What beers would you want from Europe?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by portersinparis, Jul 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,057) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Haha yeah was going to say this too. "No problem mate I'll just take the Saint Sixtus / Belgium exit on the Euro 1 turnpike. It's the exit before Denmark / Scandanavia, Other"

Shanex likes this.
  2. portersinparis

portersinparis Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2015 France

HAHAHA. I was reading on another forum that someone in the New England area was going to do a Hill's Farmstead/Allagash roadtrip this weekend, so then I looked up the distance from my house to Westvleteren and it turns out to be the same driving time for both... I remember driving from Maine to Ohio for college and doing 15 hours in one day. In Europe, I won't do more than 8 hours in one day. I can't explain it but long drives are exhausting here.

3. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,057) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Haha totally man. I'm from UK and live in NYC now. I've driven to HF from NYC without thinking it was that big of a deal. Driving from Edinburgh to London though (about same time) used to feel like an epic pain in the arse. Doesn't make sense as (generally; and I know I'm biased) road quality and drivers tend to be better in Europe as well, so should be less exhausting if anything.

4. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2012 California

Really?

2 places near me dhave the 750 bottles of 3F Gueze. I have never seen Cantillon on a shelf. Anywhere.

Good call on the Mort Subite. I don't recall ever seeing it on the shelf either.

5. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,789) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

I meant in Europe. I'm 1/2 convinced 3F is more common in the US than even in Brussels.

6. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (8,305) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Achel Extra Blonde
    Numerous Czech Polotmavý
    Regional German Rauch's
    Mönchshof Kellerbier (Kellerbräu) had a friggin empty bottle in my hand in Berlin which is as close as I got...
    Panil Barrique Italy Version
    Panil Barriquée Riserva
    Xyauyù brews (I could pull the trigger on this but time will come)
    Drie Fonteinen Kriek
    U Fleku
    Eszett Geuze | Braustelle (it's retired, I don't care I would love to drink it)
    Original Pfaffen
    Unfiltered Pilsner Urquell
    Dirty Horse
    Kaggen! Stormaktsporter
    Armand Gueuzes of Lente, Hiver or Autumn

7. SummitSeries72

SummitSeries72 Initiate (128) Mar 17, 2011 New Jersey

Augustiner Brau Helles, the best beer in Munich.

8. beerindex

beerindex Initiate (118) Jun 18, 2007 Michigan

De Molen is absolutely available in the US. In fact, because it is imported by Shelton, it is widely distributed. However, we don't tend to see any of the fun limited variants here. Now, whether those leave NL at all I don't know. So, for example, we've seen Hel & Verdoemenis, but never the Bowmore or Cognac BA version.

9. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,423) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

I just want to get my hands on more Omnipollo IPAs. I had Fatamorgana on tap once and I was blown away.

phillyhops likes this.
  10. portersinparis

I think I'm just going to have to take lots of pictures in whatever bottle shops I make it to during this trip for reference. Do you know if Wild Beer Company is imported ?

11. portersinparis

Had a bunch of Omnipollo in Florence this winter. Love Fatamorgana. Don't see it as much in Paris, but other Italian beers are big here. I've been drinking a lot of Toccalmatto and LoverBeer does a lot of great wild things.

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  12. portersinparis

So my go-to shops are dry on Cantillon right now, but there's a shop across town that has several bottles in stock. Only problem is that they are about 30% more than I am used to paying for them (30 euros for a 75cl bottle). What do they usually go for in the US ?

13. beerindex

Wild does hit the US, though the distro isn't as wide as with De Molen. For example, I'm in Grand Rapids and don't see beer from Wild, though it sat endlessly on the shelves when I lived in St Louis. By contrast, I've had access to De Molen in both cities.

portersinparis likes this.
  14. beerindex

Depends on the bottle. To give you an idea though, I just paid $30 for a bottle of Vigneronne earlier this month. 375s of the basics (Gueuze, Kriek, Rose) seem to go for $13-16 around here. Special stuff like St Lamvinus I haven't seen in years, but used to buy for around $45.

portersinparis likes this.
  15. Johnct

Johnct Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2014 New York

I'd say go for something that isn't a hype machine. Something that they other wise wouldn't try due to the low amount of reviews and high price in the states. Like Loverbeer, Baladin, Kormoran, etc.

16. portersinparis

From the looks of the photo the shop owner sent me, they have Saint Lamvinus, Iris, Rose de Gambrinus, Lou Pepe Gueuze, and Kriek. I think I'll just pick up one for my friend since they pretty overpriced, and I have a couple of other non-exported French bottles to bring him (plus a bunch of Bordeaux for my Dad). Would you say the Saint Lamvinus would be the best choice because it is less exported ?

17. portersinparis

Man I love LoverBeer. They've done some tap takeovers here but I still haven't seen it in bottles regularly !

Johnct likes this.
  18. phillyhops

phillyhops Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 New Jersey

yellow belly sundae and double barrel noa pecan mudcake from buxton/omnipollo

Johnct likes this.
  19. elucas730

elucas730 Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2010 New York

All of those are desirable in the US. In order of desirability, I'd say St. Lam, LPK, Iris, LPG, Rose

20. NCCIndy

NCCIndy Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2015 Indiana

Siren makes it to shelves in Kentucky

21. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,268) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Innumerable nameless non-exported beers from southern Germany, Austria, and the Czech Republic. The beers one drinks when casually travelling.

22. kkdowning

kkdowning Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2009 Pennsylvania

From my experience, nothing gets me more excited when I'm in Europe than fresh, unfiltered Pilsner Urquell.

Billet and ThisWangsChung like this.
  23. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,544) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

You mentioned "Europe", have you drank unfiltered Pilsner Urquell outside of the Czech Republic? Have your drinking experiences been solely on draft?

Cheers!

24. kkdowning

kkdowning Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2009 Pennsylvania

It has been draught only in my experience. Though, I have had it in Belgium as well as in Austria and Hungary. It's such a shame because beers such as this are incredible, yet difficult to come by.

Johnct and JackHorzempa like this.
  25. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,544) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

kkdowning and Johnct like this.
  26. beerindex

I personally prefer LPK, and we seem to get that even less often than St Lam in the US. But either is a great point.

27. Johnct

I see them all the time around New England. They sit on the shelves because the cheapest one I've seen is about $20. I've only ever had them on tap in Italy since they're a quarter the price

28. HeyItsThatGuy

HeyItsThatGuy Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2016 Illinois

More Sours Ya Dingus! :grinning:

29. portersinparis

For the curious, I picked up a bottle of Lou Pepe Gueuze 2013 and a St Lamvinus. I also have a couple little bottles of local favorites. Now to figure out what to bring back from the US for my friends here !

cavedave likes this.
  30. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,795) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Society Trader

Founders is hard to find in Europe. Even online. Prairie Bomb at 10€ the bottle was a no-no.

31. Johnct

I'll be the one to say it... find some Tree House

32. rronin

rronin Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2005 Washington

I need a little help here. My doctor (!) recommended a Belgian ale, the name was short and funny, I can't remember it, comes in a 8.5 oz bottle, foil around the top. Any assistance would be appreciated. He said it was great stuff.

33. rronin

rronin Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2005 Washington

Found it! It was SCALDIS.

34. Est91

Est91 Initiate (0) Nov 10, 2010 Thailand

I think usually the funky spontaneous fermentation ones like gueuzes from Tilquin, Fantome, and Cantillon. Probably because of how rare they are being so bound to their geography.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.