What Beer Are You Drinking Now? #2795

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Lulah, Jun 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lulah

Lulah Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2020 Idaho

I'm back to the New Belgium - Voodoo Ranger 1985. Still unimpressive, but it's my fourth beer of this sesh and I don't feel like wasting a Little Hazy Thing on 'last call'. Spent the past few hours wrestling with youtub and I'm not amused at the moment - automated copyright strikes on music videos are not my idea of fun.

But screw that! In more fun topics, I've been working on coming up with ales for my dream brewery. So far my themes are spiders and goddesses. I'm not going to go into detail as... copyright BS :rolling_eyes:

WTF are you drinking right now? If anything? (down under mates, you got me? it's about drinking time there, yeah?)

:kissing_heart::kissing_heart::kissing_heart:

(ETA: been sucked into listening to some Front Line Assembly - it's a bit meh, but... I guess this song is pretty chill)

2. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (25,406) May 5, 2010 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Have a good Monday. I have been playing Call of Duty Warzone with a good squad of 1 local friend and a couple other people we met online. Been going for 5 hours now. No plans to quit just yet.

Stone Neverending Haze IPA. Excellent session NEIPA. Opaquely murky. Great fluffy head retention/foamy lacing. Aromas and flavors of big mandarin orange juice, red grapefruit, lemon, lime, peach, pear, pineapple, apricot, passion fruit, mango, honeydew melon, blueberry, gooseberry, citrus peel/rind, wood, peppercorn, pine hops; with moderate wheat, cracker, biscuit dough, toasted malts; and herbal/floral/grassy hop earthiness. Light-moderate pine, citrus peel/rind, herbal, floral, woody, grassy, peppery bitterness on the finish. Medium carbonation and body; balanced creamy/bready/grainy malts, sticky hops, and some resins/rinds in the mouthfeel. Light-moderate increasing resin dryness; no hop astringency. Very smooth/soft, zero warming 4%, with minimal lingering hop burn after the finish. Awesome Citra/Mosaic profile. Very juicy, vibrant, and fairly dank/earthy hops; with a great wheat/oat/malt backbone for the ABV. Minimal residual sweetness with lingering resin dryness. No complaints. Held up extremely well for December canning. Loved the hop profile as expected.
    [​IMG]

Cheers

3. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (4,913) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Good day BAs! The sky is threatening to burst open and rain today - OK by me since I got the lawn mowed yesterday and the garden won't mind the free water. Besides, there's always plenty to do inside the house and garage. Today's New Breakfast Beer:

[​IMG]

If you're in search of the feared Estonian Tick, go for it. Otherwise save your money for a less-ordinary (3.6) Impy Stout.

4. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (25,406) May 5, 2010 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Prairie Pirate Noir. Amazing as usual. Aromas and flavors of huge dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, caramel, toffee, fudge, vanilla, coconut, cream, toasted oak, brown sugar, and dark bread; with lighter notes of molasses, rum raisin, fig, date, cherries, licorice, smoke, and charcoal. Increasing booze in the aromas as it warms, but not overwhelming. Light roast/char bitterness and rum/oak spice on the finish. Light-medium carbonation and very full bodied. Very creamy/silky mouthfeel; with light slickness, chalky roast, and oak tannins. Slightly increasing bitter roast and tannic oak dryness. Never acrid/astringent. Incredible balance of the rum barrel and base stout. Pleasantly warming, but not boozy finish. Dangerously smooth sipper. Prairie imperial stouts rarely disappoint, very top tier stuff. I was able to get a lot of it this past year. Their BA stouts seem to be not as hard to come by anymore.
    [​IMG]

Cheers

5. pat61

pat61 Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota

Waldmann Brewery, Golden Lager

mickyge, ovaltine, larryi86 and 20 others like this.
  6. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (3,311) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Good morning BA
    Nightshifts start tonight. Gearing down for a nap...
    [​IMG]
    Look at the head on that beer. First one from the pack that I've poured into a glass. Cheers all!

7. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (7,098) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

Bottled 21 months ago (time flies!), this is my last CBS on hand.

[​IMG]

Drinking beautifully this morning. Glad I cracked it. Cheers!

Lulah, Hiwattowner, mickyge and 35 others like this.
  8. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (8,547) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Block 15 Brewing Co. -- Sticky Hands

[​IMG]

9. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (3,311) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

My Monday closer...
    [​IMG]
    Stroh's brewed in Milwaukee and bourbon from Ohio. Strange times.

Cheers all and enjoy your Monday!

10. ElGabRyan

ElGabRyan Crusader (793) May 10, 2013 New Jersey

11. Justonemore91

Justonemore91 Zealot (551) Nov 24, 2018 New York
    Trader

Good afternoon advocates and happy Monday. Getting into some monkish. Just more spectacular hop juice cheers
    [​IMG]

12. beergoot

Society Trader

Everybody's Brewing -- Mountain Mama (courtesy of @Mister_Faucher)

[​IMG]

3.46/5 rDev 0%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Beautiful yellow gold body; fair amount of yeast sediment clouding the appearance; excellent thick and sticky white head. Minimal smell; mainly light grain. Decent flavors; diluted citrus juiciness; very mild bread crust; fair hop bitterness. Relatively heavy mouthfeel yet flat and watery; mild citrus acidity; semi-sweet.

There was no canning or packaging date found on the can. The beer is drinkable yet unremarkable.
    --------------
    ...gonna have a beer finger and hot wing brunch with Rocket the Wonder Dog...

13. beergoot

Society Trader

Who made the Ohio bourbon? Tom Foolery?

LarryV, jkblr and hottenot like this.
  14. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Head High an excellent AIPA from Kane Brewing one of the best breweries in NJ

mickyge, ovaltine, Ocalafox and 17 others like this.
  15. BEERMILER12

BEERMILER12 Poo-Bah (4,019) Sep 11, 2010 Maine
    Society

16. beergoot

Society Trader

Balebreaker -- Bottomcutter (another quality quaff by way of @Mister_Faucher)

[​IMG]

Samldc, Hiwattowner, mickyge and 29 others like this.
  17. Bluecrow

Bluecrow Poo-Bah (2,066) Jul 16, 2012 New York
    Society

Zed Lupulin DIPA from KCBC
    [​IMG]

18. ElGabRyan

ElGabRyan Crusader (793) May 10, 2013 New Jersey

19. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (6,631) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] A little Kettlehead before I mow and weed wack. Cheers all.

20. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,758) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

21. BB1313

BB1313 Poo-Bah (4,684) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

Toppling Goliath - Intergalactic Warrior IPA (16oz can).. cheers!

mickyge, superspak, larryi86 and 17 others like this.
  22. Justonemore91

Justonemore91 Zealot (551) Nov 24, 2018 New York
    Trader

Monkish riffs. Double Dry Hopped Double IPA with Citra & Galaxy hops. Cheers
    [​IMG]

23. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (2,006) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Lunch beer, another Cumbre Acclimated. 8 mile run earlier, before the heat hits. Just another 90 degree day here on the Front Range. Good for the garden though.
    I still miss John Prine. Only saw him once, live, in Austin - but he's one of the greatest song-writers of the last 40-50 years in my opinion (whether or not you like his voice).

Cheers!
    [​IMG]

24. Thankin_Hank

Thankin_Hank Poo-Bah (1,982) Nov 18, 2013 Texas
    Society

Went to the store today for the first time in months?? It was fairly empty at the 8 AM hour. Grabbed some tall boys I haven't had and brought them home with a sixer of 40th Anniversary that turned out to be 6 months old??
    The Tropic Of Thunder turned out good in spite of being 3 months old.

[​IMG]

Starting early today. Got a new CD from Josh Ritter.

Hiwattowner, Reef, mickyge and 28 others like this.
  25. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (2,006) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Nice - never heard of this guy (Josh Ritter). Yeah, I probably do live under a rock sometimes. Good discovery - thanks for sharing. Puttin that on my listening list.

LarryV, hottenot and Thankin_Hank like this.
  26. beergoot

Society Trader

Budweiser -- Bud Light

[​IMG]

...with Lowell George...

Samldc, Hiwattowner, Reef and 26 others like this.
  27. SawDog505

Society

[​IMG] Not a sour fan, but this nice.

Hiwattowner, Maltyhead, Reef and 28 others like this.
  28. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (3,538) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Starting off with some Six Year from Finback. Cheers, advocates!!!
    [​IMG]

Hiwattowner, Reef, mickyge and 28 others like this.
  29. snaotheus

snaotheus Poo-Bah (6,113) Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Society Trader

Kicking off yet another day of SIP Fest 2020 with Alesmith's Forgeberry.
    [​IMG]
    It's fine. It tastes like a kettle sour with raspberry juice added to it. At least the kettle sour flavor isn't overwhelming, I really don't enjoy that.

Activity today is approaching the end game of my wife's birthday cake -- crumb coat done and waiting for the whole thing to cool down for final frosting and decoration. Going to need to make a little more frosting, though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No music at the moment -- although Mrs. snaotheus and I took today and tomorrow off, the kids are still "in school," and it's best not to offer them distractions.

Hiwattowner, Reef, mickyge and 26 others like this.
  30. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Poo-Bah (2,776) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Society Trader

31. Thankin_Hank

Society

Heard it here >> @KHYI.com "The Range" Josh has more.

32. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (5,980) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

[​IMG] Cheers!

Hiwattowner, Reef, mickyge and 27 others like this.
  33. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (5,980) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

[​IMG]

Cheers!

Hiwattowner, Reef, mickyge and 23 others like this.
  34. beergoot

Society Trader

Urban Chestnutt -- #6

[​IMG]

3.24/5 rDev -14.1%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Revisited June 15th, 2020

Original ratings: 3.75 3.5 3.0 3.0 3.0

head is thicker, stickier, longer lasting. More mainstream AAL scents; light malt. Still a light and indistinct beer taste. The body is light with a modicum of body.

Some general improvements this go around, yet still a mediocre AAL...
    ------------
    Outstanding pale straw yellow body; minimal carbonation; thin, white head; patchy fingers of foam stick to the glass. Fair aroma; a little honey and corn. Some bright sweetness to the taste and a bit of bitterness appearing towards the finish; a touch of adjunct corn taste is also in the mix. Light body; thin yet crisp; semi-dry.

Even for an adjunct lager, this beer is pretty mediocre, especially when it comes to taste and mouthfeel. I can see this being a decent beer for a summer cookout or a ball game or at the beach.

May 23, 2020
    -----
    Believe I picked this piece of vinyl up at WOM (aka World of Music off the Ku'Damm) in then West Berlin back in the late 80s...

Hiwattowner, Maltyhead, Reef and 28 others like this.
  35. Thankin_Hank

Society

#600 rating/review. Another new beer for Monday. More California beer. Pretty much a Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Light but damn good. Wifey is making the Cincinnati Chili today.

[​IMG]

36. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (3,538) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Ain't Nothing Nice from Other Half. We'll see about that. I wish I could rely on my ratings/reviews, but I simply can't. I have too many that I need to log right now, but I'm not inspired. I've lost so many beers over the years because I'm simply not keeping score. Peace to whatever is in your glass!!! I love you.
    [​IMG]
    Shorty, let me tell you 'bout my only vice
    It has to do with lots of loving and it ain't nothing nice...

Hiwattowner, Maltyhead, Reef and 27 others like this.
  37. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (3,127) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

We love Josh Ritter.
    Heres one of my favorites
    Cheers

38. JamFuel

JamFuel Poo-Bah (8,114) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden
    Moderator Society

[​IMG]

The U.K have a lot of very interesting breweries, many doing cool stuff with IPAs. This is a west coast IPA by Pressure Drop from London. Good bitterness and the classical grapefruit and pine notes, but a softness and balance that makes it very drinkable.

Hiwattowner, Reef, mickyge and 25 others like this.
  39. SawDog505

Society

[​IMG] Does this count as lawn mower beer? NEDIPA from Kettlehead.

Hiwattowner, Reef, mickyge and 25 others like this.
  40. snaotheus

snaotheus Poo-Bah (6,113) Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Society Trader

Beer 2
    [​IMG]
    Black Project's Tombstone.

This is a nice sour.

Hiwattowner, Reef, mickyge and 24 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.