What beer are you drinking now? #1917

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BIGPOPPAS, Jan 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (2,190) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

True that.

VABA likes this.
  2. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,892) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Ok, so one Scotch and one IPA later...

My first beer from New Zealand! *tick*
    [​IMG]
    Moa, Russian imperial stout aged in pinot noir barrels...

Oh, it's classy alright - cage and cork in effect...
    [​IMG]
    No idea about the bottling date, but this was a very wine-forward beer!

I'd almost go so far as to say it tasted like someone mixed pinot noir with a stout...
    [​IMG]
    Lots of tannic berry and cherry-like impressions - not tart, not too sweet, but very reminiscent of a dark red wine, with ample barrel notes - and then more traditional cocoa and coffee-like suggestions of stout ale... The body was very thin, smooth and easy-drinking - not heavy at all, and very slick and quick across the palate...

As it warmed, it became more stout-like, and I gotta say, I'm really liking it, but as a RIS, it may not be what you're looking for, but as an interesting brew... well, really cool...

Cheers...

#282 Greywulfken, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    jkblr, thebeers, utopiajane and 29 others like this.
  3. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,420) Jan 6, 2014 New York

[​IMG]
    Yessss. What a Friday, BAs. My third already and they’re just tasting better. Cheers.

jkblr, thebeers, JamFuel and 29 others like this.
  4. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (10,236) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Free State, Tallgrass...

5. freewill35

freewill35 Zealot (562) Oct 27, 2007 Indiana

The Seymour Brewing Company Bing Bong Oatmeal Stout
    [​IMG]

jkblr, JamFuel, MjBrewhouse and 22 others like this.
  6. PuppyClawz

PuppyClawz Aspirant (240) Nov 22, 2014 Maryland

Don’t worry you got me. If I hadn’t drank that crowler and maybe some Four Roses I would keep up.

TongoRad, vabeerguy and CanConPhilly like this.
  7. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,832) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

jkblr, utopiajane, JamFuel and 22 others like this.
  8. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (2,757) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I guess Perrenial wouldn’t be that far off too? I’d love me some draft Abraxas.

cdawg and russpowell like this.
  9. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (24,346) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Society Trader

Good evening BA, happy Friday! Hope everyone is enjoying the start of the weekend. Another quick and busy work day to finish off the week. Not much planned for the weekend, but it should be warmer. Probably going to make a beer run tomorrow.

Today's reviews:

Very nice APA. Flavors of big tangerine, grapefruit, peach, pear, pineapple, passionfruit, mango, melon, lemon zest, orange peel, citrus rind, pepper, and pine hops; with moderate cracker, biscuity malts; and herbal, floral, grassy hop earthiness. Similar/muted aromas. Moderate pine, citrus rind, herbal, grassy, spicy bitterness on the finish. Medium-high carbonation, medium body, and moderately crisp finishing. Balanced bready/grainy malts and sticky/resinous/rindy hops in the mouthfeel. Moderate increasing bitter dryness, no hop astringency. Very easy drinking, though quite aggressive. Not really an NE style as they claimed, but still delicious. Very dank hops with a nice solid pale malt backbone. Claims to be only Galaxy hops, but this feels like it has Columbus/Chinook as well. Never seen Galaxy taste like this before, by itself. Can was 5 months old, so it probably could have been better; but I was a fan. 3.88
    [​IMG]

Very nice Gose. Great head retention/lacing for the style. Flavors of big tart/tangy blackberry, raspberry, lemon, peach, pear, red/green apple, red grape, sea salt, hay, and grass; with balanced wheat, cracker, biscuity malts; light pepper, lacto funk, and yeasty earthiness. Similar/muted aromas. Light-moderate fruity/lactic tartness, fruit/wheat tang; and light bitter/spiciness on the finish. Medium carbonation, light-medium body, and moderately crisp finishing. Balanced bready/grainy wheat, lactic acid, fruit tang/tannins, and salinity in the mouthfeel. Light-moderate increasing lactic/tangy fruit dryness; no pucker/astringency. Refreshingly smooth, 4.2%. Very impressive! Nice malt body for the ABV to balance acidity. Awesome balance between the fruity lacto, berries, salt, and bready malts. Great style example. Looking forward to the other Gose I have, I bought a bunch from Urban Artifact of various weird creations. 3.88
    [​IMG]

Excellent doppelbock! Amazing clarity, great head retention/lacing. Aromas and flavors of big caramel, brown sugar, brown bread dough/crusts, toasted biscuit, and nuttiness; with lighter notes of chocolate, cocoa, raisin, plum, fig, cherry, date, and herbal/peppery noble hops. Light-moderate herbal/spicy hop and roast bitterness on the finish. Medium carbonation and medium full body; great creamy/bready/grainy Munich malt mouthfeel; some sticky hops and chalky roast. Light-moderate increasing hop/roasted bitter dryness; no cloying/acrid/astringency. Perfectly clean lagering, never yeasty. Mildly increasing warmth of 10%, dangerously smooth. Tastes like a Schwazbier/Doppelbock hybrid, but I believe that was the intention. A little more bitter, drying, and roasty than I expected; but still really delicious. Extremely rich Vienna/Munich malt complexity; well restrained fruitiness and balancing noble hops. This is spot on stuff. 4.03
    [​IMG]

This is amazing! Amazing lasting head retention and thick lacing on the glass. Dense thick looking pour. Aromas and flavors of big dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, caramel, brown sugar, toffee, vanilla, whiskey, coconut, toasted oak, and dark bread; with lighter notes of smoke, charcoal, leather, tobacco, molasses, licorice, raisin, prune, cherry, and peppery/piney hops. Light-moderate roast/char and peppery/piney hop bitterness on the finish. Some bourbon/oak tannin spiciness. Medium carbonation and full body; very creamy/silky/velvety/rich mouthfeel; some sticky hops, chalky roast, and oak tannins. Light-moderate increasing hop/char bitter dryness; never acrid/astringent. Mildly increasing warmth of 12.5%, zero barrel booze. Dangerously smooth. Not quite blowing me away as much as the base beer, but close. Aromas left a bit to be desired, not as intense. Otherwise this is a superb BBA RIS, hits the style perfectly. Perfect barrel integration, rich roasty/charred malts, and nice earthy hop presence even after the barrel aging. Wish this was available outside of the gift pack. Love all three beers, but I don't need much more glassware haha. 4.38
    [​IMG]

Cheers

#289 superspak, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    jkblr, utopiajane, bstyle and 26 others like this.
  10. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (3,155) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Society Trader

Moving along...

jkblr, thebeers, utopiajane and 28 others like this.
  11. vabeerguy

vabeerguy Poo-Bah (2,976) Sep 21, 2015 Virginia
    Society Trader

Four Roses. I do not know you but I think we could be drinking friends.

eppCOS, PuppyClawz and CanConPhilly like this.
  12. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,471) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Long day of doctors then driving. Nothing conclusive learned from Drs so repeat scans in 2 months. At hotel with a good IPA from 3 Stars Brewing Co. - “Ghost”:

Cheers from DC!

jkblr, utopiajane, JamFuel and 24 others like this.
  13. russpowell

Society Trader

Kansas is much better than people think, but pales in comparison to its closest neighbors west & east.

CanConPhilly likes this.
  14. PuppyClawz

Yes it’s the tiny one that you can get with games in it already.

VABA, GreenBayBA and CanConPhilly like this.
  15. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Meyvn (1,086) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Never a dull moment

[​IMG]

jkblr, JamFuel, cdawg and 17 others like this.
  16. CanConPhilly

Society Trader

I enjoy 8-bit. I believe that’s the only beer I’ve had from Kansas though.

VABA, GreenBayBA and russpowell like this.
  17. vabeerguy

Society Trader

Airlines can ship pets in cargo and they survive. So maybe....

18. Zaphog

Zaphog Poo-Bah (2,683) Sep 23, 2011 Michigan
    Society Trader

Blackrocks Starman Pale Ale
    [​IMG]
    Simcoe, Citra, Amarillo, Columbus and Mosaic hops

jkblr, utopiajane, JamFuel and 23 others like this.
  19. CanConPhilly

Society Trader

That’s baller. I want one of those.

PuppyClawz likes this.
  20. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Poo-Bah (3,935) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon
    Society Trader

God I hope it's not February 17-20th. I'll be in Bend. Other than that, it's a warm welcomed go!

JayORear likes this.
  21. Lingenbrau

Society Trader

You're welcome. As I've said before, even if the beer sucks, I could sit there all day every day.

[​IMG]

22. PuppyClawz

We can be friends for sure. Trying to appreciate whiskey more and expand my palate. Really enjoy the ryes.

It’s pretty damn fun. It was a gift. Plus you can save your progress on Super Mario and I guess other games also.

VABA, vabeerguy and CanConPhilly like this.
  23. Lingenbrau

Society Trader

Seal of approval granted. I should really get back into that.

Someday. Soon perhaps.

24. Lingenbrau

Society Trader

You can bribe me with Schlitz! As long as there is good company, that's all I care about.

25. Lingenbrau

Society Trader

Speaking of good company, happy Friday BA's. From the Lingenbrau's. Cheers.

[​IMG]

jkblr, utopiajane, bstyle and 23 others like this.
  26. cdawg

cdawg Disciple (340) May 26, 2013 Arizona
    Society

27. russpowell

Society Trader

Was thinking Fedex Ground...

vabeerguy likes this.
  28. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,400) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Evening BA

It's coffee time.

Just started watching Catastrophe on Amazon. It's pretty damn funny.

jkblr, utopiajane, JamFuel and 18 others like this.
  29. vabeerguy

Society Trader

You lost me but not hard to do so.

PuppyClawz and TongoRad like this.
  30. CanConPhilly

Society Trader

I hope you make it out here to meet up with all of us East Coast crazies someday.

VABA, TongoRad and Lingenbrau like this.
  31. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,134) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    I'm enjoying this more than the first time I had it. I'm tasting more of the base porter with its vanilla and the rye isn't as strong. I may have to revisit my review. Mrs. Mac and I are headed out to Penna. tomorrow to watch our alma mater play hoops and I'll be on the lookout for some good beer to bring home.

jkblr, PuppyClawz, VABA and 23 others like this.
  32. vabeerguy

Society Trader

Dude, my prayers are with you. In my case, my wife has to deal with my medical crap. I know it is hard for her and my guess it is hard for you.

33. TreyIsWilson

TreyIsWilson Poo-Bah (2,598) May 8, 2013 Michigan
    Society Trader

34. Lingenbrau

Society Trader

I'm a Nomad by fate. Someday when my kids are older, I hope to visit as many places and enjoy as many BA's company as possible. Until then, I'm just gonna really try and embrace this new beautiful place I get to call home, and welcome any who care to visit. Cheers!

35. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (2,280) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Society Trader

I wish you would do that then. Without your phone.

36. vabeerguy

Society Trader

Schlitz. Are they still in business? I think I left behind a few brain cells in my youth due to them.

Have a good weekend my friend. Stay sober. Actually, I do not support that. But stay safe. Do not drink and drive.

37. Lingenbrau

Society Trader

Me too. Could you imagine that kind if tranquility?

PatrickCT likes this.
  38. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,265) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society

Pizza and beer

Cheers

jkblr, PuppyClawz, thebeers and 24 others like this.
  39. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (2,280) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Nice pie!

TongoRad, Lingenbrau and laketang like this.
  40. Barnoloid

Barnoloid Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2015 Illinois

Well I was going to adventure then I figured I had a date with the dinosaur. Sipping a few Sues (Iowa cans thankfully, not the ones brewed in FL) and watching The Last Waltz

What a show!

[​IMG]

jkblr, utopiajane, VABA and 20 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.