What beer got you into craft beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Todd, May 20, 2022.

1. bowery

bowery Initiate (48) Jul 3, 2014 California
    Trader

Circa 2013 wegmans upstate new york availability - Hop Stoopid, Ommegang Abbey Ale, and Sculpin

2. XsoldoutX

XsoldoutX Meyvn (1,484) Mar 23, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Great spot. I’m from Philly and legit drove close to 5 hours a few years back to mainly just visit the brewery. Additionally the first time I ever had jackfruit was at Penn. Stellar stuff, stellar trip, eff the Pens.

3. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (4,537) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

What originally got me intro craft beer was moving to London and immersing myself in the English Ale culture. When I came back to Germany, I was on the lookout for English Ales, which wasn't easy and eventually led me to checking out craft beers as well.

I still remember thinking: "What's with all these fucking IPAs? Why can't I get any Red/Brown Ales or Bitters around here? Well, I eventually got into them new-fangled IPAs, but I still wish I could find some Red/Brown Ales more frequently or at all, for that matter, around here.

If I had to pick one particular beer though, I'd probably say Stone Arrogant Bastard.

4. WickedBeer

WickedBeer Poo-Bah (2,622) Sep 23, 2015 Alabama
    Society Trader

This may be a bit of an odd one, but I’ll never forget the first time I got a Smuttynose Gravitation. I hadn’t really explored true craft beer much at that point, and definitely hadn’t had anything in the realm of high gravity Belgian-styles. This threw me entirely for a loop, and introduced me to such a complexity of style I’d never known even existed (blissful ignorance, as it were lol). The rest was history.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. plaid75

plaid75 Poo-Bah (4,606) Jan 13, 2005 New York
    Society Trader

Killian's Irish Red and Saranac Pale Ale in 1994. Then SA, Pete's and SNPA soon thereafter.

6. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (5,409) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

I seem to remember drinking some pretty good casks of ESB and other traditional English styles at Wynkoop, probably 2010ish? Have been a few times around then, always loved that place.

7. micada

micada Meyvn (1,317) Jul 13, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Wife brought me Fat Tire from a conference. She brought me 3 Pliny The Elders after another conference. Those were other side of the country things that make you go hmmm. Locally, Souther Tier 2x IPA had a 7% ABV. Switched off from Molson beers during bowling and noticed a dramatic reduction of urine output. More flavor, more oomph, less urine. A winning Trifecta! Sadly, Southern Tier has gone down some rabbit hole of mediocrity, IMO.

8. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Zealot (598) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

Pickings were pretty slim in Laramie, WY circa 1980. Some college friends from other countries convinced me to try some new things. Cooper's Ale, Tooth Sheaf Stout and Guinness Extra Stout stood out. Also, Schmidt Dark from Philly and Rainier Ale when I started looking on my own. It was a couple more years until Sierra Nevada and Sam Adams showed up there.

Though the ultimate fault may lie with my grandmother, who gave me a sip of her PBR when I was 5...

9. h4ger

h4ger Zealot (508) Feb 5, 2011 Connecticut
    Trader

I'd guess it was Pete's Wicked Ale...love to find that again

10. randjuke

randjuke Initiate (176) Feb 13, 2010 Iowa
    Trader

Sounds crazy but the beer that made me realize beer was not all BMC lagers was Blue Moon.

11. jockstrappy

jockstrappy Devotee (448) Feb 18, 2006 Pennsylvania

Troegs Hopback and Weyerbacher Double Simcoe. Both of which currently can only be had at their respective brew pubs…which sucks lol.

12. dbl_delta

dbl_delta Poo-Bah (3,563) Sep 22, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Ha. I was a PBR devotee for decades - I think my body chemistry had adapted to an unvarying diet of PBR. Then our office had a home brew and chili cookoff. Talk about an OMG moment. That was in 2012 and I haven't looked back.
    So a home brew (or two, or three) got me into craft beer. The first commercial craft beer that just made my jaw drop was draft Stone Enjoy By 02-14-14. I was sitting at a tiny coastal South Carolina bar, and I remember watching a mouse run back and forth behind the taps. We made eye contact and he seemed to agree with my assessment.

rocdoc1, sharpski, oneeye and 2 others like this.
  13. mig100

mig100 Meyvn (1,400) Aug 3, 2014 Texas
    Trader

14. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Meyvn (1,164) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Anchor Steam and Liberty Ale, many decades ago.....then into more local stuff like Great Lakes Dortmunder and Eddy Fitz, followed by many other locals from Thirsty Dog, Liberty Street Brewing, etc etc
    There was also a beer from Christian Moerlein in Cincy, probably in the 1980's, that had a foil wrap around the top of the bottles and was a delicious beer! I think I still have a tin tacker featuring that beer.....there were many others - SNPA, Sam Adams stuff etc that came much later.....quite the journey!

15. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Champion (858) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio

16. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,490) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Sounds like you're thinking of the Christian Moerlein brand, the name revived by Hudepohl (pre-merger w/Schoenling). They even had a legal battle with Stroh, which had revived Schlitz's Erlanger - both brewers were claiming theirs were the only US beers that passed the Reinheitsgebot (Stroh's technicality was including "nationally distributed" in their promo material. CM had wider distro that the other Hudepohl brands - we got it in NJ - but not national).

Some BA's moms apparently liked it, too.
    [​IMG]

sharpski, PapaGoose03, oneeye and 4 others like this.
  17. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Meyvn (1,298) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

A bar I frequented in the late 90s got SNPA on tap. I tried it. I REALLY liked it. Then in the early aughts, I randomly came across Victory Golden Monkey and I was hooked. Closest thing I've had to an AAL since is Yuengling Lager.

18. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Meyvn (1,164) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Hey Steve - yep, that is the beer! (brand!), and those "BA Mom's" are looking pretty good to this old geezer! Haha!
    Here is the tacker I mentioned.....a bit dusty

[​IMG]

19. Ronmarley1

Ronmarley1 Aspirant (272) Jan 20, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Like many others, got introduced to Pete’s Wicked in the late ‘80s at The University of Akron. GLBC Eliot Ness really got the ball rolling around 1990.

20. Phoodcritic

Phoodcritic Crusader (772) Jul 3, 2014 Michigan

Stage 1, Initiation: Sam Adams Boston Lager
    Stage 2, Baptism: Founders Dirty Bastard
    Stage 3, Confirmation: Founders Curmudgeon's Better Half

21. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,758) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

But you joined BA in 2002. :thinking_face:
    I never heard of that beer style. Must be an English thing. :wink:

Bitterbill and oneeye like this.
  22. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,758) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Do you think Short’s uses Ringwood yeast for those beers? They might, but I wouldn't assume that they do… and if not, I imagine their beers would have a different character.

Bitterbill and PapaGoose03 like this.
  23. UrbanCaveman

UrbanCaveman Meyvn (1,109) Sep 30, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

A friend suggested I try Samuel Smith's Nut Brown while we were shopping for beer for a game night. That changed my perception of beer, as prior to that, I was only aware of the existence of AALs and Guinness.

From there, I tried a Taddy Porter, and also enjoyed that. But I didn't get fully aboard the "Okay, yes, I'm into craft beer" train until I picked up a sixer of Edmund Fitzgerald on a whim shortly afterward. Still love that one.

24. fuzzbalz

fuzzbalz Disciple (340) Apr 13, 2002 Georgia

Yep, been drinking beer for a long time....even before 2002:wink:

tolar111 likes this.
  25. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Aspirant (295) Jan 13, 2006 New Mexico

Every payday I'd buy Samuel Smith Taddy Porter, Oatmeal Stout or Nut brown Ale, Even though the bottles were clear I'd clean and save them-the huge pile of them is why my wife bought me my first homebrewing kit. She said fill them or toss them, I chose to fill them.

26. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (8,313) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

27. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,565) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I don't know if they use Ringwood, but you're right, it would affect the taste of the beers. I doubt if Short's ferments in open-top fermentor, and that may also be a factor.

I haven't tried digging into this Short's thing too deeply because when I try, I don't seem to get anywhere. By that I mean ownership of the labels or if they're paying royalties to the bank that holds the assets, etc. They may be brewing in the former Arcadia location in Kalamazoo for all I know. If so, then they'd be using the open-top tanks.

BigIronH and Bitterbill like this.
  28. TheHammer

TheHammer Poo-Bah (1,609) Feb 15, 2009 Canada (ON)
    Society

Creemore Springs Premium Lager - Way back before they got bought by Molson, this was the beer that woke me up to the fact that beer was more then just yellow Lager and Guinness.

29. Aphexwulf

Aphexwulf Initiate (18) Dec 25, 2020 Texas

After I received my degree in 2010 and got a job where my pay was doubled, I decided to celebrate and picked up what I thought were "high end" beers, but really they were just craft beers (Shiner, Samuel Adams, Dogfish Head, etc.).

Up until that point I had pretty much drank what all my friends drank, which was bud light, dos equis, and the occasional budweiser. I was completely blown away that beer could taste good, considering that stuff like bud light is an "aquired taste" because, let's face it, you never enjoyed it the first time you drank it, you just wanted to fit in with your buddies. Been drinking craft ever since, and I aim to try at least 1 new beer every week.

30. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (3,022) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

Saison Dupont. There’s a story here but that’s really all you need to know.

31. ZenAgnostic

ZenAgnostic Meyvn (1,265) Jan 27, 2011 Texas

probably Budweiser Private Reserve planted the seed, then later on Weihenstephaner Hefe sealed it

oneeye likes this.
  32. crazyspicychef

crazyspicychef Disciple (383) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

Pete's Wicked Ale
    Whitbread
    Sam Adams Stock Ale.
    Dock Street Amber/Illuminator
    Salvator.
    Stoudt's Honey Double Mai Bock.
    Bass Ale.
    Samichlaus. The first one blew my mind!
    Chimay.
    Just to name a few.
    Pretty much anything new in the late 80's early 90's!
    Oh yeah, can't forget J.W. Dundee's Honey Brown Lager.

oneeye, sharpski and PapaGoose03 like this.
  33. crazyspicychef

crazyspicychef Disciple (383) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

Man I miss the Christian Morelein!

BeerVikingSailor likes this.
  34. geocooley76

geocooley76 Initiate (37) Oct 3, 2019 North Carolina

I loved Pete’s Wicked!

35. meegs

meegs Initiate (44) Dec 19, 2008 Wisconsin

I was at a bar with a buddy around 1985 and the first local microbrewery in town had their Hefeweizen on tap. My buddy suggested I try it as it was “pretty good.” That beer was Sprecher Hefeweizen in Milwaukee. I loved it and it opened my eyes to what beer could be. Until that point I drank mostly Miller products….primarily High Life and Lite. Then I started to seek out anything that was different. I drank a lot of Pete’s Wicked Ale, Killians, Widmerand the like. Paulaner Hefeweizen became my favorite beer for a while. Then I got turned on to hops and have been a Pale Ale and IPA fan since. A few years later I discovered you could make beer at home. Now I’ve been homebrewing for nearly 30 years and I’m a certified level BJCP judge. This year I plan to brew German inspired beers and mix in a Pale Ale or IPA here or there. Cheers!!

oneeye, sharpski and seakayak like this.
  36. mae_day

mae_day Initiate (20) Oct 21, 2021 California

Probably Space Dust by Elysian. Not the most fancy or niche but this was the first craft beer I tried (probably cause it's so readily available) that opened my eyes to the fact not every beer tasted like weird water, sweaty armpits, or sickeningly sweet ichor.

HighwayChile and oneeye like this.
  37. IKR

IKR Savant (907) May 25, 2010 California
    Trader

Kulmbacher Monkshof sp?, quickly followed by Anchor Porter and Anchor Steam around 1984-1985. Once I found there was more to beer than yellow flavorless macros that was all she wrote........

Phoodcritic and oneeye like this.
  38. shlub

shlub Initiate (134) Jan 11, 2008 Minnesota

Late '80s; Summit Extra Pale and Lake Superior (now closed) Special Ale. Pete's Wicked was a staple too!

oneeye and Bitterbill like this.
  39. Rug

Rug Poo-Bah (1,896) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Either DFH 90 Minute IPA or Victory's Sour Monkey. Admittedly rather old school choices for a younger guy like myself but I've adapted to the current scene while still remaining grounded in the classics

oneeye and Bitterbill like this.
  40. Arassuil

Arassuil Initiate (40) Jan 21, 2008 Australia

I did dabble with Anchor Steam and Anchor Liberty and a few imports while in high school, but never really 'got into it' mainly because they were expensive and availability was erratic. As a Seattle native, I was drinking the Rainiers through the 1970's into '81. I started a new job and one of my workmates started raving about drinking 'yards' of this great red ale at an Irish pub. Well, I was expecting Smithick's or Kilkenny or some Irish import when we visited the pub, but found out it was this microbrew called 'Red Hook'.

Then, it wasn't that bland watery swill they sell these days, but a cloudy unfiltered malty brew that was very full-bodied. I 'got into' craft beer then and there. Unfortunately, at that time one could only find Red Hook, Hale's, Bridgeport, and Grants at certain pubs that were few and far between. So it was a treat when a local tavern near where I worked called 'The Irish Rose' started carrying a bank of microbrew taps. There was no doubt I was 'hooked' I thought it unfortunate when Red Hook made changes and started calling it 'ESB' when they started bottling it. It wasn't the same, but still good. The last time I had one I couldn't recognize it. Oh yes, loved the Ballard Bitter back then too.

oneeye and PapaGoose03 like this.