What beer are you drinking now? (September 2019)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by beertunes, Sep 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,333) Sep 24, 2007 Kyrgyzstan
    Trader

Just finished a Boundary Bay Hazy About You as my breakfast beer.

@John_M , Lock August please.

Lingenbrau and Reidrover like this.
  2. beertunes

Trader

My first beer of the new thread is Ninkasi's Dry Skies Brut IPA. Pretty nice beer.

Lingenbrau, sharpski and Reidrover like this.
  3. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,057) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Enjoying a Chuckanut Nutburger German Style Pilsner at Orenco Taphouse.

Also enjoying the soundtrack by a psychedelic band called The Vacant Lots. Always a good time when I pick up a brand new beer and a good new band in the same visit.

Lingenbrau, beertunes and Reidrover like this.
  4. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,459) Oct 25, 2003 China
    Moderator Society Trader

A new (to me) pilsner from Chuckanut? Color me intrigued and excited!

5. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,153) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

As you may have surmised, this was their entry for the Bitburger Pilsner event a few weeks ago. New, but probably not sticking around in their lineup.

beertunes and vurt like this.
  6. vurt

Society

Not a problem. I already have a habit of ordering Chuckanut beers every time I see them. Always.

-----

The wife and I have moved on to Ex Novo Beaverton, to help ensure that their supply of Fresh Hop Eliot doesn't have a chance to go stale.

Mission accomplished.

7. beertunes

Trader

If anybody ever asks you why I'm so mean and miserable, well: I just did a "5 minute favor" for a person who is providing the bar at a venue across the street from my work. Turned into a 1-1/2 hour rats nest of issues. I get nothing out of the rescue, but I saved a wedding reception. Yay me.

Fuck people. If you run a business based providing bar services for events, wouldn't you have back up equipment? And, oh, I didn't buy enough ice, do you think.....? And, she was pouring a different breweries beer. Shoulda told her to call them.

Having a celebratory Cedar Dust. Going to a cookout in a bit, where there will be dog time. Thanks for letting me whine.

8. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (3,526) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

G-Man Hefe...at The Tap Station in Independence OR.
    Actually very nice for a new brewery. I think they are based in Tualatin

Lingenbrau and vurt like this.
  9. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (3,526) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

Now Kells Irish Stout. Really hits the style well ...good stuff really

Lingenbrau and vurt like this.
  10. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Devotee (452) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon

de Garde’s Deutsche Hose tonight. Apparently had a best by date of August 2018 - oops. Still has a good hop presence, but lots of grapefruit pith.

Lingenbrau, Reidrover and vurt like this.
  11. vurt

Society

Putting some miles on the bike today, and notching up a new fresh hop or two. First up: a pint of Freshbang IPA at Breakside Slabtown. The beer menu describes this as "Fresh hop Smashbang IPA w/Oregon Strata hops in collaboration with Figueroa Mountain Brewing Co. Pink guava, ganja, apricot, mixed berries, passionfruit."

Light-bodied and very tropical, with a zesty Strata finish that reminds me of weed and candied orange peel. A nice beer.

12. vurt

Society

Moving on to a pour of Breakside Fresh Gold with Strata hops.

I probably should have started with this one, since it's a lighter beer than the Freshbang I just enjoyed. That said, I don't get a lot of fresh hop character from this light golden ale. Maybe a breath of honeydew and weed in the finish.

13. jason_nwx

Fresh Hop Eliot at Lardo - yes please.

This may be relevant since I know Rusty Nail is a fav here. Saw it at two spots (Portland metro): World Foods in the Pearl ($25) and New Seasons Progress Ridge ($23). At least three in each place.

kemoarps, Lingenbrau and vurt like this.
  14. vurt

Society

Rode over to Beermongers to check out the StormBreaker Fresh Hop IPA, and I'm glad I did. Nice one.

15. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Poo-Bah (3,405) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon
    Trader

Welp, back home. The "503 generated traffic" hardly seemed like a Carmageddon, but 3+ hours in the car with two little kids still had its toll. Bend was nice. Elk Lake was great. Time with the extended family certainly was... eventful.

Anyhoo, now the enjoying one of the stragglers from the trip. Riverbend, Oregonized Love IPA. Solid beer, but that Boneyard Notorious is knocking at my brain door. Cheers, and happy September!

16. VashonGuy

VashonGuy Meyvn (1,346) Mar 7, 2013 Washington
    Society Trader

I'm delighted with another Alesong masterpiece ... their Gose Añejo. Wow, this is much the most interesting Gose I've had ... lots of tequila barrel, quite tart and fruity. Terrific stuff.

66jzmstr, Lingenbrau, vurt and 3 others like this.
  17. drone

drone Disciple (375) Jun 17, 2013 Washington
    Trader

[​IMG]
    I've mostly been skipping GN haze lately as they haven't appealed, but this stands out. The simcoe really keeps this from edging too far into fusel jamba juice.

18. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (4,677) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

I'm at Beermongers for their 10th anniversary. I am drinking a hazy DIPA from Cellarmaker (meh) , Sahalie for the 1st time ( delicious, but too sour to drink a lot of ) and Nath, which is delicious and sufficiently balanced to have multiple pours.

19. sharpski

Society Trader

I’ve been looking for a phrase like this. Thanks!

20. Lingenbrau

Trader

A little light on body and a tad lacking on the sweet breadiness, but overall a pretty good O-fest from Level. I know it's dumb to say, but it definitely has a fresh feel to it. A good one for the warmer weather. Prost!

[​IMG]

21. Lingenbrau

Trader

Back to back, Bobtoberfest is the clear winner. Still not the best O Fest, but pretty good and better than I remember from last year.

[​IMG]

22. jason_nwx

Finally had a pFriem Nectarine Golden. Fruity, light, dry finish, good yeast character. Quite good.

kemoarps and Lingenbrau like this.
  23. vurt

Society

Stop me if you've heard this one before, but this vurt goes into Ex Novo Beaverton and asks the bartender for a pint of Fresh Hop Eliot IPA.

24. beertunes

Trader

Not sure if we can stretch the definition of NW to include Montana, but.....

I'm having a 2014 Ivan The Terrible from Big Sky. Damn fine brew. touches of coffee and licorice, and the alcohol isn't too hot. Very enjoyable.

muchloveforhops3, vurt and Lingenbrau like this.
  25. beertunes

Trader

Getting back to drinking some actual NW brew, with a bottle of Global Mutt. Indeterminate age, but I think I bought it back February-ish to send out, and never did. Shrug. Still nice.

26. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,459) Oct 25, 2003 China
    Moderator Society Trader

Who is this vurt fellow of whom you speak?

Lingenbrau likes this.
  27. VashonGuy

VashonGuy Meyvn (1,346) Mar 7, 2013 Washington
    Society Trader

Hey my favorite regional hiking book is called "Hiking the Great Northwest." It covers Washington, Oregon, and Idaho, and also northern California, western Montana, northwestern Wyoming, BC, and the Canadian Rockies in Alberta. That fits my sense of the region. All the good stuff, while excluding the areas I'm not so interested in.

I realize this book is for hiking, not for beer, but I'm willing to be broad minded about the beer too.

kemoarps, vurt, 66jzmstr and 2 others like this.
  28. Lingenbrau

Trader

Well Ho....leeeeey...sheeeeit, do we have a fine Saison right here. Honeysuckle and wildflowers galore with a rediculously fresh and clean feeling. Sorry @DefenCorps , but add another to the list of "my fault" beers if you haven't tried it already. Not quite Belgian/French style, but an awesome US version of the classic. Cheers!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. vurt

Society

Oh I like the sound of that one! If I end up liking it, I promise to blame you.

kemoarps, Lingenbrau and DefenCorps like this.
  30. Lingenbrau

Trader

Always a welcomed beer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

afrokaze, kemoarps, beertunes and 2 others like this.
  31. jason_nwx

Ancestry’s BDS tonight. Stands for “Belgian Dark Strong” and it’s a...Belgian strong dark. Creamy with nice cherry and cola notes. Corked and caged 375ml, picked it up at the farmers market for $8. Really nice.

32. vurt

Society

Curreny finishing off a can of Hopworks Singing Bird Fresh Hop Hazy IPA.

Maybe my expectations were too low (I haven't generally been thrilled by HUB's fresh hop beers), but this is surprisingly good.

33. DefenCorps

Society Trader

Today's cellar extraction yielded an 18 month old bottle of Jacaranda from Upright. This could not be any more different than the fresh glasses I had. The hop flavors are faded but nicely, and the Brett adds a really nice leather note to an otherwise bright Saison. Do I like it better? No. But could I make that argument with a numeric score that I'd comfortable giving? Also no, because not all 4.0 beers are equal. Some are more equal than others.

34. Lingenbrau

Trader

This may have been my most anticipated Fresh Hop beer this year. Unfortunately (at least from this first can), I much prefer the original. Interesting (pumpkin/cucumber/pick-your-squash) base flavor below the intense "recreational herb". No complaints, just not blowing my mind. Happy Friday! Cheers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

afrokaze, kemoarps, sharpski and 2 others like this.
  35. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,097) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Found some Pallet Jack, but no FH Pallet Jack yet. Killing Slightly Exagerated IPA now at Deschutes, it's ok, but more excited about bottles of another batch of Black Butte^3 that are rolling with me back to CA.

36. Lingenbrau

Trader

Decided to "go for it" tonight. It's Friday, and I've got nothing goin on. Cheers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

37. sharpski

Society Trader

Man, I’ve really started to shy away from DIPAs and TIPAs, but Notorious is dry enough to keep me coming back. Cheers!

38. Lingenbrau

Trader

To me, it was always PtY vs. Notorious, in a sense. The latter has always made me smile just a notch of a smirk more for some reason. Still does

39. vurt

Society

Mrs. vurt and I are sitting on the porch. Our special guest tonight is Crux Pert Near Fresh Hop IPA.

40. DefenCorps

Society Trader

My dad's back in town, and the cellar raiding continues. Tonight, it's a bottle of the Xyauyu Fume, decidedly not a PNW beer, but one that I'll always associate with @John_M

kemoarps, John_M, jason_nwx and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.