What beers are you drinking with your Thanksgiving feast?

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by mingo1968, Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mingo1968

mingo1968 Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2010 Pennsylvania

With Thanksgiving right around the corner i figure i'd get a jump on that annual question , what to drink? Do you stick with one beer for the day or mix beers as the day goes on pairing them with the foods? This year i was thinking of Bells Amber Ale. Last year it was Anchor Steam Beer. the year before was Bells Two hearted.

2. Henamonster

Henamonster Initiate (60) Feb 2, 2007 California

For me, there's the "food prep" beer, which is usually a nice stout that I can sip as I get everything going (plus, if it's a particularly hectic mid-morning, the beer doesn't suffer from warming up.) Last year, I believe it was Port's Santa's Little Helper with a brown ale or two as the cooking progressed (Abita's Pecan Harvest, Sierra Nevada's Tumbler, this year, I'll have some of The Dudes' Grandma's Pecan on hand.) The last couple of years it's been kind of fun as my girlfriend (my wife as of this year) and I would have her parents down for the holiday. Her 70 year old mother would help with the prep and keep along with the tastings as the afternoon progressed.

For the actual meal, I went with The Bruery's Autumn Maple.

Gueuze_Goon likes this.
  3. mingo1968

mingo1968 Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2010 Pennsylvania

I never thought of drinking a Stout for mid-morning prep work i am going to give that a try. Sierra's Tumbler is a great beer for the holiday. Thanks for the Stout idea . Im thinking some Left Handed Milk Stout this year.

4. Henamonster

If it's really early, you can also go with a stout brewed w/coffee (this year I'll have some Cismontane "Black's Dawn" on hand. That way, when you get the "A little early for beer isn't it?" you can always add, "It has coffee in it." Haha!

Good choice w/the Left Handed. I've had that one once and thought it was excellent.

Kerrie likes this.
  5. RBCORCORAN

RBCORCORAN Aspirant (239) May 18, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Mayflower thanksgiving ale and S.A. utpoias are a must. everything else is optional.

Henamonster likes this.
  6. spicoli00

spicoli00 Zealot (539) Jul 6, 2005 Indiana

pre-dinner, i'm thinking hottenroth so i don't get too banged up and the lemony goodness should go with cheeses and snacks.

I'm cellaring this for turkey day dinner, Rivertown Ojos Negros
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22157/83609

Post dinner, i'm thinking Stone IRS.

7. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Zealot (513) Mar 9, 2008 Washington

Every year, we participate in a fairly large Thanksgiving dinner gathering of mostly adults aged 30-60. I bring the beer --- most people drink cocktails before dinner, wine during dinner, and port and coffee for dessert.

I bring all of the beer for the few of us who drink beer. For this year, I have the following planned:

A growler of Fremont Universale Pale Ale for before dinner.
    A bottle of The Bruery Autumn Maple* and a bottle of Boulevard Love Child #3 for dinner.
    A bottle of Firestone Walker Parabola* and a bottle of Deschutes The Abyss* for dessert.

*I have brought these beers for the last 4 years, so have become my annual Thanksgiving beers.

JayPeso and Furlinator like this.
  8. willpedalforbeer

willpedalforbeer Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2012 Missouri

I wish. If I pulled out a beer my Grandma would cry and it would ruin Thanksgiving. I might eat with friends this year.:)

Marty91, ThomasMetal75 and dwagner003 like this.
  9. No1Smitty

No1Smitty Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

I love thinking about the holidays already. I'm one of the few that's disappointed when they are over. Family, beer, and food. What's not to like?

Bobo77, MikeG304, Marty91 and 3 others like this.
  10. BeerAssassin

BeerAssassin Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2012 Antarctica

In my family all the guys sit on the couch, drink beer and watch football, all the women cook it's a Thanksgiving Tradition. I think you may have done something wrong. I'll be drinking a 4 year cellared Bomber of Dragons Milk with my brother and possibly a Black Note depending how drunk I feel after the Dragons Milk (gotta be able to taste all the great food). If I tried to get any where near an oven after drinking all that I think I'd either burn myself or the house down lol.

ZAP and Henamonster like this.
  11. TheChef18

TheChef18 Initiate (192) Jun 23, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

Good Gourd and Marshall Zhukov's.

12. pweis909

pweis909 Meyvn (1,452) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Subscriber

Funny you should ask. My mother-in-law has this tradition of feeding me Thanksgiving dinner even if she doesn't see me on Thanksgiving. Last year, she drove 6 hours so I could eat Turkey on Halloween because I wouldn't be visiting for Thanksgiving. This weekend, my wife was visiting her, and she returned with roasted brined turkey, stuffing, wild rice soup, and cranberry relish (and, I kid you not, at least 200 lbs of tomatoes, potatoes, beets, hot peppers, squash, green beans, navy beans, onions, and more that I can't think of right now; my mother-in-law has the family farm at her disposal and her gardening skills considerably exceed her appetite!). I am currently washing down the turkey and stuffing with a homebrewed IPA made with English malts and American hops.

Kerrie, Geuzedad, Tilley4 and 2 others like this.
  13. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (3,712) Sep 17, 2005 Maine
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I have a Thanksgiving tradition of drinking Allagash Curieux while I cook and eat.

Geuzedad and Tilley4 like this.
  14. pweis909

pweis909 Meyvn (1,452) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Subscriber

I expect you'll get a wide range of responses because turkey is easy for beer pairings. It works well with toasty flavors (e.g., think biscuits), fruity/sour flavors (think cranberry), herby/savory flavors (hops), pumpkin pie spices, etc. My aforementioned IPA and turkey pairingturned out to be nice and I decided to have seconds of each before calling it a night. What beer style clashes with turkey? I'm not really sure. Maybe a roasty stout is not the best pairing, but I might be surprised. I've made a turkey mole in the past that I think it might have played well with roasty flavors of a stout.

15. MADhombrewer

MADhombrewer Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2008 Oregon

I had a Bitches Brew one year and thought it went perfect.

16. stncttr908

stncttr908 Initiate (0) May 14, 2009 New Jersey

Stouts, porters, and fall seasonals for me throughout the day.

Redrover and Henamonster like this.
  17. chrisbokmuller

chrisbokmuller Aspirant (234) Sep 11, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I am the only one in my family that drinks craft beer, so I always bring something for myself. I drank a couple Matilda's with food last year, that wasn't bad. I may switch to a porter of some sort this year (probably Founder's). Usually end the evening with some sort of BA goodness, either BCBS, Backwoods, BB4D, or something else I have laying around.

18. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Initiate (60) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon
    Beer Trader

My Thanksgiving tradition for the past few years has been Block 15's Figgy Pudding. One of my favourite beers and an appropriate choice for the holiday. Unfortunately, they didn't release it in bottles this past year, so I don't have any in the cellar. Gotta find a new turkey day beer!

19. NickMunford

NickMunford Savant (978) Oct 2, 2006 Wyoming

Whatever is in the fridge on that day. Most likely Sam Adams mix pack beers. Maybe if I think about it beforehand for once, I can put something special in there.

20. mattdbh

mattdbh Aspirant (206) Feb 21, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday by far. Beer, food and football!

Can't remember what all I had last year. Pretty sure it was a combination of Enjoy By and Celebration before dinner. Ommegang Abbey Ale during dinner. Belgian beers seem to pair well with turkey. I believe I had Victory at Sea with dessert. Can't wait to start thinking about what to have this year.

BRZvice, admobeer34 and BeerKangaroo like this.
  21. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Meyvn (1,064) Sep 3, 2008 California

At the rate seasonals are now released, hoping this year it's gonna be SN Celebration.

22. No1Smitty

No1Smitty Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

It's already out. So you are gonna get your wish ! :D

23. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) May 30, 2011 Alaska

Start with pumpkin ales, go to porters and/or stouts, eat the meal with water, end the day with a barleywine while watching National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

24. Henamonster

Planes, Trains and Automobiles in this household.

wavingsnail, Tilley4 and BeerKangaroo like this.
  25. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) May 30, 2011 Alaska

That one's the night before.

Henamonster likes this.
  26. smakawhat

smakawhat Poo-Bah (5,929) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Subscriber

What to drink during Thanksgiving? Simple...

everything...

27. puffingMe

puffingMe Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2013

I will taste every beer available and will stick to the best I've chose. xD I'll make myself drunk with the best ones.

28. kristougher

kristougher Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2013 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I'm thinking Tart of Darkness or Expedition Stout, never been a fan of spiced/pumpkin ales personally

BRZvice likes this.
  29. Sincronicity

Sincronicity Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2013 Nebraska

I'm not really picky. Now that I've found Beertopia and they have Schlitz, you can bet this year it won't be turkey like most folks have. For me it's ham and it will be Schlitz. Schlitz is what I grew up on in my part of the country and I haven't seen it for years, until today. I'm old enough now to buy it from the store instead of searching the ditches where the upperclassmen, who were able to finagle it by any means, and hide in ditches and culverts along country roads. I don't care if Pabst brews it as long as it's still Schlitz. So this year I can be thankful for family, what I have in life, and Schlitz.

30. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (1,744) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Hoping to procure a bottle of Thanksgiving Ale and will certainly have some Schlafly Pumpkin and probably will pull an Old Stock out of the cellar

lordofthewiens likes this.
  31. Eriktheipaman

Eriktheipaman Savant (971) Sep 4, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Saison or Biere de Garde for tha wyn!

ManforallSaisons and pwrf12 like this.
  32. craftbeerfan

craftbeerfan Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2013 California

Pumpkin Ales..just cause it's halloween =)

33. raczkowski

raczkowski Disciple (322) May 16, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

this yea i will be spending a week at my parents cabin in north carolina...i will spend a day in atlanta doing some IP trades and hitting upa couple craft bars and getting hopefully some good growlers to take and enjoy throughout the week....i honestly have not even thought about what i am goign to drink at the dinner...maybe something kinda light b/c i know im going to eat a tona nd i wanna save room for some kinda of great beer for the night cap. here is what i have so far planned to bring up and drink with my brother:

chocolate rain
    black tuesday
    life is like
    cherry rye
    bramble rye
    BCBS coffee
    marshall zhukov
    Barrel aged speedway 2012 (unless it gets drank at a tasting)
    4 BCBS
    4 KBS
    2 Imperial biscotty break
    2 imperial biscotti break natale
    1 gates of hell
    batch 6 110K from CCB
    possibly good gourd almighty

plus whatever else i can get my hands on in atlanta! if anyone has any suggestion of what i should drink at the dinner, please let me know, but most of these are heavyweights and would probably be a meal in itself lol

BRZvice and switzer like this.
  34. BeerAssassin

BeerAssassin Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2012 Antarctica

Sounds amazing, but if me and my brother tried to drink all that in a week we'd probably die lol. That said my advice is drink after the meal or at least near the end, otherwise you'll miss out on tasting some great food due to alcohol, specially with the heavyweights your bringing, but whatever you do don't waste room on something light. Thanksgiving is the ultimate day of excess and it only comes once a year.

35. RandomBattle

RandomBattle Aspirant (231) Jun 25, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

My plans for this year, as well what I had last year:

Pre-Dinner
    • Last Year - Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and probably an IPA. Went well with cheeses and crackers and various other snacky foods.
    • This Year - Thinking maybe Westbrook Gose or Bruery's Hottenroth. Something a little lighter.
    Dinner
    • Last Year - Ommegang Rare Vos. This went so well with Thanksgiving dinner. I had done the Bruery's Autumn Maple once and didn't really care for that pairing, flavors just didn't meld well.
    • This Year - I may do the Rare Vos again because it was such an unexpectedly good pairing. Otherwise I'm thinking a Saison or Biere de Garde. Maybe Bruery's Saison Rue.
    Dessert
    • Last Year - New Glarus Raspberry Tart. Can't go wrong with this one.
    • This Year - Thinking maybe Southampton IRS or Brooklyn BCS.
    Nightcap
    • Last Year/This Year - GI Bourbon County Stout!

BRZvice and CJRubes like this.
  36. mweso2000

mweso2000 Disciple (389) Apr 10, 2010 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Thanksgiving is the greatest drinking day of the year. This is an art form. Beer 1 is the turkey in the oven beer. You have been working all morning doing food prep, you are hot. A nice pilsner or lager will do the trick here. Something like Victory Prima Pils. For hors d'oeuvre you want something to compliment the food but not ruin your taste buds for dinner. A local pale ale fits the bill. For the main course a saison, triple or Belgian pale ale compliment the meal perfectly. Dessert should be a nice stout. My thought this year is FBS. Finally to ease into the night a barley wine or strong ale to sip on ends the evening in a perfect way. And all beer should be American, it is thanksgiving!

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  37. ColinStClaire

ColinStClaire Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2012 Washington

It's almost that time of year again. What are you all planning to have with your Thanksgiving day meals? Something special? Something reliable/available? The only thing I know for sure is some Abyss with some pecan pie!
    Sorry if a similar thread has already been posted, I searched around and didn't find one.

38. spicoli00

spicoli00 Zealot (539) Jul 6, 2005 Indiana

39. azorie

azorie Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

Good question one would think its time for pumpkin beers on turkey day? Since I am not a fan of those anyway, I have no idea what the current fad for turkey beer is. Its pretty cold up in the North land now is it not? I am not much on seasonals, but I did see some of the Noel stuff in the store today. I do enjoy some Belgian Noel stuff. Still I do not follow the seasons really. Brooklyn chocolate stout should be out soon, its a winter favorite of mine.

I drink stouts in the summer, but there are more of them now I think....

40. sweetwaterman

sweetwaterman Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2005 North Carolina

Homebrewed Pumpkin Ale w/ 3lb of actual pumpkin in the mash.

Geuzedad and ColinStClaire like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.