo & Mosaic

[​IMG]

7. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,895) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Society Trader

Goudale amber. I have imposed a diet on myself after gaining about 10 pounds during Christmas festivities. Gah.

[​IMG]

8. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (4,453) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Cold dark and rainy today...a good day to stay in and drink beer, no? From allegedly the best “gypsy” brewer in Switzerland - Storm & Anchor Brewing Co. - “Silly Nelson India Pale Ale”:

Outstanding! Darn near perfect appearance with long lasting heavy lace; skunky grapefruit, dank hop nose; weedy mango, bitter grapefruit rind, Meyers lemons, lite semi sweet caramel malt base; medium lite body, moderate carbonation with lite resin tongue coating; overall a well balanced IPA between the malt and hops; long orange/citrus zest bitter linger.

I’m told a small batch brewer, so not sure if I will find this again. A tasty well made IPA regardless. Happy hump day, y’all!

9. buckeye1275

buckeye1275 Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2013 Delaware

Sipping on a Black Butte 28 and making up the last of my homemade sausage. I love not working. Haha

10. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (3,552) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Good Morning BA
    Celebrating my 300th beer on BA with one from the cellar(actually that means my crawlspace).
    [​IMG]
    Bottled 8/29/15 and just fantastic, even with my less than perfect storage conditions. I still have one more and will try to hold out until August since there is zero oxidation in this one. Cheers!

11. 911CROFT

Trader

Wild Childe: Passionfruit Milkshake IPA & Chocolate Ganache Stout

Chicken & Bacon Pie.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Meyvn (1,237) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

A chilly brisk 3 degree morning here on the north coast....minus 7 with wind chill....did not keep me from trudging outside to get a frosty sunrise lake pic.....spending some time with baby also

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cheers all!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Darn cold here too. When you are mopping be sure you don't end up in the corner without any beer. Smells like pine anyway so . . . . Cheers!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

VABA, SiepJones, GreenBayBA and 50 others like this.
  14. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (7,315) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

Good morning, BAs! While I was loathe to crack open one of these bottles, what good is beer if you don't drink it? Besides, I've only had this once before, on tap, so .... cheers!

[​IMG]
    Founders CBS

15. Prager62

Prager62 Poo-Bah (2,385) May 7, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

It warmed up to -3 degrees now. Balmy enough to snap a photo outside and feed the birds. Looks like a lazy morning of beer, cookies and Netflix is on the menu. This bottle is an oldie from 10/30/15 that was stashed in the fridge. It held up remarkably well with the cinnamon and chocolate still present. Cheers to a cold lazy day!

16. mschrei

mschrei Poo-Bah (3,465) Jul 4, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

-5 here. This will warm things up.
    [​IMG]

17. DoctorZombies

Society Trader

While I clean the kitchen and make another batch of Gluhwein:

18. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (2,098) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Mornin' all - another fresh one from the Chicago stash, purchased at the taproom on opening day. Really like this Spiteful IPA, low on the ABV, but hoppy, crisp, and resinous with pine-sap. Cheers! Back on the early beer-train for me, helps me write in the morning...
    [​IMG]

19. richj1970

richj1970 Poo-Bah (2,312) Oct 26, 2012 Alabama
    Society Trader

Morning BA! Took the truck to the shop for oil change, and now time for some Westbrook Rinse and Repeat - Simcoe and Amarillo.

[​IMG]

20. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,462) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    DIPA (8%) collab between Sand City and Finback...
    [​IMG]
    Refermented on pineapple; featuring Mosaic and Azacca hops...

Stay frosty, BA...

Cheers...

#20 Greywulfken, Dec 27, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  21. richj1970

richj1970 Poo-Bah (2,312) Oct 26, 2012 Alabama
    Society Trader

Time now for some Transmigration of Souls.

[​IMG]

22. 911CROFT

Trader

No intro needed. Weihenstephaner: Hefe

[​IMG]

23. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (3,552) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Closer
    [​IMG]
    One more night shift! Enjoy what's in your glass today BA!

24. rtmyers123

rtmyers123 Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2017 Pennsylvania

Neshaminy is 8.5 and smooth. Belly up to the bar.

25. IckyT2012

IckyT2012 Champion (831) Oct 13, 2014 Florida
    Trader

26. DoctorZombies

Society Trader

Another while we wait for Jr. to return from his afternoon reconnaissance mission so we can go to dinner:

27. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (7,315) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

Had one of these as a nightcap last night; freaking delicious. Maybe not as aggressively bitter as the OG Ruination, but still damn good DIPA.

Enjoying one now with lunch.

[​IMG]

Cheers!

28. 911CROFT

Trader

Great Yorkshire Brewery: Yorkshire Blackout - find this one a bit thin and dull in the bottle but on cask it’s a real gem. No adjuncts used but man it pops with chocolate.

[​IMG]

29. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,777) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society Trader

A stop at York River Landing while we search for the perfect lobster roll (for my daughter visiting from Florida).
    From left to right: Agrestic, 2010 Smutty Baltic Porter, Garden of Eden

[​IMG]

30. cbcrunch

cbcrunch Poo-Bah (2,384) Jan 21, 2012 Wyoming
    Society

Cold in Colorado too!

Breakside IPA
    at Choice City Deli
    Fort Collins, CO.

[​IMG]

Cheers...

VABA, SiepJones, GreenBayBA and 42 others like this.
  31. Beer-Panda

Beer-Panda Defender (667) Mar 27, 2016 Netherlands

21 Grams Cryo Hops Imperial IPA from De Molen.
    Cheers!

[​IMG]

32. 911CROFT

Trader

Brooklyn: Insulated Lager

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

33. Reef

Reef Meyvn (1,218) Dec 2, 2016 South Carolina
    Society

My big fat Charlotte beer crawl continues.
    [​IMG]
    Strange Clouds American IPA at Heist. El Dorado hops, 6.7 ABV. Pineapple and grapefruit ate barely penetrating my impaired taste and smelling faculties. Picked up a couple crowlers.

34. Beerbadger55

Beerbadger55 Initiate (109) Aug 29, 2017 Wisconsin

Looks like I picked a great time to get out of Wisconsin and head to Florida. sitting by my brother in laws pool drinking my first Jai Lai of the day. Stay warm everyone, cheers!

35. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,803) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Straight to Ale Stout at the Devil . . .

[​IMG]

Rich dark blackish color with gold tints at the edges and small cap.

Aroma of dark ripe fruit and chocolate with hints of brown sugar.

Taste on entry is a rather complex group of flavors consisting of dark roasted malt, coffee, cocoa, demerara sugar and sharp vanilla all intertwined like a Belgian chocolate truffle. That description sounds sweeter than it is because it finishes somewhat dry with an assertive roast malt bitterness emerging in the aftertaste.

Full body texture with balancing carbonation.

There's a lot to like about this one flavor wise and little to discredit it. I could do without the surge of bitterness in the aftertaste but that's a minor quibble. The malt is strong in this one but the other elements add a complexity that advance it a couple steps above the ordinary oatmeal coffee stout.

36. Prager62

Prager62 Poo-Bah (2,385) May 7, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Switching to some hops with a Michigan favorite after days of drinking dark high abv. beer.

37. The_Kriek_Freak

The_Kriek_Freak Poo-Bah (2,530) Aug 18, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Hill Farmstead - Dorothy

[​IMG]

38. bstyle

bstyle Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2006 Indiana

39. thuey

thuey Defender (639) Nov 13, 2015 California
    Society

[​IMG]

Good beer, but even better concept. Take a better base beer (Even More Jesus) and add the stuff that makes Bomb! so good.

But the end result is a little muddled for my tastes. The stout is definitely more rich than the original Bomb!, but lacks the roasty complexity that EMJ normally has. Also the spices and chilies from Bomb! are subdued, because it can't compete with the richer EMJ stout.

In my opinion, less than the sum of its parts.

(Also: 13% beer in 16oz cans? I mean, some people would love that, but that's too much. I threw out at least the extra 4oz)

40. ChrisSchlosser

ChrisSchlosser Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2013 Ohio

I have to ask, I see your posts on here all the time. Do you really drink all of these beers in one sitting each time? I mean you're drinking some heavy hitters here, and I would think you would be blasted after all of these if you're consuming them at one time and on a regular basis.

GreenBayBA, AdmiralOzone and JoeBloe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.