What Beer Are You Drinking Now? #3429

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by AzfromOz, Mar 11, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AzfromOz

AzfromOz Aspirant (265) Aug 22, 2020 Australia
    Trader

It's Friday!

And to add to the celebration I had my 20-month post-cancer all-clear today, so I deserve this extremely tasty NEIPA from Stoic Brewing, located an hour or so south of Sydney in Australia. This one looked like a Pina Colada, smelled like white rum and pineapple, and presented strawberries, watermelon and spicey pineapple on the tongue. The mouthfeel was thick and unctuous and perfectly suited the rest of the package. A very tasty beer!

So 20 months on I am still here and still drinking beer, so fuck you, cancer.

cheers!

[​IMG]

2. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,797) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Society Trader

Howdy errr, Good day Aussie mate!

Yeet, I am again drinking Leffe Tripel. Nowhere the quality other Belgian triples can be, still a worthy and cheap one.

We’re Friday by the way. Vendredi or Freitag. Best day of the friggin week. TGIF!

Yesterday evening I was hanging out at a friends place for a few cold ones, and he asked if I could buy him this bottle of rum this morning, which I just did. I don’t know much if anything about rum but he seems to like it…

[​IMG]

Cheers!

3. AzfromOz

Trader

You should never be ashamed to drink a Leffe!

Cheers!

4. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Meyvn (1,296) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

Congratulations on being cancer free. I had esophageal cancer in 2008, with stage IV recurrences in 2011 and 2019. I know how good it feels to get clean test results back. Enjoy your beer you deserve it.

Good on you and FUCK cancer.

5. AzfromOz

Trader

Thanks buddy! Good luck with your journey too!

Cheers!

6. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (4,906) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Good day BAS! Thanks, @AzfromOz, for starting today's thread and congratulations on your recent cancer-clear rating. Indeed, FUCK CANCER!

Today's New Breakfast Beer, a polite IPA made with Hallertau and Mandarina hops:

[​IMG]

Really nice use of hops - at six months old this is still very drinkable as well as desirable. If the hops have died off, this must have been really aggressive when fresh. Rating 3.5, rDev -9.1%

7. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (2,004) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Ok dokey - one last NA/UA Choco-malt thingy.
    Work. Then off to the mountains.
    I'll check in tomorrow.... hopefully! :wink:
    Cheers....

[​IMG]

8. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (7,089) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

@AzfromOz thanks for kicking off the thread, and congratulations!

I'm kicking off my Horns Up Friday with a little "juice" while cooking breakfast. :grinning:

[​IMG]
    Wandering Into the Fog

Very appropriate for a thickly foggy New England morning. Cheers!

\m/ \m/

9. JoeBloe

JoeBloe Defender (640) Nov 16, 2007 New York

10. tolar111

tolar111 Crusader (767) Aug 17, 2008 New York
    Trader

Drinking Guinness, because it's that time of year

[​IMG]

This is from yesterday, heavy wet snow, mostly melted today

[​IMG]

11. craigbelly

craigbelly Poo-Bah (1,673) Dec 31, 2015 Iowa
    Society Trader

Let's get this weekend started. This truly is a breakfast beer.
    Untitled Art - Black & Blue Chocolate Chip Pancake Stout.

[​IMG]

12. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Meyvn (1,162) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Back from earlier hike w/ Emma

Enjoying a small pour of this, before I take my Mom to eye doctor for follow up.....

[​IMG]

another lovely sunrise

[​IMG]

Your friend has good taste in rum - this sailor named Jerry fully approves! Haha!

[​IMG]

13. Ocalafox

Ocalafox Poo-Bah (1,807) May 17, 2016 Florida
    Society Trader

Normal day off stuff complete, threw in a haircut today. Another rainy warm day here, everything is covered with yellow pollen and nasty as hell. The pool deck feels like is squishes underneath your feet. Crooked Stave Trellis Buster IPA. Don't forget the time change tomorrow night.....
    [​IMG]
    Swing by Ocala and I'll do it!!

14. Shanex

Society Trader

Nice! And yes he’s more a rum drinker than the beer connoisseur I claim to be. :slight_smile:

Though I introduced him to beers for many years now and he does appreciate the more Blonde or pale ale style…. Cheers!

15. Ocalafox

Society Trader

I agree and love you guys! We lost my wife's brother Ernie In Jan 2020 to throat cancer. He and I had so many plans for when we were both retired, build us a cabin in NH, hunt, fish, camp, drink beer, etc......all stolen from us. I've been seen around town more than once wearing this tee shirt and always get thumbs up.......
    [​IMG]

16. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,626) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

Great news!
    Fuck you cancer!

17. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,626) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

It's 36 degrees and snowing. Looks like no golf for me today.
    The fallback plan is to drink beer and watch college basketball.

[​IMG]

18. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Poo-Bah (1,822) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society

The first of three planned Firestone Walker cellar beers this weekend.

Firestone Walker Helldorado (2017)

[​IMG]

Full review here. WBAYDN treatment, sweeter and more malty than expected at this stage, though it all comes together well, and I enjoyed the honey aspect.

First go at "Horns Up Friday", will give you two "oldies" selections from the OG Horns Up from the world of Metal.

Ronnie James Dio

The Last In Line

Rainbow in the Dark

#18 ChicagoJ, Mar 11, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
  19. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (8,530) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

...good news and, I hope, it will always be so...

20. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

Back with an afternoon sipper.

[​IMG]

Cheers to @ChicagoJ throwing the horns up with me! I'm also throwing it back a little bit - to an album that was released before my wife was born! :astonished:

\m/ \m/

This song has been in my head for two days. If my recovery were going quicker (it's going well, just not quick), I'd be in the basement jamming on my electric bass (this is not a song that I think would go well on the acoustic bass, even mechanically). It'll have to wait.

Cheers!

21. Shanex

Society Trader

[​IMG]

22. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (3,294) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Good afternoon BA
    I'm off today and errands are complete. Shall we...
    [​IMG]
    I'm normally full of shenanigans this time of year, but I've been working 60-70 hours a week and I'm not as young as I used to be...
    I would recommend both here individually and as a pairing. Busker Single Pot Still is tasty and smooth and it mixes well with the toast, toffee and caramel of the St. Fatty's.
    Cheers all!

23. Ocalafox

Society Trader

The wife made some awesome "whiz" cheesesteaks for lunch! Enjoying a Starchild IPA from Frost.
    [​IMG]

24. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Aspirant (244) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania

Great fallback plan tbh, worse things in life! I just closed the biggest order I have had at work since pre-pandemic, and I am scowering the beer store after work to celebrate the occasion. Taking all reccomendations on anything new people have been impressed with recently.

25. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (5,971) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

Watching Big Ten : Illinois vs Indiana.

prepping for March Madness.

[​IMG]

Cheers!

26. AzfromOz

Trader

Thanks to each of you for your kind words: @Ozzylizard, @Roguer,@Ocalafox, @lordofthewiens and @beergoot. I know that when I was battling the motherfucker every kind word helped, and they still do!

@Ocalafox, funnily enough, I was wearing my fuck cancer t-shirt the other day and for the first time ever I felt self-conscious wearing it! Maybe it's far enough in my past that the emotion of the time has subsided, and now I'm aware that I'm wearing some harsh language in public... Didn't, and won't, stop me wearing it again, though! I'm sorry for your loss, though. It really is a fucker of a disease - uncaring, unthinking and utterly random. I had a very similar cancer, too.

Cheers!

27. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Meyvn (1,162) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Back from Mom's eye doc appointment and lunch....what else to do but drink some beers and wait for the rain / snow that is coming......sigh!

Nice local DIPA fresh treat!

[​IMG]

28. VABA

Society

Right game, could have gone either way. Big Ten quarter teams are all solid. Next up Rutgers vs Iowa.

[​IMG]

Cheers!

29. VABA

Society

Great news! Cheers!

30. Beer-Panda

Beer-Panda Defender (630) Mar 27, 2016 Netherlands

Edinburgh ElDorado. Single Hop IPA from Uiltje. Canned three days ago.
    Cheers
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

31. beergoot

Society Trader

...hoisting a few to celebrate @AzfromOz's good news today...

Maine Beer Co. -- King Titus
    Porter
    ABV: 7.5%; pouring temperature: 47.3 ℉; bottling data: 08Feb22
    Auxiliary vice beverage: Black Forest Distillery -- Mashbuild #11; blended straight bourbon; 100 proof
    Auxiliary vice miscellany: Kristoff Maduro

[​IMG]

4.25/5 rDev +2.7%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Deep, dark brown body, opaque; thick, spongy, rocky head. Light, soft chocolate notes on the nose; a bit of roasted grain. Excellent taste; chocolate and cocoa nibs; some interesting spiciness; mild to moderate bitterness. Heavy body, smooth and slick; slippery residual sugars slide along the palate; generally sweet mouthfeel overall.

I have no idea how old my 2019 review bottle was, but this one is pretty fresh, so perhaps that's why my ratings have bumped up a bit. This is a solid, no-nonsense dark ale, rich and tasty, with great eye appeal.

---------------------------------------

Original June 08th, 2019 ratings and overall score: 4.0 4.25 4.0 4.0 4.0 (4.06)

The pour appears clear and dark brown; head is dense and creamy with a light khaki color. Excellent roasted and charred grain aroma; fresh ground coffee; bitter chocolate. The flavor encompasses milk chocolate and cocoa; some fine hop bitterness slightly undercutting the low-key sweetness. Medium-heavy body; thick and velvety; semi-sweet heaviness.

This porter is a well-crafted, gently sweet and heavy dark ale. There is plenty of complexity and depth with no glaring imbalance. It delivers warmth and gently sweet charred goodness. A fine beer...

32. VABA

Society

33. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (3,852) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Moderator Society Trader

Race tomorrow? If so, good luck!!

34. mickyge

mickyge Poo-Bah (1,945) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society

Excellent! good luck for future tests. Cheers.

35. mickyge

Society

Cheers to you!

36. mickyge

Society

We literally just watched that movie, pretty entertaining, Equalizer lite.

37. LesDewitt4beer

LesDewitt4beer Meyvn (1,226) Jan 25, 2021 Minnesota
    Society

Happy Friday Advocates! and cheers to @AzfromOz for todays "Shag Off Cancer Day" here. Positive vibes goin' out! I just jumped off my treadmill after a brilliant 5.5 mile rip and figured a Lake Monster Como Claw Pilsner is in order. The last one in the fridge. It has a beautifully buttery/malty aroma. Single digit temps & windy here. Warmer tmrw and I hope to be running outdoors by midweek. Seems almost like a fantasy! :beers::beers:Cheers! Beers! Keep on smiling!
    [​IMG]

38. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

Back to some hops this afternoon.

[​IMG]

Cheers!

\m/ \m/

39. beergoot

Society Trader

Blackberry Farm Brewery -- Mountain Lager
    Vienna-style lager
    ABV: 5.1%; pouring temperature: 28.2 ℉(!); canning data: U SHALL NOT PASS 11/04/21

[​IMG]

40. VodkaPong87

VodkaPong87 Initiate (167) Oct 9, 2020 Connecticut
    Trader

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.