What beer are you drinking now? (November 2019)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by beertunes, Nov 1, 2019.

1. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (4,699) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

First up tonight was a Secret Stash from Widmer, an entirely serviceable IPA. Next was my last bottle from the 2014 release of Special Herbs ( yes, I have a problem, thank you much). After last weekend's mild disappointment that was the 2016, I was partly nervous, but boy, did this beer shine. Age amplified a mild honey note that worked brilliantly with the gin barrel and lemongrass. I don't think there is a better annual release in the US than this beer.

2. DefenCorps

Society Trader

Got to commend you on the mood lighting here.

3. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,064) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Just had a pint of Potzdorf Rauchbier from Santiam Brewing at a nearby taproom.

To borrow a descriptor from @DefenCorps, it is an "entirely serviceable" rauchbier. Rather bland, but solid and unflawed. I am glad I tried it, and I am happy to support breweries who dare to brew rauchbiers.

Rauchbier fans: If you see it, try it.

4. derftron

derftron Disciple (354) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

Bourbon Fred from the Stone. Yum

kemoarps, woemad, Lingenbrau and 2 others like this.
  5. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Devotee (463) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon

Opened up Deschutes Fresh Funk tonight. It says wild IPA, but it doesn’t say IPA to me. Bretty, tropical hops. Not tart at all, not bitter. It drinks nice, but it’s not my favorite.

6. weaverr

weaverr Initiate (171) Jun 10, 2008 Oregon

Friday was the Abyss day at Deschutes Portland. The taster tray included the regular 2019, Old World, Port, Rum, Cognac, and Rye barrels. 2019 in general is a great iteration of this classic beer. Port stood out to me for lending oaky and fruity notes without any unexpected funky flavors that can sometimes come out of Port barrels. Rye was a great balance of whisky character without whisky booziness. Rum stood out as being more boozy, but I suppose if you love rum this would be your thing. Cognac was mixed, felt like it took on a little funk from the barrel. Old World was enjoyable at first, very oaky, but ultimately felt way too peppery compared to the other blends.

Rye and Port were my favorite variants.

In other weekend adventures, I had Santiam's Pirate rum-barrel aged coconut stout. Whoa, this is an awesome beer. Tons of dark chocolate and coconut while maintaining bitter stout characteristics and not too sweet at all.

7. NWer

NWer Crusader (783) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

Picked this up on way back from Portland for the name and for science: I'd buy a "Ready Freddie" if there was one.

8. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,420) Sep 24, 2007 Kyrgyzstan
    Trader

Long work day, now chillaxin' with a Block 15 Flicker. Tastes like a murkbomb, but is mostly clear.

9. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Devotee (480) Jul 17, 2005 Washington
    Society

Drinking my last Fremont Head Full of Fresh Hop. It was canned just less than a month ago and still bursting with hop flavor. I fear it might be another ten or eleven months before I have such a wonderfully hop-forward hazy IPA, so I’m enjoying every once of this.

10. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (3,540) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

Jai Alai 16 oz...long ways from its home.
    OK IPA not as great as i expected.
    From Plaid Pantry of course!

11. sfbeer1

sfbeer1 Initiate (61) Jul 19, 2012 Oregon
    Trader

Has anyone opened a bottle of Matchless Ol' Lifewine lately? My bottle poured ropey and slimy and was undrinkable. Will this clear up over time? I have a second bottle I'm curious about.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. rrock44

rrock44 Disciple (339) Oct 27, 2009 Washington

Picked up Penny today and that led me to going to coppertop. Just having one more with my favorite drinking buddy. The beer is fresh hopped HFOD (my 3rd fresh hopped; really good, but could be the company). Not sure how old the keg is or when it was tapped.

We spent 15.5 years together (15 good ones. Below pic is from 2014. Her favorite spot in the world...the Oregon coast.

13. derftron

Wayfinder/Heater Allen Rauchbier Hell

Lightly smoked, and perfect compliment to a gorgeous early November night

14. derftron

Now drinking a cafe crow show, coffee porter at Wayfinder. Come hang out on the porch around 4:30/5pm and watch the crow show!

Lingenbrau and rrock44 like this.
  15. weaverr

weaverr Initiate (171) Jun 10, 2008 Oregon

Damn. You've got my condolences. We don't deserve how good dogs are. I'm toasting to Penny tonight.

16. beertunes

Trader

A Gruff The John Oliver a bit ago, and now a Block 15 Gloria. Not your typical pils. In fact, perhaps it needs a style of its own; NEPils. It was almost a murkbomb, and had the scents and flavors more similar to a hefe. Nice beer, but, not what anyone would expect from a beer labeled "Pilsener".

kemoarps, Lingenbrau and rrock44 like this.
  17. ballardbeer

ballardbeer Initiate (176) Nov 10, 2013 Washington

i'd give it a year if it's ropey now. but i also would open that bottle with a face shield.

18. ballardbeer

ballardbeer Initiate (176) Nov 10, 2013 Washington

drinking a black raven coco porter, it's purty tasty.

19. vurt

Society

At Orenco Taphouse last night, I had a Pilsner from the Czech Republic which was laden with diacetyl and had the harshest hop finish I've experienced in any beer in years. Unpleasant.

I followed it up with a Block 15 Sticky Hands that was just delightful.

20. DefenCorps

Society Trader

Any sightings of the Greatest Hits version of Sticky Hands that's out?

Reidrover likes this.
  21. vurt

Society

I haven't seen any yet. When I do, I'll send up a flare.

kemoarps and DefenCorps like this.
  22. beertunes

Trader

Spent most of the day pounding the pavement for donations for a on-line auction for a local non-profit. Fortunately, some of my groveling has taken me to breweries. A Structures Fuzz a while ago, and a Wander Obnoxious Car Rental murkbomb now.

23. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Poo-Bah (3,470) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon
    Trader

Hi everybody! Been a loooong week and got hit from that NBS BIF that @beertunes finally roped me into. Been enjoying some goodies from PA, but I need me some local goodies! This might not be anything groundbreaking or what not, but I've come to enjoy it very much as my own personal seasonal Stout. Cheers!

[​IMG]

24. beertunes

Trader

Picked up a short load-out shift at the theatre tonight. My call was 9:30-1:00. Show ran long, didn't end until 10:15. Got it loaded out by 12. I still get paid until 1. On my 2nd RPM at the Grand right now. I love union jobs. Think I'll drink until I'm not getting paid.

Edit: whelp, it was 12:50 when I finished RPM 2. If I didn't get a 3rd, I feel like I'd be letting my employer down by half-assing things. And, well, I'm a good, loyal employee.

#64 beertunes, Nov 8, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  25. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,017) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Trader

Kinda out of character for them. They've done one before, but it was years ago.

kemoarps and beertunes like this.
  26. derftron

My annual birthday tradition. 2013 Matt

Delicious!

27. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Poo-Bah (3,470) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon
    Trader

Happy Friday! Lucubrator looking good in it's new can format. Cheers!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. vurt

Society

Friday. At last.

I am starting the evening with a can of Reuben's Moreish IPA.

It definitely lives up to its name.

kemoarps, 66jzmstr, jason_nwx and 3 others like this.
  29. rrock44

Decided to get out of town with the family. Destination Bend. Since the boys craved pizza, we hit up 10 barrel upon arrival. I had the spiral staircase. Also, had the midnight in Antwerp. Both really enjoyable. Decided to grab an estonya to go (didn’t realize bottled 2017 until arrival at vrbo, bonus?). Stopped by Safeway for some beers in the fridge. Now enjoying trade war. Damn, I love Bend.

30. jason_nwx

Drinking a Deschutes Cultural Diversity. Lots of acid, but I like acid. Also quite a bit of strawberry and a really pretty reddish golden color. Tasty.

31. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Devotee (480) Jul 17, 2005 Washington
    Society

I began with a can of Sah Brah? which is a Sabro dry-hopped Mexican lager collab by Claim 52 and Allegory. I don’t recall Sabro coming across as such a berry-forward hop, but it worked, and I really enjoyed this.

I ended with a tallboy of Skookum Double Citra Jack, a single-hop, hazy, double IPA. As expected, faceloads of Citra, and just the right, slight hint of booze for its 8% ABV. I look forward to more Skookum tall boys in my fridge in the future.

32. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,017) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Trader

Just renewed my acquaintance with it. It's called Mammoth, it's 10% abv and is very malty. Massively sneaks up on you when you drink it.

Lingenbrau, beertunes and vurt like this.
  33. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (3,540) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

New Jubelale enjoyed at Beverley Beach State Park by the fire at the yurt.
    Good as ever though the label/box art is disturbing.
    Maybe i am old but not enjoying the new Deschutes label art..the beer however is fantastic

34. vurt

Society

Last night I followed a Reuben's Moreish IPA with a can of the always reliable Ecliptic Starburst. But I realized what I really wanted was a Jubelale. I look forward to grabbing one today.

kemoarps, Reidrover and rrock44 like this.
  35. vurt

Society

According to their Facebook page, Arch Bridge Taphouse will have it on tap today, and they had cans available as of Thursday.

It also showed up in Belmont Station's new beer list last Tuesday (Nov. 5).

kemoarps, DefenCorps and Reidrover like this.
  36. jason_nwx

Y’all were right: Wayfinder’s Funeral Bock is delicious. And the can has a great label.

Lingenbrau, Reidrover and vurt like this.
  37. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,476) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Can confirm it's on tap at AB, but it appears they just have regular SH in cans. The greatest hits just tastes like regular SH to my palate (which is never a bad thing).

That being said, it's clearly low man on the totem pole in the flight I'm drinking. Definitely a solid beer as always, but is overshadowed (imho) by the spice wars, Dark Star with choc, vanilla and maple syrup, and the Grassroots brother soignee I'm drinking.

Nice line-up at Arch Bridge today.

#77 John_M, Nov 9, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  38. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,476) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Would add that in addition to the SH and Fremont beers, Arch Bridge is having an "event" today. So for those who might be interested in such things, they have things like Cantillon Kriek on tap, along with dG violet BuVeaux, Casa Agria Sobrantes, Jester King aurelian lure and why do birds suddenly appear (hazy tipa from modern times and other half). Also bottles of St. Lamvinus for on site consumption.

So a whole lot of sour nastiness....

39. vurt

Society

I'm sitting at the corner of the bar at Beermongers, thoroughly enjoying a pint of Heater Allen Rauch Hell.

40. rrock44

Took the boys on a couple hikes through lava fields and obsidian flows. Enjoying a very tasty Sun River Vermont Vacation (enjoyed so much, grabbed a 4 pack to go) for rehydration purposes. Beautiful day in Bend!