What beer can you not believe the rating?

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by Beer_Economicus, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Devotee (439) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

OK - After a recent conversation or two discussing fake reviews and artificial hype to increase trade value...I thought about an interesting idea for a thread:

What beer(s) have you had that are rated extremely high (rare or not), but you cannot fathom how they could be rated as high as they are?

Note: I don't want this to be a "Most over-rated beer" thread. It's easy to get trader's remorse (seperate thread), and believe a beer should not be "worth" a certain value. I am getting at something else. I want to hear about those beers you have had that everyone apparently loves - but you just don't get it. Some beers - even if they are not our style - we can see how other people would really enjoy them. ...I feel this way about zombie Dust and Heady Topper. OTHER beers, though, I'll never understand why people like it so much.

Let's hear it!

Blackop555 and Vidblain like this.
  2. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Of the beers that I have had, the beer that made me say this the most is an "Andal stout" from Answer. It had 4 different additives, and was so sweet I could not finish a 3-4oz pour. The first sip was tasty - and the flavors are spot on. But a beer's rating has to include drinkability.

I get that palate's are different. But for all those beers of theirs to be rated as near perfect 5s? I just don't get it. I cannot understand it.

warrendietrich2001 likes this.
  3. dranthony2012

dranthony2012 Initiate (173) Dec 12, 2013 California
    Trader

Cantillon Blabaer, It’s not a bad beer just wasn’t impressed with it. I’d prefer regular loons over it. I think everyone should try it if they can get it for a reasonable price but it’s definitely one of my least favorite cantillons. Remember it’s still a good beer! Just didn’t wow me as I was expecting.

4. cmukid87

cmukid87 Aspirant (269) Jan 30, 2017 Michigan
    Trader

Affogato (Trillium/JWB collab). I enjoyed it but it was too sweet and too heavy on the peppery-coffee flavors. People are nuts for this beer. I was so excited to get the BA version too, prior to ever having the base. I had the base and immediately traded the BA.

5. D09daryl

D09daryl Initiate (50) Mar 11, 2017 California
    Trader

I thought affogato was good but it didn’t live up to the hype for me, same with most treehouse. Some others that didn’t live up to the hype were appervation, bcbs rare, regular darklord, madagascar (I don’t think it ages well), and double barrel huna was straight up terrible

Vidblain and Beer_Economicus like this.
  6. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Everyone knows I'm a BCBS fanboy. So, everything else is OK, but this is a step too far. :grin::grin::grin:

Bruno415 likes this.
  7. D09daryl

Trader

I thought it was good, but set my expectations too high. Just didn't seem a far enough step away from regular bcbs & i was expecting a little more viscosity

Blackop555 and Beer_Economicus like this.
  8. Beer_Economicus

Trader

That's fair.

This is particularly why I love threads like this. It's not just about reviews, I enjoying seeing the odd. Everyone's palate is different. In some cases (particularly like with my Answer post above), I just can't see it. Don't get it at all.

Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:.

9. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (3,951) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

Most Aslin IPAs.

I've had nine & half were average or worse, the other half somewhat better than average but nothing I ever need to have again. A few were downright bad. But plenty of people seem to love the brewery & more power to them!

10. cmukid87

cmukid87 Aspirant (269) Jan 30, 2017 Michigan
    Trader

I'm at that point with The Veil brewing. All of the hornswoggler series are average to me and their IPAs all taste the same to me.

11. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (5,344) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

Most hype stouts these days. New breweries that come out of no where and have no place in the upper pantheon of world class beers being called the greatest of all time by people that just stopped shotgunning Natty Light yesterday.

Henna -- Nequik

ManBearPig -- a hot, underwhelming mess. All you gotta do is tell a story of how extravagantly you've padded a beer with other flavorings in order to ring the all-powerful hype bell

BBT -- all booze

Grande Negro Voodoo Papi -- honestly it's okay, but the rating is way the hell higher than the actual experience of drinking it

All Tree House stouts. They're so heavily reliant on lactose number one. Secondly, I've never been too impressed by any of their dark beers besides Hustle, which hasn't been made in ages. People's burnt out palates overreact to the haze factory producing a stout and give it huge marks, but their stouts are just a shell of what they could be if they were as good at the style as they are at NE IPA. Hell, watching the discussion of dark beers in that thread is usually cringe worthy all on its own.

The "barrel-aged" Coffee-mate creamer stouts from 3 Sons and J Wakefield.

I'd love to add Moksa and 3 Chiefs to this list, but I haven't had them yet and doubt I ever will. My disdain for breweries that haven't sold a drop of decent beer playing the hype game from day 0 and before they even open only seems to be growing. Not to mention, for their own sake, if they can't make a decent Pale Ale, Blonde, Oktoberfest, Pilsener, Brown or Amber in a property worth sitting down at for a pint or two, I really don't think their business model will allow them to stick around for very long. Hype boys are only in it for secondary market line-standing hype generation, and if that's the only way you can fund your business I'm not sure how you remain solvent.

12. not2quick

not2quick Disciple (354) Dec 1, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

Madagascar does not age well at all. I drink it every year and have had it with some age on it.

13. stevepat

stevepat Devotee (413) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

Bruery stuff generally has been remarkably underwhelming for me. I'm not really a hype chaser so I haven't tried most of the big hyped brews.

14. Rustytacos

Rustytacos Initiate (74) Mar 19, 2018 California
    Trader

Just my 2 cents on Moksa,
    I believe one of the guys running that came from abnormal so I think his reputation helped out. His last beer he worked on with Abnormal was ba all the lights and that was awesome, to me at least. Besides reputation, their stouts have been good to really good,like pastry method, indulgence, thick nibs, grasp of darkness. But their regular "beers" are alright but are getting better.

As far as the original question, I always thought tree house was highly over rated as well as trillium. But the last few trades I've made for trillium have yeilded some great brews, so maybe it depends on how fresh you get the beers and how it's stored.

15. KevSal

KevSal Savant (987) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

at DLD people where positing their closed bottles of teachable moments claiming it was the best they ever had. one is fine but there was about 20 of them. for a whole week that was the highest rated barrel aged dark lord until someone finally opened on lol

16. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,122) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Similar thing with Turtledogg. First 7 of 8 ratings were between 4.25 AND 5, then a week later when people startes opening bottles the more reliaric rating started to take shape. I just chalk it up shitty hype-up trade value assholes doing this to get as much for their bottles as possible.

17. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Turtledogg already sounds like shit. I half-feel for people that got a variant hoping to trade it with a name like turtledogg. If I went to a festival hoping for something cool, and I was given a "turtledogg" I'd shit myself over what a terrible name that is.

But seriously. Who came up with such a terrible name?

Peterock27, KevSal and LeedsZimbabwe like this.
  18. LeedsZimbabwe

LeedsZimbabwe Initiate (107) Nov 23, 2014 New York
    Trader

Hudson Valley, for me. They have only one of two flavors - far too sweet and creamy (like a frappuccino in a can) or far too 'artificially' sour (since they simply add lactic acid to the beer to sour it). Amount of lactic acid in those also makes them lack complexity for the most part (so they add grapes, or white chocolate, or mouthwash, etc.). I wonder if people enjoy the 'hybridization' betwen a sour and ipa (which sort of always existed in dry hopped sours, but maybe canning it makes it a currency haze-persons can understand). Or maybe it's the number of calories (taking a 220 kCal ipa, dumping lactic acid and 30g of sugar into it makes it something even a run of the mill 711 customer can get behind).

David55555, Invinciblejets and jhavs like this.
  19. KBlodorn

KBlodorn Aspirant (272) Oct 3, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

I agree on Rare, and, in fact, I think Reserve is far superior

Blackop555 likes this.
  20. KBlodorn

Trader

Fieldwork's beers jump out to me the most. They're just not that good.. Heady Topper as well, it's solid, but it's nowhere near a 4.6. Focal Banger is better in every way

21. brutalfarce

brutalfarce Initiate (167) Mar 23, 2018 Connecticut
    Trader

for me it'd be Evil Twins stouts/porters, they just always miss for me. did a beer share recently just shelf stuff and one guy brought a mixed six and they all sounded better than the last but all of them fell flat and didn't deliver

22. Rustytacos

Rustytacos Initiate (74) Mar 19, 2018 California
    Trader

Out curiosity, how many fieldwork beers have you tried? I don't see it trading as much as other well known beers and never seen a lot of hype, just a few maybe. I live near by fieldwork and they have good beers and locals always buy it up when they release cans. They have a signature taste , like many other breweries, but it's different in a good way. I know you aren't saying fieldwork is bad, but it isn't all hyped up.

KevSal likes this.
  23. KBlodorn

Trader

Perhaps I didn't read what he said thoroughly? I've had Power Glove and King Citra, and I want to say a third one too, and while a small sample size, I thought those beers were awful. They're far too malty for my liking. But, you're right, they're not really hyped and they're not rated super high.

24. stevepat

stevepat Devotee (413) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

The other one that occurs to me is Casa Agria. I don't know how hyped they really are in the trade-o-sphere, but I know that it is a highly touted brewer on here. I was remarkably underwhelmed by their stuff. Some decent sours and some really mediocre IPAs in my opinion.

brutalfarce likes this.
  25. putonyourwalkingshoes

putonyourwalkingshoes Disciple (341) Jul 31, 2013 California
    Trader

This is really a question of when you had it. If you drank it within the first year you prob thought it was disappointing. I had this 6 months ago and thought it was brilliance.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  26. putonyourwalkingshoes

putonyourwalkingshoes Disciple (341) Jul 31, 2013 California
    Trader

I agree with Fieldworks. We get kegs all the time here and I've been underwhelmed by everything. Places in CA tout them as the next cellarmaker but they are so far away.

In terms of focal, idk if it's just the latest batch that was seen all throughout California but I had 2 different cans from 2 different shops as well as one in a recent trade and I thought all were utterly awful borderline fat tire quality.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  27. MarshallBirdhouse

MarshallBirdhouse Devotee (414) Feb 19, 2013 Louisiana
    Trader

Pretty much every Side Project beer that I've had

David55555 and ECOBOOSTINST like this.
  28. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Not disputing that you were surprised, but can you pick out one or two that were the most shocking, and explain why you were surprised?

29. MarshallBirdhouse

Trader

I thought D6 was disgustingly sweet. Even more so than BVDL which I didn't think was possible.

30. D09daryl

Trader

November 12, 2017 - don't get me wrong, I thought it was good, but just didn't really stand out to regular BCBS to me

31. eppie82

Trader

Man, if you think those are sweet you definitely haven’t tried many of the highly rated stouts coming out of Florida these days. BVDL might have been considered sweet some time ago, but at this point it’s reaching towards the ‘balanced’ side of things based on some of the pastry stouts being released over the last year or two.

32. Sabtos

Trader

Exactly this. I had an Arawn last month, woke up 3 days later missing a foot.

33. MarshallBirdhouse

Trader

I was at Cycle & Angry Chair last month. Cheers.

brutalfarce and FFFjunkie like this.
  34. Sabtos

Trader

Glutton for punishment

35. gibgink

gibgink Champion (835) Oct 27, 2014 Missouri
    Trader

Most recently it would be FdF. All time is still KBS.

36. eppie82

Trader

Did you try some of their pastry stouts while there?

brutalfarce and FFFjunkie like this.
  37. eppie82

Trader

I apologize for the confusing language. What I meant to ask was, did you try some of their pastries while at those bakeries?

brutalfarce, FFFjunkie and Sabtos like this.
  38. AyatollahGold

AyatollahGold Champion (849) Nov 28, 2016 Indiana
    Trader

For me, it's been Black Tuesday, Mocha Wednesday & Chocolate Rain.

39. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (3,951) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

All fantastic beers.

I don't have many teeth left, but they're all sweet teeth.

40. Vitacca

Vitacca Defender (678) Sep 15, 2010 Wisconsin
    Premium Trader

I was there last year and I could not finish one of their sours. They were more acidic than Upland. Highly disappointed.