What beer are you going to hunker down with?

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by pianoguy, Mar 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indypete

indypete Initiate (0) Apr 6, 2011 Indiana

I traveled to Wisconsin for work and picked up a few cases of New Glarus and have a well-stocked cellar with 120 8-18% abv beers. I should be good for a couple of weeks :wink:.

Stay well, everyone!

2. cbcrunch

cbcrunch Poo-Bah (1,948) Jan 21, 2012 Wyoming
    Society

We have 100+ beers in the beer fridge. Enough food and firewood for months and plenty of ways to prevent them being taken from us. :beers: :smirk::beers:

3. Genuine

Genuine Devotee (442) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

I'm a homebrewer so I just brewed up 10 gallons of Resilience IPA (Seemed fitting) and 5 gallons of an Irish Blonde ale. Once those are done fermenting, I'll be brewing up an NEIPA and a lager. Might as well keep all 5 of my kegs full!

4. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,853) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yesterday was my last day at the office before moving to working from home, so I stopped by the store to stock up a bit. I was hoping to get a mixed pack for varieties sake, plus bang for the buck, but that didn't work out. The Guinness 200 years one was sold out, Jack's Abby was too old, and not much else to choose from.

So I did get some JA Post Shift Pilsner and took the last sixer of Hofbrau Winter Lager off their hands. Seems like a good addition to the smoked beers, wilds and stouts I also have on hand.

rgordon, Premo88, GreenBayBA and 12 others like this.
  5. mogulskier

mogulskier Initiate (119) Feb 3, 2019 California

Stopped by a bottle shop last week, a place I rarely visit, but was in the area so decided to stop by. Frankly, shocked to see 2 cases of unopened 2019 BCBS and 8 bottles of 2019 Cafe de Olla. In a weak moment, snagged 4 bottles of BCBS and 2 of Cafe. Since we are under a shelter in place order, and with BCBS tasting so darn good, I figured a great beer to enjoy. Also, the Cafe de Olla may just surprise me with a little bit of aging. Initially, I thought it was just OK.

6. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,036) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Well, not a "hunkering down" so much, just a trip to Total Wine... lol
    [​IMG]
    Like the coronavirus, I cross all borders, as somewhat randomly (I did want some Guinness for St. Patrick's Day), I have beers from England, Ireland, Belgium, Germany, and Japan (1 Asahi left in the fridge) - oh, and America, too :flushed: (BA Narwhal still in fridge); got a sake from Japan, rum from Jamaica, vodka from France, caviar from Russia, and maraschino cherries from Italy... Listening to music from Norway, over in WBAYDN... :wink:

Cheers...

7. JSullivan

JSullivan Initiate (52) Aug 18, 2010 Massachusetts

I'll be hunkering down with a mix of homebrewed stuff and store bought. Consisting of approximately:
    150 Bottles of homemade mead (11 different varieties)
    200 Bottles on strong beer (Barleywines, quad, sours)
    25 Bottles of Applewine
    1 corny keg each of:
    Weizenbock
    North German Pils
    1850 Truman Imperial Stout (from Let's Brew! by @patto1ro, which is awesome btw )

Have the obligatory Guinness and Murphy's for today, as well as some wine, BCBS, Courage RIS, and Scotch/Brennivin/Schnapps/Absinthe if things really drag out.

GreenBayBA, hottenot, Glider and 3 others like this.
  8. Highbrow

Highbrow Devotee (443) Jan 7, 2011 California
    Trader

sorry. didn't mean to rain on your parade. your location said CA so i assumed you're in the Bay Area too, and in the same procession as me. word on the curb was they were already discussing that yesterday evening. not having heard more i guess maybe they're sticking with the 7th. <shrug>

GreenBayBA and ChicagoJ like this.
  9. AWA

AWA Disciple (320) Jul 22, 2014 California

I'm in Santa Cruz. Schools are now closed until the 13th at least. Pretty sure that's a moving target though.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  10. lastmango

lastmango Crusader (718) Dec 11, 2014 Pennsylvania

Bought a case of Wienstephaner Original. Also have some SN barrel aged Narwhal, Troegs Troegenator, and Boulevard Whiskey Imperial Stout. And if I get tired of beer, I have a selection of bourbon, Irish whiskey and 2 kinds of gin for my G&Ts. But, a silver lining is one of our local brewers will make curb delivers. :slight_smile: They are closing the PA liquor stores tonight. Lines out the door yesterday. As for the toilet paper, our plans are to eat more cheese and go to the bathroom less because our damn town has not had any tp in 3 weeks!!! :slight_frown:

GreenBayBA, Barettes, Glider and 3 others like this.
  11. lastmango

I'm envious of your Paulaner!

12. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,806) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Came here to say this. Got a coconut b bomb and a couple rusty nails as well.

13. Scrapss

Scrapss Meyvn (1,002) Nov 15, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

F#$& this shit...they shut it down at 9 and shelves were stocked. Bar was empty at home....
    [​IMG]

And a bbl of Prima Pils as above. I have trade bait for TP now! :stuck_out_tongue:

#53 Scrapss, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  14. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,626) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I work as a direct support provider in a residential care facility, so hunkering down and working from home is not an option. Our folks are under a modified quarantine right now, i.e. no outside activities or appointments unless absolutely necessary, and our staff are having to make some adjustments. I think the most prudent option for me right now is to remain alert and be ready to step in when needed.

That said, I have a metric crap ton of bourbon on hand in case things really go south.

15. Barettes

Barettes Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2019 Washington

I'll focus on what's in the cellar, mainly stouts, lambics, wild ales, quads and such. I was beginning to think 3 cases worth of beer in the cellar was ridiculous, but in this moment I'm glad to have it on hand.

16. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania

Honestly I just keep buying cheap bulk items at the beer store (all the state liquor stores are closed), Yuengling has been my savior through this pandemic. I refuse to drive 30 miles for a liquor store in Delaware haha, plus I'm supposed to stay put and not go out in public.

Scrapss and Barettes like this.
  17. lightman1

lightman1 Initiate (79) Oct 19, 2013 Arkansas
    Trader

I stay pretty well stocked up but I just made a recent run for my daily drinking stuff. I can easily go for a few months on what I have.

GreenBayBA and Barettes like this.
  18. Beerbadger55

Beerbadger55 Initiate (102) Aug 29, 2017 Wisconsin

I laid in an assortment over the past few weeks in preparation to get through this, VooDoo Ranger Juicy Haze, Founders Centennial, Central Waters Stout, Spotted Cow and of course a couple 30 packs of Busch Light! Everything shutting down in the Madison area except essential services, grocery and gas stations. I’m unemployed at the moment, wife works at the department of health. Needless to say her stress level is turned up to eleven right now.......stay well BA’s!

19. Singlefinpin

Singlefinpin Savant (913) Jul 17, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

I have to have food periodically, preferring to eat fresh vegetables and fish, so, hopefully, I can restock with local Craft beer once a week or so, unless the beer fridge looks like the TP aisle, empty.
    Hopefully this initial Dooms Day mentality will quiet down, and we'll be able to get through this with beer and TP, two luxuries we shouldn't have to run out of.

20. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,416) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Kid got back from the store this afternoon and handed me a case of But Light. Bud Light? "But Dad", says he, "It was on sale".

21. scream

scream Meyvn (1,340) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

Condolences !

22. Squire

Society Trader

It get's worse, he used my debit card.

23. scream

scream Meyvn (1,340) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

LMAO ! Sorrry !

GreenBayBA and DoctorZombies like this.
  24. KevSal

KevSal Meyvn (1,072) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

we’ve been down for a while, working on making a major dent to the stash!

GreenBayBA, StoutElk_92 and Scrapss like this.
  25. mogulskier

mogulskier Initiate (119) Feb 3, 2019 California

Passed on Rusty Nail, there is more than enough stock of that. However, Coconut B-Bomb was fully stocked last week at my local go-to bottle shop,but all of a sudden is running low. So, had little choice but to grab another bottle. Coconut does have a tendency not to age well, so I can see the logic here. I now have 3 bottles, and will open 1 tomorrow night. When I first tried it fresh, it was simply incredible. I loved the coconut flavor and do not want to age for too long.

GreenBayBA, Barettes and SFACRKnight like this.
  26. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,806) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Cheap beer isn't good and good beer isn't cheap. I'm starting to question how good of a father You Are by not teaching him:stuck_out_tongue:

27. Squire

Society Trader

My elocution falls on indifferent ears.

eppCOS, GreenBayBA, KevSal and 4 others like this.
  28. Belial

Belial Initiate (34) Aug 9, 2005 Illinois

i picked up two cases of old style today just to play it safe. ive been on hold for an hour trying to cancel a flight and i think i may need an extra case after this.

29. deleted_user_1007501

deleted_user_1007501 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2015

ANYWHO, I stocked up a bit with a Flying Dog IPA Variety 12pk, Old Chub, Gaffel Kolsch, and Masthead Midwest Red.

Of course my whiskey/bourbon selection is still in good shape: Laphroaig 10, Four Roses Single Barrel, Lagavulin 16, High West Double Rye, and Old Grandad Bonded. That’s enough for me!

30. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Devotee (497) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Running low as we speak. Surprisingly, I think I'm going to get a 15 pack of Blue Moon cans as well as a couple 4 packs of Ithaca's Everyday Haze. With a newborn, I want something lower ABV with a decent flavor.

scootercrabb, GreenBayBA and Scrapss like this.
  31. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (6,777) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

3 items 30 pack of Hamms,couple 4PK of Psuedo Sue and a 750ml of Buffalo Trace to start.

32. traction

traction Devotee (466) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

[​IMG]

I don't plan on going out for a couple weeks in this was my last pick up. Also grabbed a few bottles of various liquor. I didn't need any more beer I just wanted to point some money in the local stores pockets. I have a bunch of different alcohol lying around but what I have the most of is a case of Westbrook Lassi What You think About This.

I hope this doesn't get as bad as I think it will. Much love everyone.

33. craigbelly

craigbelly Meyvn (1,321) Dec 31, 2015 Iowa
    Society Trader

all of them.....

GreenBayBA likes this.
  34. Grounder

Grounder Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2019 Illinois

Local, obviously. So, Krankshaft and Very Very Far.

35. oldmankoch

oldmankoch Disciple (376) Jan 1, 2014 Tennessee

I scored a 12 pack of Yee-Haw Dunkel on sale for $8.99 the other day. I additionally still have several beers from Hill Farmstead and Tree House from a trip earlier this month before everything went nuts. I'm headed out to the liquor store tomorrow in hopes to find some Belgians and IPAs from Bearded Iris and Southern Grist.

36. lastmango

Is it possible that he was hoping you would not drink it, leaving it for him? :slight_smile:

GreenBayBA and Scrapss like this.
  37. lackenhauser

lackenhauser Poo-Bah (2,547) Dec 10, 2002 Maryland
    Society Trader

Model glue and whippets. Some leftover Percocets. Bud cans.

mikeinportc, eppCOS, Premo88 and 5 others like this.
  38. SMH_NWI

SMH_NWI Devotee (458) Jan 8, 2015 Texas
    Trader

Some breweries in Houston, at least the ones I care about, are doing delivery - place your order over the phone and they’ll be at your door with the beers

Longhorn08 and hottenot like this.
  39. puck1225

puck1225 Poo-Bah (3,168) Dec 22, 2013 Texas
    Society Trader

Fortunately, took a nice trip which permitted buying of a really good beer supply just before t all hit the fan. I am in good shape with a very nice variety of excellent beers! Plan to get growlers to go this weekend from the locals. God is good!

40. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

This past weekend stayed old school local but not intentionally; Great Lakes Chillwave DIPA & Conway's Irish Ale.
    Thinking tomorrow about getting even more local due to the shutdown & grabbing a growler from west side's Bascule Brewing & Public House.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.