What beer(s) did you have on this date? Has your opinion changed?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SerialTicker, Oct 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SerialTicker

SerialTicker Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2012 Michigan

Entirely explained in the title ... what beers have you had on this date last year, the year before, etc.? Do you prefer that beer more now, or like it less? What beers from the style does it compare to, or pale in comparison to?

I've had quite a few days on this day surprisingly...

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' by Lagunitas ('12)
    Bud Light by those guys ('12)
    Dragon's Milk by New Holland ('12)
    Busch Light by those guys ('15)

I haven't had A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' since the first time I had it, but I recall it being like an amped up Lagunitas IPA, which is a beer I already really enjoyed.

Bud Light, well... yeah. I understand that people hate it universally on BeerAdvocate, but at least it's inoffensive. I felt that way when I first had it (yes, October 12th 2012 is the first time I tried it), and I feel that way now. Obviously it's still a shitty beer. I prefer "full flavor" adjunct lagers (those not labeled "light" or "lite"), but this is a fine 4% beer if you don't have the money for something better and just want to play beer pong.

Dragon's Milk I didn't care for a whole lot when I had it, and I've not had it since ... I know I'd score it higher if I were to try it again. I had Dragon's Milk w/ Raspberries a few months ago and thought it was pretty tasty. Since I like big stouts way more than I did three years ago, I'd definitely like it more now... I should probably pick up a bottle next time I go to the store.

Busch Light is the worst beer I've ever had to this point, I think. Metallic corn water ... that's all it is. The metallic smell and taste is what throws me off. The flavor of alcohol water with liquefied pennies is not an appealing flavor to me.

Stignacious and Roguer like this.
  2. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 Minnesota

I disagree. I can drink and enjoy most light AALs, but not Bud Light. It tastes like corn urine.

yemenmocha and PatrickCT like this.
  3. Crim122

Crim122 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

I wish I knew! I do not log my beers :/

JrGtr and riverlen like this.
  4. bier4brkfst

bier4brkfst Initiate (0) Oct 20, 2013 Oklahoma

Is there a quick way to check this on Untappd?

kerry4porters likes this.
  5. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,544) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

While I don't keep a log, I distinctly remember that Columbus Day last year was rainy and cold I had enjoyed Wake Up Dead Nitro.

6. Shafaegalo

Shafaegalo Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2014 Texas

This date last year (10/12/14) I had a Smuttynose Pumpkin...apparently didn't care for it that much with a rating of 3.22. Could probably say I wouldn't enjoy it today but then my tastes have changed since last year. 2015 I have really gotten turned onto sours and my pumpkin beers this year have been dark pumpkin pie tasting (Pumpkinator, Nightmare on 1st Street)

7. hopnado

hopnado Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Michigan

No beers on 10/12/14. I don't recommend that to anyone

8. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,659) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Very cool thread idea, Alex!

On Oct 12, 2014, the beers I had for the first time were:
    -Steadfast 2nd Anniversary - Gluten-free Bier de Garde. I am still, somehow, literally the only person to review or even rate this brew! Anyway...no change. I didn't like it enough to warrant a second purchase.
    -Stone/Smuttynose Cluster's Last Stand - haven't had it again, but I liked it quite a bit when I had it. If anything, I've developed more of a liking for old-fashioned, unapologetically bitter IPAs.

Though I haven't had either ever again, I wouldn't have hesitated to double down on Cluster's; and I likely will not ever again try Steadfast's 2nd Anniversary.

cavedave, DaverCS and SerialTicker like this.
  9. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Devotee (402) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

I go to my coworker's house once a week and drink Busch Light. I usually tell him it has the same taste as the smell of plastic mold injection.

10. SerialTicker

Why thanks!

I had a beer a few weeks ago that really did taste like plastic... I can't remember what it was, but that's a good comparison.

Quick way? I don't think so...

I also forgot to add that I had Dark Horse Raspberry Ale today ... I feel the same way about it now as I did when I first tried it a little over three years ago: it could use a little more raspberry.

11. Kubishark

Kubishark Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2015 Maryland

Wouldn't it taste like rice urine?

Pantalones likes this.
  12. hopnado

hopnado Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Michigan

On 10/13/14 If that counts, I had a Pyramid Apricot Ale which was total ass. I call them 'after the fact' beers. Basic beers that taste like the brewer threw in a couple drops of fruit extract right before the bottling stage

13. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 Minnesota

One or the other. Technically that seems more likely. I've avoided it long enough that I have finally forgotten exactly what it tastes like - I just remember not being able to stand it when I was into Coors Light.

14. smanson56

smanson56 Champion (807) Feb 15, 2014 New Hampshire
    Trader

Sorry to say I don't keep a record of beers I have had on any certain date. I know I could sort all the beers I rated by date but alas that would cut into my beer drinking time today. It's a fun idea maybe some day this winter when it's 30 below and I have nothing better to do I'll take a shot at it. Besides as many years as I've been drinking the number of beers might just cause a heart attack.

Shroud0fdoom and TongoRad like this.
  15. FightinIrish88

FightinIrish88 Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2014 New Jersey

I can't remember what beer I had on this date. I would have to look at my ratings to see If I had date that matches, even then that doesn't touch the amount of beers I've had.

16. McMatt7

McMatt7 Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2014 Pennsylvania

On October 14 2014 I had the Bruery's Autumn Maple. My review:

"Interdasting, drank slow, got hot, drank slower, got hotter, delicious spice, sweet, enjoyed."

Looks like a drunken phone review. I gave it a 4.25 tho, that's the best score i've ever given a beer brewed with yams.

Hopefully i get to revisit this one.

17. Pantalones

Pantalones Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2014 Virginia

I don't have any record of exactly what beer I might have had on this date last year, but since the first beer picture I took (Farmhouse Red from the Blue Moon variety pack) was dated October 22nd, it's likely that I was drinking Blue Moon Harvest Pumpkin Ale on the 12th, if I had a beer that day at all. That was the first six-pack of beer I ever bought.

I haven't had that one again since then, though, so I'm not sure if my opinion has changed or not. I remember thinking it was okay but wishing the pumpkin/spices were more noticeable... I suspect I'd be able to pick them up a lot better now since the general "beery" flavor that used to seem so strong in almost everything I tried back then is something my taste buds have gotten used to over time.

18. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,864) Dec 1, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Nice thread idea, the only issue for me is that 10/12 has been a day off from drinking in every year since I've joined BA except 2013, and today will follow suit. What the HELL is the matter with me????

On 10/12/13: Clown Shoes Genghis Pecan and Central Water BB Scotch Ale were my choices and my ratings are in keeping with my current feelings. The former was a decent but unexceptional brown ale with minimal pecan flavor, while the latter is a very good barrel aged scotch ale in line with other CW brewer's reserve offerings; tasty, drinkable, not so massive they are one-and-done material.

10/12/10: Hadn't joined BA yet so let's just say I was drinking....GI Rare and Cantillon Blabaer...seems likely.

19. LennyOvies

LennyOvies Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2015 Mexico

Not there yet, I just recently started my craft beer journey on last April.

20. Gemmell

Gemmell Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2014 Illinois

When I get off work tonight I plan on drinking a Burial Beer Co. Skillet Donut Stout. So bring this back to life in about one year, and I will drink that beer again and say it was delicious. As for this time last year, I was still drinking awesome beers and enjoying them just as much. HOOORAY BEEEEER!!!

21. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,991) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

22. Beef_Curtains

Beef_Curtains Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2013 Ohio

23. scottbrew4u

scottbrew4u Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2005 Pennsylvania

10/12/14 I had Back in Black by 21st Ammendment. Thought it was decent not great with a 3.5 score.

24. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,401) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

Cool thread idea. Oddly enough, the only time I've logged in a beer review on this site on October 12th was exactly ten years ago in 2005, and it was three beers.

Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale (3.81) - I'd say I still agree with my old review.

Amherst Brewing Co. Righteous Red (2.81) - I had this on cask at ABC, apparently didn't care for it very much, and now it is retired.

Paper City Hop Monster (3.80) - I remember this one since I drank four of them under the impression it was a regular IPA and have no recollection of the car ride home (don't worry I wasn't driving). Turns out it was an Imperial IPA clocking in at around 9%. Whoops! I haven't had it since then and it looks like nobody has written a review of it on BA since Nov 2012, although there have been a few "hads" since then.
    Going to have to disagree with you here. Bud Light is the only beer on the planet that gives me a headache every time I have one. I'm fine with Miller Lite, Coors Light, even Budweiser, but Bud Light makes me feel like garbage to the point that I'd rather not be drinking at all.

25. Hamilax

Hamilax Initiate (53) Feb 3, 2015 Florida

On 10/12/2014 I had Samuel Adams Fat Jack Double Pumpkin and Spooky Tooth Imperial Pumpkin Ale by Fat Head's. Like the Spooky Tooth better.

26. kerry4porters

kerry4porters Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2012 Arizona

#26 kerry4porters, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  27. jwheeler87

jwheeler87 Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2011 Massachusetts

Crazy some of you know these. Must log everything

I might have had beers on this day. If I liked them I probably had them again. If not I did not.

Something like that.

28. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (848) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Too much scrolling on u tapd to keep looking.

Enjoy

29. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (4,967) Dec 25, 2003 California
    Society

Firestone Union Jack.

Not possible for me to love it more.

30. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,348) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Agreed. We should do this again some time. It's like the Time Hop app for beer reviews.

Reviewed two beers last year on this date: Elysian Punkuccino which I was stoked to have, since I traded for it, but was quite underwhelmed. Also Unknown's Over the Edge IPA which was meh. Neither have I revisited since then.

On this date in 2012: Reviewed the bottled version of Biere De L'Amitie, the Green Flash/St. Feuillien collab and did not like it. I had had it a month before on draft and loved it. The bottling date was 22/04/12 so it was six months old. Was a good lesson on bottled imports and how they don't hold up well. Have not revisited the beer since then since I believe it was a one-off.

So none of the beers I reviewed on this date in the years applicable lived up to my standards. Interesting.

Sidenote: When I went to look at my Beer Hads, I noticed that the beer I just reviewed (Alewerks BBA Porter) says that I reviewed it on 10-13-2015...it's the 12th. I did a review in the future man! Wonder what's responsible for the glitch.

31. LittleDog

LittleDog Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2014 Texas

Likely I had gallons of my homebrew. Springing from that assumption there's a 10% chance I gagged. 80% chance it was pretty decent. 8% chance it was great and I thought I should go pro. And 2% chance it was so good I ferretted the recipe every where I could think of; hoarded any remaining bottles, and rubbed the contents on my nipples as a sacrifice to Ceres before drinking the rest in a darkened corner of my work shop.

Or I was too busy to drink.

Brutaltruth likes this.
  32. SerialTicker

Nice to see some interest in this thread ... I think it's a good way of bringing back beer memories, and conjuring up discussion/recommendations.

'13: Pecan Harvest Ale by Abita, Brother Benjamin by Greenbush
    '14 Xocoveza by "Stone" (really, Chris Banker, from what I know)

Pecan Harvest is decent. One-note and relatively uninteresting, but it tastes pretty good and it's a really nice sessionable Fall option. Brother Benjamin I thought was a really nice DIPA, and one of the better ones I had. I figure if I were to have another one now I wouldn't like it as much, since I've had so many better DIPAs since that time. Xocoveza is one of my favorite... what would it be called. Mexican chocolate stouts? It was a very fair price and had a lot of depth of flavor -- would like for that one to be year round.

33. Brutaltruth

Brutaltruth Poo-Bah (3,568) Mar 22, 2014 Ohio
    Society

I still love the brews I had this time last eyar, but I rate them now more based on style instead of preference....I like IPA's more than I did a year ago, but still seek balance in any brew regardless of style. I suppose the more you review the more critical one becomes but still try and be even with criticism even from a brewery I like.

34. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Disciple (344) Nov 23, 2008 New York

Can only narrow it down to one of these (purchased on 10/6/14), consumed with Sunday dinner...
    [​IMG]
    I have a vague recollection that it may have been the Victory Festbier. :rolling_eyes:

35. SerialTicker

I'm not sure I'd say I'm more critical as much as more accurate...

Ah, October 14th..

'12: This One Goes to 11 Ale by Bell's, and Shiner Oktoberfest.

This One Goes to 11 was one of my first American Barleywines. My virgin tongue could hardly handle the intense flavor and bitterness from it, but I still enjoyed it. I obviously haven't had it since (brewed once), but I would have it again if it were bottled again.

Shiner Oktoberfest I distinctly remember having while watching the Tigers playing the Yankees in 2012... and Papa Turdy was pitching for the Tigers and nearly blowing it like always. The beer itself was a standard, alright, nothing-bad-about-it Oktoberfest.

36. SerialTicker

Happy Halloween, BA!

I've had just two beers on this date: Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster by Short's, and Bourbon Barrel Neapolitan Stout by Saugatuck. PGGB by Short's was one of the first Belgian IPAs I had that turned me on to the style. I haven't had the beer for a couple years now, but I really liked it when I had it and think I may like it even more now.

The BB Neapolitan Stout, given its price difference and lack of strawberry flavor, is less enjoyable than the original offering ... still something I'd gladly have again though.

Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.