What beer are you going to hunker down with?

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by pianoguy, Mar 16, 2020.

1. pianoguy

pianoguy Defender (614) Feb 14, 2015 Washington
    Society

I live in Washington state and am preparing to spend a lot of time at home. I went to my local grocery store today and it was a madhouse ! I skipped toilet paper & canned goods and headed for the beer cooler (it's all about the priorities!) Today I opted for all higher ABV beers. No session beers for me. Instead of Founder's all day IPA I got Pyramid's Outburst Imperial IPA (8.5ABV). Instead of Black Butte porter I opted for Dragontooth stout (8.1ABV). My thought process is that I may have to stretch my supply for a while. If I have to limit myself to 1 or 2 beers a day they might as well be a little stronger. What beers are you all going to hunker down with ? Also want to take a moment to tell all my beer drinking brothers and sisters out there to stay safe !

2. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,321) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Fremont Coffee Cinnamon B-Bomb. Been waiting for an opportunity to share it with a friend but now I'm just gonna take it to the face

3. scream

scream Meyvn (1,091) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

Voodoo Ranger !

4. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (2,578) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

I guess now is a good time to reach into the cellar. I’ve been trying to do that anyway when I have some extra time to help reduce my stockpile from the last few years.

hottenot, Barettes, Scotchboy and 9 others like this.
  5. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (2,053) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

If it was up to me I would stock up with FBS. We'll see how long the liquor stores stay open, right now I'm not too too stocked

mikeinportc, hottenot, Txex06 and 6 others like this.
  6. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (3,926) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Digging into my cellar to start my days with something higher ABV then switching to whatever fresh hops I have.

hottenot, Txex06, Glider and 7 others like this.
  7. lkelly2171

lkelly2171 Initiate (74) Aug 18, 2014 Delaware

The beer fridge was looking bare with the exception of some stouts that are being saved (they aren't surviving COVID 19). Picked up some Dogfish Head Perfect Disguise, Cape May Brewing Always Ready, and Victory Cloud Walker at the store next to where I needed to pick up a few last minute food supplies. Always Ready is my go to almost always in the refrigerator beer. The other two are new to me. Happy quartining!

hottenot, Argail, Glider and 4 others like this.
  8. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Disciple (304) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

I have a lot of Toppling Goliath beer in the fridge right now

Mornin' Latte
    King Sue
    Pseudo Sue
    DDH Pseudo Sue

I also have 3 Floyds Zombie Dust and Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen in the fridge too and some big imperial stouts to sip on.

9. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (780) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I bought a good bunch yesterday

30 pack Hamms
    30 pack High Life had to settle for cans, like bottles much more

Wolf Pup
    Daily dose Really fresh and first time I’ve seen fresh beer from them in years
    Founders porter
    Bigfoot....Finally found it and it was the only pack
    FlyJack
    Stouts black lager. Love the homage to Black Flag. Drinking black lager , black lager
    Smuttynose Brown ale,not seen this in a long time.
    SN 40th

Along with about 5 cases of mixed things in the basement already and a few bottles of Tequila.

Enjoy

10. HammsMeASAP

HammsMeASAP Initiate (122) Jun 14, 2012 Minnesota

:clap:

11. Mister_Faucher

Mister_Faucher Savant (978) Dec 3, 2014 Washington
    Trader

I too live in Washington and sure as hell am not going to hunker down and hide like a scared fuckin cat. I will continue to go out and grab beers from brewers that I like at this or that bottle shop. Not a knock on you OP, but I have never lived my life in fear.

12. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,371) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Already in quarantine I'll have whatever is delivered.

rgordon, GreenBayBA, Barettes and 8 others like this.
  13. AWA

AWA Aspirant (296) Jul 22, 2014 California

I'm not afraid either. I just don't want to the the asshole that carries the virus around and then infects and kill some old people. Different strokes I guess.

14. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,936) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

I am hoping to enjoy my usual stock of locals. So far supply is not impacted, so that is my aim. Loaded up on Guinness also. Honestly if things get bad I will be happy to get a bud light lol.

15. Jason

Jason Founder (8,513) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

No beer until April 9th ... Cider, Red Wine, Whiskey, Gin, Vodka, etc.

My town just announced two more cases, super concerned as we have a big elderly population here.

16. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (283) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Trader

I may lay low. Immune systems needs to be ready for a fight.

My area is having 50% capacity restrictions. But I feel a full shutdown is near. Beer will certainly vbe considered non essential. So it's tempting to buy up some stock. But I've always been more of a sports spectator drinker. Drinking just to drink doesn't seem right. It's definitely stress relieving. So we shall see.

Current stock is
    24 pack of Hamm's
    12 pk pilsner urquell
    4 pk la cumbre IPA
    4 pk FBS

SaltofOH, gshak, hottenot and 10 others like this.
  17. hudsonvalleyslim

hudsonvalleyslim Disciple (300) May 29, 2003 Massachusetts

Enjoying a fine Springdale Rhythm Recipe tonight. Hoponius, Smutty & Guinness in the fridge. Happy Strange St. Patty's Day!

18. AWA

We just got a shelter in home until 4/7 enforced by law enforcement supposedly. Fortunately my beer fridge is full, I just picked up an extra mixed IPA case from Sierra Nevada, and I've been meaning to thin out some barrel aged stouts I've been hoarding. Abyss 2015 here I come.

19. Subsection

Subsection Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2020
    Trader

4 different 750ml 3 Fonteinen, 3 different 750 ml of seasonal Cantillon, 3 different 750ml of Mills and some 750s from Anchorage, De Cam, Pomona Island and Burning Sky.

Also got a cupboard full of home brew mead and cider so I'm good for a couple of weeks

Junior, hottenot, GreenBayBA and 5 others like this.
  20. RochefortChris

RochefortChris Poo-Bah (1,515) Oct 2, 2012 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I just brewed an oatmeal stout for a homebrew festival which is likely going to be re-scheduled so I have that, a keg of homebrewed Baltic porter, a shit ton leftover beer from a commercial competition I judged recently and I'm going to get a rack or two at the grocery store tomorrow. I still don't have enough beer but this should tie me over for the time being

21. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,359) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I’ve been on Wild Turkey 101, and Martinis. We’re not a hit spot at all right now, but only for right now.

22. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Poo-Bah (1,773) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Society Trader

I’ve got a decent size cellar. if the liquor stores close I’ll be ok for a while, but I’ll definitely be on the lookout for cheaper summer styles.

hottenot, GreenBayBA, Glider and 2 others like this.
  23. Insomniac

Insomniac Initiate (28) Nov 5, 2019

Today I picked up 24 x Collective Arts Life In The Clouds, 24 x Omnipollo Zodiak and 12 x Fuller’s Imperial IPA (most of which I plan to age). Just prefer not to be in busy places more often than necessary over the next while. I live in an area of Canada where repatriated Canadians are being quarantined at a local military base. We now have 35 probable cases in a local population of 200,000, so things seems to be heating up.

Stay healthy.

hottenot, GreenBayBA, Txex06 and 3 others like this.
  24. KRug

KRug Aspirant (226) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Trader

Really wanna find this near me haha, love Black Flag and black lagers

Stoutmaster9 and hottenot like this.
  25. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Disciple (304) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

I have some good stuff right now in the fridge, but honestly if it gets worse and I have to stop drinking beer for a bit, then so be it.

I'm more concerned that everyone's healthy and we can get this serious situation under control. I can always come back to beers when everything is cleared up in a few months.

hottenot, Barettes, brucepf92 and 4 others like this.
  26. dukeandduke

dukeandduke Meyvn (1,318) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

Yes, have about 80 stouts, but only like drinking those when it is cold out, so examined my entire inventory and I'm good for now, but picked up some Bodem tonight, because well it's Bodem.

Going to pick up a six pack of my favorite winter seasonal, A Little Crazy by Revolution, and a few four packs over the next week or two to make sure I'm good til the Solstice, when hopefully bars and breweries will be open (hopefully by Memorial Day or even sooner).

Nearby Une Annee and Alarmist are open for carry-out, so I may check them out soon, as well as The Beer Temple which is a little further away, though I will definitely hit that first once their taproom reopens for a two-for.

hottenot, Barettes, Glider and 2 others like this.
  27. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (5,565) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Just grabbed a 24-pack of a regional AAL (Gold Buckle Beer) to supplement my current stash (including high gravity/high ABV beers that I probably will get around to drinking now) in this interesting time...

I figure lower ABV beers over an extended period may be the wise thing to do.

And there is always Wild Turkey 101 if needed...

28. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,636) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

A lot of my favorite seasonal or specialty beers were recently released so I have most of a 6-pack of 4-5 different beers which gives me a good variety from which to choose. I also have around 25 bottles in my cellar fridge too, so I'm good for 50+ days if this hunkering-down lasts that long.

Plus my local stores should get Oberon today along with Bell's latest release, VI, in the Leaves of Grass series. I'll take my hand sanitizer along and use it before leaving the car and after getting back in. I'll probably wipe down the 6-pack carrier too.

29. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,359) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I’m still cutting our beers, I’ve had only two since SB Sunday. Can’t say I’m really craving one right now, but that last Dortmunder Gold was spectacular.

30. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,316) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

I’ve got about 70 beers plus/minus (IPA/Stout/BW/Lambic) cold in wine chillers, minifridge and fridge; and several cases of mixed stouts that are resting, that I can rotate. I need to vote today, and ship out a box of “collectible glassware”...after that, I’ll hunker down and stay home until Mrs. Z says I can go out...Cheers!

31. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,636) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

After being 'dry' per your description, I'm guessing that every beer for a week or so will taste "spectacular." Cheers!!

dukeandduke and thesherrybomber like this.
  32. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,177) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Pale ales are 80% of the beers in my fridge right now... trying NOT to be drunk by noon.
    -PseudoSue, Scorn, Daisy Cutter, Melvin's Hubert, etc.
    A few DIPAs so that I can do a few one-and-done days here and there.
    I don't stash huge amounts of beer, because I also have a stash of red wine in the basement, and yeah, there's also spirits. We good.

33. Highbrow

Highbrow Devotee (448) Jan 7, 2011 California
    Trader

i won't run out of things to sip - liquor nor beer, that's for damn sure. not gonna be stuck in the house with a bored family & nothing to drink.:grin: that said, i feel bad for those who just suddenly saw the need to stock up. i admire those that are disciplined & only restock when they're exhausting their existing supply. glad that's not me in this moment tho'.

34. Highbrow

Highbrow Devotee (448) Jan 7, 2011 California
    Trader

p.s. have a strong feeling that will be revised to 4/13ish.

Junior, mikeinportc and AWA like this.
  35. Glider

Glider Zealot (561) Nov 15, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

I grabbed a few Belgians and a couple 4-packs a few days ago. Orval, St Bernardus Abt 12, Rochefort 6, Singlecut Softly Spoken Magic Spells, Schlenkerla Lent Beer.

I already had an assorted case in the fridge, plus 3 cases of wine and a couple cases of liquor. Really no need to stock up on anything else, and there are local stores and breweries doing curbside pickup. Yet I still feel the urge to stock up even more. Resisting the urge so far.

36. Ranbot

Ranbot Savant (912) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

I'm staying in with whatever beer I got on hand. Beer is not an essential item. I'm not going to risk catching or worse spreading this virus to others for beer. I'll work through my cellar [which my wife will appreciate] and if I go dry for a period, so be it.

^^ THIS... but also immune-compromised people and average people that need medical services for normal things, but won't have access to doctors and nurses if/when the medical system is overwhelmed.

Flatten the Curve. (The simulations in the article really help visualize the effectiveness of these measures)

[​IMG]

37. Scrapss

Scrapss Defender (668) Nov 15, 2008 Pennsylvania

My local distributor has my card on file, so I called them up, told them my SNPA sixtel kicked. They had my replacement sixtel of Prima Pils, I said I'd be down. I arrived, they brought the sixtel out, went back inside. I dumped the empty carcass, wiped the new keg off with a sanitary wipe, loaded it and went home. I presume that after I left they hazmat'd my empty similarly and went about their business.

That's the way to roll when pandemics come to town.

38. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (4,208) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Society Trader

People have called me a hoarder for years, but me and my 1,200+ bottles of beer are ready for the lockdown! :sunglasses:

39. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,967) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Put a few more bombers and 750s in the fridge, including Speedway Nibs & Beans. I'm a huge Speedway fan and never had this variant.

As for average beer, having just tried Flyjack and Light Hearted Ale, I'll probably be buying more of the latter and another low calorie IPA option. These two have spiked my interest, especially with Light Hearted's flavor profile.

40. AWA

Thank you voice of doom. Buy, yeah, probably.

mikeinportc, dukeandduke and Highbrow like this.