What Beer Name Butchering Have You Seen on Menus?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BeerNDoggerel, Dec 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerNDoggerel

BeerNDoggerel Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2011 Illinois

Is it that people can't spell and/or proof-read in my home area (which would be an indictment for me, as I'm a high school English teacher), or is it a common phenomenon: the butchering of brewery or beer names on local restaurant menus.

The hottest new restaurant in town lists a number of "Rouge" beers (including Yellow Snow), and it has Founders' "Red Rye." Another local hotspot has Founders' "Red Eye" on its menu.

What are the worst brewery and/or beer name butcherings you've seen?

2. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2011 Minnesota

Hop Stoopid

luwak, flayedandskinned and ant880 like this.
  3. TheSixthRing

TheSixthRing Grand Pooh-Bah (3,195) Sep 24, 2008 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

Not a butchering of the name, per se, but Buffalo Wild Wings lists Bud Light Lime under their Craft Brew menu. :grimacing:

4. mychalg9

mychalg9 Pooh-Bah (2,061) Apr 8, 2010 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

Laguintas

dieBlume and smutty33 like this.
  5. Jules11788

Jules11788 Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2011 California

I just smashed my head against the desk to clear it of that thought. But hey, what do you expect from a place that calls themselves "B-Dubs"

6. dmoser

dmoser Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2009 California

i don't understand why the name is so hard to pronounce that they even put it on the bottles. Almost daily I hear la-goon-tas.

7. flayedandskinned

flayedandskinned Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2011 California

The one that pisses me the most off is when IDIOTS call them Lah-Gwah-nee-tas. Like they are from Mexico or something. The said thing is that my store is like 25 miles from the brewery and some of my co workers still call them that.

8. dmoser

dmoser Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2009 California

rhymes with agua or emphasis on gwan like rasta for going gwan? funny thing is that it is a spanish pronounced word so it's not like they are mexico or something. i live in paso robles though where every local butchers the correct pronunciation of the name so badly that when people say it correctly they get looked at like they "ain't from 'round here".

edit first part: if american is a subset of the english language then so can be mexican to spanish. that said mexican is the easiest language to pronounce if seen in written form.

Beeranator likes this.
  9. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

My favorite was the website (no longer up, unfortunately) for a store in the Jersey City NJ area that apparently verbally listed the names to whoever was setting up the site. They sold Magic Cat, Bass L and Heart brands, among others. There were a few other misspellings, including leaving the "u" out of Guinness, but IIRC they did add an extra "u" to another brand's name to make up for it.

Yingling (sometimes even Ying Ling) is always popular on the east coast, as are the Canadian imports, Molsen and La Batt.

Geography is always a problem, too. Just saw Heineken listed as a "Scandinavian" style of beer. Blue Moon is from Belgium, Killian's from Ireland as is Guinness Extra Stout, despite what the labels themselves read. And many people, when selling Pilsner Urquell, seem to not have gotten the word that there is no longer a country called "Czechoslovakia".

dieBlume and vacax like this.
  10. Lutter

Lutter Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2010 Texas
    Deactivated

Sam Addams.

He's Sam Adams's creepier and cookier brother-in-law.

11. JonnyBeers

JonnyBeers Savant (1,187) Oct 24, 2012 Canada (BC)

Delirium Tremors Belgian Strong Pale

cnbrown313 likes this.
  12. NickyDee21

NickyDee21 Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2011 Pennsylvania

Haha, for the most part true. I have found a couple B-Dubs that actually have solid craft beer selections, though. Varies from franchise to franchise

13. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Pooh-Bah (1,645) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society

And sadly probably charge a craft price...which is criminal as NO BMC product should be priced like craft. Could you imagine getting jacked @ a wine bar for a Charles Shaw wine?

flayedandskinned likes this.
  14. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Pooh-Bah (1,645) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society

Lol only a GOON would epic fail on a product that supplies the consumer with it's own pronunciation. :wink:

15. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2011 Illinois

16. Ryan2BSU

Ryan2BSU Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2012 Indiana

The B-dubs in my hometown is starting to carry more craft beer which is great! On several occasions they have had Zombie Dust on tap!

17. bushycook

bushycook Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2011 Virginia

I had to order a Trappiste "Roquefort" one time. Cheese on the brain I guess.

18. BlueRogue

BlueRogue Initiate (0) May 1, 2011 Maine

I've seen Maine Beer Co. listed as Portland Beer Co. So I guess they'll be Freeport Beer Co. when they move next year.

ironchefmiyagi13 likes this.
  19. MrOH

MrOH Grand Pooh-Bah (3,331) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society

I once saw Williamsburg AleWerks Chesapeake Pale Ale as coming from Brooklyn. I guess the Williamsburg neighborhood in Brooklyn is a lot trendier than Williamsburg, Virginia, and it'd be easier to move it with that association in East Passyunk in South Philly.

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  20. TheJollyHop

TheJollyHop Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2009 California

That is the first legitimate mistake in this thread that I could let slide...

dieBlume, marine1975, JohnB87 and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.