What beer are you drinking now? (Canada)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Mlkluther, Apr 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dabeerbuddha

dabeerbuddha Aspirant (285) Feb 4, 2016 Canada (ON)
    Trader

This was from last night. Grandma's Boy 2017. Less plum than the previous release and more tannin and acidity. A more serious barrel notes. Will definitely grab a couple more.

[​IMG]

Starting this evening off with some Oud Beersel. Loving the cedar funkiness!

[​IMG]

And the kriek version. I feel a Belgium evening coming on. The cellar should beware!

[​IMG]

#1241 dabeerbuddha, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  2. RoastBerry

RoastBerry Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2017 Canada (QC)

Eh, I do not like it that much.. almost tastes like Saison Brett. Little bit of caramel, apples, red fruits.. A LOT of brett, sour. Interesting.. to say the least.

[​IMG]

3. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (2,569) Mar 7, 2013 Canada (QC)
    Society Trader

Admittedly, I haven't tried that one but it sounds infected. No way that can be what they were going for with a BA Barleywine.

RoastBerry likes this.
  4. Jerk_Store

Jerk_Store Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2015 Canada (QC)

Looks great! Definitely the Quebec Jack's Abby! Even though I haven't even tried lol

TheDoctor likes this.
  5. pirate99gs

pirate99gs Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2014 Canada (QC)

Where did you pick it up? I had one myself, it was stellar, the price not so much

6. TheDoctor

Society Trader

Bierothèque. I'd rather pay for that than some other expensive cans we've discussed on here. On the other hand, their other beers have left much to be desired in comparison.

Jerk_Store likes this.
  7. Jerk_Store

Good to know

8. RoastBerry

Finally was able to taste this. Smoked malt, caramel, slight hop bitterness. Not too heavy or too sweet. Pretty good.

[​IMG]

9. andrenaline

andrenaline Poo-Bah (2,367) Nov 14, 2009 Canada (ON)
    Society

Loving the Old Rasputin bombers... Drinking extra quick out of my homemade Decadence bottle/glass!
    [​IMG]

10. RoastBerry

Jackleg from Le Prospecteur. Jack Daniel's and vanilla stout. I'm actually impressed. Vanilla, oak, Jack Daniel's, roasted malts.. this is delicious.

[​IMG]

11. CanadianBacon

CanadianBacon Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2015 Canada (QC)

Dunham's XXX Triple. I found this one to not be your standard Tripel. The nose was very floral and was accompanied by peaches, hay and some citrus and the taste was again floral almost like leafy greens with hay fluffy white bread and lemon rinds on the finish. Still an excellent beer all around and it is a perfect example of how Different beers within the same style can be.
    [​IMG]

Seany, andrenaline, TheDoctor and 2 others like this.
  12. CanadianBacon

My last beer of the night is by Lagabiere of St-Jean-Sur-Richelieu QC. This is their Ta Meilleure IPA brewed with Citra and El Dorado Hops! cheers guys!

[​IMG]

Seany, andrenaline, TheDoctor and 2 others like this.
  13. dabeerbuddha

Trader

Finally got to this one.
    Dark cherry sour. Vanilla. Barn wood. Vanilla lactose.
    Really nice brew. Half Pints can make a nice barrels sour! Very similar to Rodenbach which says a lot. Quite impressed. Thanks @TeemuWPG !

[​IMG]

TheDoctor, Seany, andrenaline and 2 others like this.
  14. Derek

Derek Poo-Bah (4,007) Apr 2, 2005 Canada (BC)
    Society

2015 Amsterdam Spring Bock...
    [​IMG]
    Great recipe! :wink:

15. CanadianBacon

Longslice Breweries - Hopsta La Vista. Just your average english IPA, they should have saved this name for a hopped up American IPA or DIPA. Cheers!

[​IMG]

RoastBerry, TheDoctor, VABA and 3 others like this.
  16. CanadianBacon

This has to be one of the most aromatic Milk stouts I've ever smelled Milk chocolate and coffee and vanilla and cinnamon and nutmeg holy crap! I regret not buying more! Cheers!

[​IMG]

17. Seany

Seany Initiate (173) Sep 27, 2005 Canada (QC)

18. RoastBerry

I can't lie, it was worth it.

[​IMG]

19. dabeerbuddha

Trader

TheDoctor, CurtisD, Coronaeus and 4 others like this.
  20. Derek

Society

Central City's Sour II Kriek. Realky great, on-par with the world's best!
    [​IMG]

21. CanadianBacon

New Teku, Montreal Beer Scene Representin!
    but seriously I love this glass :slight_smile:
    [​IMG]

TheDoctor, Derek, Seany and 2 others like this.
  22. CanadianBacon

Stopped by Microbrasserie Labrosse in Pointe-Claire today. They opened 4 weeks ago and are the first microbrewery on this side of the island of Montreal which is unbelievable. As i was leaving thanks to rain freezing over I cracked my head and forgot to take a picture of the outside but they are in an industrial area where you wouldn't expect to find a bar! Walk in and you find a Foosball table in a room that one of the owners told me they are turning into a game room. They have a 30 seat tasting area/bar

There was one patron passing through and a few locals who were all friendly and one of the owners Troy was bartending. He was a really great guy and knew his stuff and the Brew Master a young guy who's name was Dan (we never got around to names cuz he was leaving, but I saw on the site XD) asked me how they stacked up to Beau's, The beer's so far did well!

Sorry for all the reading but if your passing through or in Montreal take the trip to this place! considering they are 4 weeks old I see big things! Cheers!

The address is 133 Av Labrosse, Pointe-Claire QC, H9R 1A3

[​IMG]

TheDoctor, Seany and dabeerbuddha like this.
  23. dabeerbuddha

Trader

Finally got into this one.
    Very Belgian base beer. The barrel and the lychee notes are also there. Was surprised they could put it all together in one beer. Spice, breadiness, wine and fruit. It was a unique experience for sure.

[​IMG]

Coronaeus, Seany and CanadianBacon like this.
  24. Derek

Society

Driftwood Naughty Hildegard... it use to be better. This year it's very dank (Columbus?). It was never really an ESB, but this is a mediocre IPA.
    [​IMG]

TheDoctor, Coronaeus, Seany and 2 others like this.
  25. Jerk_Store

Having the Vox Pop IPA, quite impressed, comes in cans at a good price. If they can up the carbonation a bit, this might become a go-to beer for me :slight_smile:

26. MCBanjoMike

MCBanjoMike Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2014 Canada (QC)

I'll have to give this a try if I see it. I quite liked Anna (more than l'Herbe à détourne, if we're being honest) and I thought Double Fruit Punch was competent.

27. CanadianBacon

Being that I was the first to review their brewery and one of their beers on here I'll share the review with you guys! this is Pointe-Claire's Microbrasserie Labrosse' Hoppy, Eh? American IPA. It is their first go at an American IPA and when trying to compare it to anything I've tasted from the region. Arcane17 seems the closest. This is a Dank beer with Grapefruit pineapple and mango up front with a grassyness following mellowly behind the initial flavors. There is a big grainy hay like malt flavor up front as well and a sweet caramel to finish it off. Sorry for all the reading but these guys deserve the recognition.

[​IMG]
    Appearance - Poured from a 64 oz growler into a Teku Glass, This beer pours a hazy very thick juicy looking golden orange in color and had 2 fingers of bubbly slightly off white head. The head faded after 5-10 mins leaving a thick lacing over the top of the beer. Carbonation seems moderate. All in all this looks like a very inviting Cloudy IPA I really enjoy a cloudy american IPA and the only gripe I have here is I wish the head lasted longer but all in all this looks really nice!

Aroma - The nose on this one is different from other local IPA's as well. It's not a bitter bomb. I mean up front I get grapefruit and thats forsure but behind that there is mango and pineapple balancing a sweet citrus with the bitterness of the grapefruit and there is a slight orange peel aroma as well. Next up are the aromas from the malt and What I'm getting here is a hey/grain smell followed by a very sweet caramel. This seems really well balanced!

Taste - Again this is right up there with some of the better IPA's I've tasted but so different. Most Quebec Ipa's are juice bombs with a pine aftertaste and the malt does the balancing, (Yakima ipa/ Moralite) This one is rather dank, the closest thing for comparison would be Auval arcane17. You get grapefruit and pineapple up front with some mango just behind that then there is a really grassy hop behind that. the grainy malt is really apparent in it as well adding to the grassyness. And as on the nose it finishes off with a beautiful caramel sweetness. I am really enjoying this beer. I heard the next batch is slightly dryer. Guess we'll see.

Feel - This is on the heavier side of medium body but That gives it a sort of smoothness as it floats over your tongue with a vinyl like feel. There is a slight carbonation tingle but nothing major. This is your clean moderate feeling juice bomb IPA as far as mouth feel goes.

Overall - This beer is so different from what I normally find in this part of Montreal in terms of IPA's and as I stated the closest thing I've had to it was Auval Arcane17. It is Dank, and Citrusy and Grassy With a beautiful caramel on the end to help balance this beer, These guys have been open less than 5 weeks which is a statement to what they are accomplishing, and to still put out beers of this quality where they have no immediate competition shows you the love they have for the industry. If your on your way into Montreal and roll through Pointe-Claire. Make the stop and grab a glass of this beer, you wont be disappointed!

Seany, TheDoctor and dabeerbuddha like this.
  28. TheDoctor

Society Trader

Apparently it is the Citra IPA that they bottled in December. I am hoping that is the case, because it was excellent. If it was available in cans I'd buy it all the time.

VABA likes this.
  29. CanadianBacon

Weekend is starting, Sunday I'm gonna be meeting up with some Beer Reviewers from Instagram and working our way around some Ottawa area breweries, so that should be fun. In the mean time I'm sitting back with Le Castor's L'Eclipse Black IPA for the first time in a while. Cheers!

[​IMG]

TheDoctor, dabeerbuddha and Seany like this.
  30. Seany

31. CanadianBacon

Up until now I thought you were copying your instagram and pasting it into the image file using an uploader like photobucket but I just realized that your IG account was followable. This would make my life so much easier, how do you do this? XD

32. Seany

Copy the URL from IG and paste in the media button in the reply box. Hope that helps.

CanadianBacon likes this.
  33. CanadianBacon

Yeah I saw it just after asking thanks a ton! I'm gonna follow you as well I'm MikeyTero on IG. Cheers bud!

34. CanadianBacon

This one brings back good memories! happy PecheDay guys, Cheers!

35. TheDoctor

Society Trader

This is one mighty fine beer. Really easy drinking. I could get used to these...
    [​IMG]
    Santé!

36. Derek

Society

Peche day was great...
    [​IMG]
    I liked the Veniel a lot, but the regular Peche was the best, with the Bourbon a close second.

Today I had the FiftyFifty Woodford Reserve, and it wasn't as good (though some of their others have been better.

37. CanadianBacon

First beer is not what I'm drinking now but I had to share, Yesterday I toured Ottawa breweries with a group of beer reviewers from instagram! great experience and met some really cool people. Shane at BtP pulled out a bottle of pink funk for us to try and wow I wish i had gotten a full bottle of this stuff! that is one funky citrusy treat.

Now as for today I am now drinking a glass of Dunham's Cyclopse brewed with Mosaic and lemondrop hops it is a juice bomb! cheers!

38. CanadianBacon

Lug Tread in cans! YASSSSSS! Cheers!

The opposite of how I'm feeling but its Catchy! lol.

RoastBerry, dabeerbuddha and CurtisD like this.
  39. CanadianBacon

This is one hell of an IPA!, @TheDoctor I see what you meant about being able to get used to this. Next up I've got LTM's IPA. sounds like it should be a good day. Cheers guys!

RoastBerry, Seany, CurtisD and 2 others like this.
  40. dabeerbuddha

Trader

Peachy. Bretty. Mild sour. Refreshing. Big thanks to @JonCorbett ! Really liking this brew.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.