What beer are you drinking now? #1895

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by superspak, Dec 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (25,484) May 5, 2010 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Good morning BA, have a great Thursday! Hope everyone is staying warm again today, it is even more bitter cold up here than it was yesterday. I am pretty sure the garage ambient temperature is colder than the beer in the fridge :neutral_face:. Plan on driving around later today and doing a beer run with the beer store gift card my Uncle gave me, should be a nice haul. Will make sure not to leave it in the car overnight though.

Fantastic Gose as always. Flavors of tart/sour cherry, lemon, lime, green apple, wheat, cracker, coriander, sea salt, herbal, grass, and yeast earthiness. Moderate fruity/lactic tart/sourness and lightly spicy/tannic fruit finish. Balanced cherry/lacto acidity, salinity, and grainy wheat creaminess in the mouthfeel. Highly drinkable and refreshing, slightly puckering. One of my all time favorites in the style. I drank over a case last year. Does not feel quite as lactically sour this year, but still fantastic and easier drinking. Grabbed a full case this year, and there is still some more around too. WIll likely get another pack soon.
    [​IMG]

Always amazing, though not as hazy as last year. Flavors of huge grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, peach, passion fruit, papaya, mango, melon, guava, berry, lemon zest, orange peel, citrus rind, light pepper, and pine hops; with wheat, bready, light honeyed malts; and herbal, floral, grassy hop earthiness. Moderate pine, citrus peel, grassy, spicy bitterness on the finish. Medium bodied; balanced bready/grainy malt and sticky/resinous hops in the mouthfeel. Crisp/drying finish and never astringent on bitterness. Amazing juicy, vibrant, and dank hop profile; refreshingly drinkable for an IPA. Mosaic and Equinox hops are my favorite of all time. They have been changing around the hops every year; but as long as those two stay, I don't care much. Got 3 packs this year so far, definitely getting another one.
    [​IMG]

Wow, 2015 is tasting amazing! Flavors of huge caramel, brown sugar, toffee, molasses, vanilla, bourbon, toasted oak, coconut, brown bread, raisin, plum, fig, cherry, and date; with lighter notes of chocolate, leather, tobacco, smoke, and herbal hops. Light herbal bitterness and bourbon/oak spiciness against sweetness on the finish. Very creamy/silky/velvety medium-full body mouthfeel. Lightly slick, sticky, chalky, and tannic. Lightly increasing bitter/tannic dryness. Very smooth, minimal warming ABV, no barrel booze. Amazing barrel balance, perfect integration. I revisited my 5 year old review earlier this year with a 2016. This is definitely a noticeable improvement with the extra year, especially on mouthfeel. Still have few of these left, and a lot of 2016 in stock; plus 2 packs of 2017. Really glad this is going year round next year, but I always love it more with age.
    [​IMG]

This is amazing! I made sure to stock up this year, got a total of 6 I think. I remember regretting only grabbing 1 last year. Flavors of big dark chocolate, cocoa, caramel, molasses, fudge, spicy rye, dark bread, vanilla, toffee, bourbon, toasted oak, pecan nuttiness, licorice, raisin, prune, fig, date, and light smoke/char. Light-moderate roast/char bitterness and bourbon/oak spiciness on the finish. Full bodied creamy/silky and lightly slick/sticky/chalky mouthfeel. Lightly increasing roast/char dryness. Never acrid/astringent. This is a flat out amazing beer for the price. For being partial barrel aged, there is still plenty of barrel character going on. Big malt complexity, in combination with pecans and fruity yeast esters; with perfect balance between all 3. Dangerously smooth. Mildly warming and minimal booze for the ABV. The more recent batches were definitely better than the original 2013 they had released in overall complexity and barrel presence according to my reviews(and even after aging it). Glad they will keep making this next year. Will grab plenty more then as well.
    [​IMG]

Cheers

2. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (3,110) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

On the fourth day of Christmas...

[​IMG]

3. JouerAvecLeFeu

JouerAvecLeFeu Champion (801) Apr 17, 2015 Washington
    Trader

4. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (4,790) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

Pretty decent Porter, pleasant surprise.

VABA, Prager62, cdawg and 42 others like this.
  5. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (6,837) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] Love that they already did a fresh batch of this awesome coffee beer. On a cold day it really hits the spot. Bottled 12/4/17.[​IMG] Cheers all.

6. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (5,104) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Good morning BAs! Today's New Breakfast Beer:

Well, not really. I had a couple of glasses of it at JK in November but I didn't review it until today - definitely should have bought a case or two!

Yesterday's New Breakfast Beer:

Also pretty decent. Wish I could get JK brews around here, but I really don't mind making beer runs to Texas.

VABA, cdawg, mikeinportc and 45 others like this.
  7. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Meyvn (1,237) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Morning BA's, and happy last Thursday 2017! Brrrrrrr, another cold day - only 3 degrees here

Some citrusy breakfast DIPA? Why, yes please!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

nice holiday beer gift from my gf

[​IMG]

hi from my baby Stella

[​IMG]

TooGood, cdawg, mikeinportc and 55 others like this.
  8. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (3,552) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Good Morning BA
    I'm off for four days after a brutal nightshift trying to equipment running in single digit temps. Drinking this...
    [​IMG]
    Cheers!

9. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (4,452) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Day trip to Luzern today. Lunch plus beers at the Rathaus Brauerei, their Christmas Dunkel:

Imgur can’t upload photos, so I’ll try again tonight when we get home. Cheers from Luzern!

10. joaopmgoncalves

joaopmgoncalves Poo-Bah (1,801) Dec 17, 2012 Portugal
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

My 600th craft beer entry, The Veil Brewing Co. - Master Shredder. And wh(e)at a beer.

cdawg, JBowenGeorgia, Roguer and 45 others like this.
  11. pjbear05

pjbear05 Initiate (138) May 28, 2008 Florida

NOTHING, and will be that way for a spell. Went to the ER Christmas evening with severe chest pains. A cardiologist there had me admitted to the hospital, where they did a heart catheterization. Upon finding a blockage in an artery they performed a balloon angioplasty and inserted a stent. I came home late yesterday afternoon with perscrpitions, appointments with a cardiologist and for rehab, and info on lifestyle changes. Looks like my beering will be seriously curtailed for some time. Shit!

12. StartedwithSAM

StartedwithSAM Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2015 Virginia

Thanks for the review, I was only able to grab one bottle this year : ( I cant wait to enjoy it.

superspak likes this.
  13. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

Love this beer, Founders is one of my fav. they just put out solid beers. Looks like a cold day, so glad I moved from Chicago to Arizona, that used to be my temperature this time of year :-)

mikeinportc, laketang and SawDog505 like this.
  14. richj1970

richj1970 Poo-Bah (2,312) Oct 26, 2012 Alabama
    Society Trader

Morning BA! Repeating with this one...

[​IMG]

cdawg, JBowenGeorgia, Roguer and 44 others like this.
  15. scream

scream Meyvn (1,363) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

Bet that was scary. Best of luck going forward !

16. StartedwithSAM

StartedwithSAM Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2015 Virginia

Sorry to hear, I wish you a speedy recovery.

17. AZBeerDude72

Ya, I would take the next year off beer and get your health back. Beer can wait.
    Feel better

18. EMH73

EMH73 Poo-Bah (2,500) Sep 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Take good care of yourself.

19. bowzer4birdie

bowzer4birdie Poo-Bah (1,905) Aug 16, 2012 Illinois
    Society

20. AZBeerDude72

I am surprised more people are not posing this beer, I thought it was really good. You don't see many people drinking it.
    Cheers

21. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (3,552) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

I'll be doing a lot of blending with this slightly under attenuated home brewed stout. Perfect mixed with IPA though
    [​IMG]
    Enjoy what's in your glass today BA!

22. Dutchcraftbeergeek

Dutchcraftbeergeek Savant (936) Nov 21, 2015 Netherlands

23. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,803) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

This is one form of holiday citrus . . .

[​IMG]

Clear light gold color with white cap.

Aroma of piney, citrusy hops with a definite lean toward citrus.

Taste on entry is hop forward (natch, it's 84 IBU) , piney hops with a fairly strong addition of tangerine. I can't tell how much of the flavor is due to fruit or hops but tangerine it is. A rather full on tangerine, more like essential oil than zest or juice. The brewer says this is a take on their traditional IPA but I find the malt presence much diminished, almost lacking else I would've scored it higher. Clean finsh with an almost surging hop bitterness in the aftertaste.

Medium texture with balancing carbonation.

Unapologetically hop bitter and fruit dominant, I don't see exactly where this one fits in. Too bitter for food, too lacking in taste other than hop bitter fruit, and not exciting enough to set aside a few for guests. Guess I'll just have to finish the six pack.

24. mschrei

mschrei Poo-Bah (3,462) Jul 4, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

Another morning, another coffee beer. Even after 8 months, still has good flavor.
    [​IMG]

cdawg, beergorrilla, Roguer and 42 others like this.
  25. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Poo-Bah (1,587) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia
    Society Trader

Just got back from Virginia about midnight last night. Brought back a bottle of this for this afternoons enjoyment.

Checking this new phones camera out too:
    [​IMG]
    Such a complex beer. Definitely getting some wine notes along with the bourbon. Great stuff.

Cheers !
    Hope everyone had a good holiday.

TooGood, cdawg, mikeinportc and 49 others like this.
  26. bowzer4birdie

bowzer4birdie Poo-Bah (1,905) Aug 16, 2012 Illinois
    Society

It is tasty and getting a better hint of the coffee as it warms, of course.

27. brewnme

brewnme Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2017 Maine

11:15 a.m. and still -5 F. This calls for one of my stashed BCBS before snow blowing and shoveling. Then I can go to Wally World and buy a new camera so I can continue posting with pics. Until then, Cheers!

mikeinportc, Roguer, Brolo75 and 18 others like this.
  28. IckyT2012

IckyT2012 Champion (831) Oct 13, 2014 Florida
    Trader

Forgot to drink this one on Christmas. Turns out its still just as good 2 days later. Who knew?

[​IMG]

cdawg, JBowenGeorgia, Roguer and 44 others like this.
  29. richj1970

Society Trader

Some Unobtanium while catching up on a couple GoT episodes.

[​IMG]

cdawg, JBowenGeorgia, Roguer and 36 others like this.
  30. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (8,420) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

I am still trying to get out of this freezing country :wink:

Cheers!

31. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Cheers you all! I went looking for a nice hoppy beer to pair with rosemary and I almost bought an IPA. AND wouldn't you know I got caught "not reading" again. I did want saranac's irish roots case anyway as it is a favorite of mine but on the front they listed a golden ale. Their golden ale uses oats and is allegedly toasty and a bit hoppy. Will it pair with rosemary?! I don't know yet but this one will. Cheers!

[​IMG]

VABA, RaulMondesi, cdawg and 50 others like this.
  32. JoeBloe

JoeBloe Defender (654) Nov 16, 2007 New York

working on this and this.....[​IMG]
    finito !
    [​IMG]

33. Beer-Panda

Beer-Panda Defender (666) Mar 27, 2016 Netherlands

Having some Liquid Arrogance.
    Cheers!

[​IMG]

34. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (6,837) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] Kettlehead Quest NEDIPA.

35. richj1970

Society Trader

Time to watch another episode with this guy. Maybe it might be warm enough to get outside for a few minutes after lunch...

[​IMG]

VABA, RaulMondesi, cdawg and 54 others like this.
  36. BB1313

BB1313 Poo-Bah (4,771) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

Dogfish Head - Oak-Aged Siracusa Nera.. cheers!

mikeinportc, Roguer, Brolo75 and 23 others like this.
  37. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (4,452) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Be well and take care of yourself - Doctor’s orders! We’ll be here when you can have a beers again.

38. AZBeerDude72

I agree, they are good but even better warmed up some and for the price they are a great winter beer for sure.

Blogjackets likes this.
  39. buckeye1275

buckeye1275 Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2013 Delaware

Cootie Catcher at RAR

cdawg, srw, Brolo75 and 29 others like this.
  40. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (8,978) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Stickman Brews - Arming the Rebels IPA
    [​IMG]

cdawg, Ocalafox, srw and 33 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.