Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

What beer holds a special place in your heart and why?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ninjakillzu, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Ninjakillzu

Ninjakillzu Disciple (344) Oct 5, 2015 Washington

As for me, that special beer would be the Westmalle Dubbel, as it was the first craft/import beer I tried when I got into the craft beer scene.

sharpski, FanofHefe, john0721 and 6 others like this.
  2. DaverCS

DaverCS Devotee (486) Dec 9, 2014 Arizona

Alaskan Amber. Reminds me of my dad. One of the first beers we tried together, and his favorite when I was growing up.

3. TheWolf

TheWolf Disciple (305) May 26, 2015 Delaware
    Beer Trader

Ruination (the original). Why - the same reasons that everything we once loved and no longer can have hold places in our hearts.

4. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Defender (659) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio

This one

[​IMG]

And this guy....

[​IMG]

Anchor really got things going, when Fritz Maytag bought the "about to close" brewery 50 years ago this year in 1965....Anchor Liberty ale was first bottled in 1975, 40 years ago....long before Sierra Nevada began or the Boston Beer Co (or New Albion)....these beers will always be treasures for me, as they got me into drinking really good beer when I was a lad, and I still appreciate them today.

5. ericwo

ericwo Initiate (78) Aug 21, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Anderson Valley Hop Otten IPA because it was the beer that really turned me on to IPAs many years ago.

Spaceman_Jer and Brolo75 like this.
  6. VictorsValiant

VictorsValiant Disciple (328) Oct 14, 2014 Oregon

Two Hearted.

Because I didn't know what I had till it was gone. It was also the first IPA I ever had and was a big introduction into the craft scene for me.

7. Ipaupaweallpa

Ipaupaweallpa Aspirant (264) Dec 26, 2014 Alabama
    Beer Trader

Enjoy by. Last Christmas eve right before we wrapped the kids presents I popped open my first enjoy by ever. 12/26/14 . Amazing, like easier drinking than it is to breathe oxygen. It blew me away so much that I joined beer advocate the next night and am still continuing on my journey through as many new beers as I can find(and still drink enjoy by all the time) to find that same blown away feeling with another new one. Most recent was alpine Nelson. OMG.

8. oldn00b

oldn00b Savant (904) Feb 23, 2015 Virginia
    Beer Trader

A few:
    Legend Brown Ale - I don't like it as much these days but back in college on $1 Virginia Pint night, this was my go to. $4 pitchers of that in the fall were about perfect.

SN Pale Ale - it's the first craft beer I really started drinking regularly and was my go to at bars for years. Ubiquitous and good.

Arrogant Bastard - that's the beer that really opened my eyes to the world of craft about a decade ago. Had no idea beers like that existed until a beer enthusiast co-worker sat me down to do a proper beer tasting and this was the standout. Ruination falls into the same category for the mostly the same reason.

john0721 and PatrickCT like this.
  9. jae

jae Initiate (188) Feb 21, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

Orval. My first "funky" beer.

sharpski, lwhcchh, Tdizzle and 6 others like this.
  10. SaisonRichBiere

SaisonRichBiere Champion (883) Mar 23, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Wolverine Amber Lager- A friend of ours was dying of cancer, and we held a fundraising Disc Golf Tournament for his bills. My brother went to Wolverine in Ann Arbor, and explained that we were looking for some beer for the event. One of the people there cut him a good deal on cases of the Amber Lager, and he walked out with the back of his truck full of cases. On the day of the Disc Golf tournament, we had our bags full of discs and Amber Lager bottles, and had a great time celebrating and fundraising for our friend while he was still with us and able-bodied. Any time I drink one now, I remember a great day of friends coming together for a sick friend, and enjoy a bottle in memory. A cool gesture by the guys at Wolverine to help us out too.

zid, dumbrule, MikeP64 and 6 others like this.
  11. mcomben

mcomben Initiate (161) Dec 2, 2008 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Founders Breakfast Stout - back in college, when price mattered more than taste, there was one night a week when I didn't need to compromise. Michigan Beer Night at the Brass Cafe. $2.25 Michigan brewed bottles 8 pm - close. I probably didn't realize it then, but looking back on it now, that's the beer that turned me on to craft...my wallet & available fridge space hasn't been the same since.

Some hazy nights and sketchy bike rides home after those nights.

12. LennyOvies

LennyOvies Defender (658) Jul 22, 2015 Mexico
    Beer Trader

Loba Negra (brown porter), one of my first craft beers and the first to make me go "WOW". I haven't tried it for quite a long time now, but surely it won't blow me away now, just good.

Brolo75 and ONovoMexicano like this.
  13. Dan_K

Dan_K Devotee (409) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Beer Trader

La Fin Du Monde- Loved this beer many years ago, introduced it to my neighbor, it became his favorite beer. And now he has moved away.

Fat Tire- Drank a lot of this in college, finally got me away from BMC brews for good. Also, tried a super-fresh pour at the brewery and I remember how good that tasted.

14. Lucular

Lucular Meyvn (1,293) Jun 20, 2014 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Same here with Orval. It's the beer that turned me into a beer lover and made me realize that while Blue Moon and Yuengling are fine, beer can be so much more.

lwhcchh and Rollzroyce21 like this.
  15. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Zealot (537) Nov 5, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Probably Guinness. Early on, I was always the one person drinking that black, chewey beer when everyone around me was drinking Coors Light.

16. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,226) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Ayinger Celebrator. It showed me that German beer isn't just that skunky green bottle section of the Winn Dixie cooler.

17. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,015) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Samuel Smith RIS on
    Thanksgiving on 11/25/2010. It was my first beer I reviewed on Beer Advocate and first Imperial anything I ever tried! Of course I gave it a 5 score! :slight_smile:

Since, I've dialed that score back to a 4.56...almost 1,500 beers sampled to compare, it's no longer perfect but still great.

Brolo75, TongoRad and ONovoMexicano like this.
  18. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,297) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I have a few....

Macro:

Pabst Blue Ribbon: the first beer i ever liked let alone loved. I see why it gets a bad rep. Budweiser is even amazing compared side by side to it. But i still enjoy multiple of these boys on occasion

Becks: id like to say heineken here because of my father but becks was the high class beer for me back then. And i still love it to this day.

Red Stripe: it gives me the shits, and makes me sick, but i remember my father drinking these and loving that HOORAY BEER commercial.

Keystone light: high school, beer pong, parties. It still the best light beer in my opinion

Micro:

Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA: my first IPA ever. I still remember a distinct floral taste i havent duplicated since, which was a one time experience only sadly.

Porkslap: the first craft beer i regularly bought. every Friday id buy two sixers

Boston Lager: the first beer i ever threw up lol. Drank a sixer in one night, woke up the next morning and immediately puked. I still go back to it.

Beer has been big in my life. A lot of memories with certain beers. This was cool.

pro100, TongoRad, vwbus7 and 3 others like this.
  19. matcris

matcris Savant (968) Sep 17, 2015 Arizona

Torpedo. First IPA ever. Man, was that first taste good.

Tdizzle, MikeP64, Brolo75 and 2 others like this.
  20. cl3

cl3 Aspirant (291) Aug 16, 2013 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Blatz. It was a dollar a bottle at a couple of the bars back home, for years. My friends and I pretty much drank it exclusively. I still get a bottle when I go back home for nostalgic purposes, but I think it's up to $2.00 or more theses days.

dumbrule and vwbus7 like this.
  21. Casterbridge

Casterbridge Disciple (375) Mar 26, 2010 Connecticut

1987 Thomas Hardy's Ale, consumed somewhere around 1994-1995, because it blew open the doors of perception in a way that even Bigfoot back then could not do.

LuskusDelph, TongoRad and paulys55 like this.
  22. Brolo75

Brolo75 Poo-Bah (1,678) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout, first import that truly impressed me 20 years ago.

23. smanson56

smanson56 Savant (923) Feb 15, 2014 New Hampshire
    Supporter Beer Trader

I think maybe it is MBC Dinner. I was at there release in April of this year and it had to be the worst release I've ever been too. I'll never go back again I don't care how much people say it has improved.

24. thepenguin

thepenguin Devotee (423) Aug 8, 2010 United Kingdom (Scotland)
    Beer Trader

Nugget Nectar. When I first got into beer I was a real hophead from the start and NN only fed that flame. It has one of my favorite displays of label art and I recall the pains I went through in college to track down cases of NN when it came out each year, taking buses to the state-run beer store (PA) and hauling cases back to campus, which everyone I knew thought was nuts. And I would do it all over again.

RutgersBeerGuy likes this.
  25. BalancingBrooms

BalancingBrooms Disciple (346) Aug 22, 2013 Louisiana

my first homebrew. Wow that was a mess

vwbus7, LeRose and thepenguin like this.
  26. slander

slander Site Editor (1,785) Nov 5, 2001 New York

Bert Grant's Perfect Porter.

It was this beautifully peaty thing, like nothing I'd had before or since.
    He sold the brewery, they turned it into a chocolate milkshake, and then they killed it off completely.

27. NJhiker1

NJhiker1 Initiate (119) Sep 3, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Great Divides Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti

It was the fries craft beer I ever had and it blew my mind that beer could be good.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  28. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Poo-Bah (1,710) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Tripel Van De Garre. Shared it with my wife at De Garre in Bruges after an amazing day.
    [​IMG]

sharpski, Tdizzle and jaydoc like this.
  29. Sir_Whats-his-face

Sir_Whats-his-face Initiate (147) Mar 2, 2015 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Widmer Hefeweizen. I know it's not a great beer, and I don't really go out of my way to buy Widmer's beer, but it was the first "good" beer I ever tried, so it has nostalgia value.

Tdizzle and MikeP64 like this.
  30. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Disciple (389) Oct 19, 2006 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale - mid 80's. Changed my beer habits. I went from buying $4 cases of Huber to $8 6 packs. I never went back to BMC for personal home consumption. I still had to drink MGD/etc. in bars with friends, but never again at home.

sharpski and microbrewlover like this.
  31. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (1,981) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware

For me it is Long Trail Ale. Many a ski trip was spent enjoying that beer.

dumbrule and cavedave like this.
  32. Raime

Raime Meyvn (1,248) Jun 4, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Yes yes I know, not fancy. But it was the first beer I ever drank yearssssss ago in high school. Still better than virtually any AAL out there. And still as cheap as ever.

33. Stevem68

Stevem68 Meyvn (1,038) May 14, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Anti-Hero: Just one of those old reliable beers that is always good. not he best but one of my first favorites and every time I go back to it it doesn't disappoint

KBS: My first "Whale", at least to me. This also showed a complexity of flavor that made me appreciate beers with more flavor than most shelf stuff. Not the best ba beer I've ever had but each time I have one I sit back and enjoy it.

34. Jacobob10

Jacobob10 Poo-Bah (1,580) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Subscriber

Ommegang Abbey Ale. Discovered it while in college and many good times were had while drinking that beer. Had an opportunity to try a Cave-Aged version and it opened my eyes to the effects that aging/cellaring can have on a beer.

35. puck1225

puck1225 Meyvn (1,215) Aug 14, 2015 Texas

Orval. Had it the summer after high school while in Belgium, at the abbey. At 54, I still drink it only for special occasions.

sharpski, lwhcchh, john0721 and 3 others like this.
  36. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (2,503) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Supporter Beer Trader

I don't drink it very often anymore more but DFH 60 Minute definitely holds a special place in my heart, first craft beer I ever tried.

Reemer686 and oldn00b like this.
  37. MicTar

MicTar Initiate (0) Jul 20, 2015 Texas
    Beer Trader

Guinness - my first stout that I remember drinking.

As for another beer I really don't have one that stands out per say cause there are so many that I drank before I learned to appreciate beyond this taste like crap to this doesn't taste like crap.

38. pants678

pants678 Crusader (758) Jan 26, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Gulden Draak was my first "wow" beer and I still love it

Mtj28 likes this.
  39. paulys55

paulys55 Zealot (587) Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Pete's Wicked Ale - first beer I drank to drink and not just to get drunk
    Guinness Draught - went several of my early drinking years where this was all I drank
    Bell's Two Hearted - first IPA for me and though Pete's WA and Guinness opened the craft door to me, Two Hearted kicked me through it

BrewMaven, gopens44, Oidmoe and 2 others like this.
  40. Rollzroyce21

Rollzroyce21 Meyvn (1,028) Oct 24, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

HotD Adam - no other beer tastes like it, still!
    Avery Salvation - got me into this wallet-draining craft
    Orval - long live the queen!

JouerAvecLeFeu likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.