What beer are you drinking now? #3422

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by AzfromOz, Mar 4, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AzfromOz

AzfromOz Aspirant (267) Aug 22, 2020 Australia
    Trader

Good evening from a thundery, humid, storm-ripe southern Australia. It's Friday night and we're playing cricket against Pakistan over there right now, and this is the first time in 24 years we've done so. So while the world Falls apart in Europe, bridges are being rebuilt on the subcontinent. What interesting times in which we live.

Tonight's beer is from Maltgarden, a Polish brewer that has a repertoire that seems to include juicy IPAs and little else. But I suppose if that's what the market demands then who are they to argue? This one has some experimental hops in it and while initially bland and puzzling, eventually the lights came on and I realised it was lychee I was tasting. With that piece of the puzzle in place the beer blossomed and became an enjoyable, creamy, pillow-soft ride. I like pillows, enjoyment and lychees, so I guess I'm in luck!

Cheers!

[​IMG]

2. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,798) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Society Trader

Drinking Chimay Tripel… Cheers!

[​IMG]

3. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (4,913) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Good day BAs! Thanks, @AzfromOz for starting off today's thread! It's currently 11 degrees F here, supposed to get above freezing again today! Soon it's off to help my son prepare his house for his GF and her kids.
    Today's New Breakfast Beer is a survivor from last November's TX trip, one that's been lurking in the depths of Beer reefer #1, waiting to attack. Whoops! I haven't uploaded the pix yet. There.

[​IMG]

I'm not big on watermelon brews so I wasn't expecting to like this one. No surprise. Rating 3.55, rDev +0.9%.

4. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (2,006) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Howdy.
    The usual, pre-run, after some insomnia and some course prepping for the day. Have a good one and I'll see you this afternoon for happy hour. :wink:
    Cheers!

[​IMG]

5. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Poo-Bah (1,825) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society

There is a thread in the West Coast folder related to the Top "Hopmaker" California Breweries. I haven't had them all, but have been exposed to enough old/new school to have AleSmith on my list (this beer and .394 Pale Ale, among others). Beachwood (my #1), Green Cheek, Heretic, Kern River, Russian River and Sierra Nevada would be there as well.

AleSmith IPA

[​IMG]

Old School and New School
    Big and Small
    There is room for All

6. tolar111

tolar111 Crusader (768) Aug 17, 2008 New York
    Trader

Drinking Fiddlehead IPA

[​IMG]

7. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (4,320) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Good morning BAs! No dogs nor chores today so I slept in, then took a walk around the RV park in sunny 77° weather…coffee time - “Happy Alone” an imperial oat stout finished on coffee, Tahitian vanilla beans, cinnamon and milk sugar:

[​IMG]

No canning date. A recent Tavour purchase. Poured at 50°. Inky black with no ruby edges; two fingers of light brown and cinnamon head consisting of mixed rocks; very good cap retention; heavy ring; lasting soapy lacing; thin legs. Strong coffee nose with chocolate in the mix. Taste follows with some vanilla, cocoa nibs and a sprinkle of cinnamon on the finish. Full minus body,
    moderate minus carbonation, dusty dry tongue coating; no warmth from 8.4% abv. Overall an excellent coffee stout with a tasty bitter roast coffee linger; maybe not as well balanced as FBS, but certainly more coffee.

4.75 | 4.5 | 4.75 | 4.5 | 4.5
    Score: 4.62 rDev +14.1%

I’ve enjoyed the few beers from Anchorage, by way of Tavour, that I’ve had and will definitely buy more. Cheers from Lake Wales, FL and have a fab Friday y’all!

#7 DoctorZombies, Mar 4, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
  8. Shanex

Society Trader

Rince cochon Rouge (Red) and missus gets what’s left in the 500ml can, so half of it.

[​IMG]

9. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,803) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Bud this morning and possibly a few more as my day progresses.

10. tolar111

tolar111 Crusader (768) Aug 17, 2008 New York
    Trader

Drinking Bud, if it's good enough for @Squire it's good enough for me

[​IMG]

11. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Meyvn (1,164) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Happy Friday BA's

Sun is shining and the temp is around 30 degrees, and warmer tomorrow - Sunday....yea!

Picked this up this morning after our doggo walk, a cascadian dark ale, or black IPA, or ?
    Had it before - pretty tasty!

[​IMG]

another pretty sunrise here on the north coast

[​IMG]

12. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Meyvn (1,298) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

I'm starting off the day with a beer I was very excited to see when I bought a mixed sixer this morning. Victory Berry Monkey, a fruited sour tripel. It's a new beer from my favorite brewery. It's got a lighter aroma than taste. Berries and tartness are dominant with lingering raspberries. I rated it 4.29, Victory has another winner.

13. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (8,541) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Surly Brewing Co. -- Barrel-Aged Ten
    Old ale
    ABV: 10.5%; pouring temperature: 47 °F; bottling data: unknown

[​IMG]

3.59/5 rDev -15.7%
    look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Murky, reddish brown body; thin, fizzy head. Smell includes raisins, prunes, cocoa. Sweet and slightly bitter taste; cocoa and raisins; cinnamon and anise; boozy. Medium mouthfeel; a little thin tasting for the style; alcohol heat.

An okay anniversary ale. The rum barrel aging truly dominates things, perhaps overtaking things and upsetting the overall balance and depth. It's rather disjointed all around and lacks a deeper, more robust malt presence. Flavorful yet hot and thin.

14. CBlack85

CBlack85 Savant (940) Jul 12, 2009 South Carolina
    Trader

Unibroue Don de Dieu

[​IMG]

15. Ocalafox

Ocalafox Poo-Bah (1,811) May 17, 2016 Florida
    Society Trader

Happy Friday BA's....OT, laundry and other chores complete. Sixpoint Invisible Haze west coast IIPA as the wife makes salads for lunch. Fired up the solar pool heater today, current water temp 67 degrees. We have a 6-7 day streak of mid 80's coming up so we should gain some heat daily.
    [​IMG]

16. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,803) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Fortunately for me lunchtime and Bud time arrived at the same time.

17. Beer-Panda

Beer-Panda Defender (631) Mar 27, 2016 Netherlands

A Columbus Colosseum. Single hop blond IPA from Uiltje (Haarlem, NL).
    Cheers
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. BB1313

BB1313 Poo-Bah (4,684) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

Platform - Odd Future DIPA (can).. cheers!

19. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Meyvn (1,298) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

In my glass now is Iron Hill Russian Imperial Stout. A pint at 9.8% might mean naptime when it's done. It's a gorgeous beer, darkest brown with orange tinges around the edges. A thick khaki head that leaves beautiful lacing. Oh, and it tastes pretty good, too.

20. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,127) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

[​IMG]

Ten Sleep Double Tap Lager at Old Chicago. Prost!

21. brewskis

brewskis Poo-Bah (1,672) Jun 8, 2012 Indiana
    Society

Arclight World Between Worlds Imperial Stout w/ coconut at the source while I grab my bottles. Thick with 15 c’s, creamy, and loads of coconut. Huge decadent dark chocolate fudge presence. Pastry stout done right.
    [​IMG]

22. VodkaPong87

VodkaPong87 Initiate (168) Oct 9, 2020 Connecticut
    Trader

23. laketang

laketang Poo-Bah (1,536) Mar 22, 2015 Arizona
    Society

Have a great weekend folks

[​IMG]

A very nice blond!

24. Ocalafox

Ocalafox Poo-Bah (1,811) May 17, 2016 Florida
    Society Trader

Rotisserie chicken salad for lunch with an Other Half Double Space Cut DDHIIPA....
    [​IMG]

25. cbcrunch

cbcrunch Poo-Bah (2,317) Jan 21, 2012 Wyoming
    Society

Enjoying a Melvin Pale Ale with lunch.

[​IMG]

Cheers all....

26. Blogjackets

Blogjackets Meyvn (1,297) Nov 22, 2017 Ohio
    Society Trader

Hoppy Friday! I’m drinking a Tired Hands Thematical. Thanks to @JayORear

Cheers!
    [​IMG]

27. ATL6245

ATL6245 Meyvn (1,006) Aug 16, 2018 Georgia
    Society

Good after BA's weekend is almost here. Partaking of a Tucker Brewing Southern Heaven Hefeweizen 5.2= ABV. Cheers all!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (8,541) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Blackberry Farm Brewery -- Mountain Lager
    Vienna-style lager
    ABV: 5.1%; pouring temperature: 48 °F; canning data: U SHALL NOT PASS 11/04/21

[​IMG]

...we live in strange and ugly times...not the best of them, not the worst...definitely edgy...

29. brewskis

brewskis Poo-Bah (1,672) Jun 8, 2012 Indiana
    Society

Now at The Livery in Benton Harbor, MI enjoying a BBA Wee Ale aged in Four Roses barrels. Never been here but have always enjoyed their higher gravity offerings.
    Been a minute since I’ve had a wee heavy. Dark fruits, some apricot jam, some peat, some roasted malt, molasses, toasted brown bread, slight oak and bourbon. More barrel presence would definitely elevate this, but it’s still a very enjoyable beer.
    [​IMG]

30. ATL6245

Society

You ventured closer to my neck of the woods with that selection. I know where that brewery is but have not tried anything from there yet. People like their Saisons. I love Vienna Lager, how as that one (despite being 4 months old).

31. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (4,320) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Post lunch beer in the RV - “Captain’s Daughter” DIPA:

[​IMG]

Canned 1/25/22. I reviewed this beer 3 weeks ago and then it was a yeasty floaty mess, which I believe negatively influenced my overall scoring. Today’s beer is lovely to look at with good clarity. Still, it smells like cat pissy, garlicy grapefruit and the taste is skunky grapefruit. An example of what I don’t like in an IPA. Mosaic, imo, ruins another otherwise perfectly fine beer…stepping down from soapbox…Cheers gang!

32. ATL6245

Society

That a strong start or is a finish in France. Heck I don't know, I'm time zone challenged. Cheers! :slight_smile:

33. ATL6245

Society

70°F on the nose right now and sunny. Sweet! Enjoying a Paulaner Helles out of the ample 16.9 oz can. Cheers!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

34. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Meyvn (1,164) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Hey BA's

Back from another walk with a friend on our local Ohio + Erie Canal Towpath trail - 5.35 miles today so far.....time to hydrate

[​IMG]

the trail - stretches from Cleveland - south through Akron area where I am, on south to New Philly etc - great resource

[​IMG]

trailside pupster

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

35. Shanex

Society Trader

I am too, Atlanta dude!

:wink:

36. ATL6245

Society

Lol! Excellent choice of tune my friend!

champ103, Monkeyknife, eppCOS and 8 others like this.
  37. Beer-Panda

Beer-Panda Defender (631) Mar 27, 2016 Netherlands

Avalanche. West Coast IPA from Cierzo (Spain).
    Cheers!
    [​IMG]

38. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (5,977) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

39. mickyge

mickyge Poo-Bah (1,948) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society

Howdy BAs
    Pretty sunny in these parts today
    [​IMG]

40. VABA