What beer got you hooked on craft beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ohiolager, Apr 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeLenehan

MikeLenehan Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2013 New York

Like so many others here, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

elchicodelgado likes this.
  2. Dil_thebeerdrinking_do

Dil_thebeerdrinking_do Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2014 Georgia

The one that started it all. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

3. azorie

azorie Champion (877) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

in 1971 it was Bass pale ale on cask, way before most in America even thought about home brewing or the micro age. lol

4. Shinck14

Shinck14 Initiate (0) May 30, 2014 Kansas

Great Divide yeti 6 years ago. Ordered it just by the name and was blown away

5. jaswilson2

jaswilson2 Initiate (0) May 27, 2010 South Carolina

About five or six years ago it was RJ Rockers Patriot Pale

6. RoryG123

RoryG123 Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2014 North Carolina

Magic Hat #9 is my gateway beer

7. paparu

paparu Initiate (0) Aug 5, 2009 Kansas

My first snifter of dogfish 90min IPA.

8. TillTheMedicineTakes

TillTheMedicineTakes Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2014 Colorado

Probably was Sierra Nevada Pale ale. Whatever was the heady lot beer at the time.
    Sam Smiths oatmeal, Fat Tire back in the late 90s. Hoegaarden before InBev bought it.
    My things have changed.

9. Toonces

Toonces Initiate (141) Oct 25, 2005 New Jersey

The one that really did it was 90 Minute IPA, though there were a few other gateway beers that led me to it like Hoegaarden, and very importantly, Rogue Chocolate Stout, which was dirt cheap in my area and introduced me to stouts not named Guinness.

10. Tastesalot

Tastesalot Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2014 Virginia

I got hooked on craft beer about 2 1/2 years ago when a co-worker got a can of Heady Topper in a beer trade, and was good enough to share it with me. I could not finish the small amount he gave me because it was SO different from anything I had had previously. I obviously did not know what I was tasting. If I only knew then what I know now, I would have wrestled that can out of his hand. The Heady Topper magic spell is still there in my taste buds ...

11. _morandi_

_morandi_ Initiate (0) Jun 17, 2014 California

2006 living in San Francisco... Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout started it, Anchor Steam on draft everywhere cemented it.

12. flippinbird

flippinbird Initiate (0) Sep 27, 2013 Missouri

Since I live in St. Louis, mine was Schlafly's Dry Hopped APA. Pure hoppy heaven.

13. peteboiler

peteboiler Initiate (147) Dec 16, 2010 Florida

Funny little story. My fiance' and I took a Pacific Northwest vacation about 5 years ago. We liked drinking and have a good time, so we found a nice little pub in Portland, Oregon (Portland ROCKS, by the way). At the time, my beer of choice was Michelob Light (I know...I know). The server comes over to our little booth and asked us what would we like. I said, of course, Michelob Light. The server looks at me funny, and says something like "um, we don't serve that." I was like, okayyy. Anyway, I found out we stumbled into a craft beer taproom and didn't know it. Anyway, I ended up ordering a Fat Tire. I was SOLD!!! You may be able to imagine that a Fat Tire was worlds better than a Mich light! And yes, I realize that being in Portland, Oregon, I could have chosen some amazing local craft brews. How stupid was I. But that is my story. I had many a Rogue after that. Fat Tire still holds a place in my heart. But after all these years, it has been knocked down quite a few notches.

utopiajane likes this.
  14. Schnerds

Schnerds Initiate (0) Mar 25, 2014 Pennsylvania

Bear Republic Racer 5. I got about halfway through it and noticed that there was a flavor change, awesome!

15. Anhyzer

Anhyzer Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2007 Oregon

Summit's Great Northern Porter. But for hoppy, Bell's Two Hearted.

pudgym29 likes this.
  16. Petey_the_Quiet

Petey_the_Quiet Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2014 Florida

Dogfish Head 90 minute

17. SimcoeKid

SimcoeKid Zealot (591) Oct 12, 2013 California

Had a RR Conscecration on tap and was forever hooked.

18. mabermud

mabermud Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2006 Washington

1996 - Sierra Nevada Big Foot

19. stuckeyj64

stuckeyj64 Initiate (100) Mar 22, 2012 Indiana
    Society

Fat Tire opened the door and FW Sucaba kicked that bitch DOWN!

20. miwestcoaster

miwestcoaster Poo-Bah (1,959) Jan 19, 2013 Michigan
    Society

Bud Light and green bottle skunk Moosehead and Heiniken. Those sent me forever in the craft direction.

21. monketeeth

monketeeth Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2010 Florida

Chimay Blue, 1985 Gulf Hotel in Bahrain. Stationed there while serving in the Navy on the USS Lasalle. They had that, along with many other European favorites. Being from Pa., it was the first time that I tasted anything better than Rolling Rock, Yuengling and Genny. Never looked back from there.

22. neenerzig

neenerzig Poo-Bah (2,785) Feb 15, 2006 Ohio
    Society

Well when growing up, my dad, when he did drink beer and brought beer into the house that he had bought from the store, (this was in the late 80's and 90's when I was growing up) he would almost always buy the good beer. Of course back in those days the craft beer choices were, to say the least, extremely limited. Being that we lived and still do live in Cleveland that meant he had access to the early offerings from Great Lakes, such as Dortmunder of course along with one or two others. If it wasn't Great Lakes than it would be Sam Adams Boston Lager. Even when my dad would buy cheaper beer it'd still be something like Beck's that was still a step above Bud, Miller Coors, etc. My dad almost never bought BMC stuff. Even back then he knew there was better beer! :slight_smile: So from an early age when I had a sip or two of his beer once in awhile it was likely something that was not BMC. And later on in my teenage years when I'd swipe a beer or 2 from my dad's 6 pack it was likely not a BMC beer. From a very early age I knew what decent beer tasted like. Of course there were times in high school and in college before I was 21 where I drank my share of cheap BMC beer because I just wanted to get my hands on anything that could get me buzzed. I also credit a good friend of mine who is about 2 years older than me for introducing me to Corsendonk Pale Ale when I was 19 or 20. On Thursday December 11, 2003, the first time I went out to legally buy beer, the first beer that caught my eye was a bomber of Stone Smoked Porter. The blue font on the label and the gargoyle on the bottle sold me. And I've loved stone ever since.

Eric

23. ESCO138

ESCO138 Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2013 California

Lagunitas Lil Sumptin - That was my first of The IPA Crack Rock.

24. Mag00n

Mag00n Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2008 New York

Shipyard pumpkin got me into the beer store, where my eyes were open to the world of craft

ba yeti and ba speedway got me into ba stouts

cantillon kriek got me into sours

25. Robdn

Robdn Initiate (0) May 23, 2014 Ohio

Sam Adams Boston Lager and GLBC Dortmunder Gold got the ball rolling for me. DFH 90 Min. opened my eyes to what an IPA could be.

26. myhopsdontlie

myhopsdontlie Initiate (0) Jun 25, 2014 New York

I had drank a decent amount of craft stuff before this, but I think Hop Stoopid was the first one I really loved

27. tkdchampxi

tkdchampxi Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2010 New Jersey

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine

I remember that first sip and being FLOORED

28. troygreer

troygreer Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

29. JAntony345

JAntony345 Initiate (0) May 1, 2010 New York
    Deactivated

le fin du monde

30. sila5

sila5 Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2013 New York

Probably Sam Adams and the seasonals, but once I tried Sierra Nevada pale, and DFH 90 I really went down the rabbit hole.

31. AlpacaAlpaca

AlpacaAlpaca Crusader (707) Apr 2, 2014 New York
    Trader

Delirium Nocturnum. I bought my first on the basis of "hahahaha elephants"

32. TheRedOx

TheRedOx Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2014 Illinois

Anti-Hero for me. Just on a whim - my boss has been into craft beers for a couple years now and I never paid much attention but I wanted something different than Stella one week and grabbed a sixer of Anti-Hero (mainly because of the kickass can artwork) because I'd heard my boss mention it before.

33. SoxFan

SoxFan Aspirant (247) Jun 16, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

I'm a half hour away from this local brewery that was putting out some weird shit. "Not normal" as they call it. Buddy talked me into trying some Alpha King about 6 or 7 years ago. That was the gateway into fresh Zombie. Got hooked up with a Dark Lord Day ticket and it's been on ever since...

pudgym29 likes this.
  34. Spaten454

Spaten454 Disciple (385) Aug 23, 2012 Texas
    Trader

2011 Olde Hickory Event Horizon. I looked like a deer in the headlights after my first taste.

35. PEIhop

PEIhop Crusader (728) Dec 2, 2010 Massachusetts

Gulden Draak

36. Vestlake

Vestlake Disciple (313) Jul 16, 2013 Alabama

Abita Andygator. First time I really realized that there was better tasting beer at a higher ABV than I was used to.

37. Guzzle_McBrew

Guzzle_McBrew Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2014 Connecticut

Explored craft beer for years before, but Pliny blew my mind a few years ago and set me off. Fast forward a couple years, fresh Gandhi at Nebco completely pushed me off the deep end.

I can still recall the epiphany during certain batches of Gandhi off the Nebco draft lines. It is a beautiful thing.

38. jerefreakinmiah

jerefreakinmiah Aspirant (244) Feb 24, 2013 North Carolina

Sweetwater 420 and Terrapin Rye Pale Ale

39. vonnerbeer

vonnerbeer Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2010 Massachusetts

40. deadonhisfeet

deadonhisfeet Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2011 Kentucky

Pete's Gold Coast lager.

Don't look for it. It's been extinct about as long as the passenger pigeon.

pudgym29 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.