What beer can you not believe the rating?

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by Beer_Economicus, Sep 13, 2018.

1. John_M

John_M Moderator (6,214) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Premium

Well, I've always felt the 2.23 score for Bud Light Platinum was at least a point too high.

All kidding aside, I'll throw in Great Notion's Double Stack as a candidate. It's actually a pretty decent beer, don't get me wrong (especially for an adjunct stout that sees no barrel aging), but I think its BA score is greatly over inflated. I'm always stunned by some of the things folks are willing to trade for it in the trading forums (especially as the beer has become increasingly easy to obtain, now that GN has opened it's production brewery over on the West side of town).

That being said, I think I'm starting to see a trend here. DS is another very sweet stout (lot of chocolate and maple syrup flavor), that seems to hit a lot of consumer's sweet tooth just right. The level of sweetness is actually the beer's biggest detraction, IMHO.

2. Blackop555

Blackop555 Meyvn (1,362) Dec 12, 2016 Michigan
    Premium Trader

Kbs. Don't get me wrong it really tastes good, but with how many good barrel aged beers are out there and even for less money now id hardly call it superior.

3. John_M

John_M Moderator (6,214) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Premium

With all due respect, I think you'd be hard put to find too many BA stouts that are more reasonably priced. At least where I live, I've seen kbs for 19.99 at My local grocery store for a 4 pack. That prices out to around $9 for a bomber, and at least where I live, that's a pretty tough price to beat.

Otherwise, I would agree with you, but I think you have to look at kbs from an historical standpoint. Today, you're absolutely right. BA stouts as good or better than kbs are pretty easy to find I think. But when I first tried it back in 2004, I thought it was amazing, and had never tried anything quite like it. The high score you see on ba today is a holdover from those days when kbs really was something special, highly sought after, and a beer that everyone respected and appreciated.

4. Blackop555

Blackop555 Meyvn (1,362) Dec 12, 2016 Michigan
    Premium Trader

Kbs here goes for about 25 a 4. Central Waters bourbon stout, bells black note (a touch cheaper and easier to find now), bourbon victory at Sea and lagunitas willetized or high westified i don't know how they can sell a beer that cheap

brutalfarce likes this.
  5. TylerJ

TylerJ Aspirant (266) Apr 10, 2016 Kansas
    Trader

Easy there! Who says you can't shotgun a Natty light and chase it with a Henna Swirl?

Sabtos likes this.
  6. JapaneseZombie

JapaneseZombie Initiate (62) Jun 8, 2016 Washington
    Trader

Curious on what year you had? Each year I have had has been completely different. 15' being the best imo. 11' Blåbær was one of the funkiest lambics I've had in my life, while 15' Blåbær was almost zero funk and straight blueberry jam. 17' was again more funk forward. Not one year I've had has held a candle to 15'

Cheers!

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  7. putonyourwalkingshoes

putonyourwalkingshoes Disciple (333) Jul 31, 2013 California
    Trader

Morning delight and that's this year. It's a nice coffee stout and it ends there. Theres nothing wow about it.

8. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,080) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I think that’s in part due to how underwhelmed people were with batch 4 (2017). I know I wasn’t impressed much by b4 so when I had b5, it tasted like a whole tier better.

9. Kavinci

Kavinci Aspirant (234) Apr 20, 2016 California
    Trader

All Trillium stouts. As well as Tree House stouts in cans.
    I just don't get Trillium bottled pastry stout ratings, they are ok but are way too thin and have been light on the adjunct flavors. I do like Tree House double shot bottles but all the Tree House canned stouts have been a disappointment if compared to other non BA stouts with similar ratings.
    Actually just drain poured an infected sour tasting PB PM Dawn moments ago, bummer I sat on this one.

AyatollahGold likes this.
  10. putonyourwalkingshoes

putonyourwalkingshoes Disciple (333) Jul 31, 2013 California
    Trader

Could be. Dont get me wrong it's good. We drank this before my brothers wedding in Mexico and it was consumed over a period of 1.5 hours fairly warm. I was shocked at how amazing it smelled when I cracked the bottle and when it got poured all that magic left. That's beer I guess bottle to bottle variation I'm sure as much as I've wanted bbt theres a couple subpar bottles where the booze feels disconnected from the rest of the base beer and other bottles are magical. Henna b3 smoked this on every level for a non BA beer and took me a whole lot less to trade... at the time.

eppie82 likes this.
  11. JapaneseZombie

JapaneseZombie Initiate (62) Jun 8, 2016 Washington
    Trader

Ive only had b2-b4

Thought b2 was viscous and amazing, unlike b3 & b4 which were a thin mess.

eppie82 likes this.
  12. stevepat

stevepat Disciple (364) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

Just tried Bearded Iris's Homestyle IPA, Ive heard a lot of love for the brewery and when i entered my review for this one I saw that it is 4.2 and some. My rating was under 3.6. to me it is an absolutely middling ipa. Nothing I would turn my nose up but certainly nothing worth mentioning.

13. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Devotee (433) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

Not trying to be rude to any individual that takes issue with what I am about to say, but I feels like it keeps coming up with breweries that were the first "big" well known brewery in their state. These breweries always seem to have inflated ratings for locals vs visitors. I think it's just the result of it being so much better than anything else that they have access to (without trading), that they end up rated higher than they perhaps should be with greater exposure.

14. AyatollahGold

AyatollahGold Crusader (795) Nov 28, 2016 Indiana
    Trader

And the fact that you're in Tennessee. I do love Tennessee, but not their beer selection. Unless you're in Nashville or Knoxville, it seems like you're in a total craft beer wasteland. So even on visits, I end up happy if I can find something as solid as Bearded Iris. So imagine what it's like living there. It wouldn't take long for those beers to turn to 5's.

jhavs likes this.
  15. Jimmylikesbeer

Jimmylikesbeer Initiate (87) Apr 27, 2017 Michigan
    Trader

For me it was Heady Topper. I made a trip out East back in April & hit Treehouse, Alchemist, & HF. I was so jacked that once we got to Stowe I hurried up & unpacked & went straight to the brewery. This was the 1st time I’ve ever tried the God of IPAs. It’s was an all right beer but not great (I had higher expectations) I enjoyed Focal Banger WAY more than Heady. Another 1 is Pliny the Elder. Although a really good beer I just didn’t see way all the hype around it now. Yes 8yrs ago I can see the hype.

16. AyatollahGold

Trader

Your Alchemist experience is like mine. Heady didn't blow me away (although I still love and respect it) and Focal Banger was great.
    As for Pliny, all I thought when I had it was "way too much crystal malt". I don't get the hype even if you took me back 8 years ago. I've not been in it that long, but still, just looking at was was there. I mean FFF has been making alpha king since the 90s, let alone others. Bells Two hearted. You could go on. So I think you could take me back to atleast the late 90s and I wouldn't be impressed. I traded a 6 pack of zombie dust for a Pliny and a beatification and I wish I would've kept the dust...

stevepat and Jimmylikesbeer like this.
  17. Jimmylikesbeer

Jimmylikesbeer Initiate (87) Apr 27, 2017 Michigan
    Trader

I hear ya....but 8yrs ago there wasn’t as many IPAs around then & I think it would’ve been worth the hype. I mean if Two Hearted wasn’t as widely available these days we’d be saying the same about it. Pliny & Two Hearted went back in forth as the #1 beer. My thing with Heady was....it just wasn’t that good. And I’ll be honest with you I think Zombie Dust is another overrated beer. I’ll probaly get slack for that.

jhavs likes this.
  18. AyatollahGold

Trader

No slack from me. I love it, but FFF got me into craft beer. I remember being blown away by zombie dust because I had never had anything like it. So I'm not saying it's not still a solid brew, but it is more of a nostalgia thing for me.

eppie82 and jhavs like this.
  19. stevepat

stevepat Disciple (364) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

I think the thing with pliny is that it appeals/appealed to the flavors a lot of the early craft consumers were into. My understanding of the history of craft beer in the US is that it was lead off with people trying maltier european beers and wishing they had more access to them stateside. Pliny is a pretty hoppy dipa by todays standards but years ago it would have been a beer with a lot of that robust malt flavor PLUS an uncommonly heavy hop dose. The US craft market has transitioned now to a totally different understanding on acceptable hopping levels and hop to malt relations.
    I also don't think pliny is all that good for the record and would take a two hearted any day

20. chitownfanatic21

chitownfanatic21 Initiate (180) Sep 25, 2016 Nebraska
    Trader

I'm going to say orange waxed assassin for me, I've had it on 3 different occasions, and I have not been a fan of it. The first two times I had it, I thought it was soy to me. The third time I had it, as it warmed it was decent, but wasn't blown away by any means.

21. narddawg314

narddawg314 Initiate (131) Feb 6, 2015 Missouri
    Trader

Rare???!?!?! WOW. Madagascar definitely does not age well.

The two I couldn't understand was BAIGCCS and Tete de Cuvee.

I couldn't get through half a small pour of BAIGCCS...sooooo cloying and sweet and I'm a pastry stout fan.

Tete was so underwhelming that I couldn't believe I just paid $60 for a bottle on-site. There's nothing special about it at all.

22. narddawg314

Trader

You shut your dirty whore mouth!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sabtos likes this.
  23. narddawg314

Trader

I was on board with Hudson Valley until I traded for 6 different cans and they all tasted the same. Never again!! If you want something like that, try a nice berliner weiss or a gose.

LeedsZimbabwe likes this.
  24. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (3,892) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

To each their own! I traded for a BAIGCCS & plan on drinking the whole damn bomber by myself. The pour I had in the taproom of the regular version this past spring was the best beer I had during Huna week. Can't wait!

Bum4ever likes this.
  25. LeedsZimbabwe

LeedsZimbabwe Initiate (100) Nov 23, 2014 New York
    Trader

Yep. Identical base beer, almost no variation whatsoever on their cans for over a year now. They did a sort of hilarious release; the same base beer they always make, and then one hopped with citra/galaxy, another with mosaic/azacca (I believe this is Hiding Place/Empyrean). I love galaxy, so I traded for a couple of each. There was no galaxy whatsoever in the galaxy one, and the second can, which supposedly contained different hops, was indistinguishable from the first. To this day I think they canned one beer with two labels. But it's so hard to tell with them. They are more of a label company than a brewery.

26. narddawg314

Trader

It's a delicious beer in a small glass, but a whole bottle?? You madman. I'll say a prayer for your colon.

spersichilli and maximum12 like this.
  27. jonphisher

jonphisher Initiate (172) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

Every beer rating, they are subjective especially when things like untappd and hype/brewery name causes automatic bias. That’s just my personal opinion no right or wrong answer here.

28. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Initiate (198) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Trader

That's probably why people are letting it go so easy in comparison to other vintages haha

29. osseo222000

osseo222000 Initiate (138) Jan 26, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

BC Rare '15. Honestly tasted more like a good bourbon with stout mixed in. Don't get me wrong, I love a good bourbon, but it was tough to power through more than a few ounces of this woody beast. I borderline agree with the ratings for 1 oz, but couldn't stand to look at it after 5 oz. If I wanted 1 oz of good bourbon, I would've opened a bottle of good bourbon.

Snowcrash000 and AyatollahGold like this.