What beers do you feel are overrated/overhyped?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Chuck2319, Oct 11, 2018 at 9:35 PM.

1. scream

scream Zealot (569) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

We were at Russian River 1.5 wks ago and I steered away from the Pliny to try something else -I believe it was Happy Hops, decent but did not rock my world. Blind Pig was not available.That being said, one of my favorites from years ago and I still enjoy is Bateman's XXXB. It was one of the 1st I enjoyed after getting away from BMC after spending time in Germany in the service and drinking better lagers. Is it the same as I remember it, no. Our tastes change over time.

nc41, colts9016, LuskusDelph and 4 others like this.
  2. brutalfarce

brutalfarce Initiate (113) Mar 23, 2018 Connecticut
    Trader

Absolutely did not love it just like dinner but the point was too malty for my taste good but I got 3 bottles in a trade quickly gave away the other 2 lol

colts9016 and vabeerguy like this.
  3. zid

zid Champion (878) Feb 15, 2010 New York

You’re being a bit tongue in cheek, but your reasoning revolves around the idea that you can see clearer than other people... but you didn’t mention the most obvious explanation: “Maybe” different people have different opinions.

And no, I never had FoGr918. Speaking of the specific beer you mentioned - Apologies for going further into the curmudgeon role, but except for someone typing “SNPA” in a Sierra Nevada discussion, I wish beer name abbreviations would die an ugly death. Feels like the more effort someone puts into obtaining a beer, the less effort they put into actually spelling it. :wink::slight_smile:

4. mambossa

mambossa Initiate (125) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio

PREACH!! :beers:

5. Ceddd99

Ceddd99 Initiate (78) May 14, 2018 Michigan
    Trader

Locally I think Bell's Oberon and Bell's Two Hearted are two of the most overrated beers. I actually don't appreciate anything from Bell's and I gave up on them after trying 6 or 7 of their offerings trying to figure out why they are so popular but to no avail.

A couple of other beers I think are overrated are Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest and Sam Adams Boston Lager. These aren't bad beers they just don't live up to the hype.

6. Hoppsbabo

Hoppsbabo Champion (860) Jan 29, 2012 United Kingdom (England)
    Trader

Everything from Cantillon & Sammy Smiths.

Weihenstephaner Original is a downright horrible lager.

rozzom, Shanex, colts9016 and 2 others like this.
  7. shadyside

shadyside Aspirant (292) Feb 27, 2011 Georgia

8. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Aspirant (230) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

Throw their Amber Ale in there as well. They are popular because they are hop heavy and people think more hops = good. Classic wheat beers and amber ales have been around for centuries and some brewery in America taking the style and adding more hops and spiciness than is needed doesnt make it "better" imo. it just makes it awkward.

colts9016 and LuskusDelph like this.
  9. DarkDragon999

The taste is overrated but that pie crust smell is oh so good. One of the few beers Id rather smell than drink.

colts9016 likes this.
  10. DarkDragon999

Guinness Draught, the one we get in America, is very thin and watery. Have no idea why anyone drinks it when the Extra Stout is clearly better.

11. Chuck2319

Chuck2319 Initiate (46) Apr 13, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Listen up, curmudgeon; it’s FoB4 :wink: You’re absolutely right in that beer tasting is nothing, if not subjective. I suppose my motive was more tuned to a cross reference of sorts, and finding some common beers that many thought were overrated. And yes, these beer names and acronyms are getting out of control. I’ve had to use the Google machine many a time to solve some of these encryptions.

colts9016 and zid like this.
  12. NextBestThing

NextBestThing Initiate (171) Apr 5, 2008 New York

Bourbon County.

Alpha King.

Bright w/Nelson.

colts9016 likes this.
  13. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (339) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

OMG, someone stop this dangerous maniac! Or maybe I'm the maniac because I'm crazy about that beer.

I'm another NEIPA skeptic. I enjoy a good NEIPA enough but I never want a second after the first. I think my relative lack of enthusiasm for the style has less to do with the flavor than with the softness; I want my IPAs to bite back a bit more. Also, I'd like them to be priced more affordably. And if someone would make me a sandwich that'd be great.

14. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (2,216) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Premium Trader

In my experience, approaching each beer on its own as it sits in my glass and how it looks, smells, tastes, and feels to me on that particular day instead of basing it on ratings from others has made my beer nerdery journey very enjoyable.

15. Chuck2319

Chuck2319 Initiate (46) Apr 13, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

I dig!!!! But the problem originates when I see ass-kicking reviews for particular beers, then I invariably seek them out. FOMO is a bitch.

SFACRKnight, colts9016 and ovaltine like this.
  16. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (805) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

You are a bad person.

17. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

If by "overrated" you mean "fucking gross", then, yeah, Pumking is overrated.

DISKORD, BeerZar, SFACRKnight and 8 others like this.
  18. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (106) Feb 13, 2018 New York

I think it is OK to revisit topics.

These days I tend to not seek beyond what is offered at my local store(s), so most of my disappointments are not especially current.Here they are in any event...
    • Goose Island King Henry
    • Bourbon County Barleywine (I still have 3 bottles from a 4-pack purchased the first year)
    • Bourbon County Cherry Rye
    • Pliny the Elder: I waited many years to try it and I'm glad I never took drastic measures to obtain it.
    • Tree House Bright
    I think a better topic is beers you miss that are no longer available due to the myopic lens that broke down the more worldly parameters that "craft"' beer used to encompass.

19. thuey

thuey Aspirant (204) Nov 13, 2015 California

Totally agreed, but I'd put Heady Topper on that list too. In fact, of the 3 - PtE is the only one I'd drink again. I just flat out didn't like Two Hearted and Heady.

20. Ranbot

Ranbot Zealot (535) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

By taste alone I think Pilsner Urquel is just OK, but when I have it I also think of the history behind it. I wouldn't want to see that legacy disappear, so I'll get some occasionally.

colts9016 and Shanex like this.
  21. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,450) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

Sandwiches always taste better when made by someone else. :slight_smile:

22. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,413) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

Oh buddy, I really liked you, but now ... :stuck_out_tongue:

Overhyped/overrated to me means not that the beer wasn't good, just that it wasn't as good as I expected given the widespread praise. In that vein, anything I've had from Treehouse I'd consider overrated, but in particular Julius. Locally, Mikerphone is my overrated brewery. Almost every hyped beer I've had from them was underwhelming.

THANAT0PSIS, colts9016 and Shanex like this.
  23. Shanex

Shanex Champion (831) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Trader

Spot on and that’s a better way of putting it than I did...

See above - bro-hug. :wink:

24. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,426) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Hmmm, interesting theory. What do you suppose was in the lunchboxes of the folks that love bitter bombs?

colts9016, meefmoff and GuyFawkes like this.
  25. RickBelgique

RickBelgique Initiate (54) Jul 16, 2014 Illinois

Bourbon County is just too over-the-top syrupy for me.

Also, I've never understood the hype about Westvleteren. Agreed, it's a good beer, but I think that Rochefort, St. Bernardus, and Chimay have much tastier offerings. I was lucky enough to get a bottle while in Belgium, and it underwhelmed me. Went right back to the Rochefort. IMO, Wesvleteren has the same aura around it that Coors did back in the 60's and 70's, east of the Mississippi. You can't get it, so you have get hold of it.

colts9016 and LuskusDelph like this.
  26. Izzy_Izumi

Izzy_Izumi Initiate (57) Aug 3, 2017 California
    Trader

I've not been a fan of most Treehouse things I've tried. Cycle's weekday stuff, but I'll also admit I like it a lot.

Ooooh, gotta add DeGarde's The Purple. Was super looking forward to it...but I had it and it didn't hit the usual deGarde flavor notes for me. Juicy to the point of...I'd rather drink a juice box. And I love most of dG's stuff.

Locally, Beachwood's Thrillseeker. My group loves the stuff, and look forward to when it's brewed. I could care less and actually actively avoid it. There's something about the recipe that just...it's like young pepper all the way 'round.

#66 Izzy_Izumi, Oct 12, 2018 at 4:13 PM
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 4:18 PM
    colts9016 likes this.
  27. Ranbot

Ranbot Zealot (535) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

I have a similar thought on Milkshake IPAs... if I wanted a fruity booze bomb I'd make a smoothie and add a shot or two of vodka in the blender.

The fruited milkshake IPAs annoy me more than the pastry stouts. The pastry stout is trying to recreate a typically solid dessert in liquid form, which could be unique and takes some creativity, even if I don't personally go for them. The Milkshake IPAs though are mimicking the flavor of another drink that is comparatively easy, cheap, and probably will taste better. Why spend the time, energy, and money to boil, ferment, package, and store a beer when a cheap blender, your favorite fresh fruit, and some vodka can make an amazing fresh fruit alcho-smoothie? Real smoothies have no risk of exploding cans either.

28. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (339) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Pretty much scientifically proven, yes.

29. Selby56

Selby56 Initiate (70) Nov 12, 2014 Tennessee

I've never been crazy about Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA. I've had it once out of a bottle and twice on draft, just didn't see anything special about it.

30. sharpski

sharpski Champion (834) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Trader

Don’t you remember the kid who had a full-size coffee thermos in 2nd grade?

nw2571, SFACRKnight, bret717 and 2 others like this.
  31. Celtics76

Celtics76 Defender (654) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

I would qualify any NE IPA that you have to wait in line for as being "overhyped". They're all so similar, it's easy (at least in these parts) to find a great one that may be underappreciated, and easy to acquire.

colts9016, Daveshek28 and Chuck2319 like this.
  32. matthewp

matthewp Initiate (154) Feb 27, 2015 Massachusetts

So many beers are hyped because when they came out they were "ground breaking" for their style. Heady Topper, Pliny, Dinner, BCBS, KBS, etc. have been around for a while now but when they first came out the beer environment was vastly different. Lots of times that initial first drink blows you away because its different and you later realize there isn't as much complexity there as you drink several of them.

I started drinking craft beer in the early 90's. Certainly if you asked my ratings for most of the beers available then I would have rated them much higher than I would today. The beer quality hasn't gone down in those beers but I have drank a lot more styles and a lot more beers to compare against. The same things people say about beers today such as breweries just opening up and putting anything out with little to no quality could also be said back in the early 90's. That was one of the first boom times and there was a lot of junk coming out.

Even if the style isn't new it can still be new to the person drinking it or they may have never had one of that quality before. The first time I had Tree House Julius it was incredible. This is several years ago and no other beer had such an amazing smell. The beer was hours old and even before opening the can it smelled like hops. I could still taste hops probably an hour after finishing it. I've had hundreds of similar beers now so while I may even consider it the best NEIPA I've had it doesn't live up to the hype of that first time.

I read lots of people saying that they don't change ratings of beers over time. I find that hard to believe unless you have done some training or studying in tasting beers. I also find it hard to believe that you don't fall victim to rating a beer based on the experience. Whether because of the newness of the style or due to external things like being with good friends. You may not change the rating dramatically but I can certainly see swaying a quarter of a point or so over time. Sometimes I get excited just because a beer isn't another NEIPA! I like them and all but for gosh sake enough.

DanCuzz, dukeandduke, bret717 and 7 others like this.
  33. zid

You've clearly never had a sandwich made by my mother.

34. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,108) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Trader

Oh boy, here we go again.

colts9016 and zid like this.
  35. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

That last bit almost made water come out of my nose.

36. zid

You typed water, but we all know you really meant beer.

It's OK, I'm not judging... I currently have Edelstoff coming out of my eyes. :sob:

37. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,450) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

My sympathies :slight_smile:.

And everyone who's disappointed in their Pliny can just send their extras to me!

38. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Zealot (526) Dec 12, 2014 California

(Fundamental Observation) Best Stout I have tried here in California, but in general I like the Midwest Stout game better.

39. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Zealot (526) Dec 12, 2014 California

Two Hearted >>>> Pliny :stuck_out_tongue:

colts9016 and GuyFawkes like this.
  40. Dave_S

Dave_S Initiate (46) May 18, 2017 England

Okay, I think that among people who are willing to pay $60 for an un-aged bottle, Cantillon is definitely overrated. Hell, I'd struggle to think of a beer that wouldn't be. When you're paying about seven Euros from the brewery for an equivalent (750ml) bottle and not putting it on an untouchable pedestal, fair enough, it's great beer that stands shoulder-to-shoulder with a lot of other great beers.