What beer are you drinking now? #934

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jaydoc, May 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (271) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

Smoked porter here...more smokiness in the aroma than in the taste.

[​IMG]

2. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,845) Dec 1, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I'm not drinking any beer tonight - I'm drinking Old Forester, an affordable but very respectable, smooth and tasty bourbon that has a subtle flavor of banana candy (runts????). Goes down easy neat or on a little ice.

Also I'm not taking pictures of it.

Seriously returning to the world of whiskey after many years away has really opened up my eyes and palate to the many subtle details of whiskey barrel aged beers and allowed me to get past the "oh no it's too hot and boozy" issue. I would heartily recommend a little exploration of the former to anyone into the latter. check out what was in those barrels before the beers!

3. Alpha309

Alpha309 Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2014 California

4. foundersfan1

foundersfan1 Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2014 Missouri

Some of my second favorite Imperial Stout to finish the night.

[​IMG]

5. Ccagno15

Ccagno15 Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2014 New York

6. Pantalones

Pantalones Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2014 Virginia

Last week was a lager kind of week for me, apparently -- I think all but one or two of the beers I had last week were lagers, including two Longboards plus Nooner, Tecate, and Negra Modelo. Heck, only one out of that bunch wasn't in the "yellow/gold" category of lagers, even.

This week things have shifted around a bit and it seems I'm feeling more like IPAs, which is an interesting change for me -- IPAs are a style I usually only drink occasionally, but between the last few bottles of the Devil's Backbone collaboration pack, the Kona variety pack, and the half a six-pack of the beer I'm drinking currently, I have more IPA variations in my fridge right now than anything else. XD

Here's what I have in front of me right now:

[​IMG]
    Second bottle of Stone IPA. Out of an actual pint glass this time rather than the old E.T. collectible glass from Pizza Hut that I drank one out of when I was back home visiting family last week, heh. I'm finding that I like IPAs that smell really good. This one has tons and tons of citrusy smell right away, a bit of piney/leafy as well, but the citrus really stands out to me. Flavor-wise there's a lot going on, it's hard to really get a full grasp on exactly what flavors are bouncing around here because it's not just the easy-to-describe citrus and piney/leafy. There's citrusy flavor, some piney flavor (though the citrus is definitely coming out ahead of the pine for me this time -- and I'm really liking it that way), some leafy/piney bitterness that hangs around afterward, a bit of that "walking in the woods" sort of thing I picked up the first time I had this one, something just a little bready/toasty that I think might be from the malt but it blends with the "woods" thing and the leafy bitterness and... yeah, to put it simply, this is really good. Something even reminded me a little of cinnamon for a second there, a nice sweet-spiciness that I hadn't been expecting at all... got it on my first sip, and again in the most recent sip, no idea where that's coming from, I assume some hops/malt/...yeast? combination doing odd things with my taste buds and creating the illusion of cinnamon since I know there's no actual cinnamon in here. XD

Basically, it's like the things I like so much about "regular" pale ales (like having several different flavors going on even though the hops are the most obvious, rather than just being a big ol' blast of hops without much else backing it up) scaled up to IPA-strength. Which would make sense, as that's what an IPA is supposed to be -- just a bigger, heavier, higher-ABV, hoppier version of a pale ale. I think I finally "get" IPAs and why so many people like them so much. Not going to abandon all other beer styles and exclusively drink IPAs now or anything (there's way too much good beer out there for that! and the sheer variety is one of the things I like the most about beer), but I feel like I've definitely developed more of an appreciation for them compared to when I first started branching out a little from what I'd had before, realizing that the bitterness wasn't so scary after all, and trying some of them out.

Struggling to find a bottling or best-by date, though I have found something that appears to read "6 (something incomprehensible) 15" in raised-from-the-bottle's-surface numbers down near the bottom. On another one I see "(something incomprehensible) 26 15." As June 2015 is definitely in the future, I'm assuming that means the best-by date must be 6/26/15, so I've still got well over a month to drink these fresh. I don't think the remaining two will last that long. They might already be gone within the next week, actually...

I was planning to write a review tonight since this is the second time I've had this beer, but I'm already 3/4 of the way down this glass without having even opened up the page to start my review -- which is a problem, considering that I like to write my reviews as I drink if at all possible rather than going back later! Whoops. Well, I suppose this is a preview to the very positive review that will inevitably come around the next time I can drink one of these without getting so distracted by drinking the beer that I don't remember I was going to write a review until the beer is nearly gone. XD

7. foundersfan1

foundersfan1 Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2014 Missouri

If I were in your position I would pick up Boulevard Brewing's The Calling if you ever see it. I saw Boulevard Brewing labels quite a few times when I lived outside of VA beach at "Grape & Gourmet"(the owners are very cool if you just call them to find out if they are carrying a brew), that is if you are close to the VA beach are.

JeremyDanner and JLaw55 like this.
  8. corby112

corby112 Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2008 Pennsylvania

9. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Poo-Bah (1,776) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This years Lancaster Kolsch is mighty fine.

Cheers!

10. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,978) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

About to watch Penny Dreadful, so something dark for something dark
    Sept 2013 Pepe Nero
    [​IMG]

11. deford

deford Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2013 California

12. Hoos78

Agreed

13. Hoos78

Your description of Hoptimum sounds much like I would describe GLBC Chillwave. How would you compare?

14. Pantalones

Pantalones Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2014 Virginia

Nowhere near Virginia Beach (more in the west-central mountainous area, near Lexington, maybe an hour's drive from Roanoke) but I have seen Boulevard's 80-Acre Hoppy Wheat and I think Double-Wide IPA on some store shelves before, so I know we get at least some of their beer around here.

I'll keep an eye out for that one the next time I head into the local beer/wine specific store, they seem to have a much wider selection than the grocery and gas-station stores do.

15. deford

deford Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2013 California

16. FatBoyGotSwagger

Society

17. Kuaff

Kuaff Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2013 Alaska

Wow! Unlike any other beer I've had. The similarity to black tea is striking, yet chocolate and earth are still there. I like it.

[​IMG]

18. FatBoyGotSwagger

Society

19. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

Tuesday ticks:

Noble I Love It!
    Avery Raspberry Sour

20. andersont6301

andersont6301 Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2014 Oregon

21. SoleBriety

SoleBriety Initiate (0) Oct 10, 2013 California

I can't get enough of these Ohio brews! Madtree did good on this IPA.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.