What beers are you drinking with your Thanksgiving feast?

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by mingo1968, Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColinStClaire

ColinStClaire Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2012 Washington

It doesn't get horribly cold here in the Portland area. At least not compared to the Midwest or even the Northeast. More chilly, wet, and dreary. Similar to the British Isles from what I've heard. It certainly makes for good stout drinking weather. :)

2. azorie

azorie Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

ya well its not 81f is it? lol I drink Porter everyday almost. stout=porter in my book.

3. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

I may pull something out of the cellar to split with my uncle.

4. wvdfh120fan

wvdfh120fan Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 West Virginia

I will probably crack open a DFH old school ( aged 2 years ) and a DFH 120 from 07

5. APBT91

APBT91 Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2013 North Carolina

i am accumulating a nice stash of some SN Celebration, Founders BF, SN Bigfoot and 2 different hard ciders from a local orchard/cidery- their original recipe and a dry hopped verison of the original. also looking to add tripel or witbier to the mix to share with the fam throughout the day.

mingo1968 likes this.
  6. ColinStClaire

Haha no it certainly isn't 81!

7. azorie

YOU get what I call a wet cold up there I been there in January its nasty...we get one every now and then,

8. Skull40

Skull40 Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2010 Indiana

I like to start turkey day with a couple bottles of FBS in the morning. That's what it takes to deal with the family for the rest of the day, especially the in-laws.

9. Papparoachy

Papparoachy Initiate (195) Apr 11, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

If you can find it, Mayflower Brewing Company makes a Thanksgiving Ale that pairs great with turkey. This beer got me into craft beers. Good stuff.

mingo1968 and Aaron58 like this.
  10. Aaron58

Aaron58 Initiate (194) Dec 16, 2007 Massachusetts

I have a LOT of options. Usually go with something drinkable and smooth for apps, maybe saison like Jack D'or. Im a wine guy at heart, so I usually have wine with dinner, and maybe a beer on the side.

Dessert is where I bring out the goods. Im not sure what will get open this year, but candidates are

Avery Rumkin
    Cisco Rumple Drumkin
    2012 Sucaba
    2012 Parabola
    2011 Alesmith Decadence
    2012 GI BC Coffee
    2012 Boulevard Rye on Rye

The rumkin will definitely be popped and im leaning towards one of the FW as the other.

ColinStClaire likes this.
  11. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,142) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

We've always done 3 bottles during the day. This year I think the plan is Southern Tier Pumking, New Glarus Serendipity, and an old bottle of Dry Dock Bligh's.

12. ColinStClaire

Haha. It's the opposite for me. My family is all wacky, my wife's family is awesome. My father in law just bought me one of those Game of Throne stouts as well as an Evil Dead Red from Alesmith!

13. Resuin

Resuin Meyvn (1,241) Jun 18, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I've got a CCB Good Gourd I'm saving just for Thanksgiving. Looking forward to drinking it with some pumpkin pie for dessert.

14. BB1313

BB1313 Poo-Bah (2,177) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio

Great Lakes Christmas Ale and ST Pumking is usually tradition for me..

admobeer34 likes this.
  15. Danny1217

Danny1217 Champion (833) Jul 15, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

I have a Good Gourd waiting for Thanksgiving. Not sure what I'll have besides that.

16. MrDave

MrDave Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Brown Shugga and Abacus.

JayPeso likes this.
  17. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Devotee (452) Jan 13, 2013 Maryland

I like to pair a Bière de Garde with my Thanksgiving meal. I haven't picked one out yet, I'll have to see what I can find.

18. azorie

nice I tried to find 1 today, no luck here, sadly. I should say no luck finding a real French one,lol

19. ColinStClaire

Most of my beer consumption will be the Saturday after t day when my wife and I host a "friends Thanksgiving". We will be having ham since most people will be turkeyed out. So I imagine a barley wine, oatmeal stout or some other malt forward beer would be a good choice with the main course. Anyone have some good glazed ham and beer experience they care to share?

20. ColinStClaire

Same deal with my mom haha. My wife and I often host a "friends thanksgiving" the Saturday after.

#60 ColinStClaire, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  21. highdesertdrinker

highdesertdrinker Disciple (343) Nov 5, 2012 Arizona
    Beer Trader

Oh, man, that's kinda tough, but I think I will let inspiration guide me as I will have plenty of options. Probably some Celebrations, non barrel aged barleywines, and probably a barrel aged barleywine or a Parabola for dessert. I know I'm drinking a good barrel aged barlywine and a Parabola that weekend, just not sure on the sequence. I also have to make sure I finish smoking the turkey before I REALLY put my buzz on if you know what I mean!

22. KOP_Beer_OUtlet

KOP_Beer_OUtlet Aspirant (263) Jul 13, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Thanksgiving at our house this year...background beer is SN Celebration (a tradition for years now), Bear's Black Racer, Victory's Dirt Wolf, SN Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale, then we'll finish with Ten Fidy around a bon fire weather permitting...oh yeah Coors light for the sister in law.

highdesertdrinker likes this.
  23. WTKeene

WTKeene Defender (667) Jul 13, 2013 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

I've actually got some good ciders that I'm planning on saving for Turkey day. I grew up with sparkling cider, so now that I'm 21 hard ciders seem only natural. I'll probably drink a nice stout with dessert (perhaps Warlock), and while cooking, it will be whatever I have on hand, probably something lower in alcohol.

24. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (1,539) Jun 18, 2010 New York

Last year I opened Bruery Autumn Maple to pair with dinner, and BBC Merry Mischief with dessert.

25. spicoli00

spicoli00 Defender (641) Jul 6, 2005 Indiana

26. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (1,577) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Subscriber

In the past I've tried to have New Glarus' Raspberry Tart or Wisconsin Red, but my quick trip to Wisconsin a couple of weeks ago produced neither. But I did get some Serendipity and some Strawberry Rhubarb, so it will be one of them. I've never had either of them to know which will work better with a turkey dinner with the trimmings, so does anyone have a recommendation for which one?

27. Providence

Providence Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

Same here. Even at age 31 I get giddy with the holidays.

As for the question at hand.....not sure, but I think a tall boy of Narragansett Bohemian Pils will find it's way to my hand. I usually enjoy a nice cider on Thanksgiving as well.

No1Smitty likes this.
  28. JrGtr

JrGtr Disciple (378) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

Since I moved in with my GF (now wife, as of this past weekend, yikes!!) we've been hosting the T-giving stuff-fest. Fortunately that gives me access to my cellar.
    I generally don't plan too far ahead, but I know this year a couple of my homebrews will be featured, a pale ale loosely based on the SN New Albion, and my sour (RR COnsecration clone) as well as whatever else I feel like.
    I can't cook with it, since her sister is gluten-intolerant, along with a soy allergy, (correction: I cook with it, but I can't put any in the recipe)
    I do have a cider drinking nicely now, but this year's won't be ready in time.

Henamonster likes this.
  29. rowingbrewer

rowingbrewer Champion (841) May 28, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Prior to the meal either while cooking or watching football drink what you want but I would stay away from filling beers think dry pale ale, saison, or session ales (I will open an Arthur as well as a growler of Edward. I think a malt forward but nicely bitter beer such as mayflower thanksgiving ale or something like than is great for dinner itself as it should go fairly well with everything on the plate. Then switch to something like a barleywine, imp stout, or quad depending on your preference to pair with dessert I will likely open a barleywine myself maybe central waters bbbw

30. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (3,815) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber

I think Belgian Dark Ales go great with a rich meal. Last year I served St. Bernardus Abt 12 for my family.

31. mctizzz

mctizzz Devotee (483) Dec 23, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Home brews during the day,
    Matilda or something from Rustic Ales with dinner,
    Rumpkin and Almanac Heirloom with/for dessert.

32. pimpinmidget

pimpinmidget Aspirant (289) Mar 20, 2012 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

A new brewery is opening this Saturday in my town, and they have a beer called Thanksgiving Day leftovers. It is a cranberry sauce saison - hope I can get a growler of that and enjoy it on Thanksgiving

33. GeorgiaKiwi

GeorgiaKiwi Aspirant (261) Dec 7, 2007 Georgia
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Tank 7 has become our staple with the turkey. Probably some Jai Alai earlier and Wake and Bake or KBS with dessert.

34. jwheeler87

jwheeler87 Aspirant (226) Oct 27, 2011 Massachusetts

I LOOOOVE Thanksgiving. Hands down one of the best days of the year. This year is Founder's FBS with breakfast. Sierra Nevada Celebration for the in-between pacer beers. Firestone Sucaba 2012 with dinner. 2013 Boulevard BBQ with dessert. Finally, 2012 BCBS for a nightcap. (All beers are subject to change).

JayPeso and Henamonster like this.
  35. BeerAssassin

BeerAssassin Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2012 Antarctica

How will you able to taste the food if you drink that much?

36. jwheeler87

jwheeler87 Aspirant (226) Oct 27, 2011 Massachusetts

Pacing man. Pacing. I'm up early on that day to help cook everything, and go to bed super late. Been done before...

37. Relik

Relik Aspirant (200) Apr 20, 2011 Nova Scotia (Canada)

my go to pairing with a turkey dinner is a Gueuze, seems odd at first but really works with the light turkey flavor, the gravy and the peppery stuffing and the buttery notes on the veg and the skin of the bird.
    mind you the turkey i do is roasted, pairing would change if it was fried or smoked.

38. CowsandBeer

CowsandBeer Devotee (481) Sep 24, 2012 Nebraska
    Beer Trader

How about you guys invite me over to your family events?
    My fam doesn't drink at all.
    I'll be spending it this year with my gf's family. Her dad is only into Guinness and her mom is allergic to gluten. :(

39. Henamonster

Henamonster Initiate (60) Feb 2, 2007 California

Anchor Porter was my intro to the craft beer scene, so that's definitely a solid choice.

CowsandBeer likes this.
  40. GatorGirl

GatorGirl Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2013 Florida

Good Gourd and Autumn Maple are taking me up to the news year.

Henamonster likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe