What beer are you drinking now? #2629

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Shanex, Jan 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vabeerguy

vabeerguy Poo-Bah (3,853) Sep 21, 2015 Virginia
    Society Trader

Started to type how it was I first had this beer but then thought why. Anyway, another awesome NC IPA.
    [​IMG]

2. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (8,547) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Braxton Brewing Company -- Edge of Mysteries

[​IMG]

4.08/5 rDev -3.3%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Hazy peach colored body; one-finger thick head, creamy and lasting; decent sheeting inside the glass. Soft, fruity aroma; berry-like. Malty, dully sweet, and citrusy taste; bready and tangy; low-key hop bitterness. Medium-heavy body; pillowy on the palate; some acidic dryness and low-level residual sugar sweetness.

A fine DDH IPA, not too harsh with with the citrus aspects, not too dulling with the grain base. It delivers some fine balance and complexity to the palate. A very fine, well-rounded modern IPA.

3. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (3,538) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Now enjoying some Grimm while the gf is roasting some Oregon nuts. She's crazy. I can't keep up with her; yes, I can. Cheers!
    [​IMG]

4. vabeerguy

Society Trader

Dude, as the guy says on TV every year vertical is a good year. Not to mention I have two awesome daughters and the best granddaughter on the east coast so how can life be otherwise. Add to that I have made friends on this thread with some of the best folks possible. You my friend are one of the best and I thank you.

5. zeff80

zeff80 Poo-Bah (15,096) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri
    Society

Logboat Mamoot

6. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,503) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

7. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (12,163) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

This Rose Bowl is entertaining enough. New Belgium Peach Kick slightly sour ale, let the ticking begin in 2020!

8. Mister_Faucher

Mister_Faucher Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2014 Washington

Good evening folks, finally getting at it. Some local stout to start it off.

[​IMG]

9. goingbrokeonbeer

goingbrokeonbeer Poo-Bah (1,794) Dec 4, 2013 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Go home tomorrow morning, I’m ready.
    [​IMG]

10. SierraNevallagash

SierraNevallagash Meyvn (1,115) Sep 23, 2018 Maine
    Trader

[​IMG]
    2017 BCBS Northwoods

A long time want of mine, now sitting in my glass. I imagine the blueberry was much stronger in this over two years ago. There's a little tang of it left, really emphasising that Bourbon County dark fruit note, but wow, is that almond going strong. This is all bourbon fudge-covered marzipan. So mellow from its little bit of maturity, and drinking so silky soft. I love Bourbon County. Thank you Peter, for this bottle. Lovely stuff, and an axe I can finally bury.

Cheers everyone!

11. AltonGriese

AltonGriese Initiate (62) Aug 14, 2010 Florida
    Trader

[​IMG]

Now enjoying a Sierra Nevada Celebration. Had an Old Fashioned with Four Roses Small Batch Bourbon earlier while playing in the Appalachian Wasteland (Fallout 76). GT: ThreeCirclesNet on XBOX for any other Vault Dwellers out there.
    [​IMG]

12. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (2,594) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Yes I drink wine as well and this Turley Zin was fkn money. Went perfectly with this locally raised spatchcocked chicken. Now having dessert courtesy of @SawDog505 again. Perfect ending. Lucy approves.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Thankin_Hank

Thankin_Hank Poo-Bah (1,982) Nov 18, 2013 Texas
    Society

#5 Even more PBR.

[​IMG]

VABA, Txex06, Glider and 27 others like this.
  14. benzodrums

benzodrums Aspirant (216) Feb 19, 2015 Texas
    Trader

Drinking a few more freshies tonight. I think I'm just kicking the champagne headache from last night..
    [​IMG]

15. russpowell

Society Trader

Moving on, Sugar Bowl; Let's see if the Baylor Bears can defend my conference's honor, since my Sooners laid a giant egg

Lost Forty Trash Panda IPA, the hops in play on this batch aren't wowing me, but really only noticeable on a fresh set of tastebuds

16. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (3,007) Dec 1, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Im doing whole 30 starting tomorrow so no booze (or dairy or sugar etc etc) until February 1. Putting a bow on the holiday season with a few pours of Booker’s...thought about it but just couldn’t fit a Beer in there after an over the top pasta dinner.

Will be a welcome and needed respite/reboot but I’ll undoubtedly be craving the beer by about day 10. I’ll be lurking this month for sure!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (6,631) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

Props with keeping the tree up until now, my wife has been hounding me to take it down. Tomorrow is the day. One more relaxing special evening and now all we have is winter for 3 months. Cheers Larry

18. vabeerguy

Society Trader

Mike, another beer? You have more company tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

19. Ocalafox

Ocalafox Poo-Bah (1,813) May 17, 2016 Florida
    Society Trader

Pretty sure these will be drinkable for another week or so, gotta work thru the last 4. Back to work tomorrow after 8 days off. Oh well, we made the most of it and the trip to Boston was great.
    [​IMG]

20. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (5,565) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Happy New Year, BAs! This my first beer of the New Year and my first canned beer from Jersey Cyclone Brewing, the Citra dry-hopped variant of the house IPA, Eye of the Storm. I'm impressed. The Ekuanot in the boil and the Citra dry hopping create a really nice balance of bright citrus and herbal spice. This is much better than the base IPA I first had last summer. Cheers!

21. tobelerone

Society Trader

last I checked Christmas is 12 days so I say the tree is always up until at least Monday the 6th....see if that passes muster?!? Lol.

22. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (12,533) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Things are slowly winding down here at 40.0379° N, 76.3055° W where the football game has been as CANpelling as CAN be hoped; the pork & sauerkraut has been CANsumed (to the point that I CAN't shovel much more into my maw without fear of beCANming foie gras) & work tomorrow begins to beCkAN. It's been a marvy buncha time off, but you CAN see what comes of too much of it for me.

For @TheIPAHunter : Depending whereabouts in PA you reside & depending on mutual schedules, maybe we should team up some time. I am in Lancaster city & if I have to travel to meet, it would probably have to be over a vacation period. I have lotsa peeps who will vouch for me as trivia partner. I like to keep my teams to a minimum, ~ 3 to 4 of us. I also prefer to record, but I will usually defer on answers where there is disagreement. I am not the guy who patiently listens to his team come to a CANsensus answer & still puts down his (usually) incorrect one! I have walked out on that CANsense, which is why I wield the pen. You want me on your team? That's my only ask.

NOW, I am dahnshifting in the homestretch tonight. Time for a Lager or two as a nightcap & then to bed. Right NOW, it is:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25327/97922/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]
    & I am going to end on an up-note.

It has been a CANtastic break, a CANtastic couple of days here on WBAYDN, but it had to end eventually. I have (at least) one more in mind for tomorrow, post trivia. It will have to wait until then. B C'ing U!

23. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (3,311) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Good evening BA
    8th day of Christmas here...
    [​IMG]
    Pretty good stuff. Cheers all!

24. russpowell

Society Trader

I try to keep mine up until then ( 3 Kings Day )

25. scream

scream Meyvn (1,363) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

Lags Born Yesterday earlier. Now Founder's CBS - Cheers !!

VABA, Glider, bowzer4birdie and 20 others like this.
  26. Ronmarley1

Ronmarley1 Aspirant (272) Jan 20, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Having one of the “to-go” beers I bought at Prairie last night.

[​IMG]

Tomorrow we’re gonna take the cable car up to Sandia Peak and have lunch then it’s on to Tucson for the last leg of the trip.

Saw this billboard between Amarillo and Albuquerque and had to laugh!

[​IMG]

27. scream

scream Meyvn (1,363) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

Go for it - whichever way works for ya ! Or just make them top shelf !

mikeinportc and vabeerguy like this.
  28. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (2,594) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Its more no time and laziness. Although I had my Son home( who surprised me) and my daughter so everyone was here. Works been terrible so I just want to keep the theme going I guess.

29. Prager62

Prager62 Poo-Bah (2,365) May 7, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Milwaukee Champagne bottles marked down to $2.99 at Total Beverage today. Why not? Plus I promised @miwestcoaster a couple of weeks ago I'd play along with a New Year's pic.:wink:

[​IMG]

30. mando31

mando31 Aspirant (251) Oct 15, 2009 Illinois
    Trader

Been a pretty lazy day. Just watching TV and hanging out with my newborn. Getting into this Dunkin’ Coffee Porter now. Cheers!
    [​IMG]

31. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (7,335) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

Awesome Brew! My last bottle.

CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout) Founders Brewing Company

Cheers!
    [​IMG]
    Jerry Cantrell Degradation Trip - Volumes 1 & 2 (Enhanced) 2002 Roadrunner Records
    [​IMG]

32. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Poo-Bah (1,797) Nov 4, 2015 New York
    Society

Happy 2020, BAs! :heavymetal::beers:
    Surprised to find out I hadn't actually reviewed this one, so forced :rolling_eyes::grin: to pickup in the new year, where I left off last year, with probably my most oft-imbibed brew of 2019, Sloop Juice Bomb (von Trapp Helles, probably being a close 2nd).
    x2
    [​IMG]
    4.51/5 rDev +6.6%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30081/217327/?ba=mikeinportc#review

Clearing the fridge somewhat, while making the above-pictured 4-cheese/chicken/bacon/broccoli ranch pizza, & waiting for the Juice Bomb to warm up :
    [​IMG]
    ^ Ol' Reliable :+1:

[​IMG]
    Not the best, but not bad, ...& it's not gonna drink itself, eh? :wink:

#272 mikeinportc, Jan 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  33. russpowell

Society Trader

Moving on, boy they just won't call PI on these SEC teams will they? Staying in Arkansas, same brewery Lost Forty S'Morest Queen Stout ( some hints of S'Mores, but prefer more ABV with these kind of beers )

34. vabeerguy

Society Trader

I wish I had your will power. I hope all goes well. Very admirable goal. I have been thinking some the same.

Mister_Faucher and mikeinportc like this.
  35. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Poo-Bah (2,005) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

36. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Poo-Bah (1,797) Nov 4, 2015 New York
    Society

Orthodox Christmas is a real thing. + It's going to stay cold 'til at least the end of March. Don't give it up yet. :wink:

37. tobelerone

Society Trader

I did two (whole 30 runs) in 2019 and had a dry month in 2018 too. It’s not THAT hard and beer tastes even more amazing after a month off! I tend to go up and down 10-15lbs (at 5’8”), particularly after the deadly thanksgiving to New Years gauntlet so this will be a really beneficial break for me. My wife is a really accomplished baker so the house has been jam packed with goodies for the last six weeks or so. Add the dipas barleywines and BA stouts and clothes are a little tighter suddenly.

not to get all serious or soapboxy or whatever but I have an addictive type personality (be it food or substances) so it’s good for me at 48 years old to be able to chill and be sober for a month now and then and realize I can do that and it ain’t so bad.

38. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Poo-Bah (2,005) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

[​IMG]

Happy New Year all, Cheers!

39. bobv

bobv Poo-Bah (4,283) Feb 3, 2009 Vermont
    Society Trader

Welp, end of holidays!
    Cheers!!!!!

[​IMG]

tobelerone, Txex06, Glider and 12 others like this.
  40. DEdesings57

DEdesings57 Crusader (723) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

WOW what a film!

I need something just as strange as what I just witnessed

This Dry Rubbed Smoked Porter with:
    1 cup organic cocoa powder unsweetened no alkaline
    1/2 cup diamond kosher salt
    1/2 cup organic light brown sugar
    1/4 cup ground black pepper
    3 Tbs organic ground cinnamon
    2 Tbs cayenne
    1 Tbs ground cumin
    1 Tbs garlic powder
    1 cup at flame out and 1/2 cup in secondary for every 20 gallons.

IS very appropriate right now!
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.