What beer got you into craft beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Todd, May 20, 2022.

1. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (2,602) Jun 18, 2010 New York
    Society

I got into craft beer in the mid-90's. So things like Rogue Dead Guy ale, Dundee's Honey Brown lager, and Sierra Nevada pale ale were what did the trick.

2. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Poo-Bah (1,962) Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Society Trader

Right from my beer drinking beginnings in the late 80s as a 16 year old I was curious to try everything. So things like Labatt Velvet Cream Porter and Champlain Porter opened my eyes to beers that looked different. The bar for the first concert I attended - and snuck into with fake ID at 16 - had a bottle special on McAuslan St Ambroise Pale Ale. I remember remarking how much flavour it had compared to the Labatt 50 and Molson Laurentide I was used to. I wasn’t quite sold on it, but didn’t dislike it. The following year at college, the student hang out in the small town was a brewpub called The Lion. I drank tonnes of Bishop’s Best Bitter and Lion’s Pride by the pitcher. Also, my residence was adjacent to the original Massawippi brewery (later becoming Unibroue) and I had more than a few of those while there. One town over, a great beer bar existed even back then in ‘90-‘91 called King Hall and I tried all sorts of weird and wonderful things like Samiclaus, Orval, Schlenkerla and more. I didn’t like them all back then (Orval was weird!) but I kept trying more.

So, I suppose I’d say lots of different beers from my beer drinking beginnings as a 16-18 year old from ‘89-‘91 or so. Since then, I’ve always sought out and tried new, usually craft beer when it crossed my path.

3. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (5,580) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

Lets see, back in college after I turned 21. I got to work with a professor in Chile, then Antarctica. Not that Chile then, was a bastion of good or even "craft" beer. Though there were several European like lager breweries (that I can't for the life of me remember now) but they were so much more interesting than anything I had had before, and maybe it was just the experience, I have no idea if those would hold up to what I remember them as now.

After that excursion, when I got back to the states, I did my field coarse in Montana that same year as well. Found Fat Tire, Moose Drool, and several other local breweries I had never heard of and really enjoyed. I got back to Illinois with a new taste of multiple different styles in countries and states I had never been to before, and just started to see what else was available. Anchor, Sierra Nevada. Goose Island, Bells. Then my friends and I would make special trips to St. Louis and pick up more New Belgium on occasion (when we could save up enough money).

Another professor would have these beers of the world parties at his house, open to students and faculty. People would bring any import they could. You put your offering in a cooler, and you were suppose to randomly pick any beer. That is how I first found Chimay.

This was all early 2000's, and I eventually found this site after looking up what in the heck was this near $20 four pack called Bourbon County...

ATL6245, SFACRKnight, SABERG and 6 others like this.
  4. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,842) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Society Trader

My first real craft was definitely Kwak and ironically I don’t dig it much now more than 20 years later. Rarely I will purchase one but certainly won’t bother buying their special glass.

Leffe was always a cracker in Europe and widely consumed and known but Delirium Tremens was my second and also true craft experience and I opened the Pandora’s box of unlimited Belgian beers.

Unibroue got me into Canadian craft, and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale into the US market.

It’s been a journey!

5. Jasonrm72

Jasonrm72 Defender (616) Apr 29, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

At some point in the 90s we decided to try a beer with fruit flavor! RIDICULOUS!
    We tried it more or less on a dare to ourselves. Turns out it tasted great and I can still drink it to this day and be perfectly satisfied:
    Sam Adams Cherry Wheat

Honorable mention to Pete's Wicked Strawberry Blonde which we tried next since the barrier was broken.

6. Rainintheface

Rainintheface Meyvn (1,008) Apr 30, 2007 Florida
    Society

Boston Lager for this Masshole

7. moodenba

moodenba Defender (613) Feb 2, 2015 New York

I loved the few Great Lakes beers (including porter) that found their way to the East Coast several years ago. For me, their beers still stand out from the pack as being perfect for my palate.

SABERG, PapaGoose03 and champ103 like this.
  8. dpc166

dpc166 Disciple (395) Jan 17, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Victory Hop Devil for me. Got it when I turned 21 at a good bar in State College. It's also my hometown brewery, so big bonus!

Spade, deanzaZZR, Bitterbill and 2 others like this.
  9. slander

slander Poo-Bah (2,369) Nov 5, 2001 New York
    Moderator Society

Dock Street Amber

Spade, Bitterbill, oneeye and 2 others like this.
  10. mickyge

mickyge Poo-Bah (2,065) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society

I only had an occasional beer and a guy in work was a BA and shipped beer out all the time out of our mailroom. I used to give him a “ discount” on the UPS charges. He gave me a Heady one day to try and I was hooked.

BigIronH, Bitterbill, oneeye and 3 others like this.
  11. NYR-Zuuuuc

NYR-Zuuuuc Devotee (403) Jan 1, 2013 Connecticut

Widmer Deadlift and Drifter.

Bitterbill likes this.
  12. dennisthreeninefiveone

dennisthreeninefiveone Initiate (159) Aug 11, 2020 New Jersey
    Trader

Anchor Steam in 1976, at a bat in San Francisco

13. carolinabeerguy

carolinabeerguy Champion (893) Oct 10, 2005 North Carolina
    Trader

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Sam Adams winter sampler packs somewhere around 2004.

HighwayChile and Bitterbill like this.
  14. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,671) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I've only seen 4-5 different Arcadia labels, so I'm guessing that Short's doesn't have the rights (ownership?) to all of the brands. Or maybe the production of the Arcadia beers so far is an experiment, and future releases will depend on the sales of what has been released. I think I've only seen one brand at a time on my stores' shelves, and they seem to sit awhile, so maybe it's not going well.

But you're right, the Shipwreck Porter is/was a very good example of a BBA beer, and I still consider it my all-time favorite in the barrel-aged category.

#94 PapaGoose03, May 20, 2022
    Last edited: May 20, 2022
  15. sethmeister

sethmeister Defender (674) Feb 21, 2007 New Hampshire

Sam Adams sometime back around 91 I think...

Cream Stout. Loved it. Haven't had it in years. Do they still brew it?

oneeye and Bitterbill like this.
  16. Cstamp3084

Cstamp3084 Initiate (98) May 3, 2020 Maryland
    Trader

Yuengling black and tan was the first beer I had that wasn't a AAL. I'd say it definably got me interested in trying different styles of beer. I tried just about every porter I could find after that.

Bitterbill and Shanex like this.
  17. dd53grif

dd53grif Poo-Bah (1,862) May 28, 2017 Michigan
    Society Trader

New Holland Dragons Milk. My adult son found it at a bar in St Louis and suggested I try it.

18. rousee

rousee Meyvn (1,071) Aug 13, 2004 Massachusetts
    Trader

There was a brewpub here in Boston back in the mid-late 80's called the Commonwealth Brewery. I had never tried beers that were brewed on premises before & I was probably only about 18 or 19 at the time. I loved their beers and was blown away by them--even enjoying the ones that were served slightly warmer (cellar temperatures) They also did bottle them and they were available at my local liquor store too.

19. beer_beer

beer_beer Defender (673) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Society

Buckler NA on a night ship to Sweden 4.5 years ago. Not a craft beer in itself, but opened the door to the wonderful world of craft and not so craft NA beer!

SABERG, PapaGoose03 and Bitterbill like this.
  20. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (5,439) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Non-aged La Folie base beer was the first time I had a beer and thought it was actually good. I enjoyed La Folie quite a bit too.

Then Boulevard's Imperial Stout X Coffee (2015) and Mikkeller's Beer Geek Breakfast reinforced the idea that beer could be grand and spectacular. Rochefort 10 was right there for me at the start too, indicating that I could enjoy more than coffee-forward imperial stouts.

oneeye and Bitterbill like this.
  21. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,685) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

THE Iconic IPA in the Northeast!

Cheers!

argock, SABERG, Urk1127 and 2 others like this.
  22. tolar111

tolar111 Champion (804) Aug 17, 2008 New York
    Trader

I shared one of those with my grandfather. When I showed him the label he gave an involuntary shiver and said, it's always cold on Dock Street.

oneeye likes this.
  23. 2_Beardz

2_Beardz Initiate (168) Apr 4, 2014 Florida
    Trader

mid-2000s at a craft beer bar in a suburb of Atlanta. I had a north coast red seal ale and it blew me away.

deanzaZZR, Bitterbill and oneeye like this.
  24. billlang

billlang Initiate (36) Jul 20, 2020 Pennsylvania

In the 80's it was Pete's wicked ale, then I had SNPA on tap, after 2 sips I thought how could anyone drink this bitter stuff. By the time I finished the glass I thought wow this is very different and good, so I ordered another then another. Thus begun my journey into craft beer!

25. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Poo-Bah (1,859) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

I’d say Sam Adams BL and Bass Ale. Also Pete’s Wicked. Plus there was a brewpub (Mountain Valley in Suffern, NY) we all went to in the mid 90s before I even knew what one was.

26. tigg924

tigg924 Poo-Bah (7,149) Apr 30, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society

Braurei Spezial Marzen. I had other craft beers before like Sam Adams Boston Lager that I thought was way to bitter, but this was the first beer that made me want to explore more. I was so impressed with the unique smoky flavor.

27. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Crusader (775) Jan 27, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

Hard to pin it down to one beer, but I would say something from Dogfish Head (60 min or Sao Paolo) and Pete's Wicked Ale. Definitely fell off the cliff after my first trip and tour of DFH. I blame my wife, then girlfriend, who had broken up with me for 2 weeks and my buddy and I took a weekend trip to some breweries. That was it!

SABERG, oneeye and Bitterbill like this.
  28. beerluvr

beerluvr Meyvn (1,232) Jan 2, 2001 Canada (ON)
    Trader

Old school super-premium domestic offerings from the mid-late 80's like Prior Double Dark, Erlanger, Stroh Signature, Christian Moerlain, good old Ballantine IPA. Things with more flavor and body than BudMillerCoors.

nomisugitai, oneeye and Bitterbill like this.
  29. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Aspirant (297) Jan 13, 2006 New Mexico

Half price import night at Dick's Liquors in Las Vegas NM back in the 70's. The difference between pre-Miller Lowenbrau and PBR was stunning. Then I married a French woman whose father introduced me to Belgian beer, and a BIL who was an over the road truck driver in Europe brought me beer from wherever he had been. But that was in 1981 and American beer had not even started to get interesting, at least not in my part of the country. So when American brewers upped their game I was very, very ready for it.

30. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,301) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Chile, Antarctica, Montana, hmm let's see; Are you a geologist?

SABERG, PapaGoose03, oneeye and 2 others like this.
  31. cl3

cl3 Disciple (339) Aug 16, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

Like a lot of Michiganders... Two Hearted.

32. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (5,580) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

Yep :slight_smile:

33. Sparty1965

Sparty1965 Initiate (52) Dec 11, 2021

Bell’s Oberon. Still a treat on a warm summer day.

34. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,297) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

Sounds like it was the Killian's Irish Ale that you had. I quite enjoyed it and was saddened when they changed it to a Lager.

rocdoc1 and russpowell like this.
  35. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,274) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

Red Hook ESB in 1993, which led to the rest of Redhook’s lineup, then Pyramid’s portfolio, then Newcastle Brown Ale, Pete’s seasonals, and on and on.

Spade, rocdoc1, SABERG and 4 others like this.
  36. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (2,081) Jul 2, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

A cultural icon around here. One of which I don't see many drink buy still respected fully

37. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,685) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Maybe Victory needs to come out with a hazy version!?! :thinking_face:

Maybe call it Hazy Devil? :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers!

Urk1127 likes this.
  38. slangtruth

slangtruth Initiate (121) Jan 8, 2012 Kentucky

I moved around the corner from Berkshire Brewing Company in 1997 and being able to walk five minutes or so to get an always fresh bomber or growler weaned me off the PBR and Rolling Rock. Got to watch them and the whole scene in the region grow up in the 20 years following - too many little OMGs in the years after to count. The early releases of Ghandi-Bot and Hoponius Union among many others were pretty special.

39. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,297) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

Besides the great imports that I enjoyed back in the 70s, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Anchor Steam Beer and the Ale, Stout and Porter from Newport Albion hooked me. I can't forget to mention Ballantine XXX was one I always bought through 3 decades.

rocdoc1, PapaGoose03 and oneeye like this.
  40. jkrich

jkrich Meyvn (1,432) Nov 1, 2001 Florida
    Society

Enjoying Samuel Adams Boston ale in the early 1990s while serving in the military put me on the road to enjoying craft beer.