What beer are you drinking now? #3435

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by barneyrubble, Mar 17, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barneyrubble

barneyrubble Devotee (419) Aug 21, 2020 Colorado

Happy St. Patrick's day. And to start the morning off I am enjoying a Founders - Dirty Bastard.

Yea, an Irish beer later, maybe.

[​IMG]

2. AzfromOz

AzfromOz Aspirant (267) Aug 22, 2020 Australia
    Trader

'Morning @barneyrubble, or evening, as it is here.

Today's beer is Neverland Sour IPA from Dangerous Ales in Milton, which is on the New South Wales south coast, a couple of hours south of Sydney.

My cancer treatment means that I can't taste sour food or drink properly anymore - I get a flat, bland bitterness but none of the tang that sour food brings. So while this beer isn't doing much for me, I can taste lemon and what I now recognise as tart sourness on the palate, as well as some light bitterness. I don't know that I'd call it an IPA, sour or otherwise, though.

Still, drinking sours that I can't taste properly is better than being dead, so it's got that going for it!

Cheers!

[​IMG]

3. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,798) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Society Trader

Happy St Patrick’s day advocates. Figured I’d start of the day with this fine Stout from Eire…

[​IMG]

Cheers paddy mates!

4. tekstr1der

tekstr1der Meyvn (1,484) Nov 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Society

Off to conquer Mt. Jefferson today and wrap up this journey, hopefully with 2 days to spare. Weather forecast has deteriorated from last night's rather good one. Very warm at least, but visibility an issue.

[​IMG]

Anyone hanging out on here between ~1pm-3pm EDT - that's when I plan to be above treeline on the summit approach - can check the live view:

5. Jack_14

Jack_14 Devotee (413) Nov 2, 2019 Italy
    Trader

Good morning Advocates and happy St. Patrick!
    today surely a nice Irish beer I open it before going to the stadium tonight, I like The White Hag, Lough Gill and I still have two Boyne Imperial Stout Sherry Barrel Aged in the home cellar.
    In the meantime, I'm sending you this:

Shire Brewing (Pomezia, Lazio, ITA) at BiRen (Dosso, Emilia Romagna, ITA) - Gelbe Straße - Zwickel Pils (5%)

44 cl can
    Lot: R019-21 "To be consumed preferably by: 09/24/2022".
    The traditional hops used are shown on the label and are: Hallertau Mittelfrüh, Tettnanger and Hallertau Tradition.
    As soon as you know the can, notes of malt reminiscent of dried ears of wheat and a light herbaceous scent.
    Poured into the jug it is beautiful: golden in color, transparent, but not entirely, with an abundant foam, soft and of the right consistency: as if it had been tapped from the plug rather than poured from the can.
    The scents of bread crust become more evident.
    In the mouth, the notes of durum wheat, bread crust and crumb are in perfect balance with that herbaceous, light and rustic (not woody to be clear) note that dries the drink leaving a minimum but perceptible bitterness on the tongue, while on the palate they remain pleasant notes of cereal that call the next sip.
    BiRen is a safety on low fermentations, instead it is the first I drink of Shire brewing and I realized after choosing it that it was a collaboration ... a great job came out ...
    Most likely at a "blind tasting" (ie just tasting it, without knowing what beer it is) I would say it is a German Keller, although it came out perfectly in style, in my opinion.
    Too bad it was the last can in the fridge of the Buskers Pub.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Slàinte !!!
    Cheers !

6. Shanex

Society Trader

Shipyard American IPA.

New one to me and that I’ve never seen posted here from Portland, Maine.

500ml bottle BBD is October 2022. 5% ABV and found at the local mall here.

Pretty good.

[​IMG]

Cheers!

7. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Meyvn (1,298) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

I've had cancer three times and I've been on four different chemo regimens. One, Folfox, completely destroyed my sense of taste. It took a while, probably near a year after it ended, until I could enjoy eating and drinking again. But that's the distant past and my sense of taste is perfectly normal now. Hopefully, it just takes you a little time to get it back.

8. Beer-Panda

Beer-Panda Defender (631) Mar 27, 2016 Netherlands

La Trappe Blond.
    Greetings from the Netherlands
    [​IMG]

9. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (7,097) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

Good morning, BAs! Joining @barneyrubble with a Founders to kick off the day.

[​IMG]
    KBS Hazelnut

Cheers!

10. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,803) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

No green colored beer for me today, I like my Bud uncut.

11. Blogjackets

Blogjackets Meyvn (1,297) Nov 22, 2017 Ohio
    Society Trader

Before, During, and after Dinner Blend by Evil Twin Brewing - a delicious coffee stout - with Lagavullin steel coat oats. Cheers for St. Patrick. Sláinte!

[​IMG]

12. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Poo-Bah (2,775) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Me and ted are carb loading to keep our strength up for today. Happyst Patrick's day[​IMG]You don't know what you're missing
    [​IMG]

13. Shanex

Society Trader

Barista, I have never forgotten about it but didn’t remember it being this strong. 11%, go big or go home. Sort of our Founders Breakfast Stout although a quad here…

[​IMG]

14. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Poo-Bah (1,825) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society

My mother's maternal grandmother (O'Neill), fully responsible for my 1/8th Irish heritage, was born within a block of this famous brewery. I've had hundreds of properly poured pints of the standard pour, but never this version, so what better time than Saint Patrick's Day to rectify this omission.

Beer inspired by @champ103 's selection earlier this week.

Guinness Extra Stout

[​IMG]

Bottle Notes:
    11.2 oz, 5.6% ABV. Traditionally brewed, Saint James Gate, Dublin. Product of Ireland. Date code L287GD004 (Bottled October 14, 2021), just over 5 months from today. Six pack purchased 3/16/22 for $9.99, purchased at store room temperature, refrigerated overnight.

Intense, characterful and bold, Guinness Extra Stout is the pure expression of our brewing legacy. Bittersweet, with subtle hints of hops, dark fruits and caramel, this stout is a testament to great brewing.

Appearance: Dark brown chestnut base, generous full bubble based creamy head leaves spotty lacing after slowly receding, and a creamy rich cover over the base. Looks like a black cow. 4.0

Aroma:
    Roast malt, milk chocolate, medium strength. Floral hops and milk secondary. 3.75

Taste:
    Bitter roast malt and hops take center stage, hops bite hard on this, which I appreciate. Roast malt pleasant, light cocoa sweetness emerges to battle back, but resistance to bitterness is futile. 3.5

Mouthfeel:
    Bitter and dry overall. While I miss the creamy nitro body of the standard version, I enjoy the hoppy bitter feel of this offering. Faint fizzy carbonation holds on throughout. Packs a punch for 5.8%, feels a bit stronger, clean finish. 4.0

Overall:
    The heavy bitter hops presence is the star of this version. Would have appreciated more taste complexity, the dry bitterness overwhelming individual taste components beyond the roasted malt and backing cocoa. Good offering. Really motivated to do a side by side with the standard version at this point. 3.75

Sinead O'Connor - Molly Malone

15. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,629) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

I'm making seitan for dinner tonight.
    First I'll join @Roguer with some KBS Hazelnut.

[​IMG]

16. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (2,006) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Yeah it's not very Irish of me, but another UA FL "Vice-uh" going down the hatch. Long day of grading ahead so trying to remain functional for the day; no run today, just chillin' and workin'
    Cheers to you!....

[​IMG]

17. TCgenny

TCgenny Devotee (472) May 26, 2021 New York
    Society

I like that the charms are splattered on the table. Well, this post is hilarious,,, hope you don’t mind I sent these pics to my wife & kids, who realize how twisted BA can be….
    [​IMG]
    At my house…. You get desperate enough… you eat this cereal at midnight, and live with the regrets….

18. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (2,593) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Happy St Pats!
    Off to work for a busy day at the restaurant. Will see you all for LNBA.
    Did this one year....killed it. CB Banh Mi -
    Smoked Corned Beef, Pickled Veg, Cilantro, Kewpie, Chicken Liver Pate.
    Purple Potato Salad.
    Cheers! Have a good day.[​IMG]

19. ATL6245

ATL6245 Meyvn (1,006) Aug 16, 2018 Georgia
    Society

Damn! Hopping @HoppingMadMonk broke out the Lucky Charms!!!!! Classic! Cheers!

20. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Poo-Bah (2,775) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Society Trader

The family size of elf cereal!! You don't mess around.
    It does create havoc on the old digestive system though

21. ATL6245

ATL6245 Meyvn (1,006) Aug 16, 2018 Georgia
    Society

Happy St. Patrick's Day. At the suggestion of @LarryV I chose Murphy's Stout to celebrate this most wonderful day. I tried twice to get that wonderful cascading stout shot but could not pull it off. Good thing these are 4 % ABV or I'd have a nice lunch buzz happening. Cheers to all BA's out there!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. BB1313

BB1313 Poo-Bah (4,684) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

Rhinegeist - Truth IPA (can).. cheers!

23. BEERMILER12

BEERMILER12 Poo-Bah (4,019) Sep 11, 2010 Maine
    Society

[​IMG]

Belleflower’s The Awakening Place

24. cbcrunch

cbcrunch Poo-Bah (2,317) Jan 21, 2012 Wyoming
    Society

Morning!
    Zonker Stout from Snake River

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,803) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Erin go Bragh. I'm watching Irish Whisky reviews on YouTube and drinking Bud.

26. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (7,097) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

Whipped up a quick lunch, which meant that I had time to prepare and pickle some jalapenos:

[​IMG]
    Skygazer / Tox Angel Colony

[​IMG]

Cheers!

27. Blogjackets

Society Trader

Maine Lunch on tap at Coles Pub. Ruebens coming. Cheers!

[​IMG]

28. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Meyvn (1,069) May 5, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

.....my wife doesn't care for the traditional corned beef and cabbage dinner, so that's a non--starter today, doesn't mean I cant have a tasty Reuben sammich, which I will wash down with Maggie's Irish Ale from Saugatuck!
    [​IMG]
    ....so enjoy what's in yer glass and fills yer ears.....Happy St. Paddy's Day!

29. Blogjackets

Society Trader

30. Blogjackets

Society Trader

Aline Nelson on tap. Belly is full.
    [​IMG]

31. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,808) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

A rainy late winter morning here here in North Kiribati, and as I am not Irish, Catholic, and hate man-made greens, I'm just drinking whatever the I want today. Starting with a beer I've had many of, but hadn't reviewed until now, Roger's Pilsner from Georgetown. A nicely enjoyable brew.

[​IMG]

32. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (5,977) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

Happy St. Patrick’s day!

[​IMG]

Cheers!

33. VABA

Society

[​IMG]

Cheers!

ps-Two of my picks are out, I picked against only one Big Ten team, the one that won (one of the other Big Ten teams lost in a great game).

34. oneeye

oneeye Disciple (326) Feb 17, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

No need for proper glassware. It’s a beautiful day in the neighborhood today! This Austrian/German would like to wish everyone a happy st. patty’s day to everybody out there celebrating today! Cheers ba!
    [​IMG]

35. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Poo-Bah (1,533) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia
    Society Trader

Happy St. Patrick’s Day BA!

I’ve got plenty Guinness on deck. And some beef & Guinness stew to make here in a bit.

But starting the day with a local blood orange ipa from Macon, GA on this beautiful day! Canned 3/10/22.

Sitting outside peering in the door watching some March Madness.

Fall Line Brewing — Grove Gator
    Blood Orange IPA

[​IMG]

Cheers.

36. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (8,541) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

River North Brewery -- Pils
    American pilsner
    ABV: 5.3%; pouring temperature: 48.9 ℉; canning data: CANNED ON 11/30/21

[​IMG]

...a nice intro to my beer consumption today...I purchased a bunch of local and regional beers earlier for a trade-in-progress with @Beersnake1 plus my first BIF (NBW-themed), and also have a bottle of 3 Founteinen Oude Geuze set aside for a toast to Armand Debelder (...the genius behind 3 Fonteinen recently passed away...)...and there's should be a stout (non-Irish) and Middleton Very Rare Irish whiskey pairing later today to commemorate St. Patrick's Day...

37. tolar111

tolar111 Crusader (768) Aug 17, 2008 New York
    Trader

Pre gaming with a Voodoo Juicy Haze

[​IMG]

The cops are already working the crowd

[​IMG]

38. Prager62

Prager62 Poo-Bah (2,365) May 7, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

1 for the corned beef, 5 for me! I'm not listening to the message on the bottle cuz I want to use one of my cool glasses today.:sunglasses: Besides I wouldn't listen to anyone that puts safety instructions on the cap!:rofl:

[​IMG]

39. VABA

Society

40. VABA

Society

Awesome music!

mickyge, ChicagoJ, LarryV and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.