Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

What beers do you use for cooking recipes?

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by johnsonni, Jun 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HopRoz

HopRoz Apr 11, 2013 New York

Drunkenly contributed some Brooklyn Brewery Oktoberfest to ground beef used in nachos that fed three very single men for an entire night. It worked surprisingly well with the spices that we had used-I believe the malt grounded it in a way similar to a well-built IPA using malt to ground aggressive hops. We plan to make several other batches with different beers (and some whiskeys) to help season the meat...as I said, we are very single, and usually hungry.

El_Chupahueso likes this.
  2. MikeReserva

MikeReserva May 28, 2013 Netherlands
    Beer Trader

Replace half of the amount of wine by Rochefort 10 in a Boeuff Bourguignon.

3. pweis909

pweis909 Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin

I pretty much only use homebrews to cook. My foods tend to be simple 1-pot meals, like the turkey chipotle chile w/ dark mild that I made a couple days ago, cassolet-type dishes in a crockpot with Berliner weisse, and risotto with pumpkin ale (which I have only brewed 1x because I didn't care to drink the stuff).

4. brewmandan

brewmandan May 10, 2010 Iowa

I use a pilsner for my cooking. More times than not, it's a cheap beer like Keystone or PBR.

5. wavingsnail

wavingsnail Oct 14, 2013 California

I've found you can substitute beer for chicken/beef stock in.any recipe that calls for it. If substituting beer for water called for in a recipe, I usually do a 75/25 split, with beer being the winner.

as far as what I cook with, rogue chipotle ale or (our local brewery) tioga sequoia's Joaquin murrieta, which is also a Chile pepper beer, and, in my opinion, trumps rogue chipotle. I mostly use these for crockpot recipes ; pulled pork, shredded chicken, ground beef for sloppy Joe's or tacos.

Alaskan brewing co. has a recipe for a really solid stroganoff using their smoked porter, but I've used stone as well, and there wasn't much of a difference.

oh, and earlier this week I used some bruery sour in the rye with kumquats to make a pretty damned amazing vinaigrette for a mixed green salad.

El_Chupahueso likes this.
  6. lokieman

lokieman Jan 20, 2011 Oklahoma

Texas style chili with Alaskan Smoked Porter is freaking delicious. I've also made Texas style turkey chili with half Celebration and half Black Butte Porter and it was fantastic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe