What beer do you bring to a non "craft" friendly event?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jeastman, Feb 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeastman

jeastman Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2013 New Hampshire

So I am guilty, I generally buy a pretty cheap beer when I go to a football party or other event because I know other people will end up drinking what I bring and like it regardless (Not bringing BCBS to a party where people wold appreciate bud light just as much).

What is your go to beer for situations like this? I generally stick to any DFH beers as they are all drinkable, not hugely over priced and readily available.

2. LODGE4

LODGE4 Initiate (80) Dec 12, 2012 Florida

Blue Moon - very popular wherever I bring it to.

[​IMG]

3. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (333) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Anything I feel like drinking. And if someone wants to try it, I share.

4. Andrew041180

Andrew041180 Defender (651) Mar 15, 2013 Massachusetts

I went to a house-warming party a month ago and brought this. Everyone liked it and asked me a couple questions. I think I'll bring the Hefe to the next one, although that be too much for some.

[​IMG]

5. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (548) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Since I will be drinking any of several of the beers I am bringing, the decision is not for me to compromise.

russpowell likes this.
  6. OnWisconsin

OnWisconsin Initiate (0) Aug 14, 2012 Wisconsin

Usually a nice IPA and
    [​IMG]

7. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,967) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

There are events where "macro" beer and/or other types of alcohol are allowed, but are "non-craft friendly"?

I suppose ABI or MC stockholder meetings might fall into that category, but I would expect they're not "BYOB".

randal, BuckeyeOne, fooziex and 4 others like this.
  8. Ieatlambfries

Ieatlambfries Zealot (584) Dec 5, 2003 New Jersey

Sam Adams Boston Lager, or one of their basic seasonals i.e. Summer Ale. Because I like it, and most BMC drinkers will drink it as well.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  9. sajaffe1

sajaffe1 Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2013 Utah

Anything Sam Adams

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  10. JoeBloe

JoeBloe Champion (848) Nov 16, 2007 New York
    Society

sorry, I can't get behind promoting the Blue Moon/Coors-as-craft scene - I've brought Genny Cream Ale to many a summer gathering, where it was well received - last night I brought a 6 of Lagunitas Sucks to a party and it was gone in a flash -

VABA, kemoarps, cambabeer and 2 others like this.
  11. Boca-X

Boca-X Zealot (529) Jan 21, 2014 Missouri

Drink what you like and let others figure it out on their own. If they are interested in your brews they will ask, otherwise drink what you like? If it's about money and them drinking it regardless, then there are all kinds of inexpensive good "craft" beers out there in the $6 dollar a six pk range. Lots of brewers are making session beers that are priced right, less heavy but still have flavor, great for newbies and social get-togethers...time for some homework my friend. :wink:

12. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,323) Jan 6, 2014 New York

If its a party I do not compromise but I hang out with a diverse enough beer drinking crowd that most people bring what they want and then drink what they prefer. I'm in my late 30s so most of my buds drink pretty similar beer to me, so I, hehehe, look forward to parties.

I tailgate quite often, and this is a different story. What I have done in the past is buy PBR and "contributed" that to the kitty. I'll usually buy 3 or 4 six-packs of proper stuff, IPAs, strong lagers, stouts or porters if its cold out, keep it in a cooler close to me (out of sight) and casually mention to people I have better stuff if you want. Anyone can try, but I ask, respectfully, that if you have one and don't like it to go back to the regular stuff. Usually works out. I bring nice plastic cups to tailgates and have been known to bring a bomber or two to split. Brought a Ballast Point Victory at Sea my last tailgate, split it a couple of ways...went over very, very well.

13. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,360) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

14. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (341) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

For me its not the people but the situation. My friends generally like good beer, but if i'm going to the beach or the pool on a hot summer day I will usually bring Natty light or Coors light. Its cheap, easy to drink, and won't get me too drunk after a day of drinking. In the end, I like those beers too. Craft beers are awesome but there are very few beers I straight up don't like.

15. PSU_Mike

PSU_Mike Champion (840) Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or Victory Prima Pils

16. davidsumner

davidsumner Initiate (0) Mar 12, 2012 Virginia

Everyone who know's me, knows that I know a lot about beer. When I go to a social function with a lot of people who don't and or have no interest in "Craft" beer; my goto beer is usually Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale. I can find SN's Pale Ale at Walmart and it's a really great "middle of the road" / "gateway" beer in my opinion.

bozodogbreath and tolar111 like this.
  17. tkdchampxi

tkdchampxi Meyvn (1,052) Oct 19, 2010 New Jersey

I just bring something I want to drink. I will probably not bring any ultra-rare whales, but there are many good beers that are in the $10-$12 per 6-pk range, that I wouldn't mind bringing and sharing

18. will_eye_e

will_eye_e Aspirant (256) Jul 29, 2013 Florida
    Trader

Fat Tire in cans is what I provided at my son's 2nd bday.

TonyJ815 likes this.
  19. Chaz

Chaz Poo-Bah (2,114) Feb 3, 2002 Minnesota
    Society Trader

If I'm feeling cheeky, I'll bring a half-rack of my standbys (Carling's Black Label, Huber Bock), and if I am feeling my "local" pride, Hamm's. If I want to class it up? Summit E.P.A. Nobody has ever complained about E.P.A. or Maibock for that matter, and Summit even makes a Pilsener-style lager! But no light beer*, that is beneath me.

(*But I might sneak in a 5 Liter mini keg of "1919 Root Beer", for the kids. :sunglasses:)

20. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,025) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Years ago, I had an affilliation with a MC group and was spotted walking from a Harris-Teeter store with an AB brand- the outrage lasted for years and probably caused a few brain attacks. That was a valuable lesson in business- how not to be!

21. Storm21

Storm21 Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2013 Ohio

Yuengling usually.

AricGresko, Emnmarko, absyrd1 and 3 others like this.
  22. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Devotee (409) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

I, like many in this thread before me, have expressed that they bring whatever beer to most events that they want. To me, a non craft friendly event would be one where glassware will not be made available to me, something like fishing. In the case where I go fishing, I bring cans. Some of my go to beers are Two Brothers Sidekick and Dog Days, Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale and Mamma's Little Yella, and Revolution Anti-Hero. A pint of Canadian Club also seems to make its way out there as well.

JoeBloe likes this.
  23. Newbiebeer

Newbiebeer Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2012 Connecticut

Somethin with a cork.

fooziex and Modernrickk like this.
  24. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (341) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

that's a good point, I think a more interesting question would be "what beer do you buy if you know you'll have to drink from the bottle or can?" In that case I usually go with something simple but good, like a founders 6 pack or lagunitas lil sumpin sumpin.

25. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Devotee (494) Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

Something from Sam Adams. I can drink something of decent quality, and the other people there can still enjoy the beer I bring.

26. Krafty34

Krafty34 Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2014 Florida

I always try and bring a low ABV beer for everyone something like All day IPA or invasion pale ale

craftabrew407 likes this.
  27. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Zealot (571) Aug 18, 2012 New York

I don't care if people are not "craft" friendly, I drink what I want, when I want, and let people choose for themselves. I never alter my palate because some people think Coors is the best beer on earth (Spoiler: It's not).

Potatocrawler and Boca-X like this.
  28. Eamonn-Cummings3

Eamonn-Cummings3 Poo-Bah (1,912) Jan 23, 2014 New York
    Society Trader

Abita Amber, Sixpoint Sweet Action.

29. Yagman3000

Yagman3000 Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2011 New York

• If I'm looking to convert, DFH 60 Minute IPA can win over those on the fence that are ready to leave the kiddie pool.
    • If I'm not looking to convert, I bring over something with a high ABV (about 9% or higher). It scares away those that are "just browsing" and leaves something for me to drink.

WolfAlynn and bcp5296d like this.
  30. BubalooBrewMaster

BubalooBrewMaster Disciple (389) Feb 24, 2013 Nevada
    Trader

Hoegaarden.

Dope likes this.
  31. OPJohn

OPJohn Initiate (0) Oct 5, 2013 Florida

Homebrew (my house APA) if I have to share. If forced to buy a commercial beer, a local pale ale like Jon Boat.

32. TonyJ815

TonyJ815 Disciple (368) Apr 3, 2013 Florida
    Trader

Usually a Sierra Nevada or New Belgium 12 pack. Whichever is the $13.99 special at the moment at the local Publix. Crafty enough for me, cheap enough for them.

will_eye_e likes this.
  33. mj81

mj81 Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2013 New Jersey

21st amendment bitter American or an has centennial and such in cans now.

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  34. dkrep

dkrep Initiate (0) Oct 4, 2013 Wisconsin

In Wisconsin it's definitely Spotted Cow. Otherwise this summer All Day IPA will be going with me on many golfing/outdoors trips.

35. zp6167a

zp6167a Aspirant (250) Apr 19, 2011 District of Columbia

Usually either Yuengling or Sam Adams Boston Lager

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  36. cambabeer

cambabeer Meyvn (1,234) Dec 29, 2010 New York
    Fest Crew Society Trader

Lagunitas is a good way to go, I'll get a 6 of pils and of sumpin sumpin and that goes over well. Also some new belgium does well also, especially ranger. Those are good for parties because they're cheap but good. And if I want to be dirt cheap, I'll always go PBR

TonyJ815 likes this.
  37. benloho

benloho Zealot (525) Jan 4, 2011 Utah
    Trader

I typically will bring growlers to gatherings and try to get a couple of different options. If the crowd varies in their beer palate I'll usually bring something easy to drink like a kolsch or a pils, but from a craft brewery or somewhere local. I'm all about encouraging others to drink outside their norm and gain a love for the craft.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is also a great option, you can find it pretty much anywhere. Here in the south, Terrapin's RecreationAle is my go to session for outdoor outings, bbq's and such. And of course, there's nothing like sharing your own homebrew at a gathering.

Good brew is meant to be shared and enjoyed. Spread the love.

PSU_Mike and TonyJ815 like this.
  38. Joshmistake

Joshmistake Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2012 Minnesota

Victory - Prima Pils
    St. Bernardus - Wit
    Samuel Smiths - Pale Ale
    Schneider George Schneider's Wiesen Edel-Weisse
    Iron Fist - Renegade Blonde
    Lost Abbey - Red Barn
    BrewDog - Dogma
    Surly - Helles
    Bell's - Oberon
    Stone - Cali-Belgique IPA

hombrepalo likes this.
  39. oldsailor

oldsailor Devotee (416) Mar 18, 2008 Connecticut

Anchor Steam has been my go-to for these situations. Over the holidays, I switched to Christmas Ale...either way, can't go wrong with anything Anchor!

fx20736 and Crusader like this.
  40. will_eye_e

will_eye_e Aspirant (256) Jul 29, 2013 Florida
    Trader

Put this on a shirt.

BeerStone, sajaffe1 and TonyJ815 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.